Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This made me feel like it wasn't so bad most of the time because the provinces were gigantic. But I was kind of misremembering, they weren't that big, at least for playable areas. EU1 and EU2 shared one map and it was pretty cool considering the game released in 2000.

New EU4 dev diary on Maritime Southeast Asia: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-14th-of-july-2020.1405436/

I like the added detail but I hope this expansion makes trade a little more interesting, as it's very important for any country around the Malacca node.

Oh yeah, they decided to use the hideous board game map instead of drawing it to resemble the actual earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
SE Asia games are a lot of fun, but they go way too fast and are usually over by like 1500 because that's when you run out of meaningful challengers so it would be nice if the devs could do something to address that because the start of the game is cool and then two wars later you go from an OPM to regional super power because everyone around you is too small.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh yeah, they decided to use the hideous board game map instead of drawing it to resemble the actual earth.

The original EU3 map was somehow even worse lol

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Ithle01 posted:

SE Asia games are a lot of fun, but they go way too fast and are usually over by like 1500 because that's when you run out of meaningful challengers so it would be nice if the devs could do something to address that because the start of the game is cool and then two wars later you go from an OPM to regional super power because everyone around you is too small.

The increased province density and number of tags will definitely help with alleviating this, I think. It should provide more time and opportunity for the AI to blob up and present a slightly bigger roadblock to the player.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Deltasquid posted:

The original EU3 map was somehow even worse lol

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
That's gotta be like a beta screenshot or something right? I know I didn't start playing until after Napoleon's Ambition came out but come on, there's no way that was EU3 1.0.

Edit: Lmao I'm the yin-yang symbol for what I assume is stability.

Beet fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 14, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shawon Dunston posted:

That's gotta be like a beta screenshot or something right? I know I didn't start playing until after Napoleon's Ambition came out but come on, there's no way that was EU3 1.0.

Edit: Lmao I'm the yin-yang symbol for what I assume is stability.

In fairness, yes, I think this is a pre-release screenshot (basedon the menu in the bottom right being missing), but it is one of the ones used on the store page for EU3 complete, so clearly they considered it representative! Here's another that looks closer to how I remember it from around release:

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Reveilled posted:

In fairness, yes, I think this is a pre-release screenshot (basedon the menu in the bottom right being missing), but it is one of the ones used on the store page for EU3 complete, so clearly they considered it representative! Here's another that looks closer to how I remember it from around release:

I'd heard rumors of Red Austria but I never believed them until now.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
SEA update looks dope as heck. Palembang being Hindu means you can be a Hindu Pirate Republic super early and easy which is lots of fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

New EU4 dev diary on Maritime Southeast Asia: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-14th-of-july-2020.1405436/

I like the added detail but I hope this expansion makes trade a little more interesting, as it's very important for any country around the Malacca node.
I'm hoping that they add some new achievements. I was amused that they found a way to insert a few inland provinces here and there. I have to wonder if they are going to do anything about the culture groups other than the one that they mentioned on Java, because as it stands right now the Indonesian culture groups are always "slam Accept Culture as soon as possible" because there is so much dev in each culture group compared to some of the tiny ones in Indochina and India.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shawon Dunston posted:

I'd heard rumors of Red Austria but I never believed them until now.

I had completely forgotten about orange Denmark tho

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

PittTheElder posted:

I had completely forgotten about orange Denmark tho
Burgundy is some weird yellow-orange color too.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i hope they have an event for the earthquake that destroyed much of prambanan that will allow a hindu state to restore it, because that would be dope

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Shawon Dunston posted:

The increased province density and number of tags will definitely help with alleviating this, I think. It should provide more time and opportunity for the AI to blob up and present a slightly bigger roadblock to the player.

I hope so, one of the issues I've noticed is that because of the way the region is defined AE is effectively meaningless and alliances are less potent because of navies so there's no real penalty to grabbing as much territory as possible at all times.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Burgundy is some weird yellow-orange color too.

That's because it's Spain.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

that wasteland in Sumatra kills me. Will have to walk a gazillion miles to get to the province just west of me

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

that wasteland in Sumatra kills me. Will have to walk a gazillion miles to get to the province just west of me
Yeah it is pretty crazy.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

yikes! posted:

I was curious about this myself so I did some cursory checking around and apparently those mountains get up to around three and a half kilometers high and even to this day rail ways in Sumatra are basically disconnected. The interior wasn't even opened by the Dutch until the later 19th century. The travel sites I looked at described it as "rough by South East Asian standards" and basically said to just take a plane if you want to go somewhere.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ithle01 posted:

"rough by South East Asian standards"

Haha that's really saying something. Thanks for looking into it, that's neat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

yikes! posted:

> use boat

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Would make sense if the malayan region tags got marines.

I still haven't used marines but Sumatra's going to be wars that are almost all naval landings.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Would make sense if the malayan region tags got marines.

I still haven't used marines but Sumatra's going to be wars that are almost all naval landings.

More like dominoes. Knock em over one at a time.
edit: you probably want to take maritime in this region anyway.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

When people say no cb, does that mean declaring war on someone without a cb?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Qubee posted:

You got it.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Qubee posted:

Yep. Though no cb wars are not advisable outside of niche stuff involving OPMs or vassalizing the Byzantines before the Ottomans eat them.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

no cb best cb

(note, no cbs are in fact not the best cb)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Shawon Dunston posted:

Yep. Though no cb wars are not advisable outside of niche stuff involving OPMs or vassalizing the Byzantines before the Ottomans eat them.

Yeah, although there's a number of those special situations. Getting a foothold in e.g. Ireland or Africa or the New World before you have the range to core or colonize there is a key element in some strategies: no-CB some poor bastard, vassalize them, then conquer and core one of their neighbours. Can also be worth it to kill a center of reformation. Or against someone who's allied to some power that's in a coalition against you, so you can get a truce against that coalition member. And sometimes you just need to get some strategic location before someone else does.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
As in, when you're starting out you shouldn't be using no-CBs until you have a better understanding of the cost involved through playing the game normally. It's not just the Admin points for stability! You also might want to pay down your War Exhaustion with Diplo points, and there's an aggressive expansion penalty for the countries in close proximity, amplified by same culture and same religion.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Qubee posted:

Yep. The only thing which would be more painful than no cb declaring on somebody is no cb truce breaking (literally only do this in fringe cases like if you're playing as the Byzantines and won your first war against the Ottomans and you're ready to go for round 2 as soon as the first war ends)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Deltasquid posted:

Yep. The only thing which would be more painful than no cb declaring on somebody is no cb truce breaking (literally only do this in fringe cases like if you're playing as the Byzantines and won your first war against the Ottomans and you're ready to go for round 2 as soon as the first war ends)

That exact scenario is the only time I’ve ever done a truce-breaking war and it owned. So satisfying.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Huh, what happened to my alliance with Austria, I don't remember a call to arms I missed or anything....

...oh. Oh.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
how does a gamer join the hre nowadays? im not allowed to move my capital into it anymore

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Open the HRE window and there is a join HRE button in the lower left corner, mouse over to see why it's grayed out if it is. Very convenient. :toot:

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Just keep in mind there is effectively a development cap on joining the HRE, past ~150 or so you won't be able to. Not 100% sure if that counts vassals or not though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How does Spain do the 'Spain is the Emperor' achievement then? I started out the game as Castille with too high of a development to join.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

AnEdgelord posted:

How does Spain do the 'Spain is the Emperor' achievement then? I started out the game as Castille with too high of a development to join.

Vassalise four electors and they'll vote for you the next time the emperor dies. Elected emperors are automatically granted membership.

E: Or just make friends with electors who don't like the current emperor.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, I haven't played EU4 since like, 4 years ago (or whenever Westernisation was still a thing) but the SEA update makes me want to play again. I'm Malaysian so Malacca is my default start for most stuff :v: What's the important DLCs to get nowadays?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You don’t have to be in the empire to get elected.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Ibblebibble posted:

Man, I haven't played EU4 since like, 4 years ago (or whenever Westernisation was still a thing) but the SEA update makes me want to play again. I'm Malaysian so Malacca is my default start for most stuff :v: What's the important DLCs to get nowadays?

I did a mini-effortpost about the DLCs since 2017 a few pages back, I'll grab a link in a sec, but if you're that far behind in DLC, there is another option. They've introduced a subscription model for $5/mo that gives you everything, so if you're looking to get back in for a bit, that's probably the best bet since you can just unsub when you get bored again and not spend a hundred dollars on DLCs, especially since there was just a sale at the release of Emperor last month so there probably won't be another one for a few months (though it's possible they do another big sale come CK3's release in September).

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3840754&pagenumber=299&perpage=40#post506349622 covers everything from Mandate of Heaven to the present.

Beet fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You don’t have to be in the empire to get elected.

Always fun for a big blobby power to usurp the HRE and expand it in directions God and His angels never intended.