Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It doesn't have politics. It has political aesthetics and co-opts the idea of protesters and activists but they very carefully never mention what the protesters are protesting against or what the activists are organizing for. I mean, outside of "bad guys are bad" I guess. Maybe I'm wrong about this and the game will openly advocate for non-hierarchical political and economic structures and the abolition of private property but it sure seems like they are just using anarchist street action as a coat of paint for a bad open world game to me.

Legion is very political, it's the one without the Ubisoft copout. Its announcement was literally Clint Hocking going on stage at E3 and talking about how hosed things are already. Lots of the interviews afterwards were about how Brexit's affected the vision for the game's world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yes I'm sure, much like the leadup to fc5 was about a deep look into modern American politics

Don't fall for this poo poo again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pentyne posted:

It's been delisted. It's Sisters in Hotel, a VN game I'm pretty sure they stole assets for since there's multiple times where the character art is wildly different.

aye aye, I'll keep working on my own mountain:

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
The Elite is not enough better than a regular XBox to justify the cost, IMO, but it is the best controller I’ve ever used, or rather, it was the best until the revised Elite came out. If you play a ton of games (or are bad with money like me) then pick it up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Yes I'm sure, much like the leadup to fc5 was about a deep look into modern American politics

Don't fall for this poo poo again.

They distanced themselves from that poo poo immediately on FC5. It was all outside sources hoping for a look into American politics from the setting alone. Besides, I trust Hocking to actually at least try to say something, since he's the guy behind Chaos Theory and Far Cry 2.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if you think about it. one day, in the far future, nobody on your friends list will log on anymore. that's deep!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Xbox One controller has good analog sticks, but the buttons aren't "clicky" enough and the DPad is too tight and mushy and just not satisfying. It also has a giant light on the face which blinds you while playing a game in the dark.
I honestly don't get why they decided that the Xbone controller should be asymmetrical. The different layout of stick/buttons would bug the hell out of me.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Legion is very political, it's the one without the Ubisoft copout. Its announcement was literally Clint Hocking going on stage at E3 and talking about how hosed things are already. Lots of the interviews afterwards were about how Brexit's affected the vision for the game's world.

I just watched that announcement video and it seemed purposefully vague, tbh. He did mention Brexit and deportations but just threw out "authoritarian government" as a descriptor for the bad guys. He literally said you can play as MI5 operatives as if they were the good guys, ffs. When I watched the trailer on youtube, there were several comments by chuds who saw the "authoritarian government" as communists and the protagonists as agreeing with them. Granted, chuds aren't generally the sharpest knives in the drawer but still, it was vague enough that they felt like the game included them and their ideas. To me, it looks like a wishy-washy liberal take on street activism where they kind of wink and nod that they are on the right side but don't want to alienate anyone who might buy the game.

I'm not expecting video games to have nuanced and well-examined political analysis but it looks pretty skeevy to me for them to adopt the trappings of resistance without actually acknowledging what they are resisting. It would be cool if I was wrong and the game stated baldly that capitalism is source of the authoritarianism but I don't see that happening. It doesn't help that the other game they announced, FC6, is set in an "authoritarian" latin american country which, I mean, holy poo poo

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

StrixNebulosa posted:

aye aye, I'll keep working on my own mountain:

I may or may not have a dozen other roguelikes drawing my attention away from this one.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I mean WD2 was pretty openly political with trans VAs and issues and centered black characters and all that, even if they did gently caress up the whole Horatio situation, and it was way better with that poo poo than any FC ever.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Terminal autist posted:

Thats fair and I totally understand why most normal people wouldnt want to spend $150 on a controller its a pretty insane proposition. That being said I've had it for several years it has had 0 issues and has the best feel and feedback on any controller I've used. Im pretty sure back in the day I went thru at least 2 or 3 wired 360 controllers back in the day over the same time frame Ive had the elite. I brokedown and bought it after countless issue I had DS drivers making games unplayable

How's the DPad?

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly don't get why they decided that the Xbone controller should be asymmetrical. The different layout of stick/buttons would bug the hell out of me.

Asymmetrical is perfect for 3D games, but bad for 2D games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've been having a real civilization itch lately, i used to play 2 a bunch but never really put the same kinda time into the others, finally got round to civ5 with the expansions and it seems fantastic but man I miss Leonard Nimoy and Baba Yetu

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

explosivo posted:

we drink some beers and have a dance party before almost every mission in DRG because it's so dumb and fun :3:

I only played during a free weekend and with one other person that I have no reliable co-op schedule with, but I had fun in the DRG hub, it's true

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I wanna pet that dog, regardless of bandana color. Also, has watchdogs 2 popped in anyones account yet?

Apparently WD2 keys are being issued in waves. They're hoping to have all out by next Tuesday.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Black Griffon posted:

I mean WD2 was pretty openly political with trans VAs and issues and centered black characters and all that, even if they did gently caress up the whole Horatio situation, and it was way better with that poo poo than any FC ever.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I do have opinions about corporations using idpol and representation as shields to deflect from other issues but I've already poo poo up the thread enough with my cspammery so I'll drop it. Also, I haven't played WD2 so maybe I'll see if I can still get that from the give-away and check it out before I continue on with my criticisms.

On controller chat, whats the go-to method for using a DS4 wirelessly on PC? I just got a PS4 for TLOU/TLOU2 and I'm kinda digging the controller. I've been using a wired 360 pad for the last million years or so but it would be cool to cut the cord since I often throw my PC games up on my TV. Googling says that I might need some PS4 specific dongle that no longer exists? I can't imagine that's the only way, though. My PC does not have built-in bluetooth.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Morter posted:

I only played during a free weekend and with one other person that I have no reliable co-op schedule with, but I had fun in the DRG hub, it's true

ok that was way more of a pro-click than i thought it would be :thurman:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It doesn't help that the other game they announced, FC6, is set in an "authoritarian" latin american country which, I mean, holy poo poo

Why doesn't that help?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

punk rebel ecks posted:

How's the DPad?

Not great tbh but definitely the best microsoft has made. Its in an actual 4 direction dpad but it still has the weird microsoft 8 direction detection it just feels a little mushy. It feels better than the switch pro controller dpad though for comparison and I've played classic platformers and fighting games on it not ideal but its fine.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Sinteres posted:

Why doesn't that help?

Traditionally, "authoritarian latin american country" has always been a way to justify US military intervention and destabilization in a region whose political instability has always been due to the meddling of foreign interests. Many times, the dictator is there because they either deposed a US-backed military government that was somehow worse or because they got into power thanks to a US-backed coup. At least, I think that's what they're getting at.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Sinteres posted:

Why doesn't that help?

There is a lot of history there and most of it involves the US being complete assholes overthrowing governments all over south and central america and justifying it by claiming the elections of popular leftists were fraudulent. This has happened as recently as 2009 in Honduras, and they were just making noise to do the same in Venezuela like, a year ago? If that, even. Its always couched in terms of bringing freedom to the people and yet it always turns into dictatorships and death squads somehow.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I just watched that announcement video and it seemed purposefully vague, tbh. He did mention Brexit and deportations but just threw out "authoritarian government" as a descriptor for the bad guys. He literally said you can play as MI5 operatives as if they were the good guys, ffs.

Well, they're not going to name any actual political parties for obvious reasons, and you can hire anyone, including bad guys.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

There is a lot of history there and most of it involves the US being complete assholes overthrowing governments all over south and central america and justifying it by claiming the elections of popular leftists were fraudulent. This has happened as recently as 2009 in Honduras, and they were just making noise to do the same in Venezuela like, a year ago? If that, even. Its always couched in terms of bringing freedom to the people and yet it always turns into dictatorships and death squads somehow.

It happened as recently as Bolivia in 2019

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there was a dude in the 1800s who was just some guy that convinced america to give him soldiers to invade nicaragua and call himself the president multiple times (william walker)

it's been our main export for a long time

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

El_Elegante posted:

Didn't PMCs who also did work for Trump try to go into Venezuela with airsoft guns a few months ago?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah that was hilariously bizarre

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Didn't PMCs who also did work for Trump try to go into Venezuela with airsoft guns a few months ago?

Yeah. Bunch of them got murked and a bunch stumbled out of the water in the worst amphibious assault ever and just sort of got arrested.
Edit: also their leader was like "MR PRESIDENT DR DONALD TRUMP WE'RE INVADING VENEZUELA" on twitter right before it happened.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

El_Elegante posted:

gently caress, I totally forgot about that

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I really enjoyed Observer, so I bought Layers Of Fear during the sale. Didn't really do it for me. There were a few neat visuals, but the gothic horror story left me uninterested while the jumpscares left me numb (or annoyed).

And this just made me laugh (has audio):
https://i.imgur.com/D634pak.mp4

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Remember that one game that was about an American military coup against the drug gangs in Bolivia's jungles who totally exist?

Terminal autist posted:

Not great tbh but definitely the best microsoft has made. Its in an actual 4 direction dpad but it still has the weird microsoft 8 direction detection it just feels a little mushy. It feels better than the switch pro controller dpad though for comparison and I've played classic platformers and fighting games on it not ideal but its fine.

I see thanks.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Wildlands might be the game I've played the most with the worst loving politics imaginable. I love it, and I loving hate it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I do have opinions about corporations using idpol and representation as shields to deflect from other issues but I've already poo poo up the thread enough with my cspammery so I'll drop it. Also, I haven't played WD2 so maybe I'll see if I can still get that from the give-away and check it out before I continue on with my criticisms.
You literally play a domestic terrorist. The game tries very hard to convince you that you're not, but you basically do everything a GTA player character does while excusing it as Fighting The Good Fight when you blow up gas mains, clean out people's bank accounts, set up bot nets to commit more cybercrimes with and kill random bystanders by sending street gangs after them just for shits and giggles.

It's completely farcical and I could probably respect the game more if it was just willing to be honest about the fact that you're simply an rear end in a top hat.

Orv
May 4, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Remember that one game that was about an American military coup against the drug gangs in Bolivia's jungles who totally exist?

Black Griffon posted:

Wildlands might be the game I've played the most with the worst loving politics imaginable. I love it, and I loving hate it.

And now El Sueño is a character in the mobile hero game that also includes Sam Fisher because why not.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now for something completely different: Is the DLC essential for Fell Seal? Should I go for it on PC or is it especially good on Switch?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Black Griffon posted:

Now for something completely different: Is the DLC essential for Fell Seal? Should I go for it on PC or is it especially good on Switch?

Can't answer about Switch, but it seems like it'd be good in a portable format, but I use a laptop for most of my portable gaming.

As for whether it's essential, not really, but it's nice. It adds a few new classes, some Pokemon elements with capturing mobs, and a few options for leveling up your squaddies that aren't in your regular rotation (or are, as it lets you run those missions during hours you're not playing, like a mobile game or something).

I think it's worth the price if you want to expand on the core game, but essential is in the eye of the beholder. You could play it fine without, but if you think you'd feel like you were missing out, it probably won't let you down.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Orv posted:

And now El Sueño is a character in the mobile hero game that also includes Sam Fisher because why not.

That cgi trailer was the most hosed up thing I've seen a while. "Hey remember the evil crime lord with the sex trafficking, organ harvesting, drug smuggling and slavery? Yeah Sam Fisher and Rainbow Six are now working with him, play our Free to Play game and look at our budget Fortnite graphics!".

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DatonKallandor posted:

That cgi trailer was the most hosed up thing I've seen a while. "Hey remember the evil crime lord with the sex trafficking, organ harvesting, drug smuggling and slavery? Yeah Sam Fisher and Rainbow Six are now working with him, play our Free to Play game and look at our budget Fortnite graphics!".

They also did a very good job of making their game look like something it's totally not because I finished that trailer assuming it was some Overwatch style thing but it looks like it's a pretty standard mobile RPG gatcha like Star Wars: GOH. I wish they'd just make a new Splinter Cell :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

StrixNebulosa posted:

3: i would die for this robot

Fun fact: BD-1 was voiced by Ben Burtt, the guy who did R2 (and a whole bunch of other sound design over the years).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BD-1 is the cutest Star Wars droid imo

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

BD-1 is great. Fallen Order was okay:shrug: like a solid 7-8/10 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gonk Droid will have his day, just you wait and see