Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Waltzing Along posted:

Don't step on Leg-ow's!

https://youtu.be/fQ-kmV7qr-Q?t=47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Waltzing Along posted:

Looks good. Kinda think the black could be replaced with blue. The black stands out against the grey in an odd way. Maybe dark grey? But classic space blue/grey w/ the yellow highlighting will always be great.

I particularly like the tubes on the outside of the wings.

Thanks. I get what you're saying about the black, but I am using the Unitron colour scheme here which does have black. I took a lot of inspiration from a Unitron set actually:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I see, but that has white rather than grey. I like yours more than that one, anyway.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
It's grey actually. That photo does look white on second glance though. If you don't believe me look it up on Bricklink.

Thanks though, I have that set and I like the general shape of that ship but it's actually kind of ugly when built so I wanted to improve on it

1000 Brown M and Ms fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 13, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1282638978596974592?s=20

https://www.vjgamer.com.hk/articles/2020/07/13/69964

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 13, 2020

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Mario moves as well with the turn of a crank.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Some day Nintendo and LEGO will surely combine for something decent.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
That owns, what are you talking about

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That’s far better than the electronic Mario sets.

I give it a week before someone puts an emulator in it.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 13, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah they’re playing catch up.

https://twitter.com/lego_group/status/1282646017616367616

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Goddamn, they made a Mario set that I want. I'm glad they didn't completely snub the adult fans with the license.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Some more shots here:
https://www.vjgamer.com.hk/articles/2020/07/13/69964/lego-71374-nintendo-entertainment-system

The reddit link claims August 1st, 229 Euros, but I dont think that's actually on the page?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh man, that TV is directly from my childhood :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best page number for that to show up on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chairchucker posted:

Some day Nintendo and LEGO will surely combine for something decent.
Huh? that's a fantastic set, and a really neat display piece akin to the piano and typewriter and other "real world items but lego" people have been asking for for YEARS that also appears to have working mechanisms inside the TV set? what's your beef with it? it looks phenomenal to me.

I love the little goomba/mushroom tile, and the weird Mario sprite piece. The TV is a TINY bit too old for even the kind I had, I had a boxy gunmetal grey slab of a thing in my house when I was a kid, but it's a great looking set and I'll definitely be picking at least one up.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Does the background scroll? In the extended picture set there are arrows indicating it might. I’d be curious to see how that was pulled off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It either scrolls or is designed to be easily replaceable because the photos show three different scenes (and one of them is the same scene scrolled to the right so it's super likely the background moves).

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
What's with all the weird jagged edges?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Thanks. I get what you're saying about the black, but I am using the Unitron colour scheme here which does have black. I took a lot of inspiration from a Unitron set actually:

I just disassembled this set, still together from when I built it ~20 years ago. I'd forgotten about the hidden laser guns under the panels!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
The antennae and rca jacks are nice touches. My tv just had the two screws and we eventually got one with the coax the nes used so a coax would have been nice but its still cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

uXs posted:

What's with all the weird jagged edges?

In the photo? Probably just a badly taken picture. In the set itself? The background scrolling would explain a lot.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
One leaked photo implied the crank moved Mario up and down as the background scrolled.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Captain Invictus posted:

In the photo? Probably just a badly taken picture. In the set itself? The background scrolling would explain a lot.

Yeah I think it’s a mix of aliasing in the photo and the tiles being on a flexible scroll or something so they aren’t flush with each other as they would be on a flat base.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Scipiotik posted:

One leaked photo implied the crank moved Mario up and down as the background scrolled.
It kind of looks like Mario is attached to a transparent round piece that would ride on the tiles that are protruding from the background as it scrolls. Good idea but the movement may look a little janky then.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ChesterJT posted:

The antennae and rca jacks are nice touches. My tv just had the two screws and we eventually got one with the coax the nes used so a coax would have been nice but its still cool.

Ask me about the three (3) NES RF adapters I still own

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a very pandering set but also cool as hell. I will definitely be getting it.

I wonder if it was designed by that MOC builder who now works for Lego and is known for doing a lot of builds like that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

oof wow. almost 2700 parts. That poo poo is going to be expensive.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It looks pretty cool, but $200+? Eeeuurgh. For $200 you could buy a real NES with some games and get a nicer old CRT from goodwill or craigslist. It would look about the same on display but you could actually play games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol I would much rather have that than a real NES and a CRT.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

From that article it looks like the Lego electronic Mario also interacts with it, so that'll probably jack up the price

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

229.99 Euro per the leaks, so that's what, $250 in the states?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Lol I would much rather have that than a real NES and a CRT.

I blame that drat controller for RSI in my thumbs. NES was a important part of me growing up but I never want to use one again.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

That's an incredible set but I don't know what to do with the classic NES I already have. I'd be ok with just the TV, can't wait to see the mechanism if it does actually scroll.

I was messing around with some rare earth magnets trying to make some kind of M-tron racer with magnets allowing things to levitate and I learned about Earnshaw's theorem and I have never been so disappointed by the laws of physics since I was a little kid.

TL;DR, static magnets can't levitate anything because the system will stabilise into the magnets being in contact. You need either motion (like a spinning top) or electromagnets with sensors to counter the imbalance in order for something to levitate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FBS posted:

229.99 Euro per the leaks, so that's what, $250 in the states?

Yeah it's a neat set, but tbh $80 is probably where I'd cap off at paying for a novelty Lego Nintendo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it's a neat set, but tbh $80 is probably where I'd cap off at paying for a novelty Lego Nintendo.

Yeah. That's why my point of you could actually buy the real thing for that price. I'm not suggesting doing it.

Like, who is going to buy a $150k Lego set of a 911? Model replicas are supposed to be cheaper than the item not more expensive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that Chris McVeigh's work? I think I saw he works for Lego now. It looks similar to other things he has made. And I'm guessing that the screen is on a rotating tank treads like what he used for his vintage radio.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

It looks pretty cool, but $200+? Eeeuurgh. For $200 you could buy a real NES with some games and get a nicer old CRT from goodwill or craigslist. It would look about the same on display but you could actually play games.

you cant get all that for $200

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

you cant get all that for $200

Playing old video games and building a model of something are also vastly different experiences so I’m not really sure what their point was with that post :shrug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As an old that grew up with the NES, and also lived through the 20 or so years that old consoles and CRTs were literally worthless, watching zoomers pay top dollar for old dated tech that weighs 100lbs is very funny to me. I'll just play those old games on my switch, and sparingly because tbh they aren't that good for the most part.

I get it though. This is how boomers seemed to feel about me collecting vinyl in the late 90s. like "why the hell are you buying records? We have CDs now". I can see the novelty factor, but I have no romantic feelings towards old dated poo poo anymore. Give me the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

As an old that grew up with the NES, and also lived through the 20 or so years that old consoles and CRTs were literally worthless, watching zoomers pay top dollar for old dated tech that weighs 100lbs is very funny to me. I'll just play those old games on my switch, and sparingly because tbh they aren't that good for the most part.

I get it though. This is how boomers seemed to feel about me collecting vinyl in the late 90s. like "why the hell are you buying records? We have CDs now". I can see the novelty factor, but I have no romantic feelings towards old dated poo poo anymore. Give me the future.

Yes! Thank you. I've loved video games since the Atari but honestly most old games are terrible and the ones that aren't terrible per se have a modern equivalent that is still better. If I feel too nostalgic I'll just think of Ice Hockey or Top Gun.