Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Eat only that French bird meal that requires you to wear a towel across your face to hide your shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

IIRC the rules were basically made on the basis of 'not all cars have seatbelts so if they don't have one in the back we can't mandate anyone wears one in the back, which is dumb.
Yeah, it would have been easier just to go "vehicle occupants: you must wear a seatbelt where one is provided. vehicle manufacturers: you must provide a seatbelt wherever you intend someone to be seated" and then it would resolve itself as new cars entered circulation and old ones left apart from the handful of people who absolutely must drive their 1910s Bour-Davis around, and there's less of those than there are horse riders.

thespaceinvader posted:

My real recollection is of being aware that the 1991 rules were being introduced at the age of 5 or 6 and being aware that there were people (and by people I would now assume I mean old white men) who would take grave offense at people belting up as if it was an indictment to their driving skills, and you'd have to go 'no, it's not you, it's all the OTHER morons' to placate it.

God humans are broken things.
I think the videos for wearing a belt in the back in the 90s did more to encourage all belt use than the 80s front belt ones. "You might be reckless and injure yourself" can be countered with "pff, but I'm not reckless" whereas "other people, even people in your own vehicle, might hurt you" appeals more to the Daily Express "why your cat might be poisoning you!" mindset, and sometimes that's what you need to get things through.

e: ^^^ Nando's is South African.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you're supposed to put a towel over your head when you eat ortolan to hide from god, which I think basically means you would look like a bank robber if you combined it with a face mask.

Also an interesting entry in "things that can block god's sight" which now includes roofs without god holes and napkins. Which i think means god has worse omniscience than a FLIR telescope.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

thespaceinvader posted:

IIRC the rules were basically made on the basis of 'not all cars have seatbelts so if they don't have one in the back we can't mandate anyone wears one in the back, which is dumb.

My real recollection is of being aware that the 1991 rules were being introduced at the age of 5 or 6 and being aware that there were people (and by people I would now assume I mean old white men) who would take grave offense at people belting up as if it was an indictment to their driving skills, and you'd have to go 'no, it's not you, it's all the OTHER morons' to placate it.

I basically do the same when people can't manage to keep their distance when we're out and about. Pointing at the baby and saying "keep back mate, babies are germ factories aren't they?" rather than "stay away from my family you thick gently caress or I'll clobber you with my stick".

I took my little girl to a farm park this morning, and was asked to fill in my name & number for track and trace. I refused because the woman before me in the queue sneezed into her hand and then used the communal pen, and the lass behind the counter gave it nothing but a cursory wipe with a dirty cloth. I gave her my details to write down (which she refused to do at first because of GDPR) and then ignored me when I advised she wash her hands. Thirty seconds later we walked past the window and she had the sneeze-pen in her mouth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think you're supposed to put a towel over your head when you eat ortolan to hide from god, which I think basically means you would look like a bank robber if you combined it with a face mask.

Also an interesting entry in "things that can block god's sight" which now includes roofs without god holes and napkins. Which i think means god has worse omniscience than a FLIR telescope.
I wonder if "sneaking onto church roofs and placing kippot over the god holes" ever made it into the ridiculous list of things that Jews were accused of doing, like biscuit theft.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

justcola posted:

I think outside wearing a mask isn't necessary, though I wear mine on the street if its crowded.

I've basically not gone into town since this whole thing started, just gone for walks in the village and down to the river and stuff where it's pretty quiet so yeah not been bothering with a mask so far but on friday I have to make a journey to one pretty busy town that I have to get the bus to and then on a train to a slightly smaller town so I'll probably just wear a mask the entire time cause gently caress it but I will need to sit down and eat at some point in my journey. That made me realise I had basically not really thought about the whole mask thing at all (I have got some but they have sat unused, sealed for a few months now) and ask the question.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder if "sneaking onto church roofs and placing kippot over the god holes" ever made it into the ridiculous list of things that Jews were accused of doing, like biscuit theft.

The trick is that you've got to line them with tin foil.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Clunk Click every trip

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

Probably the same people who were OUTRAGED at the suggestion their driving may be impaired after a pint or two.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Reading novels from a few decades back can be interesting just for the social differences in them, such as characters driving off after drinking a bottle of wine at lunch and nobody batting an eyelid at this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember the pub that I used to go, which was right across from the bus garage and was the de facto busman's pub, had two posters on the front door.

One was "public health england says do not drink more that 2 pints a day" and the other was "police say if you drink more than 6 pints in the evening, you will not be fit to drive the following morning."

Basically "we know you're going to ignore the first one but please don't endanger others."

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

justcola posted:

I think outside wearing a mask isn't necessary, though I wear mine on the street if its crowded.

I have only just started going outside, but I wear my mask the whole time in order to help normalize mask usage, as much as anything else.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Pesky Splinter posted:

Eat only that French bird meal that requires you to wear a towel across your face to hide your shame.

mcchicken sandwich

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Normally, country walks in the summer are a miserable experience for me as no one has created an anti-histamine strong enough to overwhelm my hayfever. Anti-histamine + mask? Basically no sneezing ever. I'll be using masks for the foreseeable future, pandemic or not

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

bump_fn posted:

mcchicken sandwich

:lol:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
When you have a mask on nobody can see you mouthing the words "gently caress youuuuu"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Isomermaid posted:

When you have a mask on nobody can see you mouthing the words "gently caress youuuuu"

maybe this is how we reach the gammons

using a mask you can mouth all the racial slurs you want and you won't be targeted by the roving gangs of lefty woke transgender teens using cameras embedded in their teeth to catch you daring to speak wrongthink and cancel you with baseball bats

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/prospect_clark/status/1282631882140790789

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Not looking forward to seeing videos of plod handing out fines to the homeless for not having masks tbh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately when you cannot see the vibrant and uplifting smile I usually have plastered on my face for the benefit of others it turns out I actually look like I'm two seconds away from murdering someone so mask at work is going to be interesting.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
To be clear; all babies are born equally stupid and lazy, especially yours.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
laurence fox has decided to just be insanely racist i see

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1282759928491511810?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Annoying that the circles are notorious for hiding such huge differences, a simple bar graph would be more powerful

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jose posted:

laurence fox has decided to just be insanely racist i see

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1282759928491511810?s=20

Were the acting gigs drying up or something so he decided to pivot into an outrage machine?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jel Shaker posted:

Annoying that the circles are notorious for hiding such huge differences, a simple bar graph would be more powerful

glad i'm not the only chart nerd in this thread. please excuse :effort: formatting (and labels that make no sense) but this should give you an idea of the actual proportions involved:

Angepain fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 14, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The strangest thing is that it was only for front seat passengers. Rear seat belts didn't become compulsory to fit until 1986 and didn't become compulsory to wear until 1991.

In a modern vehicle with full airbags fitted, an unbelted front seat occupant collision at ordinary (non motorway) speeds is still worse than belted, but unlikely to be fatal, but an unbelted rear seat occupant can easily kill the people in the front or themselves. Airbags weren't a requirement when these laws were being thought up, but it's still odd that they went for the front first rather than all vehicle occupants given how people fly around at the back. Even back then the unbelted front seat occupant was more likely to just harm themselves than other occupants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Af8w2SAT4

It's a function of evolving car safety and design. When seatbelts became mandatory they prevented a lot of deaths from people hitting the windscreen/frame and steering wheel and column or being ejected from the car, but people were still dying from stuff like sternum fractures from the seatbelt itself, "impingement" (where stuff from outside the passenger cabin, e.g. engine/gearbox or the thing you hit, gets in and fucks you up, diffuse brain injuries from sudden deceleration, etc.

As these things were designed/legislated away, people who would have survived a previously-fatal crash ended up still dying from rear-seat passengers hitting them (in fact some of the safety features like seatbelt pretensioning actually exacerbated the issue), so that's when the impetus for rear seat belts started to build up.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

To be clear; all babies are born equally stupid and lazy, especially yours.

https://twitter.com/davies_will/status/1282947108216201216

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd want a gun too if I saw the terrifying glossy white baby coming at me, that's clearly an alien.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

bessantj posted:

Were the acting gigs drying up or something so he decided to pivot into an outrage machine?

His pinned tweet is a patreon saying he's been cancelled so

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If I say I've been cancelled can I get the chuds to give me £1,000 a month?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

I'd want a gun too if I saw the terrifying glossy white baby coming at me, that's clearly an alien.

The actual reason few honkies are stopped and searched is their film of dermal grease allows them to evade the police's grasp :slick:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

If I say I've been cancelled can I get the chuds to give me £1,000 a month?
You have to say crazy bigoted poo poo though, so it's not really worth it.

Now I'm off to write a 5,000 word essay about why non binary people shouldn't be allowed to piss in my yard, a very real thing that is happening.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

The actual reason few honkies are stopped and searched is their film of dermal grease allows them to evade the police's grasp :slick:

It's an olephobic coating

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Oh dear me posted:

I have only just started going outside, but I wear my mask the whole time in order to help normalize mask usage, as much as anything else.

I'll mask up if I'm going into a shop. Not yet tested this approach with banks or petrol stations. I've not been challenged on it yet but if anyone does I'm planning to explain that it's cause I don't want to give anyone the rona if I'm asymptomatic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

You have to say crazy bigoted poo poo though, so it's not really worth it.

Now I'm off to write a 5,000 word essay about why non binary people shouldn't be allowed to piss in my yard, a very real thing that is happening.

Piss inside then.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a function of evolving car safety and design. When seatbelts became mandatory they prevented a lot of deaths from people hitting the windscreen/frame and steering wheel and column or being ejected from the car, but people were still dying from stuff like sternum fractures from the seatbelt itself, "impingement" (where stuff from outside the passenger cabin, e.g. engine/gearbox or the thing you hit, gets in and fucks you up, diffuse brain injuries from sudden deceleration, etc.

As these things were designed/legislated away, people who would have survived a previously-fatal crash ended up still dying from rear-seat passengers hitting them (in fact some of the safety features like seatbelt pretensioning actually exacerbated the issue), so that's when the impetus for rear seat belts started to build up.

Yeah I remember that advert where the family are driving home with a pizza and get rear ended and the pizza flys forward and splats the windshield - I think it’s supposed to be an allegory for the kids in the back flying forwards and braining their mum

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

Piss inside then.

Shameful that :justpiss: isn't already an emoji

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jose posted:

His pinned tweet is a patreon saying he's been cancelled so

It's gotten that bad huh? I did wonder why he kicked off on QT to what was a fairly (if I remember correctly) mild comment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jel Shaker posted:

Yeah I remember that advert where the family are driving home with a pizza and get rear ended and the pizza flys forward and splats the windshield - I think it’s supposed to be an allegory for the kids in the back flying forwards and braining their mum
I remember the one where it was like "this woman is about to be killed by someone she knows, this boy is about to become a killer" and then shows a car being rear ended, it seemed a lot more effective than "you might hurt yourself" because like why would I hurt myself, I'm careful.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Shameful that :justpiss: isn't already an emoji
:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd assume that he was always a knob, it's just before QT, nobody knew who he was, so nobody was listening. Post QT, it's a mixture of arrogant bravado and the sly calculation that he can probably wrangle more money and publicity out of this than he could doing acting gigs.