Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pioneer42 posted:

Edit: Here's the one I'm talking about. Eraser cap is optional.

Jesus, that takes me back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Pencil chat made me check to see if Pentel ever started making the SideFX again and of course they didn't.

I have two left and I will be inconsolable when they finally die.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Pioneer42 posted:

The Kerry is more than just comedy. It's a great pocket pencil that isn't conspicuous away from the drafting desk. When capped its short enough to fit nicely in a pocket, and when posted it is just right if you prefer shorter writing utensils with lower cg. It also has the same eraser as the Graphgears.

The Kerry is a fine pencil; it was just a poor attempt at a 'fountain pen thread recommending the most fountain pen looking pencil' joke.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Welp after getting into the Pen Addict podcast I just ordered my first new pen in like 4 years. Never had a sailor, and after deep diving on their pro gear slims, and looking everywhere just snagged one of my favorite colors, (their four season line, I grabbed the spring one) from amazon for only a $100 instead of $180. Pretty stoked when it comes in on Friday. If I don't like how it feels in the hand it's a free return. if I do like it, their new galaxy limited addition pen the blue drawf will be had sooner rather than later.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pioneer42 posted:

Edit: Here's the one I'm talking about. Eraser cap is optional.

That's the kind of sleek design I like in a pencil. Big erasers are key. I also really dislike the grips on most pencils.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I like my Rotring 800 since it avoids all the little frustrations I've found with mechanical pencils.
  • Retractable tip so you're not poking things/yourself with it
  • Can retract without having to re-advance the lead when you go to use it again
  • Eraser is in its own sleeve, so you don't have to mutilate a worn-down eraser to get at the lead
  • When retracted, you can apply pressure with the eraser without advancing the lead

Plus it just feels like a heavy-duty tool, which I find more aesthetically pleasing. The Uni Kuru Toga's automatic rotating mechanism is cool, but the pencil itself doesn't feel like anything special to me.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Jesus, that takes me back.

Heath posted:

That's the kind of sleek design I like in a pencil. Big erasers are key. I also really dislike the grips on most pencils.

I forgot to mention that the PD345 is so slim and streamlined, which is the opposite of most modern pencils that go for thickness, knurling, or large breaks, so it slides in a sleeve or pocket easily. Also bonus points for having a strong, all-metal clip. It just hits all the checkboxes.

My first was a gift in middle school, and I used it exclusively through grade school, high school, and engineering school, before retiring it for special occasions. Decades later, I've moved more towards pens and flings with other unique pencils, but I always keep a few original QCs in a protected place (like, in the box I grab if a tornado is coming). It's going to be a sad day when the supply dries up.

Chip McFuck posted:

The Kerry is a fine pencil; it was just a poor attempt at a 'fountain pen thread recommending the most fountain pen looking pencil' joke.

Oh yeah, you're right. Flew right past me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had a Mars Micro for a while in middle school that I quite liked, but I can't remember how good a pencil it was.

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
I’m an artist so I really adore lead holders but TBH when it comes to a comfy mechanical pencil I’m a fan of the kuru toga pencils, specifically the line with the gel grip. It’s plush and so easy to write with for long periods of time. I feel like the Japanese market models are much better than the versions released in the US because the pencils have a better weight to them.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

anyone want to join a group buy effort for the Sailor cocktail collection coming out in October? You have to buy the whole set for like two grand. I just want the 2018 tequila sunrise. Lol, I know it's a long shot just thought I'd throw that out there.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I'd be in on that for the Picadilly Night pen alone. Sailor is really on point with the special editions and collaborations. I've been lusting after the white carrot and onion pens from the vegetable series they did a few years ago.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

e: I was really into the look of the White Russian one but that is a SMALL little baby pen

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 16, 2020

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Zenostein posted:

Talking about converters or noodlers is the fountain pen equivalent of politics and religion. People have opinions.

Wouldn't that just be like, a piece of chalk?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Buncha fuckin' weirdos

*goes back to eBay looking for more Deltas*

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/GouletPens/status/1283838152159956993

Way too expensive ($110) but dang if it doesn't look good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The price really isn't out of line for a machined acrylic pen, especially from a small manufacturer.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If the nib's worth a poo poo that's not bad. Not to my tastes but not bad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pictured here: A piece of crap

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

grack posted:

Pictured here: A piece of crap

poo poo, it is that one of the newer-production Duofolds? Been in love with them for a while, but they are way out of my possibilities. What's wrong with it?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jiru posted:

poo poo, it is that one of the newer-production Duofolds? Been in love with them for a while, but they are way out of my possibilities. What's wrong with it?

Look more closely at the refle They forgot to turn on th... no, I can't do it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jiru posted:

Yeah, it's a modern, International size Duofold. The nib was scratchy and the tine alignment was poor, but the biggest issue is that the tipping was ground unevenly. It was so uneven, in fact, that the pen straight up wouldn't write unless you applied pressure. I ended up having to grind one side of the tipping down before it was usable. Pretty pathetic for a pen that retails in the ~$300US range.

I've probably tuned/adjust 400+ pens over the last 5 years and this is only the second time I've ever seen a nib with tipping this bad.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

grack posted:

Yeah, it's a modern, International size Duofold. The nib was scratchy and the tine alignment was poor, but the biggest issue is that the tipping was ground unevenly. It was so uneven, in fact, that the pen straight up wouldn't write unless you applied pressure. I ended up having to grind one side of the tipping down before it was usable. Pretty pathetic for a pen that retails in the ~$300US range.

I've probably tuned/adjust 400+ pens over the last 5 years and this is only the second time I've ever seen a nib with tipping this bad.

Oh, drat, that's unquestionably bad QC there. Pretty disappointing for what is supposed to be the "jewel" of modern Parkers. If I expent that much on a pen just to find an unusable nib, it'd probably sour me on them forever. At least it sounds like you did a good job fixing it, but man... that's rough.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

well, that's parker.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You're not supposed to use modern parkers you're just supposed to buy them for a parent who got a promotion at the office or if someone becomes a lawyer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

grack posted:

If I paid a few hundo (or even one thereof) for a pen that was poo poo, I'd you know return it? I've seen a great many youtubes about pens where they're all "oh if your nib does this you need to do this" and I'm all "NO YOU loving BUCKET YOU DON'T DO poo poo YOU MAKE THE SELLER DO IT" but I guess that's just me :shrug:

I bought some nibs from Aliexpress for 0,43€ a piece and they worked fine.

e: Actually I guess most of the youtubes are by the con men selling pens, like that Goulart fellow.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 19, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If I paid a few hundo (or even one thereof) for a pen that was poo poo, I'd you know return it?

I am undecided on the matter. TBH, now that the pen writes well I could probably sell it and make a decent profit.

It is kind of a pretty pen, though

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Can't speak for Grack on this matter, but the secondhand pen market in general is sometimes a crapshoot. Reputable sellers and websites aside, it is depressingly common to find that all the person at the other end of the transaction knows about a pen is "It is a pen". Sometimes stuff is sold untried or even unwashed. Sure, most people are not actively malicious and if you raise a ruckus they'll probably return your money, but if you got it for a good enough price and are good at fixing the issues that may arise (as Grack clearly is) it may not even be worth the effort to file a dispute. At the end you get an attractive pen that writes just as you like. And, as he said, you can also try to get some profit from the sale of a working, clean, tuned-up pen.

Also, I had heard about modern Parker being poo poo, but I had not expected they were so to that extent. It's a shame, they still make some pretty pens. Older Parkers tend to be workhorses in my experience: I have had a 45 write with half a missing tine, and a 21 with the feed cracked in two and glued and half the teeth missing which also wrote perfectly, and those were the "don't even fix them, if they break throw them away" pens.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I bought it on sale from Amazon, so returns aren't an issue.

grack fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 20, 2020

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

grack posted:

I am undecided on the matter. TBH, now that the pen writes well I could probably sell it and make a decent profit.

Ivory body and black finials is probably my favorite pen color combination. Looks so classy.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

grack posted:

that is, indeed, handsome as heck

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I have Noodler's Heart of Darkness, but it came in this bottle with a dropper. I know it's meant for those "eye dropper pens" that Noodler's makes, and right now when it's full it's okay to refill a twist-converter pen in, but what do I do when it's not filled to the top? Is there another container I can put the ink in?

Alternatively, are there cartridges that fit Pilot pens that I could use a syringe to add ink to instead of the messy way?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's probably gonna be a while before you need to worry about a bottle like that being too low to fill from but since it already has the eyedropper attached you could easily transfer some to a sample vial to fill from. There are also little plastic things you can buy that help fill from low bottles.

Pilot does sell cartridges. You can buy a pack for like 4 bucks and just reuse as needed. Pilot pens also tend to come with a single cartridge so you may have one somewhere

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 22, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sankis posted:

It's probably gonna be a while before you need to worry about a bottle like that being too low to fill from but since it already has the eyedropper attached you could easily transfer some to a sample vial to fill from. There are also little plastic things you can buy that help fill from low bottles.

Pilot does sell cartridges. You can buy a pack for like 4 bucks and just reuse as needed. Pilot pens also tend to come with a single cartridge so you may have one somewhere

I didn't think of the sample vial, I even have that same ink in a sample so that's perfect. I also have some Pilot cartridges, can I just refill those with a syringe indefinitely?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I imagine they will start to break down at some point but for all intents and purposes it's probably pretty close to indefinitely, so yeah. Just refill the pilot cartridges.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It takes a good long time for a cart to wear out. Just check it for cracks before fills.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Make sure you're using the dropper to clean it. They do not last long if you're squeezing them in the process.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I bought another Delta

Thank god, that was a scary month of not buying a Delta

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Looking for a new pen. Currently only have 1 fountain pen, a Lamy Safari. Finding it a bit bulky and feels a bit awkward to use. Any recommendations for something that may better serve me? Don't want to spend too much money but recommend a range please.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
(taps the thread title)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Theres a lot of good options put there for around the same amount or cheaper as a Safari. Pilot Metropolitan, Platinum Plaisir or Prefounte, and TWSBI Go are all good choices. Kaweco Classic Sport is also a good option if you want something smaller.