Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

Breaks are three hours long on Saturdays.

I am going to suggest that maybe, just maybe, spending 18+ hours story boarding, sleeping for at most 2 hours, then story boarding more for 22-ish hours interspersed with meetings is not good for your brain.

I am further going to suggest that the types of stories you produce when maintaining that schedule are probably not ones I want to read.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Skwirl posted:

Not so much a funny panel as just a kinda insane concept

https://twitter.com/MarvelADayProj/status/1282813354294284288?s=20

Up until the 1920s, orphans (or just, you know, any poor kid who happened to be standing around) were shipped out West on "orphan trains" and given out to farm families as not-slaves. The English actually continued shipping their orphans to Canada/Australia until the 1960s! So Bucky getting adopted by the military wasn't terribly weird in the context of the actual policy for the period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_Train

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

evilmiera posted:

I am going to suggest that maybe, just maybe, spending 18+ hours story boarding, sleeping for at most 2 hours, then story boarding more for 22-ish hours interspersed with meetings is not good for your brain.

I am further going to suggest that the types of stories you produce when maintaining that schedule are probably not ones I want to read.
That's just the demands of the market in an ecosystem where artists are getting mega-screwed on the regular. You need to work that much to produce art at the pace and quantity that it takes to earn a living in manga.

Like, in western comics the work is usually split between several people - pencils, inks, letters, all fall to separate people, and even then it's a lot of work. Manga's black and white so you dodge the need for a colourist, but for the most part one person is doing all three of those jobs, unless they're successful enough to afford understudies and assistants. An insane schedule (or being a ridiculously fast drafter) is the only way to keep on top of it, and if you want to be a professional mangaka, you have to produce pages at the rates magazines expect.

It's messed up, but it's not the artists' fault. Just labour market stuff. And western comics sucks on this too - artists routinely get screwed, over-worked, underpaid, etc. It's just more pronounced in Japan.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

There was one artist called Shigeru Mizuki from the same 1950s/60s generation of artists as Osamu Tekuza (Astro Boy) - essentially the generation that established the comics scene in postwar Japan. I can't find the interview where I read it now, but iirc he outlived most of his contemporaries by a good few decades by being the only one to avoid the insane work schedule that they were all doing. He died aged 93 in 2015, despite serving in WWII and losing an arm.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Bad Girl Exorcist Reina

Reina Suzuno is a high school girl and an exorcist, and she's also a delinquent. Dyed hair, terrible attitude, the works.

One day her friends decide to have fun playing kokkuri-san (the japanese equivalent of an ouja board), and they accidentally summon a poltergeist, which refuses to break the contact and when they try to send it away forcibly starts making books, tables, chairs, and other stuff fly through the air, endangering them.

Reina arrives and punches the desk they're playing on really hard. Everything that had been flying through the air falls to the ground.

(Read right to left.)

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
The "aight, fine." really got me there, I wasn't expecting that.

I always enjoy Japanese depictions of "delinquents" too. The loose socks in this case, or that weird rolled quiff.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Up until the 1920s, orphans (or just, you know, any poor kid who happened to be standing around) were shipped out West on "orphan trains" and given out to farm families as not-slaves. The English actually continued shipping their orphans to Canada/Australia until the 1960s! So Bucky getting adopted by the military wasn't terribly weird in the context of the actual policy for the period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_Train

Beloved children’s tale Anne of Green Gables starts out with Anne being purchased from an orphanage to be a farm hand. The Cuthberts clearly requested a boy, of course, and almost availed themselves of the return policy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
2 for 1 sale on lame Batman jokes!

Justice League #30

Justice League 37: Dealing with a mutant plague outbreak:

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Justice League #30

Justice League 37: Dealing with a mutant plague outbreak:

People making fun of Batman for being a sullen goth teenager in the body of a gigantic violent man will never not amuse me.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yond Cassius posted:

Hm. On average, I get as much sleep per night as a mangaka. Probably oughta do something about that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TwoPair posted:

Justice League #30

His face in the last panel :allears: The face of a man who wont back down from saying the silliest poo poo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cabbit posted:

Hm. On average, I get as much sleep per night as a mangaka. Probably oughta do something about that.

Make manga?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Batman loves branding. I remember reading one thing where he said someone cut the "bat-rope".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Yond Cassius posted:

Might be nice to not have to do any sort of cooking, cleaning, errands, or other chores, though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Might be nice to not have to do any sort of cooking, cleaning, errands, or other chores, though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
If you spent an hour a day on breakfast it's your own fault, the day is short.

Edit: Okay, that came out way more assholish than I wanted it to. Sorry!
Breakfast is highly overrated, though.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The more I look at it the worse it gets. Like the 6am-7am tuesday meeting with the editor that is scheduled after working the entire night without sleep, after sleeping for two hours on monday.

E: to contribute to the thread, some funny panels from very good ongoing webcomic Barbarous by Yuko Ota and Anath Hirsh.

(context: Persephone (the lady) and Leeds (the big monster) work for the owner of an apartment building. Percy has a crush on Leeds.)

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 15, 2020

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Venom #26. I just love that depiction.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Mod edit: Nope

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 16, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh for gently caress's sake.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm all for manga but don't post sexually suggestive and extended jokes about children. Action Jackson, you've posted stuff from that manga before that seemed fine and a lot of other funny things ITT but those scans crossed a really weird and I should think obvious line.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 16, 2020

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Sorry, it was a stupid thing for me to do.

I'd post something else but I haven't seen anything funny recently, sorry.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/poorlyagedstuff/status/1283533257905180673?s=21

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Realized I had a hole in my Astrix & Oblix collection and picked up vol 37 The Chariot Race from 2017 and got a laugh.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
From this week's Guardians of the Galaxy (#4).

Marvel Boy has some weird powers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
With weird power, comes weird responsibility.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
And a Duke Silver cameo

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I can hear the smooth jazz in my head

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He comes from a Grant Morrison universe, of course he has strange powers.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
considering thats an lsd molecule the instrument should probably be a keytar

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Drax was a sax player in his previous life. Draxophone.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Drax was a sax player in his previous life. Draxophone.

Is Drax still a human that Mentor turned into a Anti - Thanos weapon? Or did he get retconed when GotG came out?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ScottyJSno posted:

Is Drax still a human that Mentor turned into a Anti - Thanos weapon? Or did he get retconed when GotG came out?

I'm not sure it's come up. He was rebooted pretty severally in the Annihilation prelude and they've just gone with that. They've almost certainly not turned him into an anti Ronan weapon like he wa in GotG the Movie.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not a panel, but it made me laugh

(from Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Saoshyant posted:

Not a panel, but it made me laugh

(from Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3)

Ygolonac posted:

Defenders v3 #3 - Hulk, frozen by Dormammu, has been defrosted by Dormammu's sister Umar.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ScottyJSno posted:

For the last few years after GotG, he was just movie Drax personality-wise but I don't think his origin ever got retconned, they just conveniently never mentioned his past.

Most recently through a series of events too complicated to bother explaining, I think he's back to more of his pre-movie self.

Anyway, content. The Batman's Grave #8: Warren Ellis' version of Alfred Pennyworth is wildly out of step with any depiction of the character I've ever seen before but I can't say he's not entertaining.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, though him being a regular human that was killed in a car crash and adapted by Mentor. I don't think that's ever changed, the pre-Annihilation change was that Mentor tinkered with the artificial body housing Arthur's spirit would rejuvenate itself and adapt to whatever killed it. But this change was just because Giffen wanted to work for Marvel but still write Lobo stories.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Did she just give Hulk a magic-roofie and had her way with him? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004