Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

are tiny marines done? primaris are pretty cool but I'd be pissed if I played standard marines if they took a permanent backseat to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kitchner posted:

I think every AM list will take a Wyvern simply because if your opponent does bring a big unit, you can turn down 24 Los ignoring shots that with cadians re-roll 1s to hit and then re-roll wounds.

I never got a Wyvern because I couldn't figure out how to enclose the gunner platform.

That's just the Armageddon fluff. :sigh:

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I never got a Wyvern because I couldn't figure out how to enclose the gunner platform.

That's just the Armageddon fluff. :sigh:

Get a cocktail umbrella and drop it in.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eej posted:

It's funny to me that tiny marines are having one last hurrah by getting to take Termie armour out for a spin at 0 point change because everyone else is a big boi now.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

are tiny marines done? primaris are pretty cool but I'd be pissed if I played standard marines if they took a permanent backseat to them

Besides Terminators maybe being decent again, grav-cannons actually got cheaper, so the grav-bomb Devastator Squad in a Drop Pod actually got better, and that had already been one of my favorite combos.

With the changes in 9th about vehicle shooting, Razorbacks maybe viable again too. Stick a cheap Tac Squad in a R'back and sprint it out to a flank objective. Either they draw fire away from your actually killy units, or they rack up VP turn after turn. Either is good.

Small Marines are becoming niche units, it's true, but some of them are still clinging to relevance.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I like missile launcher devestator squad. S4 blast or S8 weapon with a serious range for 135 points.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Whoever recommended Tabletop Titans a few pages ago; thanks, this channel is great. I love these 30 minute "How X plays" videos.

They've kind of talked me into looking back at Death Guard though, which is what I played in 8th. And I don't think I have it in me to paint a million Plague Marines and Poxwalkers again.

e; also looking at Custodians but I feel gross supporting THE EMPERAH :thunk: and that's an incredible looking green vvvvv

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 14, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Eej posted:

Salamander green is so bright and garish as a primary colour. I know you can just paint a Successor and play as the originals but I feel like you gotta keep some of the spirit of the original somewhere. You can dial back the intensity of the green but then you kinda look like loyalist Death Guard...

Salamander Green is dark and boring!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Lungboy posted:

poo poo yeah this owns!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
ok fine, xbox green marines are cool

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Lungboy posted:

Is that recess shaded, and if so, is it pin washed?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I think that is just a one-click bundle with slightly wonky pricing due to escaping the recent slight increases everything got. Most of the savings is actually due to the SC Eldar box. The listed contents on the page you linked are:

- An 8-man Guardian Squad, which includes a heavy weapons platform assemblable with a bright lance, a missile launcher, a scatter laser, a starcannon or shuriken cannon;
- A Wave Serpent, an armoured troop carrier which can be armed with a bright lance, star cannon, missile launcher, shuriken cannon or a scatter laser turret;
- A Start Collecting! Craftworlds set – this contains 8 miniatures: a Farseer, 5 Wraithguard (who can be optionally assembled as Wraithblades), a Wraithlord and a War Walker.

which can be had separately for $40, $58, and $90, respectively.

So you're fine to wait until you're ready, or purchase the SC separately and get most of the models now with the others available later at no extra cost.

Thanks for the info, decided to do a quick look and picked up the start collecting box for $77 from MiniatureMarket.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
I usually hear marines and Eldar as good first armies, but assuming that Necrons are going to be on par with other factions rules-wise, would they make good starter recommendation? Easy to paint, rules/tactics are not super complicated, good range of units without being swamped with choices.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Happy that people can still get indomitus, sad for all the unloved necrons that will be out there

My oldest decided to start collecting Tau, and youngest was sad she won't have her own army (as opposed to just playing with all my stuff). Maybe it's time to make a pitch for how cool crazy ancient murder robots are...

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Shadowed Bacon posted:

I usually hear marines and Eldar as good first armies, but assuming that Necrons are going to be on par with other factions rules-wise, would they make good starter recommendation? Easy to paint, rules/tactics are not super complicated, good range of units without being swamped with choices.

Necrons are going to be the starter set for the new edition, so add 'cheap, modern model range with easy-to-build range' to those benefits.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Okay, rant.

gently caress these point changes hurt my army. Almost everything I use has had the points increase.

Anyone who’s seen me play the scars know that it’s a very tricky army to use effectively. Other chapters are somewhat rounded or forgiving, but so much of an effective WS army depends on timing the charge just right.

I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone even hint that anything in my army was OP, except one in which even I said and that’s a Captain/LT buffer Executioner on turn one. I don’t even do that anymore.

The only thing I found on the list that had a point decrease was the Land Speeder Storm. What the gently caress am I going to use that for? Especially now that scouts are +3 points... I might as well have used Intercessors are a tax.

Ok that’s my one rant for 2020.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Tiger Millionaire posted:

The multipart canoness box doesn't even have the option either, if you want to WYSIWYG a rod of office you need the monopose from the limited edition box lol

I've explained my reasoning on this one before a bunch of times, but the limited edition box canoness is absolutely going to be the canoness everybody owns once it's in Start Collecting Sisters of Battle, which will probably be out this Christmas and will probably consist of all the units from the limited edition box. Including that canoness, because the giant monopose sprues from the limited edition box don't have an HQ in them, a Start Collecting box needs an HQ, and GW is more likely to put the Sisters Canoness that isn't being sold separately into the SC box.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 14, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

SerCypher posted:

Get a cocktail umbrella and drop it in.

poo poo, that would actually work:

Maybe not a literal umbrella, but a dumb canvas tent cover.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

OhDearGodNo posted:

Okay, rant.

gently caress these point changes hurt my army. Almost everything I use has had the points increase.

Anyone who’s seen me play the scars know that it’s a very tricky army to use effectively. Other chapters are somewhat rounded or forgiving, but so much of an effective WS army depends on timing the charge just right.

I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone even hint that anything in my army was OP, except one in which even I said and that’s a Captain/LT buffer Executioner on turn one. I don’t even do that anymore.

The only thing I found on the list that had a point decrease was the Land Speeder Storm. What the gently caress am I going to use that for? Especially now that scouts are +3 points... I might as well have used Intercessors are a tax.

Hey now, Plasma Inceptors are 9 points cheaper

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Is there any Battlescribe update yet? I'm actually keen to formulate a Crusade army.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

OhDearGodNo posted:

This is true for literally every army. Points went up almost across the board. It's easier to count the exceptions, and you'd only need a friend or two to count them on your fingers.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Okay, rant.

They made everything more expensive because the intention is to make the number of models on the table smaller.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Booley posted:

Deep strike is useful.

Also they look cool

Speaking of which, anyone know how compatible is the deathwing knights kit with regular/assault terminators? Easy to mix and match?

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

SteelMentor posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/the-9th-edition-munitorum-field-manual-points-review/
Ho-leeeeeeeee Christ did Genestealers take such a loving kick in the ovipositor. Combined with the inexplicable Noise Marine rise and that's 2 of my 3 current armies eating poo poo :negative:.

As a relative newcomer to the Hobby (3 games of 40k, medium-lots of Underworlds and Warcry), having and running three armies blows my mind. Do you guys like, do anything else with your time? I have eyes to maintain a Death Guard / Orks army but even that and then staying on top of rules, errata, FAQs etc. seems like a full-time job unto itself. This isn't meant to be a negative viewpoint, I'm just wondering how y'all balance your hobby.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Also Scars are like the one army that inexplicably got errata that made their chapter tactics apply to *more* units.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DrDraxium posted:

As a relative newcomer to the Hobby (3 games of 40k, medium-lots of Underworlds and Warcry), having and running three armies blows my mind. Do you guys like, do anything else with your time? I have eyes to maintain a Death Guard / Orks army but even that and then staying on top of rules, errata, FAQs etc. seems like a full-time job unto itself. This isn't meant to be a negative viewpoint, I'm just wondering how y'all balance your hobby.

A lot of us have been in for decades at this point. Once you've got an army done staying on top of releases isn't too hard. Or it wasn't back when you could go 10 years between updates for a given faction.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
When you build and paint your first army, you spend a lot of time building and painting that army, and then you can play with it. But once it's built and painted, you have all that time back, and you can't just spend it on playing because you can build and paint at home but playing requires coordination with other people. So now you have all these hobby supplies and paints, and probably a workspace, and are in the habit of building and painting, but don't have anything to build or paint except for maybe a new unit or two once in a while.

"Start another army" is the obvious solution to this problem.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also they look cool

Speaking of which, anyone know how compatible is the deathwing knights kit with regular/assault terminators? Easy to mix and match?

The Deathwing kit has options to be built as knights, ranged terminators, assault terminators, or terminator characters. You may want two (or 1 + regular terminators) for more weapon options on assault or ranged terminators, but you'll have no problem switching out arms to do it; the robed knight bodies are just front torso halves with separate legs and back torso halves.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Thanqol posted:

They made everything more expensive because the intention is to make the number of models on the table smaller.

Which is fine, but it's ironic that horde units didn't get touched much.

If the goal was to speed up the game by not having 100+ guardsmen on the board, nerfing leman russes wasn't the way to do it.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also they look cool

Regular terminators, or regular Deathwing Terminators? Because the Deathwing Knights/Command Squad/Terminators are all literally the same box.

If it's the former, then it depends on your tolerances. Easy wouldn't be the word, and there's DA iconography on most of the parts in the box. A few don't though (lightning claws, the Narthacium, the storm bolter arms not including the storm bolters, the backs).

The pictures on the website are actually pretty good for showing what's on the sprues.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

SerCypher posted:

Which is fine, but it's ironic that horde units didn't get touched much.

If the goal was to speed up the game by not having 100+ guardsmen on the board, nerfing leman russes wasn't the way to do it.

Which is why hordes were balanced by making them more vulnerable. By increasing the point spread between a horde unit and other units, they're able to more accurately balance things. You also still need to include russes in the army, and every one you include is now more horde guardsmen you can't take.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Most of the point increases are really just to give them buffer room to make changes later. From what I remember, correct me if I'm wrong, GW doesn't really adjust models rules once a codex drops, but with Chapter Approved making bad models cheaper is all they're willing to do. So if everything starts high they can figure out which models suck and sell you a book that makes them still suck, but less points.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Preem Palver posted:

The Deathwing kit has options to be built as knights, ranged terminators, assault terminators, or terminator characters. You may want two (or 1 + regular terminators) for more weapon options on assault or ranged terminators, but you'll have no problem switching out arms to do it; the robed knight bodies are just front torso halves with separate legs and back torso halves.

Maneck posted:

Regular terminators, or regular Deathwing Terminators? Because the Deathwing Knights/Command Squad/Terminators are all literally the same box.

If it's the former, then it depends on your tolerances. Easy wouldn't be the word, and there's DA iconography on most of the parts in the box. A few don't though (lightning claws, the Narthacium, the storm bolter arms not including the storm bolters, the backs).

The pictures on the website are actually pretty good for showing what's on the sprues.

The former, thank you both.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, maybe someone can tell me why I'm wrong about this. I hope they can.

From the new core rules:

quote:

Unless specifically stated, abilities have no effect on units while they are embarked, and Stratagems cannot be used to affect units while they are embarked.

This differs from the previous embarked rule in that it specifically calls out abilities. So, let's say we have some Death Skulls tankbustas (and a couple of bomb squigs) in a battlewagon. 14 tankbustas, a boss nob, and five bomb squigs. They use their rokkit launchas on a nearby rhino.

Tank Hunters is an ability. So they get no rerolls from that. Clan kultur is defined as an ability in the codex, so you don't get your Death Skulls reroll.

The five bomb squigs in the unit are killed when they fire. That's part of the weapon profile, so not an ability. However, the Bomb Squig ability, which lets you ignore them for the purposes of morale, and Mob Rule don't apply. So you now have to make a morale check at the end of the round, with a 2/3 chance of failing.

Frankly, this all sounds stupid. I'm hoping I'm misinterpreting the rules. If you can figure out how, please let me know.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

DrDraxium posted:

I'm new to playing 40k but have collected on and off for a good few years, i play with a buddy of mine who has played since he was a kid and a lot of it is just memorization.

My first game i had to keep asking what my blood angels hit on before learning a normal tac marine is 3+, my second i actually remembered about my red thirst ability and by my third i even remembered to do a heroic intervention!

Realised that sounds a bit odd so to clarify i asked my friend only to point out when i was doing something illegal and to not give me tactical advice otherwise i wouldn't learn.

Let me tell you nothing teaches you faster than having some crazy ork poo poo blow up your tank and dreadnaught on turn 1!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Shockeh posted:

Is that recess shaded, and if so, is it pin washed?

It's shaded using an airbrush via directional spraying, then pinwashed.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I guess the FAQ didn't address the canoptek reanimator giving +1 to reanimation protocols in the command phase, but the renamination rolls being at the start of your turn before that phase. Meaning you have to guess which unit needs the +1 on your next turn, and your opponent will know. Seems like an oversight to me, but I guess it could be intentional, or maybe codex necrons is closer than we think. Which hopefully will address protocols in general, but I don't really have high hopes given the box rules.

e: it's also a little weird that admech got all it's weapons with extra hits on 6+ changed to unmodified 6s, but telsa made it through. Also, plasma weapons needing unmodified 1s to explode from the indomitus box is not in there. So they still explode on 2s with a -1 I guess. These FAQ updates seem like they need faq updates soon.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 14, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm new to playing 40k but have collected on and off for a good few years, i play with a buddy of mine who has played since he was a kid and a lot of it is just memorization.

My first game i had to keep asking what my blood angels hit on before learning a normal tac marine is 3+, my second i actually remembered about my red thirst ability and by my third i even remembered to do a heroic intervention!

Realised that sounds a bit odd so to clarify i asked my friend only to point out when i was doing something illegal and to not give me tactical advice otherwise i wouldn't learn.

Let me tell you nothing teaches you faster than having some crazy ork poo poo blow up your tank and dreadnaught on turn 1!

Yeah I've been telling my friends that basically it's about establishing a baseline in your head and remembering everything in relation to that.

For me it's marines and guard, because my very very first army was blood angels (which now don't exist, no idea where they went) and my second soul mate army is Guard.

So I know eldar are like guard but hit better and move faster. Necrons are like marines but with a slightly worse save etc. To be honest the most numerous units of infantry tend to be 5-7 inch movement, BS/WS 3 or 4, S/T 3 or 4, with the only big difference being the save.

Regarding army points going up, as others have said everything has generally gone up by 15-20%, so anything that has gone up by less than that is effectively a points decrease. If you have a unit that hasn't gone up in points at all its actually a pretty major points decrease.

As an example, an Infantry Squad is now 50 points instead of 40. That's a 25% increase which is pretty steep considering. An armoured sentinel though has kept its point exactly the same at 35 (I think it's 35 anyway, may be 40). This means it's comparatively a lot cheaper. Guard artillery has also only seen very small points increases compared to say, thunderfire Cannons.

In a similar vein, White Scars are in a much better position in 9th because less units are able to fall back and do stuff, having your entire army be able to fall back and charge is pretty amazing.

Shockeh posted:

Is there any Battlescribe update yet? I'm actually keen to formulate a Crusade army.

I'm really hoping Battlescribe has an update for all the crusade stuff, but I'm sort of planning for them not to, and making some sheets on Google drive for my crusade group to use.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 14, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Nothing beats that realisation i had of orks having a 6+ save and my normal guys having 3+ and understanding marines are hard as gently caress

Then getting shot 120 times with 6s being an extra hit and suddenly feeling my piddly rapid fire 2 bolters were rather underwhelming

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nothing beats that realisation i had of orks having a 6+ save and my normal guys having 3+ and understanding marines are hard as gently caress

Then getting shot 120 times with 6s being an extra hit and suddenly feeling my piddly rapid fire 2 bolters were rather underwhelming

Yeah I think marines are the first entry point for a lot of people into the hobby and if they've never played with another army they don't really appreciate how tough and skilled their basic dudes are. Primaris marines make it even worse. It's even stuff like when you shoot a gun, you're more likely to hit than not, and a lot of armies have a 50/50 chance.

Obviously there are downsides to marines, but they aren't that numerous and they aren't that big right now. I can still remember when I first switched to Guard basically no one in my store collected them and everyone laughed them off as a joke army, until I blew up a squad of marines with a basilisk from the other side of the table and ignored all their armour saves. The marine players were like "what, you're wounding me on 2+?! And I don't get a save?!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yes thats very true, 40k almost has this "everything is overpowered" feel to it, my weedy little red marines seemed a bit underwhelming until at the end of the first game my buddy pointed out I hadn't took my +1 to wound rolls on charges, thats something I'll never forget now!

Then in our second game he brought his Dark Angels and just smited me into oblivion, that was a real lesson

edit: sorry not Dark Angels, I meant Grey Knights, difficult to keep track of all this when I've just been painting the drat things for years!