Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The door leads to a bond-esque submarine moonpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the door leads to a room where he shows you why they call him "big" willy

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That door's where the mermaid lives

She's the Harvest Goddess equivalent of the SV 'verse

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

That's where Willy's spouse lives, his spouse is whoever you just divorced in the game, and switches each time you divorce

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Khanstant posted:

Why does this look so janky and cheap? Obviously not much to go on in this trailer alone, but that two seconds of crop-management footage already looked like it would be annoying to physically control and do. I'm not sure any of the official Harvest Moon or SoS people can be trusted to make the kinds of games they were once known for. Reminds me of this time I got a job at "Xerox" and assumed the job would be relevant to copiers or something but when I got there we were calling people about insurance adjustments for some healthcare insurance company and the only copier I saw in that building wasn't a xerox.
Isn't it a port of an old game?

the only harvest moon game I've ever played was the one for the original game boy, but that was pretty fun.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't it a port of an old game?

the only harvest moon game I've ever played was the one for the original game boy, but that was pretty fun.

yeah the new SoS: FoMT is a remake of the gba one (which back then was published or translated (IIRC) by Natsume)!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Friends of Mineral Town/More Friends Of Mineral Town on GBA is itself a remake of the PS1 Harvest Moon: Back To Nature. So the Switch game is a remake of a remake.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I couldn't find a specific thread about it, but I definitely remember it being talked about here when it was going around Kickstarter etc: Did anyone else get Summer in Mara?

I did and it is one of the biggest regret-buy games I've ever had. I feel like that game was so over-hyped and over-promised, it's awful and I hate that I paid actual money for it. Ugh. The "rich story" they promised is a railroaded, lateral narrative that forces you to do quests in one order, and dumps you directly into cutscenes and events with no warning (for example, you're talking to a pirate and out of nowhere he demands you race, it dumps you into the race and you have to participate but the whole thing is on a closed track and you can't lose, so all you get to do is press the forward button and... you win?) Almost every NPC in the game is a static figure, there's no change from day to day, and it's just... ugh. Awful. Awful awful awful.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Not sure if there's a Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons thread, but that remake of Friends of Mineral Town is out tomorrow! Kinda interested to jump back into it, after all the quality of life changes Stardew introduced.

I know they've completely rehauled the UI and several systems, so it ought to be a really good throwback!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Fancy Hat! posted:

Not sure if there's a Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons thread, but that remake of Friends of Mineral Town is out tomorrow! Kinda interested to jump back into it, after all the quality of life changes Stardew introduced.

I know they've completely rehauled the UI and several systems, so it ought to be a really good throwback!

I can't believe they want $50 for a 17 year old game. If it was priced like Stardew Valley, I'd probably get it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

LLSix posted:

I can't believe they want $50 for a 17 year old game. If it was priced like Stardew Valley, I'd probably get it.

Yeah, I'll get it if it ever goes on sale

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

LLSix posted:

To be fair it's two 17 year old games in one package.
(Real talk though since it is coming to Steam I assume it'll be pretty cheap, eventually)
(Maybe modders will be able to fix the atrocious sound design too)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 13, 2020

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Have any goons delved into modding Stardew Valley to any degree? I had the idea of adding an outhouse to the list of buildings that you can order from Robin, which would allow the turning of poop to fertilizer. However, what I've read so far gives me the impression that adding a constructable building is not possible at the moment. Can anyone confirm that? I could make it a static part of a map I guess, but it just takes away some of the joy of having an outhouse if you can't choose the location yourself.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

does it specifically have to be human poo poo, in order to scratch your particular itch? presumably you could make animals drop manure and put it into a new processing machine that you mod in

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

does it specifically have to be human poo poo, in order to scratch your particular itch? presumably you could make animals drop manure and put it into a new processing machine that you mod in

Well, I guess it could be manure, but I'm not sure if the Manure Processer 3000 has quite the same rustic charm as a wooden outhouse.

I guess I could just make it a craftable item instead of one you need to have Robin build. Then you could use it once a day for a daily dose of fertilizer.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Fancy Hat! posted:

I’m just thrilled I can finally be the lesbian farmer I’ve dreamt of since I was 10 and marry Karen.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TurnipFritter posted:

To be fair it's two 17 year old games in one package.
(Real talk though since it is coming to Steam I assume it'll be pretty cheap, eventually)
(Maybe modders will be able to fix the atrocious sound design too)

Two? I skipped over that generation of HM games. Which two?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

LLSix posted:

Two? I skipped over that generation of HM games. Which two?

You can be a girl or a boy, right?

That means it is both Friends of Mineral Town and More Friend of Mineral Town because this was still back when they made separate games for a male playable character and a female playable character except you had to wait a year and a half to be a girl.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Does the tractor mod come with its own building, or does it replace the stable?

If you are going to build an outhouse, you could tie it into the amount of food one ate the day before. So if you chugged down 21 sashimi plates while in the mines, you're stuck wasting time the next day sitting on the can.

Also, be sure to include at least ONE stardew character that grants you hearts from gifting them your own poop.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Haley already has a portrait for it, just saying.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

“Oh my god, this is my favorite thing!!”

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Guigui posted:

Does the tractor mod come with its own building, or does it replace the stable?

If you are going to build an outhouse, you could tie it into the amount of food one ate the day before. So if you chugged down 21 sashimi plates while in the mines, you're stuck wasting time the next day sitting on the can.

Also, be sure to include at least ONE stardew character that grants you hearts from gifting them your own poop.

Putting in my vote for Gus

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Can you convert an existing SP farm to MP, or does a MP farm have to start as MP from the get-go?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Poque posted:

Can you convert an existing SP farm to MP, or does a MP farm have to start as MP from the get-go?
Converting a singleplayer world into multiplayer
A singleplayer world can be converted into a multiplayer world by building enough cabins for prospective farmhands on The Farm in singleplayer mode, saving the game and exiting to the main menu, then opening the save file via "Co-op" instead of "Load".

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Great, thank you!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I just got this game, it's neat and seems like it will be great to play during lockdown when I have nothing to do in my home office

Is there anything I can do in the early game (I just started Summer) to speed up my earning? Right now I'm doing beans and planning to get quality sprinklers going on them so I don't have to worry about them and try to snowball more and more beans into a huge cash crop and just buy everything else I need straight up.

Also holy poo poo the community center restoration seems like it will take like 200 loving hours of playtime to complete what the hell

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

AHH F/UGH posted:

I just got this game, it's neat and seems like it will be great to play during lockdown when I have nothing to do in my home office

Is there anything I can do in the early game (I just started Summer) to speed up my earning? Right now I'm doing beans and planning to get quality sprinklers going on them so I don't have to worry about them and try to snowball more and more beans into a huge cash crop and just buy everything else I need straight up.

Also holy poo poo the community center restoration seems like it will take like 200 loving hours of playtime to complete what the hell

Remember how you feel in this moment. Cherish it. Don't worry about poo poo bro, just do what feels good. And welcome to the game, it's great.

But if you want wanna talk about maximizing earnings, looks back through this thread. Coolguye posted a lot about his hops spam. You probably want to get your farming up super fast and your foraging quickly enough to get double berries during the free berry season. Money comes from selling mine loot and mass quantities of stuff that can go on kegs. Get an upgraded watering can when it rains or between seasons.

If you're really interested in cracking the money system, check out the crops wiki page for relative profits, but this is the spoiler rabbit hole and you should probably just play for a bit before wikiing, but you do you.
https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Crops

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Well beans only grow in spring, so you might have to rethink that part of your plan.

If you're dead set on making money fast, you should check the wiki; it's got a table that tells you the yield-per-day of every crop in the game. (The short version is that blueberries are the kings of summer). If you want to automate your watering system, you'll need to spend a fair bit of time in the mines. At the end of the day, some things can't really be sped up, and you should spend your excess time trying out different things: fishing, learning the map, getting to the bottom of the mines, figuring out what to get people for their birthdays.

The community center is doable by the end of year 2 with a light amount of planning. Honestly, when it comes to things like catching all the required fish, you should just check the wiki, because some of them only appear in very precise circumstances, and their appearance rates are still so rare that it's easy to miss them then.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Fishing can be nice as well. You can make some okay money doing it, and while it's not going to be as good as a full farming operation, it's relaxing once you get the hang of it. Fish are also required to complete some of the bundles. I would absolutely 100% recommend looking up where and how to catch certain fish (there are combinations of location, weather, and season), and do keep in mind that fishing starts out quite difficult and gets significantly easier once your in-game skill level increases.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

Fishing can be nice as well. You can make some okay money doing it, and while it's not going to be as good as a full farming operation, it's relaxing once you get the hang of it. Fish are also required to complete some of the bundles. I would absolutely 100% recommend looking up where and how to catch certain fish (there are combinations of location, weather, and season), and do keep in mind that fishing starts out quite difficult and gets significantly easier once your in-game skill level increases.

Don't trust this man.

I kid...a little. You gotta do a little fishing for the center and if you want crab pots for sashimi, but the money is bad after week 1 and imo it's a boring mini game to spend your initial game time with when you could be learning how to run the mines or something.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My experience so far has been just to let the game happen as well, but I did pick up a bunch of blueberries.

I’m going after Haley because she seems like cheesecake.

Those loving cave flies when the green smog happens in the mine, what the hell is that poo poo Jesus Christ

All in all it’s great, basically the Harvest Moon game I always imagined making in my head when I was a middle schooler.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Try and focus on getting your relationship up with Linus early on as well. It's not too tricky, and at three hearts he'll send you a recipe which makes gifting for other people much easier.

But as others have said, just chill out and enjoy it and do whatever you want. There's not really a right or wrong way to play Stardew.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

My experience so far has been just to let the game happen as well, but I did pick up a bunch of blueberries.

I’m going after Haley because she seems like cheesecake.

Those loving cave flies when the green smog happens in the mine, what the hell is that poo poo Jesus Christ

All in all it’s great, basically the Harvest Moon game I always imagined making in my head when I was a middle schooler.

Those guys are totally dicks. You can sometimes block more than one or do some clever weapon swapping tricks, but it's usually best to just gtfo and generally run the floors faster. Consider keeping a stack of stone on you for emergency exits, once you can spare it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

webmeister posted:

There's not really a right or wrong way to play Stardew.

Counter point: jojamart is the wrong way. I can't bring myself to play a game when I go that route, it's weird.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

cakesmith handyman posted:

Counter point: jojamart is the wrong way. I can't bring myself to play a game when I go that route, it's weird.

It's super odd. It's definitely faster but it feels so wrong.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Yes it is so terrible that Joja employs Shane, Alex, Morris and the nameless cashier lady, none of whom will be hired by Pierre if Joja is driven out of town. Joja also turns the derelict community center into even more employment. I bet those idiots at Joja would fix the bus with money by like hiring a mechanic, instead of relying on the magic of forest sprites.

I still do the community center instead but one of the few aspects of this game I don't think ConcernedApe thought through all the way is that Joja's actually fine.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ILL Machina posted:

Don't trust this man.

I kid...a little. You gotta do a little fishing for the center and if you want crab pots for sashimi, but the money is bad after week 1 and imo it's a boring mini game to spend your initial game time with when you could be learning how to run the mines or something.

Eh, I enjoy it early game, and the money is okay early on, as it isn't really tied to your farm at all, just your fishing skill and rod. The treasures you can fish up can be a big help in the early game too.

If I were speedrunning, I would absolutely avoid fishing like the plague, but I would also be going down the Joja route anyway, and thus not need the fish for the bundles. As it is though, the game is a chill farming simulator with no real time constraints, so spending some of the early game fishing (when the money/resources are most relevant, and the time pressure least relevant) is something that I enjoy doing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fancy Hat! posted:

It's okay but they've kinda gone back on a lot of the better stuff introduced in SoS 3DS to keep to FoMT's original design.

And they've kept some of the silly things like the Valentine's festival happening in spring 1 but creating a situation where you can't actually do anything during it.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

It's okay but they've kinda gone back on a lot of the better stuff introduced in SoS 3DS to keep to FoMT's original design.

And they've kept some of the silly things like the Valentine's festival happening in spring 1 but creating a situation where you can't actually do anything during it.

Yeah FoMT is alright but personally it just lacked way too much content. Barely any dialogue differences, there's not a lot of depth and a lot of it is still hidden behind ridiculous requirements. It's fine for a gameboy game but you are way better off with Stardew, Rune Factory, or Trio of Towns. Especially for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Wow blueberries really are a huge payday, and they don't go away once they're grown. The hard part about getting the greenhouse from the community center (which I plan to stick trees in with sprinklers) is that some of those items seem extremely hard to get, especially the animal products since the initial investment is so big to produce all of the different goods, and the 5x gold star crops. Surely there has to be an easier way than the travelling store, right?

Since I'm an extremely goony rear end min-maxer, I often find myself saving everything I possibly can so that I can use it later if need be, even if it might be only valuable through selling and has no other real purpose. Is there any disadvantage to donating things to the museum? I'd hate to give the museum something that I need for a quest or recipe later.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 20, 2020