Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Even if I had just seen the pictures and not heard first and secondhand accounts of the situation from this thread, I would still probably find his statement intentionally naive with the understanding that the next statement will be "well, we didn't have all of the information at that time."

I have to imagine that he thought his audience for that comment was the families looking for news about their sailors and that he wanted to give a chin up and firm resolve kind of comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
How does that port get away with being so under equipped in terms of fire boats?

Friends are saying a vehicle fire in the lower well deck. Probably burned the O2 down and then reflashed when they popped hatches to attack it.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 13, 2020

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
"It's a class alpha fire, no worries, just some rags."

*Flight deck collapses*
*Island begins to resemble volcano*

I think it's safe to say that the fire is in pretty much everything at this point. The reading from the FD dude many hours ago about burning down the the water is probably more or less accurate.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

lightpole posted:

How does that port get away with being so under equipped in terms of fire boats?

Friends are saying a vehicle fire in the lower well deck. Probably burned the O2 down and then reflashed when they popped hatches to attack it.

I'm not sure if fireboats are the issue. I think the compartmentalization and layers meant to protect the internals of a warship probably make it tough to cool from the outside, and no number of fire boats will stop the core of the fire.

And now I'm thinking: with a giant hole in the back and a ramp and elevator leading to a well ventilated hangar, the well deck is basically a carburetor.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Every modern US surface combatant seems to have worse DC design than the auxiliary ships they mass produced for WW2.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

M_Gargantua posted:

Every modern US surface combatant seems to have worse DC design than the auxiliary ships they mass produced for WW2.

Probably. Two causes I can think of.
* When people are walking onto a new ship from an old ship that actually sustained combat damage, you probably walk around and go, "well that wont work." Every crew member's an inspector, but there's no substitute for experience and there's a lot less experience in the fleet with getting shot at.

* The engineering challenges are more complicated and compete with survivability. Parallel SP phone/IVCS/IP data running in barrel sized cable overheads from space to space. A trend towards larger ships and smaller crews over the past 70 years.

If I were underway and we had a major conflagaration in the welldeck, I hope I'd have the presence of mind to ask to flood the ballast tanks and lose the gear, but I assume that was all tagged out if they were in an availability and touching the bottom is probably a last resort until it isn't any more.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
As of right now, from my vantage right next to her, BHR is definitely still on fire. She has a definite starboard list, but it doesn't look dangerous. It looks like they've pressed SH-60Ss into fire bucket service.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Photo stolen from reddit

Looks like a total collapse of the mast above the bridge and the bridge looks burnt as gently caress. The HSC pilots are reporting that the CWIS deck in front of the bridge and the flight deck in that area have collapsed as well. All directly above the lower V.

Video showing damage here:

https://twitter.com/mercoglianos/status/1282680502445658113?s=20

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 13, 2020

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lol that ship is a total loss for sure.

I just hope no one else gets hurt trying to save it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

piL posted:

I'm not sure if fireboats are the issue. I think the compartmentalization and layers meant to protect the internals of a warship probably make it tough to cool from the outside, and no number of fire boats will stop the core of the fire.

And now I'm thinking: with a giant hole in the back and a ramp and elevator leading to a well ventilated hangar, the well deck is basically a carburetor.

Fire boats they had on scene at first were like 2200 gpm. This is compared to the big ones that LB/LA have that are like 40k gpm. Took them forever to ask Chouest for their 10ks.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The pictures of the fenders catching fire from heat radiated off the hull is pretty drat :catstare:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

lightpole posted:

Fire boats they had on scene at first were like 2200 gpm. This is compared to the big ones that LB/LA have that are like 40k gpm. Took them forever to ask Chouest for their 10ks.

Would it have really mattered with internal fire suppression systems not even functioning?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Would it have really mattered with internal fire suppression systems not even functioning?

The larger ones could have hooked up to the vessel fire main and provided water. They called out Chouest so someone obviously thought it would have.

Boundary cooling is a huge portion of fighting that and they definitely did not have the ability to provide it adequately so I would say that 5-20x water volume would have made a difference.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 13, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

> The explosion people heard in the morning was likely caused by a change in air pressure, he said.

TBF, explosions generally are associated with a change in air pressure, just not in that order.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arsenic Lupin posted:

> The explosion people heard in the morning was likely caused by a change in air pressure, he said.

TBF, explosions generally are associated with a change in air pressure, just not in that order.

In fairness it would be very 2020 for cause to start following effect instead of the other way around.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Rumor-mill I'm hearing is that the fire started in the lower V and the firemain + AFFF systems were tagged out.

The big issue was apparently the CDO was initially stiff-arming the fire parties from the other ships and local firefighters because he wanted to just get everyone to a safe distance instead of setting up to response in a timely matter. But, of course, this is all hearsay, so :shrug:

DuoGodOfDeath
Feb 20, 2007
Working down in the Lower V for 3 years and being about 5 years since I was last there. I'm having a hard time guessing what exactly would start a fire down there. Only thing we really kept down there was some chains for the Marines equipment to tie down. Would have to be some freak electrical fire some how starting down there.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DuoGodOfDeath posted:

Working down in the Lower V for 3 years and being about 5 years since I was last there. I'm having a hard time guessing what exactly would start a fire down there. Only thing we really kept down there was some chains for the Marines equipment to tie down. Would have to be some freak electrical fire some how starting down there.

Maybe somebody smoking? Friend of mine who was on the Wasp thought that could be it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Rumor-mill I'm hearing is that the fire started in the lower V and the firemain + AFFF systems were tagged out.

The big issue was apparently the CDO was initially stiff-arming the fire parties from the other ships and local firefighters because he wanted to just get everyone to a safe distance instead of setting up to response in a timely matter. But, of course, this is all hearsay, so :shrug:

IAMNAO but there can't be a way to tag out the firemain without having backup fire supression. I spent 2 deployments getting told I couldn't take down my system for maintenance because of lack of redundancy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

DuoGodOfDeath posted:

RADM Sobeck said it was being used to store construction material/etc during maintenance

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SquirrelyPSU posted:

IAMNAO but there can't be a way to tag out the firemain without having backup fire supression. I spent 2 deployments getting told I couldn't take down my system for maintenance because of lack of redundancy.

The yard sets up fire trees everywhere when they shut stuff down, normally.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Proud Christian Mom posted:

RADM Sobeck said it was being used to store construction material/etc during maintenance

Yeah someone on reddit said there were triwalls full of construction material. Don’t know why they put it down there because it’s a pain the loving rear end to get poo poo out of there.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I'm not an amphib guy at all. Are there any accesses to voids or ballast tanks down in the V on BHR?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I don’t remember too well (I’m a marine that deployed on LHDs). I think there was access from inside the well deck itself as well as from the hangar bay. I don’t think the lower V was connected to anything important besides the upper V. The upper v was linked to the hangar, port/stbd bay cargo doors, and the well deck. All those connections were big enough to drive a humvee or truck through.

The lower V was usually 120 degrees on a good day underway and was secluded enough that it was a favorite bang spot. 100 man duty section in port that place was probably never checked.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I know jack poo poo about how amphibs work beyond the basics but I assume that flooding the well deck wouldn't have worked on this fire, right?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I know jack poo poo about how amphibs work beyond the basics but I assume that flooding the well deck wouldn't have worked on this fire, right?

For so many reasons.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Flood enough ballast and leave enough doors open and probably

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I can only speculate and say what the BHR kept in the lower Vs when it was in Sasebo. However, there is something called Landing Force Operational Reserve Material (LFORM), that ships keep with them when the Marines embark. Part of that LFORM include petroleums and lubricants needed to sustain them for a period of time without needing resupply. Depending on what the hazardous materials storage space the SuppO controlled looked like, it could be possible that 55 gallon drums of oil and lubricants were kept in the lower V.

This also depends on whether the LFORM was on the ship since it had to be rotated out every 12 months because the MREs would start to expire. Also, if there were any planned work on the space where LFORM was kept, it was always offloaded before the ship pulled back into port.

Edit- I should specify that LFORM is different than the supplies Marines bring to train with. It's the "break glass in case of emergency" stuff that is used for real world ops.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 14, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Hekk were you the one that was a CCO/CCA on an amphib?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah I was out of Sasebo while BHR was there.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Have they put the fire out yet??

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Flikken posted:

Have they put the fire out yet??

Last update I heard was three hours old and it's still burnin'.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

:stonk:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Holy loving poo poo. A 2,000lb bomb couldn’t hope to do that much damage. That’s loving nuts.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

I keep getting WWII battle-damage vibes from all the footage coming out, crazy that this happened in port.

I'm just glad nobody died because holy poo poo.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Hekk posted:

Yeah I was out of Sasebo while BHR was there.

I pulled in there after they got back from an underway, and that boat had the single worst HTs and DCs I had ever met.

We had an HT2 come over to us and get taught how how to weld studs by a fireman. He was a 4955, and couldn't get a single qual while we were pulled in.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus.

5+ years in the yards, or scrap it? You decide!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

it will sail again! :911:

under the sea

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lol the sheer quantity of destroyed electrical and electronic components in that portion of the ship is making me sweat a little bit lol

That ship is capital f hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

:stonk: That looks like some poo poo from Chernobyl.