Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

tater_salad posted:

What did they do?

I can't tell you. You have to give them your card # to find out.

You loving illiterate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Looks to me like they make bananas embarrassed.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Escape velocity override was absolutely incredible.

Hate to get this thread off topic too much but for lovers of escape velocity, one of the original developers is remaking Escape Velocity Override.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My girlfriend was riding her horse and got hit by a car and killed the horse. Will the drivers insurance cover the cost of the horse as well as the vet bill?. Happened in Ireland.

quote:

Hi this just happened a few hours ago but I thought I'd see if anyone can give me some advice. Luckily my girlfriend had no serious injuries. She was riding riding her horse from our field to our yard (3-5 min walk) and a driver of a 4x4 with cattle trailer tried to overtake the horse and rider on a narrow straight single lane road at a high speed My girlfriend managed to swerve off to the left to get out of the way but there was a telegraph pole and the horse hit it and fell backwards and processed to get hit by the cattle trailer. Horse suffered major injuries and was treated by a vet within 10 minutes of incident and he arrived and instantly said the horse wouldn't make it. We now have a bill for the vet as well as the horse removal company. We were very emotionally attached to the horse and my girlfriend is very upset, but also a bit shocked as she could have easily died if she didn't fall that way . I watched the whole thing from about 10ft away and I'm still a bit shaken.

I phoned the police to report the incident and they told me to give a report tomorrow at the station. I got all the drivers info , and reg plate.

Does anyone have any advice just on what I should do next ?

GWM business plan: horse removal company

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tater_salad posted:

What did they do?

If it's not spoiling the heck out of your appetite after giving you a cheap present that you still love, I want no part in it.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Even more GWM if you’re also a horse hitman.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

I wondered just what kind of truck you need to remove a dead horse. I was picturing one of those army flatbed trucks with a built in crane and sure enough if you want the best you spring for these guys with their custom built rigs:

https://www.dignifiedanimaldisposal.com/our-services posted:

If you can't afford the best, call the Los Angeles Sanitation Department, they have their own special garbage truck to send your horse off on the cheap:

Are you an equestrian white supremacist? Someone's got you covered too:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

A horse hearse. Hoarse

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There used to be an A&W and Taco Bell hybrid restaurant where I lived.

It closed down in 2012, but was apparently a very rare combo. Most A&Ws in America were stand-alone or paired with KFC.

That is my A&W story. Namaste.

Was it Taco Bell or was it Amigo's? In the midwest, a lot of times they were paired with this low-rent Mexican fast food joint that was mostly known for their "crisp meat burrito" which was basically taco meat rolled in a tortilla and then deep fried. Horrifying but fantastic drunk food.

That was up there with the "Runza" in popularity in Nebraska, and holy poo poo do people like Runzas there.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

BMan posted:

A horse hearse. Hoarse

nothing says dignified removal like old Fancy Dancy Magic Prancy being rolled out the back of a dump truck way out back while two stablehands shovel up some spare ash from the horcinerator and charge you $400 for a keepsake box

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

Was it Taco Bell or was it Amigo's? In the midwest, a lot of times they were paired with this low-rent Mexican fast food joint that was mostly known for their "crisp meat burrito" which was basically taco meat rolled in a tortilla and then deep fried. Horrifying but fantastic drunk food.

That was up there with the "Runza" in popularity in Nebraska, and holy poo poo do people like Runzas there.

Yum! Brands sold off A&W and Long John Silver’s in late 2011, but until then you could find any combination of A&W, Long John Silver’s, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC in the United States.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

OctaMurk posted:

Hate to get this thread off topic too much but for lovers of escape velocity, one of the original developers is remaking Escape Velocity Override.

Welp, keeping an eye on this for sure.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Is this going to be impossible to fill or is this going to get filled because of the currently massive unemployment? Lots of people are desperate right now I imagine.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Endless space is a pretty good analog for EV.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cacafuego posted:

[GWM business plan: horse removal company
Only if you have a knack for it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

quote:

Outside wilderness areas, the removal of a dead horse differs. On National Forest lands where other trail users "may be offended by the sight of a dead animal, bears may be attracted to the site or quick removal is necessary", the local ranger office has to be notified. That office will then contact a qualified blaster. The blaster's job is to blow the horse up! With up to or over 100 pounds of dynamite placed on, over and around the carcass, the fuse is lit and the horse blown to pieces. National Forest Service logic, no "large pieces" to attract bears, mountain lions which in turn would endanger human life. There is one caution to this procedure. Before lighting the fuse be sure to remove the iron shoes from the horse. If not, someone could get hit with flying shrapnel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kazmeyer posted:

Runzas are loving good, basically just like what if you made an extremely high quality hot pocket. That is probably the best thing about Nebraska, besides leaving.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shipping Runzas to former residents is maybe our biggest export here in Nebraska.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Griefor posted:

Is this going to be impossible to fill or is this going to get filled because of the currently massive unemployment? Lots of people are desperate right now I imagine.

It’ll get filled, especially if it’s in a city people want to live in. Note that the educational requirement is extremely non specific, and a lot of the other stuff is fudge-able. Basically there’s a whole bottom feeder tier of office admin work that preys on people with masters and PhDs in areas that they can’t get work in and who need to pay the bills, ideally while continuing a job search in the same area. I’ve waded through way too many adverts like that.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'd loving take it right now

Well not really, but I'm getting desperate over here. It's me, I am the BWM

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

kazmeyer posted:

My friends and I also once took a road trip to Scottsbluff just to eat Runza and see a place we haven't before. Scottsbluff is boring as hell, the Runza was the highlight of the trip.

Avoid their other two fast food institutions, Valentino's and Amigo's, at all costs, though. Valentino's was hot and filled with flies and tasted like sadness. Amigo's simply tastes like a Nebraskan interpretation of Mexican food.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I mean, I’ve done similar in the past. The upside is that it lets you fluff out your resume and you don’t have to have any loyalty what so ever. Get a new job a month in? gently caress it, ghost ‘em and move on.

But yeah it’s exploitative as all gently caress

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Griefor posted:

The Masters degree thing is likely not a real requirement, someone using a copy & paste and leaving a requirement. This looks like a pretty standard proofer description which pay around that and never requires a masters.

Ironically, they probably really do need the proof reader.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

I felt like this had to be bullshit, so I did some digging.

Not only is it real, there's a Park Service manual that covers it. Page 30 even has a diagram of a dead horse that shows where to put the explosives.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lockback posted:

The Masters degree thing is likely not a real requirement, someone using a copy & paste and leaving a requirement. This looks like a pretty standard proofer description which pay around that and never requires a masters.

Ironically, they probably really do need the proof reader.

Remember how in the 70s you could be a secretary with a HS education and by the tome the 00s came around a BA was a hard requirement?

We’re starting to see that with masters. As a result we’re also seeing a proliferation of “eh it’s a masters, I guess” programs to just check off the credential requirement. One year online only programs for masters in administrative science and the like are increasingly common. Note that the main entry requirement for the program I linked is a 2.75 undergrad GPA.

Now obviously there is an upper limit to this. It isn’t sustainable to expect every admin assistant to have a masters. But as long as we have unlimited, undischargable student debt we’re going to have this ratcheting credential BS.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm reminded of the goon who's office had a new unpaid intern with their doctorate, that they called Dr. Intern.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Well obviously they are smarter if they got a masters degree

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Poor Freckles, saw an ant, died, and got blown up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Moneyball posted:

Before lighting the fuse be sure to remove the iron shoes from the horse.
they call it the "Iron Shoe Hank" rule

aint that right Iron Shoe Hank?

Iron Shoe Hank: *forehead print of horseshoe* "yeah"

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I’m the “up to or over 100 pounds of dynamite”

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BMan posted:

A horse hearse. Hoarse

A corpse is a corpse, of course, of course.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Remember how in the 70s you could be a secretary with a HS education and by the tome the 00s came around a BA was a hard requirement?

We’re starting to see that with masters. As a result we’re also seeing a proliferation of “eh it’s a masters, I guess” programs to just check off the credential requirement. One year online only programs for masters in administrative science and the like are increasingly common. Note that the main entry requirement for the program I linked is a 2.75 undergrad GPA.

Now obviously there is an upper limit to this. It isn’t sustainable to expect every admin assistant to have a masters. But as long as we have unlimited, undischargable student debt we’re going to have this ratcheting credential BS.

Also with EVERYONE having a BA nowadays, it's nothing special. Everyone has one!! We need someone with a Master's, they'll be the real shining example of achievement for this low-paying generic office worker job!!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I used to drive by the roadkill collection place of a medium sized Oklahoma city all the time. It was a flatbed truck with a pyramid of corpses: dogs, deer, raccoons, coyotes.

I learned my lesson the first time and stopped looking :(

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Speaking of unrealistic job ads...

quote:

IBM job ad calls for 12 years’ experience with Kubernetes – which is six years old

IBM's Global Technology Services has posted a job ad calling for candidates with a “minimum 12+ years’ experience in Kubernetes administration and management”.

Which is a little odd because the first GitHub commit for the project was made on June 7, 2014. And the feature freeze for version 1.0 was announced on May 22, 2015.

Sharp-minded Reg readers will have recognised that – absent time travel – it is therefore not possible for anyone to have 12 years’ experience with Kubernetes.

The ad is sadly silent on just how IBM expects candidates will have found the time to accumulate a dozen years’ experience in a six-year-old project.

At least IBM is not alone in making such a silly mistake: developer Sebastián Ramírez, who created FastAPI and Typer, recently shared a similar experience on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/tiangolo/status/1281946592459853830

https://www.theregister.com/2020/07/13/ibm_kubernetes_experience_job_ad/

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The takeaway from this should be that not meeting "minimum requirements" shouldn't stop you from applying for a job. The hiring manager at IBM isn't going to pass on a solid Kubernetes admin because they don't meet an impossible requirement on paper, assuming that the resume makes it past HR.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The takeaway from this should be that not meeting "minimum requirements" shouldn't stop you from applying for a job. The hiring manager at IBM isn't going to pass on a solid Kubernetes admin because they don't meet an impossible requirement on paper, assuming that the resume makes it past HR.

The extra fun thing here is now that HR firms use online forms that ask you for how many years of experience you have and if you don't put the impossible number in, it doesn't let you proceed and just goes 'sorry you're too new at this, bye'.

So you either answer honestly and get booted, or lie by entering an impossible number which they can then beat you with later.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

cstine posted:

So you either answer honestly and get booted,

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is a big thing that creates (hopefully unintended) gender bias. For whatever reasons women are more likely to look at a set of requirements and say "I don't have 3 of these, I shouldn't apply" where a man will say "I meet 9 out of 12, I should apply!".

I've been working with other teams in my company to do things like phrase requirements as "We are looking for a candidate with a combination of these skills" and other language to make it clear that every box doesn't need to be checked.

This doesn't help with impossible time travel requirements, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Ive been working for a small tech company In Dallas TX that has around 10 senior employees for the past 4 years.

We have been going through some budget cuts as well as removing the company policy for new hires to “double 401k contributions” meaning if I put 10$ in my 401k my employer puts in $20, leaving me with a $30 401k contribution.

The company is now removing this policy but as our contract reads the 10 of us are pretty much grandfathered in to this clause amidst stealing company property or being drunk / high on the job. So if I stole something from the company my employer has an out to terminate the contract.

Our boss recently took the 10 of us to Colorado for a week to ski on a company trip as a thank you. It is not unusual for him to thank us in these “big” ways. (In the past he has given bonuses, gift cards, ipads)

While we were in Colorado our boss said we should try some “Special brownies” and we all decided to eat/ try them as we are all close and pretty much all friends and its legal in Colorado. One girl did not for personal reasons.

We had an amazing time in Colorado and enjoying the activities for the week. But that all changed when we got back to Dallas the following Monday.

When we opened up all 10 of us were met with a random drug test which was odd because our Boss just last week indulged with us in eating Marijuana brownies.

Well come to find out 9 of us have all had our 401k contracts terminated per the stealing/drug/drunk clause. The only person who still has theres is the girl who did not eat the brownies.

My question is: is this even legal, do I have any course of action against what it feels like is “entrapment”

TLDR; We went on a company vacation, our boss bought us marijuana cookies and is now using us failing Mondays drug test to revoke our 401k contract

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/ewaq7j/free_company_vacation_leads_to_everyone_being/