Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I still like the Sailor Moon anime and glad Takeuchi got a version closer to her manga but for me personally I think I vastly prefer Precure and Nanoha over Sailor Moon

Though I'm gonna be super curious how they do Stars for Crystal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I liked cardcaptor sakura more than sailor moon tbh.

it's not a competition but :same:

but maybe it's my nostalgia talking since CCS was my first encounter with anime fandom communities.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

crystal doesn't interest me but there's a ton of value to the sailor moon manga for its art, like it just constantly looks gorgeous. pluto is so much better there it's not even funny.

there's also great content on dynasty

pluto is the one character who definitely wins out in the manga compared to the anime yeah

and im def. not saying the manga is bad

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think manga Saturn also is visually a much stronger design. Some of the set pieces and full spreads with her are amazing.

The S season Crystal is actually a pretty good watch as while it stays close to the source it also is more of an adaptation. Toei going Chiaki Kon as the director probably helped with that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah if ntohing else chiaki kon is incredibly talented and im glad she got paid

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

So is Sailor Moon Crystal like a more faithful adaptation of the source material? It’s on Hulu too which made me remember that that was a thing, although it’s not like im gonna stop watching the original because that’s still pretty great.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

one thing i'll say for the manga is that i prefer its more gender-fluid Haruka over the anime's always masc-presenting Haruka

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i agree outfit wise but on the flipside the whole 'haruka is neither a man nor a woman' shtick is definitely *not* naoko takeuchi being woke, lol

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Sailor Mars doing the “hold up finger guns to charge a fireball” attack was the coolest goddamn thing to me as a little lad. Im an adult now and its still cool as hell

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

i agree outfit wise but on the flipside the whole 'haruka is neither a man nor a woman' shtick is definitely *not* naoko takeuchi being woke, lol

She's not a man or a woman, she's a cousin

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

https://youtu.be/oDmY9g9wb6A

The shaking! the lightning! you can tell it’s a powerful fuckin move!!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

it's real clumsy at best, but at least it's only like one line and then never really comes up as a thing after that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Sailor Mars doing the “hold up finger guns to charge a fireball” attack was the coolest goddamn thing to me as a little lad. Im an adult now and its still cool as hell

:yeah:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lube Enthusiast posted:

i like that rei in sailor moon and yusuke in yu yu hakusho both do that, indepdently of each other, and then the authors of those manga got married

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Rei is rad in general, I like that she can just do magic as like, a thing separate from being a guardian.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/suzushiro333/status/1282005551979704320?s=20

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/suzushiro333/status/1279401226291970048?s=20

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Last Celebration posted:

Rei is rad in general, I like that she can just do magic as like, a thing separate from being a guardian.
Spiritual powahs

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I've been watching the Rockman EXE anime and it's pretty fun, has some of the best facial expressions ever on top of the hilariously dated fansubs.

Netto lost and Rockman got deleted :smith: Granted he does come back but it's loving brutal

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 13, 2020

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
basketball

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1282547540122955776/pu/vid/640x352/6Jq8aJzREUPmL2NS.mp4

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dramas, shortly

homeless snail posted:

Dramatic Monday @ 8pm eastern. Amachan, Nigehaji, Ryomaden

https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchdramas

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
watamote has changed so much over it's run it's practically unrecognizable, but in a good way

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

watamote has changed so much over it's run it's practically unrecognizable, but in a good way

Yeah, I liked the early stuff even if I could only make myself read it in small doses, but as it is now it's one of my favorite series currently running.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You ever find a Mediafire folder with DVD rips of an anime you liked 13 years ago and thought had entirely disappeared from the Internet but you're hesitant to revisit it because you remember it being kinda lovely about trans stuff?

Cuz it's Kyouran Kazoku Nikki.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

For most of the anime that I had downloaded when I was younger, I'm pretty sure I got official DVD copies when they became available. Particularly Slayers, Magic Knights Rayearth and... I wanna say Nadesico.

The only one that I didn't get was one that never really got a western release: YKK or Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. But I was able to score its (somewhat) spiritual successor, Aria.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I was a "watch anime in 3 parts on Youtube" guy and ended up seeing stuff like Read or Die that way

(Aniplex please put Read or Die on Funimation thanks)

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Anime in youtube chunks was how I binged Eureka Seven over the summer of 2006

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

toonami into torrents

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
hellsing ultimate

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

As a zoomer, I simply used Crunchyroll to watch my first seasonal anime

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
School-Live the anime just made me cry!!!

WAH!

I'm a big baby!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Which was kill la kill

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My first seasonal anime was FMA Brotherhood in 2010.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i watched squid girl on crunchyroll and then the first show i watched seasonally as it aired was umaru-chan

umaru-chan is a show i can look back on and say i liked uh three characters in it and one of them was only in season 2. sylphinford really saved that show huh

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tsf character album is excellent also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei84Tk123II

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
garbage dick

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, I liked the early stuff even if I could only make myself read it in small doses, but as it is now it's one of my favorite series currently running.
Her growth through the series has been gradual but realistic, yet she is still clearly the same awkward dipshit she's always been

I like that in the omake chapters certain characters are her friend no matter what alternate universe it's in

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I've watched the Watamote anime at least four times, first time by myself and the others with different people. I've been meaning to check out the manga because I keep hearing about how she gets better and I really want to see that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower posted:

garbage dick

ty for remembering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't remember what my first seasonal show was...don't even remember exactly when I switched from just watching things that I happened to find on DVD or were on tv to more actively following what was currently airing. Looking at what was airing I had definitely started paying attention by 2007 because I watched quite a few of that year's shows either when they aired or soon after.

e: tbh thinking back I don't know how much of that was me becoming more clued into new shows and how much was new stuff becoming easier to find & watch (& how much was getting faster internet lol)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 14, 2020