Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

hating marvel films is the same thing as being an anti-trans bigot
https://twitter.com/MommyBigDick/status/1282518085103005696?s=20

edit: goddamn the hits keep coming
https://twitter.com/GiantSonInExile/status/1282499582950289409?s=20

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The past few pages have produced some of the hottest takes of the whole year. Pandemic brain is really starting to set in for people.

everyone is a goon now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

I'm definitely feeling its effects, lol

those of us who can't go out on to be getfiscal, go out like Louisgod

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mama mia!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
spicy spicy spicy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/1282432258012442626?s=19

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loving media liberals

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chonksky

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/HunterJCullen/status/1282671962351861760

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Ahh well, nevertheless.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Trump has made a deal with her - she burries his enemies, he pardons her. Trump wins all 50 states on locking Hillary up.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Trump has made a deal with her - she burries his enemies, he pardons her. Trump wins all 50 states on locking Hillary up.

lol if trump pardons a key player in a pedo ring that people across the political spectrum are aware of it won't be safe for him or his family in public ever again. even with secret service protection. lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol if trump pardons a key player in a pedo ring that people across the political spectrum are aware of it won't be safe for him or his family in public ever again. even with secret service protection. lmao
The right has defended multiple child molesters in recent years, why wouldn’t they let a facilitator go that helped take down their enemies?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Spergin Morlock posted:

this is wildly optimistic

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

Dennis Hastert is still alive and his political allies are in power.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spergin Morlock posted:

his supporters would rationalize it as “she cut a deal” and then never consider why no one else got arrested or anything.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

:smith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Spergin Morlock posted:

right thread

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

These people would offer up their own kids to the pedos if it meant they could see a Clinton in handcuffs. Doesn't even matter which one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What is she supposed to do to take down trump? Even if she doesn’t “commit suicide” before being charged, she’s being tried for raping children. There’s no reason to believe that she’d turn on her friends or that the prosecutor would allow her to turn on her friends. They’ll just enter the videos of her doing the raping as evidence and she’ll never be allowed to say anything.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

https://twitter.com/leokitty/status/1282704068457172995?s=20

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

flashy_mcflash posted:

These people would offer up their own kids to the pedos if it meant they could see a Clinton in handcuffs. Doesn't even matter which one.

hell, could be George

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

OP -- almost forgot to reply but hopefully this should answer your questions and provide enlightenment. To provide some information and enlighten you, somehow.

As you can probably tell, misunderstanding what GDP is and what it measures also means that you misunderstand the "problem", and attribute it to some imagined league of "ultra-rich" villains.

So first, we've established what GDP is. Simply a measure of economic activity. To be clear -- it is a description of how things are, measured a certain way. In other words, there is a lot of economic activity in Metro Manila, period.

Now why do I say "problem" (with quotes), as in the "problem" of unequal GDP between regions. It's because categorizing it automatically as a problem just because you see inequality is not understanding the forces that control GDP. Take your emotions out of it that someone someone is being oppressed, in order to understand why GDP is the way it is in the first place.

The best way to understand it is to look at human civilization throughout ALL TIME. From our earliest ancestors, we've all created our earliest civilizations around WATER, usually rivers. The reason is simple -- it's easy to live around water. Land is more fertile, you can fish, irrigate your crops, travel is easier. From Rome on the river Tiber, to Egypt on the Nile, to London on the Thames and back to Manila with a whole network of rivers crisscrossing it. The lesson here is that people go and congregate where it is easiest to do so.

Going back to why Manila is the apparent center of GDP. The reason is the same. It is generally easiest to do business here, to find work, earn money, spend money, etc... For businesses, Metro Manila has the best telco infra, the easiest access to gov't offices for paperwork, easily the biggest pool of skilled labor, etc.....

In other words, it's how things naturally develop given normal human tendencies. Again, no league of ultra-rich villains behind it all.

That's also where so many people get this wrong, as if there's some evil person literally forcing the low minimum wages in rural provinces. If you want a rate in the province to naturally move up, then it must move up because the market moves -- it doesn't move up by itself. This is borne by the entire BPO industry, where labor was cheap back in the day (min wage). As labor grew scarcer, salaries kept going up until now, and even fresh graduates would be making twice what Team Leaders were making back then, even without experience.

How do you fix the GDP disparity? You don't. The nature of our civilization will always mean that there will be centers -- no master plan can magically turn every city into Manila.

But... you can still take steps to develop the less developed areas -- the strongest measures would be the promotion of businesses (which employs labor, consumes goods, produces goods, sells goods). Businesses are great for GDP.

It's up to us to promote promote business -- lower taxes, loans, etc...

I hope you learned something.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Water, telco infra, government offices, skilled labour.

A list of naturally occuring resources.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been said a million times, but liberals literally don't understand material conditions

Paying people to build things is lost technology

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/QueenInYeIIow/status/1282915797413830662?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

She's wearing a mask in her profile picture ffs

https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1282944251958001664?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bringing back a classic. Ayesha Hazarika was responsible in 2015 for the Ed Stone and Controls on Immigrations mug as a senior labour adviser

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1282725077096833025?s=20

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The idea that people have common sense is spicy as gently caress.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It also fundamentally misunderstands that mask wearing is a collective responsibility that does more to stop people transmitting the virus that it does to prevent reception and no one should be put at risk by another brass necked idiot's lack of 'common sense'

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

multijoe posted:

It also fundamentally misunderstands that mask wearing is a collective responsibility that does more to stop people transmitting the virus that it does to prevent reception and no one should be put at risk by another brass necked idiot's lack of 'common sense'

You probably shouldn't tell them this because these are the types who regard giving a gently caress about others as being communist bullshit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

colonialism but make it a pretty chart for ur college power point presentation

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

I'm Japan being the country furthest away from "traditional values".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Japanese racism is strictly rational, you see.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Can't believe you would just steal my chart without attribution. Even if all I did was make the implicit ideology of the survey explicit.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

now he’s having a meltdown and harassing/doxxing people in absolute denial while there’s an entire NY Times article about it, but “Bros”

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm in love with the "survival/self expression" antagonism.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tulip posted:

I'm in love with the "survival/self expression" antagonism.

The secular-rational people of Japan, eternally torn between their survival and self-expression values

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/thucydiplease/status/1282807177002971136?s=21

lol shut up