Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

His comments about Reeve originated when someone said that no one would ever be more associated with Superman and Byrne's famous insane jealousy flared up.

gently caress John Byrne.

A friend used to hang out on his forums mostly for the train wreck aspect. He's only gotten worse. There's the infamous bit where something he had posted was re-quoted so much it no longer had his name on it and he started arguing with it until people said 'John, you said that.'

Why can't he be nice and talented like Walt Simonson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've long had a problem with how Byrne behaves. His weird attitude that he's the heir of Jack Kirby being chief among them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Have you seen Byrne's comments about Jessica Alba as Susan Storm?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Byrne viewing himself as some sort of cultural preserver of comics isn't anything really new, as he's been doing that since at least West Coast Avengers where his big storyline is to put the Vision back to where he was 'supposed' to be when Roy Thomas created him (despite Roy also being the one to give us green and emotional Vision).

Also he's just a tool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Have you seen Byrne's comments about Jessica Alba as Susan Storm?

Of course. He's a huge bitch.

I was in Chicago in 96 or 97 for Chicon and Byrne was at a panel with a few other guys and it was about the legacy of the industry and Byrne made this huge show about how somebody has to step up and take Kirby's place in the pantheon of comic creators and how he's so reluctant to do it despite everyone encouraging him to do so and another dude on the panel just straight up says "Nobody has every said that to you John. No one." And Byrne didn't say another word for the rest of the panel and it was glorious.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Dawgstar posted:

Byrne viewing himself as some sort of cultural preserver of comics isn't anything really new, as he's been doing that since at least West Coast Avengers where his big storyline is to put the Vision back to where he was 'supposed' to be when Roy Thomas created him (despite Roy also being the one to give us green and emotional Vision).

Also he's just a tool.

The best part of that weird framer's intent WCA run was that he took over the book from Englehart and Thomas would take over from him, so it's not like the guys who had written most of this stuff were unknowable historical figures lost to the sands of time, they were like using the same fax machine he was.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

chaosapiant posted:

Does the Morrison Omnibus vol 2 complete his run, or will there be a third one? Also, picking up my read again on Knightfall Omnibus Vol1, and this is such a great story I wish I’d read sooner. Bane is an absolutely brutal antagonist and is just wearing Batman down constantly.

Volume 3 covers both volumes of Batman Inc and comes out August 25th. Which may or may not be my birthday. This will be the second time an awesome Batman thing came out that day, the other being Arkham Asylum in 2009.

Be interesting to see what you think of the Knightsquest portion after Knightfall proper. My opinions are super biased because those were some of my first Batman comics.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Open Marriage Night posted:

Volume 3 covers both volumes of Batman Inc and comes out August 25th. Which may or may not be my birthday. This will be the second time an awesome Batman thing came out that day, the other being Arkham Asylum in 2009.

Be interesting to see what you think of the Knightsquest portion after Knightfall proper. My opinions are super biased because those were some of my first Batman comics.

Ok cool, so there will be a volume 3, excellent!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

How do you not know if August 25 is your birthday?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Came to earth as a baby in a space lifeboat obviously

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

How do you not know if August 25 is your birthday?

Shouldn’t be sharing personal information, but I can’t help that the final volume of Grant Morrison Batman omnibus’ is coming out then, as if it was purposely done as a gift for me. I’m going to try and smash the whole thing out over the weekend.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So as far as Knightfall Vol 1 goes, something I’m very impressed with is how much I like Jean Paul Valley. He’s a new character to the canon and personality wise he hits the ground running. I can’t wait to watch him descent into madness. As psychopaths go, he’s got nothing on Damian Wayne.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I managed to grab some second hand copies of the Knightfall graphic novels (in 3 volumes, each with a different DC logo!) and the event definitely starts better than it ends.
I see DC is now releasing something like a 16 volume run covering the build up to KnightFall, KnightFall, KnightQuest and KnightsEnd. If I had a great amount of money I would honestly be tempted to buy all volumes.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I keep on meaning to pick up the Knightfall collections, but then I keep putting them off and then when I feel like it's a good time, DC suddenly announces a new, somewhat more complete collection is coming out really soon, so I end up putting it off again and the cycle repeats.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve always known the major strokes, just never actually read the story. But at least for now I’m enthralled. I love how calculating Bane is, how broken down Batman is, and JPV is a dope rear end character.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve always known the major strokes, just never actually read the story. But at least for now I’m enthralled. I love how calculating Bane is, how broken down Batman is, and JPV is a dope rear end character.

Curious if you have ever read Sword of Azrael where JPV is first introduced?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Madkal posted:

Curious if you have ever read Sword of Azrael where JPV is first introduced?

I don’t think so. I’ve known about Azrael for a awhile but have read relatively little regarding him. Is that worth tracking down?

Also, how is the storyline Final Crisis? I’m more a Batman fan than a Justice League fan or whatever, but I’ve heard it’s good and necessary to understand the back half of Morrison’s run.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I quite liked Final Crisis, though I felt it took me a couple reads to really get a grasp on it. Its Batman element is fairly small, but important (confession, I haven't read Morrison's Batman run past Batman and Son, barring the couple of direct tie-ins in the Final Crisis collection, so if there's a catch-up page later in the Morrison Batman trades I'm unaware of it).

I really liked Sword of Azrael, I think it's worth tracking down, especially if you're reading Knightfall. A couple years ago DC put out a trade that contained Sword of Azrael and the first seven issues of the post-Knightfall Azrael series, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find, I suspect.

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 13, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Batman's part in Final Crisis is small in terms of page count and huge in terms of impact, both for FC and for Morrison's run.

catlord posted:

if there's a catch-up page later in the Morrison Batman trades I'm unaware of it).

Not directly but #701 and #702 are the events before and during Final Crisis from Batman's point of view.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Final Crisis is amazing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I recently did a reread of Morrison's Batman run and I actually thought the ending was better than I remember it (when I first read it it seemed to be Morrison saying Batman is useless and a little boys fantasy) but the whole thing was pretty good. I did notice that GMo likes to drop info in very casually that you can sometimes miss it if you aren't paying too much attention.
Overall I didn't re-read Final Crisis when doing the Batman read but there was two Batman issues that tell you all you need to know about Final Crisis in regards to Batman.
Seeing that I have so much free time I am trying to re-read my floppies and I think the next big run I will tackle will be Snyders/Cappulo's Batman run.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I don’t think so. I’ve known about Azrael for a awhile but have read relatively little regarding him. Is that worth tracking down?

Also, how is the storyline Final Crisis? I’m more a Batman fan than a Justice League fan or whatever, but I’ve heard it’s good and necessary to understand the back half of Morrison’s run.

It’s good, but you can skip it if you really wanted to.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there a graphic novel or trade paperback that details how Dick became Nightwing and/or the hiring of Jason Todd?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Not sure about Nightwing, but for Jason I believe the collection Second Chances has his first appearance. Not sure when this was, originally Jason was less edgy (I call the two phases "When he's Dick and when he's a dick"). Also not sure how easy it is to track down.

Edit: I guess that's his first post-Crisis appearance. Not sure about pre-Crisis.

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 14, 2020

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Dick became Nightwing at the start of The Judas Contract. For the whole arc that leads there you basically have the first three years of New Teen Titans.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OMG. They brought him back.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xelkelvos posted:

I’m not super up into the obscure poo poo, but did Don Johnson really have his own comic?

Also, regarding the Arkham games: I prefer Troy Baker’s Joker to Hamill’s. I recognize that Hamill is the iconic Joker but I didn’t watch very much of BTAS when I was a kid. Which sucks because I was 10 years old, the perfect age to have enjoyed it when it came out. But Troy does enough of Hamill in his Joker to satisfy, but also sounds much more threatening, imo. I’m assuming I’m alone on that take?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Snowflame is a supervillain from the 1980s New Guardians series. He gets his powers from cocaine.

https://twitter.com/SnowflameNews

Snowflame News really dropping the ball here.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I’m not super up into the obscure poo poo, but did Don Johnson really have his own comic?

Snowflame. A cocaine powered and addicted Supervillain from the 80s. When he gets high, he gets actual superpowers (as opposed to thinking he has them). He only appeared for two issues but his legacy as one of the more ridiculous supervillains lives on. The series he appeared in was part of the perpetual attempts at hamfisted trying to keep up with the times and addressing modern issues.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Snowflame is pretty much 80's the villain.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xelkelvos posted:

I want to see Linkara's face when he heard the news. I'm pretty sure his New Guardians review is what got people on the Snowflame Train.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever been more excited for a comic

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Too bad DC doesn't have editors to have caught that "chauffeur" misspelling.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xelkelvos posted:

Snowflame. A cocaine powered and addicted Supervillain from the 80s. When he gets high, he gets actual superpowers (as opposed to thinking he has them).

Ok, that’s loving amazing! I might check him out!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
And of course, this little arc is taking place on Isla Nevada. Nevada means "snow covered" in Spanish. They're at least letting Catwoman have some fun in her solo book which is greatly appreciated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

. But Troy does enough of Hamill in his Joker to satisfy, but also sounds much more threatening, imo. I’m assuming I’m alone on that take?

You're probably alone, but if you don't have nostalgia for BTAS that makes a certain amount of sense, the Arkham games are way edgier and darker than the cartoons so a more threatening Joker could fit better.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

And of course, this little arc is taking place on Isla Nevada. Nevada means "snow covered" in Spanish. They're at least letting Catwoman have some fun in her solo book which is greatly appreciated.

I think I've even seen a cover where she's in her Batman The Animated Series costume.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I really wanted to enjoy the new Catwoman and I thought it started strong but the ending of the first arc just felt weak and I fell off the book shortly after that. Is it worth picking up again?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

I really wanted to enjoy the new Catwoman and I thought it started strong but the ending of the first arc just felt weak and I fell off the book shortly after that. Is it worth picking up again?

The most recent issue is the start of the new arc with a new writer. Agreed that the last arc dragged a bit too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is King’s 100 issue run if Batman done, and was it any good? I have all 10 volumes of the New 52 poo poo and enjoyed pretty much all of it, and would like to continue along the storyline with Rebirth. But the mixed reactions in this thread and my backlog of unread classics makes me hesitant.