Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Virtual Russian posted:

That clashes heavily with the NDP's primary branding seeming to be "the place excitement goes to die."

Yeah. If I start to feel this way is the Green party worth supporting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Renaissance Spam posted:

Yeah. If I start to feel this way is the Green party worth supporting?

they’re the reincarnation of the reform party so no, lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

abuse culture. posted:

e-may is no preston manning imo

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Eh, at the end of the day they are still liberals. NDP is where real progress will come from though electoral politics in Canada if such a thing occurs. The NDP really needs to realize that it will never win by moving right or toning down it's message.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

abuse culture. posted:

GODDAMNIT Okay forget that poo poo.

Virtual Russian posted:

Eh, at the end of the day they are still liberals. NDP is where real progress will come from though electoral politics in Canada if such a thing occurs. The NDP really needs to realize that it will never win by moving right or toning down it's message.

Got it; be vocal and don't let them off the hook for tacking right.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Virtual Russian posted:

The NDP really needs to realize that it will never win by moving right or toning down it's message.

What if, instead of realizing that, they doubled down on 3rd way centrism for another decade or two? Maybe shuffled a few more temporarily embarrassed Liberals through the party leadership?

That'd be good too, right?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

"Hey, we'd be insane to stop trying now, surely we'll win eventually by doing the same dumb thing over and over."

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
The NDP is by far the best party that currently has any elected representatives and they loving suck horribly. They're just the best as a result of how horrible the other ones are.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
From time to time there will be a spark of not-suck in the NDP and my hopes will rise, only to be dashed again.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I would be very much surprised if Singh didn't go back to centrist liberal garbage by the time the next election rolls around. He pretends to be a progressive but he doesn't give a poo poo any more than anyone else in Canadian politics.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Renaissance Spam posted:

Goddamnit the NDP called me today and I really wanted to get into it with the caller, really get engaged and share in their excitement and it was so clear there was a strict script and vague policy information.

I signed up to volunteer because I am not sitting by and letting my years of hard sell sales go to waste while well meaning telemarketers kill any excitement for voting left of centre.

My understanding is that a while back the NDP outsourced most of their calling to professional call centres so instead of passionate but bumbling volunteers calling you, you get called by efficient telemarketers who have no interest in engaging with you because they aren't actually Dippers, they're just reading a script the same way they would to sell you a timeshare. Does this align with your experience of their call?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

vyelkin posted:

My understanding is that a while back the NDP outsourced most of their calling to professional call centres so instead of passionate but bumbling volunteers calling you, you get called by efficient telemarketers who have no interest in engaging with you because they aren't actually Dippers, they're just reading a script the same way they would to sell you a timeshare. Does this align with your experience of their call?

I'm pretty sure this was a passionate but bumbling volunteer; either that or they're doing weird training at the call centre because this was not an efficient call.

Big thing was I wanted detailed platform information and kept getting "Feel free to look it up" and "I'll have to check" outside of a bullet point breakdown that was still pretty vague.

Then when I asked about getting involved she couldn't even give me the website which was kind of the breaking point; I went straight to the NDP website and signed up to volunteer.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

From time to time there will be a spark of not-suck in the NDP and my hopes will rise, only to be dashed again.

god, this

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Well if the NDP do actual win more seats get ready for this bullshit

https://twitter.com/doug_schweitzer/status/1282872099091042306?s=19

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

apatheticman posted:

Well if the NDP do actual win more seats get ready for this bullshit

https://twitter.com/doug_schweitzer/status/1282872099091042306?s=19

That's god drat despicable!

e: I agree with those saying they should have been fired. I'm guessing the police union is saving their sorry asses.

CocoaNuts has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Jul 14, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Renaissance Spam posted:

I'm pretty sure this was a passionate but bumbling volunteer; either that or they're doing weird training at the call centre because this was not an efficient call.

Big thing was I wanted detailed platform information and kept getting "Feel free to look it up" and "I'll have to check" outside of a bullet point breakdown that was still pretty vague.

Then when I asked about getting involved she couldn't even give me the website which was kind of the breaking point; I went straight to the NDP website and signed up to volunteer.

I'm glad to hear that, maybe the outsourcing was oversold or has since been undone. Imo it was a mistake in the first place.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Any time any of you think that the green party might merit your support, remember that theyre basically the political party equivalent of your environmentally conscious aunt who believes in conspiracy theories, race based eugenics, and that poor people are just lazy.

And also she fly tips the trash she picks up around her cul-de-sac.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also remember that the Green Party holds the balance of power in BC and has not used it to push an environmentalist agenda, they've used it to push an anti-labour agenda.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Now maybe I’m reading into this too much but mayhaps perhaps the Green Party is bad.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The green party are just conservatives who accept climate change is real.

Their green jackets are lined blue on the interior.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

in true canadian fashion, all our political parties are poo poo but everyone thinks they're perfectly acceptable because at least they aren't the democrats or republicans

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Didn't one of the BC greens run on a platform years ago of making it legal for men to sexually assault their wives again, or am I misremembering?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they’re...

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Support for Premier John Horgan is at the highest point reached by any political leader in B.C. in the eight years pollster Insights West has been conducting surveys.

Horgan's approval rating now sits at 68 per cent, which is 17 points higher than seven months ago.

B.C. Liberal leader Andrew Wilkinson's rating has dropped five points since November and is now at 30 per cent, according to the results of an online survey of 830 B.C. residents.

If an election were held today, 47 per cent of respondents say they would vote for the NDP.

Only 29 per cent of respondents say they would cast a ballot for the B.C. Liberals, the lowest figure for the party since the 2017 election.

Support for the Greens and Conservatives has also fallen since November.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Idle question as I'm about to revisit Thomas King's The Inconvenient Indian : does anyone know of good writing on the practice of sentencing Aboriginal people to have to perform in Buffalo Bill's Wild West show?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The loving what now

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Juul-Whip posted:

Support for Premier John Horgan is at the highest point reached by any political leader in B.C. in the eight years pollster Insights West has been conducting surveys.

Horgan's approval rating now sits at 68 per cent, which is 17 points higher than seven months ago.

B.C. Liberal leader Andrew Wilkinson's rating has dropped five points since November and is now at 30 per cent, according to the results of an online survey of 830 B.C. residents.

If an election were held today, 47 per cent of respondents say they would vote for the NDP.

Only 29 per cent of respondents say they would cast a ballot for the B.C. Liberals, the lowest figure for the party since the 2017 election.

Support for the Greens and Conservatives has also fallen since November.

Not gonna say Horgan is great but holy poo poo I'd kill for the BC NDP over these UCP fucks

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:smith:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Jun 20, 2021

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Hollyword Hork Horgan

set phasers to... PUN :riker:

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
I got a call from the BC NDP today and the volunteer mentioned that Andrew Weaver has officially stepped down to care for his sick wife and how they are worried the new leader won't support the coalition. I'm sure it must be a donation grift cuz there's no way they'd call an election now with the liberals in the gutter. But still...I hear the whispers of Christie Clark on the wind. Shudder.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Doctor posted:

I got a call from the BC NDP today and the volunteer mentioned that Andrew Weaver has officially stepped down to care for his sick wife and how they are worried the new leader won't support the coalition. I'm sure it must be a donation grift cuz there's no way they'd call an election now with the liberals in the gutter. But still...I hear the whispers of Christie Clark on the wind. Shudder.

"no way they'd call an election now"

If only they would

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 has issued a correction as of 04:09 on Mar 31, 2022

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
the gently caress is an ndp mayor

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

the gently caress is an ndp mayor

I think in BC they have parties at the municipal level.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

there are parties and their members may be affiliated with the NDP at the provincial or federal level but nobody runs as NDP at the municipal level. yes there are some supplyist freaks in the BCNDP and there are people who are afraid to do anything that could harm homeowner equity. no I don't care that the lovely Burnaby mayor is lovely and i will still be campaigning for a strong stable majority in 2021

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Jul 16, 2020

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

The only municipal party I've seen reflected at other levels of government is the Greens.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

in theory I guess there could be a municipal NDP but you can see the value in having the party brand remain separate from its many sleazy affiliates at the municipal level lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There's a local crank here who's run for council a few times and is absolutely prolific on #topoli who insists on calling any not explicitly right wing city councilors "NDP". Absolutely everything that happens in the city that he doesn't like is a conspiracy on the part of the NDP and these nogoodnik commies elected to office.

We do not have political parties at the municipal level in Toronto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

splifyphus posted:

I had a semi-private meeting with the (former) NDP mayor of Burnaby about maybe not tearing down all the low income housing for investment condos and driving people out into the streets, and I walked out of that meeting a communist.

The NDP are very, very, very bad people and hypocrites to the core. Please never vote for them.

I assume you are talking about Derek Corrigan (whose party, Burnaby Citizens Association, is informally associated with the NDP) - he is very bad on housing. So bad that he managed to get turfed even though his party won 7/8 seats on Burnaby City Council (the other going to Joey Shithead!). I wouldn't put a lot of weight on Corrigan's views being representative of the NDP as a whole, but there is ample other evidence to show that the BCNDP is absolutely abysmal on the housing front. Today's "plan" for rent repayment being one of them.