Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It does ramping damage (increasing more slowly over the course of a clip). I think it’s 350 or so if you can hold the beam for a full clip, so you’re losing about 40% of your damage if you interrupt your attack unnecessarily. Holding fire through dashes takes getting used to but is necessary. I won with triple beam and Poseidon attack, pushback and area control probably let me scale the damage more easily than other builds would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Am I to understand that you continuously fire through dash? :stare:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Is it just me or is Lucifer really under powered? I think it's really good with the legendary boon from Aphrodite or Demeter, or with support fire from Artemis, but it feels very not good.

What am I missing?

its bombs absolutely gently caress

my first run with it i got the hammer upgrade that lets you fire multiple bombs at once and from that point on i only used the laser beam to detonate them (when i wasnt just exploding them by dashing through)

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Yeah, I'm not totally sold on the beam, but the Lucifer special is absolutely amazing. Triple bomb hammer is an easy win, but it's very strong even without it.

I didn't realize you could keep your beam up while dashing. That may be a game changer.

https://i.imgur.com/6NzcYnE.mp4

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

gently caress. Alright, we'll try it your way!

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I didn't realize you could keep your beam up while dashing. That may be a game changer.

This applies to the other Aspects of the rail as well, which isn't as important since they don't ramp similarly but will improve dps considerably once you get used to it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Beat the third boss a few times but it is a grind. Finding an opening to attack then plinking away with miserable dps makes it a real slog.

The poison stuff in level 4 is super hard to deal with, it kills so fast.

Is Poseidon any good? Most of his boons seem pretty weak to me and I've been taking pretty much any other door when they're available.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
He's good if can get a bunch of his boons that all work together, but that's true of any god. Under normal conditions he's the worst of them, I reckon. Knockback is fun, but usually I want the enemies to stay put so I can unload on them.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The sword's lifesteal effect seems like it can break the game. I cheesed Elysium on my first try, but got my rear end kicked by the boss.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Double post somehow

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I had a run where I got pretty much all Dionysus boons and it was great. So far I'm trying to give one nectar to everyone to get their trinket thing and have leveled Dionysus, chaos and the health potion one up. The extra heals really helped me a lot.

I laughed a lot when I unlocked the last weapon.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You guys posting about having trouble with the bow I recommend Chiron aspect. Bow is probably my least favourite weapon too but I'm still having lots of fun with it and set my personal best bow time and one of my fastest runs overall with Chiron just now:

I was a bit worried about my pact timer in Elysium, having been tempted into opening a trove and also losing a lot of time in one room with loads of annoying terrain blocking my shots. I got to the upgraded boss fight with 54 seconds left on the clock. I won the fight with 6 seconds left. I believe 48 seconds is the fastest I've ever killed those two, by a fairly wide margin. If I hadn't screwed around with the trove and shooting arrows into walls repeatedly like a moron I could have easily set my second fastest run time overall. Final boss went down in maybe a little over a minute which was one of my fastest kills there too. I obviously got pretty lucky with the build synergy this time, but I've had more average luck with Chiron before and still finished in <30 mins.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dr Christmas posted:

The sword's lifesteal effect seems like it can break the game. I cheesed Elysium on my first try, but got my rear end kicked by the boss.

You think it's broken now, when it was first introduced the lifesteal scaled off damage dealt and it was loving insane for like a day before they nerfed it

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think Poseidon is easy to undervalue. He doesn’t do much against bosses, who are very likely to end your runs, but he’s fantastic in big rooms, which can put you in a better position over the course of a game, especially if you’re pressed for time.

Dash does moderate damage and hits everyone in a decent radius, which can help stun lock, easily the safest dash after Athena’s, and often the most damaging. Cast has huge AoE, trap and wall damage scales with biome but isn’t shown anywhere (making the Minotaur run into the pillars is an important way to get free damage on him). His call is a great panic button that can help deal with the crowd you’re presumably trying to escape from. There’s a new boon that extends the duration and it feels pretty good.

Repositioning the enemy is powerful when you do it right but a skill all on its own. It’s also very frustrating when it goes wrong but several AI updates have improved on that. His boon that stuns enemies you push into a wall doesn’t do any damage but can make making a death ball and really getting in there quite safe.

Rupture is the least interesting status at present and the part of his kit I most hope gets reworked. gently caress DPS with no interesting mechanic, make it cause more damage as the enemy moves so it scales super hard with his other boons or something, it’ll still be decent against bosses just because they don’t get stunned.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The most disappointing thing about stuff like Chiron and Demeter aspects, or anything with multihit, is finding that stuff like Zeus lightning has a short internal cooldown. Dealing 40 bonus damage with Demeter fists special rather than 5x that is a bit underwhelming.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Razakai posted:

The most disappointing thing about stuff like Chiron and Demeter aspects, or anything with multihit, is finding that stuff like Zeus lightning has a short internal cooldown. Dealing 40 bonus damage with Demeter fists special rather than 5x that is a bit underwhelming.

Are you sure about this I have never noticed an issue absolutely wrecking poo poo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It would have to be really short. Chiron Zeus definitely multihits though I don't know if it's a full 7.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
According to the wiki:

quote:

Has internal cooldown of .2 per target. (Bolt only triggers, at most, 5 times per second per enemy)

I find Poseidon is extremely good in Elysium and Styx for his ability to lock down and deal massive damage to small enemies in the presence of barriers and not good against bosses, so I try to put him on a big, slower attack and find a single-target god to put on my main DPS attack.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Zeus stuff totally has an internal sanity check, sadly. Point-blanking a normal bow's special with a Zeus upgrade should give a full NINE lightning bolts, the big bad bolts that do serious damage. But no, you only get like four-ish. Doesn't mean his stuff is weak, just not one-shotting bosses with a single boon is all.

edit: beaten. Artemis's support fire I'm pretty sure has the same sanity checks, but since it applies to everything it's usually pretty easy to casually fill the screen with arrows rather than trying to explicitly exploit it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 13, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Even at four I think Chiron special Zeus is the strongest thing in the game you can do in the first room of tartarus.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Dr Christmas posted:

it was pretty good when i got it on one of my recent runs, but the reduction in life total is pretty significant, and it was harder than i thought it would be to consistently get in a lot of attacks in a row. a lot of the stuff i do is special/dash attack/whatever so i had to consciously try to get in as many normal attacks as i could

people have been kind of down in this thread on poseidon but i pretty consistently take his trinket when starting a spear run or a rail run. the damage is really good and if you can get rupture and/or the zeus duo boon it ends up paying off pretty well

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I changed my mind on poseidon and am happy to take him act 1 now for most weapons, especially on olympic favor runs (hestia rail). I'm generally happy with anyone that isn't ares or dionysus really.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Best case for dio is to rush exclusive access and making your mirror fit that. Never be afraid to give up and redo your mirror!

No Wave posted:

Even at four I think Chiron special Zeus is the strongest thing in the game you can do in the first room of tartarus.

Agreed. I got rama with the +4 and achieved a similar result.

Whoever suggested Plume/Zagfist, great idea. getting essentially free heat from the timers that you have to complete anyway and giving enemies +40% speed is basically free too. I never before noticed that you can get plume charges from the final rooms in the temple and from the final boss. 33.6% plume dodge at the end of my run, 15% from the fists. With ruthless reflex up that's drat near 100% dodge. If it scales good, 98%. if it scales bad, that's still 71% dodge with it all up. And there's a couple different ways to get sturdy on it.

I was capping around 11 heat before i took a break a few months ago. After a couple days relearning the game, just cleared 14.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

dmboogie posted:

its bombs absolutely gently caress

my first run with it i got the hammer upgrade that lets you fire multiple bombs at once and from that point on i only used the laser beam to detonate them (when i wasnt just exploding them by dashing through)

I had the gun get dark thirst so I tried a lucifer bomb build. Went with Artemis charm and got special crit in the first room, Daedalus hammer gave me triple special shot in Tartarus as well. You weren't kidding, the bombs absolutely gently caress. The potential burst damage is enormous. I had Lucifer at level 4 so it was scaling off of 100 base damage. Later on I got another hammer that put something stupid like 250% more special damage on it.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

No Wave posted:

Did they rework this? I'm pretty sure this doesn't work out all that well in my experience, would usually only get 1 bolt per special use on most enemies.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I escaped with the spear for the first time. Got a lot of stuff that let me dash around dealing damage and attack quicker. One thing that'd be nice would be seeing on the select menu what are boons and what aren't. It'd be useful for things like meeting eurydice.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
After sixty hours of intentionally looking for it, watching 2 of my buddies get it back-to-back while we were all playing on discord, and a ridiculous number of runs forcing an Athena boon in Tartarus, I've FINALLY rolled her Legendary and finished all of the God Boon prophecies.

With 4 more duos I'll have finished all of them, but jesus christ that took so long.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Tried out the Poseidon sword and ended up with an Artemis cast build with all the right boons (including Hermes' legendary), but it ended up being more frustrating than I expected. Big rooms in Styx were hard to deal with as there was too much going on to really focus on one target.

Dad went down harder than Bouldy on a hill, though. That bit was fun.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Sword heal is ridiculously good and excalibur feels so much better than all the other sword aspects its absurd.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Excalibur gets so many benefits its absurd. Big range, big damage, big health, damage reduction. Sure it's slow, but is that a problem when it's good at literally everything else?

Needless to say I haven't really used any other sword aspect in a while.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Tried out Beowulf shield. Got Poseidon's cast in the first room. Everything in the first two zones exploded into a fine mist.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I guess I need to give Excalibur another chance some time. It was far too slow for me and I felt like I was being tricked into staying inside the protective zone thing, so I kept eating hits.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Glare Seethe posted:

I guess I need to give Excalibur another chance some time. It was far too slow for me and I felt like I was being tricked into staying inside the protective zone thing, so I kept eating hits.

Naw the enemies go in the zone, you generally don't have much cause to be in there yourself.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Excalibur seems like something good on low heat levels, but once there's enough armor and enemy speed on the table, it'd be way too slow to keep up. I had a few rooms on low heat where I couldn't get a hit out without being interrupted if surrounded.

I'm still working through sub-10 heat bounties so it'll be a bit before I'll test that out myself.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Most 32 heat runs are done with excalibur its never bad.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Glare Seethe posted:

Important thing to be aware of; you can dash mid-combo without breaking it, which means you can dash in on the 3rd big hit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've got 8 blood now after escaping with sword, spear and the hilarious gun. What means are there to get more? I've been hoarding it because I'm not sure where to spend and how I can get more. Same with ambrosia, though I spent my diamonds on upgrades

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Since you've escaped you should be seeing the Pact of Punishment each time you start a run, right? if you actually turn any of the punishments on it resets the major rewards, so you can get 2 blood, 1 diamond, and 1 ambrosia per weapon per heat level.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ah yeah. I've been ignoring it to try and finish the rest of the weapons. What are good weapon upgrades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the base fists are worth upgrading imo. Hera bow is cool. I like the nemesis sword but I just unlocked the Arthur aspect