Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maigius posted:

What happened at the '98 Survivor series?

My first reaction to this was "how do you not know what happened at the 1998 Survivor Series? Come on!" and then I realized it would be like if someone in 1998 asked what happened in a Bruno Sammartino match from 1976.

That was a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Maigius posted:

What happened at the '98 Survivor series?

Was that Deadly Game? From what I recall, the matches were dogshit but it told a coherent story over the evening that ended with the swerve of the tournament being rigged for The Rock instead of Mankind. Rock had been tweener/face and this turned him mega-heel. Also when Mankind started wearing a shirt (he began the evening in a tux)

edit: beaten:

Timby posted:

That was the Deadly Game tournament for the vacant title; the title had been vacated by Vince following the Judgment Day PPV. The storyline going in was that the McMahons were goosing it for Mankind and doing everything to waylay The Rock; in the semifinal match between Mankind and Austin, Shane was the special guest referee. Austin had Mankind pinned cleanly but Shane stopped the count at two and flipped off Austin, allowing Mankind to get the win.

In the finals match between Rock and Mankind, Rock put Mankind into a sharpshooter and Vince called for the bell (in the first of what would be many rehashes of the Montreal Screwjob over the years).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Timby posted:

That was the Deadly Game tournament for the vacant title; the title had been vacated by Vince following the Judgment Day PPV. The storyline going in was that the McMahons were goosing it for Mankind and doing everything to waylay The Rock; in the semifinal match between Mankind and Austin, Shane was the special guest referee. Austin had Mankind pinned cleanly but Shane stopped the count at two and flipped off Austin, allowing Mankind to get the win.

In the finals match between Rock and Mankind, Rock put Mankind into a sharpshooter and Vince called for the bell (in the first of what would be many rehashes of the Montreal Screwjob over the years).

If you're talking WWF, that was the first, but WCW did it at Starrcade '97 one month after Montreal.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Timby posted:

When I thing Russo bullshit I think Montreal Screwjob rehashes, pointless swerves, and tournaments with issues. This all fits.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

People usually include Wrestlemania 16 (2000!) because there were no singles matches and the main event was diluted and convoluted from what it clearly should have been. Oh, plus all four loving McMahons.

man WM2000 is so much worse in hindsight compared to pretty much every other ppv that year

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Working Hulk Hogan into a shoot was peak Russo

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think my peak Russo moment across all promotions is that time when Tony Schiavone showed up on an early TNA show, now a heel as denoted by his new Hawaiian shirt and beard. He called Paul Bearer fat, then had a long horrible segment with Mike Tenay, arguing over who was to blame for WCW's demise. Russo himself eventually came out and announced Tony as one of "his guys" or whatever, and they both left. I'm not sure if Tony was ever seen again after this.

The highlights are two signs in the crowd, one reading "The non-stop action has officially stopped" and the other reading "No one cares".

This was also around the same time where he thought it would be great heat bro if he and his literal Nazi friends came out and beat up a woman for a few minutes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh, that Athena segment

loving vile

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of Russo, i'm listening to the 2013/2014 Bryan and Vinny shows, and Chico calls Russo's return almost instantly, since the shows go from pretty decent to poo poo like instantly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

Ugh, that Athena segment

loving vile

It's remarkable how terrible and offensive and uncomfortable that segment is considering how loving awful wrestling is in general. Especially when you realize that you're supposed to be cheering the loving neo-Nazis beating the poo poo out of a woman trying to stand up for herself.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's amazing how loyal they were to Russo, when he never did poo poo for the ratings, and them bringing him (and lying about it) directly led to losing their Spike deal

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

cargo cult booking

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

For some reason, even as a kid who watched every PPV, I don't think I watched Survivor Series 98. Maybe I did and I just don't remember. I knew about the results then, at least, and knew I was annoyed with how it all turned out but I really have no memory of ever watching it.

Alternatively, maybe I'm just old.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's remarkable how terrible and offensive and uncomfortable that segment is considering how loving awful wrestling is in general. Especially when you realize that you're supposed to be cheering the loving neo-Nazis beating the poo poo out of a woman trying to stand up for herself.

I don't think you were supposed to be rooting for the Harris Brothers Not that that in any way justifies employing Nazis who like openly advertised it and even writing stories and segments that directly had them saying "I won't team with one of them" and "you're one of the good ones."

Its been forever though so maybe I'm misremembering it. But Athena was pretty consistently a sympathetic character and Russo and the Harris' heels from what I recall.

Its possible you're confusing it with the time TNA booked Road Dogg and Billy Gunn as faces against Christy Hemme who was a heel because she thought women should be free to wrestle and the facestold her to get on her knees where she belongs.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 14, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think you were supposed to be rooting for the Harris Brothers Not that that in any way justifies employing Nazis who like openly advertised it and even writing stories and segments that directly had them saying "I won't team with one of them" and "you're one of the good ones."

Its been forever though so maybe I'm misremembering it. But Athena was pretty consistently a sympathetic character and Russo and the Harris' heels from what I recall.

Its possible you're confusing it with the time TNA booked Road Dogg and Billy Gunn as faces against Christy Hemme who was a heel because she thought women should be free to wrestle and the facestold her to get on her knees where she belongs.

Was that when the James Gang had an entrance theme that was basically a home invasion possibly including rape?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Was that when the James Gang had an entrance theme that was basically a home invasion possibly including rape?

Yes. Yes it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMZ2NhVB4tU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

never fail to be disappointed by this bullshit

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

STAC Goat posted:

"Let me tell you something you little slut!" (crowd cheers)

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Luthor was in TNA?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

"Let me tell you something you little slut!" (crowd cheers)

Exactly

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Del Rio is the Rumble winner that made WM as the challenger that did the least with it. At least Rey WON his match that ended just as it started getting good. Del Rio won a 40 man Rumble and was overshadowed at the end by comedy act Santino, then proceeded to be treated like an absolute clown leading up to WM, including being beaten clean by Christian on Smackdown. Everyone said "No, you don't understand! This is so he has a challenger after he wins!"

So anyway his match opened the show, he lost, then Edge retired the next night.

Now in hindsight maybe it's for the best because Del Rio is such a piece of poo poo and I love Edge and Christian. But it was maddening at the time to see a potential new star wasted yet again.

Procrastinator posted:

man WM2000 is so much worse in hindsight compared to pretty much every other ppv that year

I'd take that show over KOTR and most of the fall/winter shows.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nut Bunnies posted:

But it was maddening at the time to see a potential new star wasted yet again.

They did pretty much the same thing over and over with everybody they "wanted" to be a main eventer during that time period, then would bitch about nobody getting themselves over.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They might have even been able to just go "well on that night Edge was the better man", but then they have E&C destroy his car in the post-match and it's like "but why?"

And also having it be the opener. "Win the biggest Royal Rumble ever!... to curtain jerk." They basically flushed a rocket push down the drain in one night.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somebody (not me) needs to write an effort post on all the guys they seemingly went out of their way to gently caress up during the past two decades.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

They did pretty much the same thing over and over with everybody they "wanted" to be a main eventer during that time period, then would bitch about nobody getting themselves over.

Del Rio was by far the highest profile one. Usually it was a guy like MVP getting some crumb of an angle to work with for 3 weeks, then going .500 or worse over the next 6 months. Del Rio was a guy the front office seemed determined to make a star (if anyone recalls when someone at WWE.com accidentally put internal notes saying "get this up ASAP they want this guy to be big" or something) and saw money in instead of some guy they called up from Deep South Wrestling or FCW. Instead of just see sawing with wins and losses they just decided to go pretty much go full on loss.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Del Rio was a big deal, fairly quick

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nut Bunnies posted:

Del Rio was by far the highest profile one. Usually it was a guy like MVP getting some crumb of an angle to work with for 3 weeks, then going .500 or worse over the next 6 months. Del Rio was a guy the front office seemed determined to make a star (if anyone recalls when someone at WWE.com accidentally put internal notes saying "get this up ASAP they want this guy to be big" or something) and saw money in instead of some guy they called up from Deep South Wrestling or FCW. Instead of just see sawing with wins and losses they just decided to go pretty much go full on loss.

Can't let 'em get a big head, they might start thinking they are stars. Beat them for six months to see if they really want it

*six months later, renewed push* Guy's not getting over, guess he doesn't have it

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Del Rio’s most memorable moment (imo) was running over Santa Claus and that says a lot about his career to me.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
The best thing about Del Rio was his music, don't @ me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3htgnT0lCho

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Flight Bisque posted:

The best thing about Del Rio was his music, don't @ me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3htgnT0lCho

can I @ you to say you’re right

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Who was the last masked person WWE brought in and actually pushed while letting them keep a mask?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Del Rio had that really fun match with Ziggler (of all people) where he as the face spends the entire time kicking the dogshit out of heel Ziggler to increasing boos. Then finally he stops, shoots this look to the crowd of "Ahaha, gently caress you people", kicks Ziggler in the head and wins

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Gaz-L posted:

Who was the last masked person WWE brought in and actually pushed while letting them keep a mask?

Patriot

Rey Mysterio

...I think that's it

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

People always talk about the worst King of the Ring winners, but what about the Royal Rumble? Is there a winner that did less than Nakamura a few years ago?

I had done an article on ranking all the Rumble winners from worst to best. They were measured by the story of them winning, their in-ring performance, the match ending and the aftermath.

Going by those metrics, Batista was the worst.

- Him winning only made sense to Vince as everyone agreed that this was Bryan's Rumble to win. Maybe Punk.

- Had zero cardio and was gassed despite his minimal amount of time active in the ring.

- Had WWE's second-most-desperate Rumble ending where everyone was cheering for any possibility that Batista wouldn't win. Even without that, winning by no-selling Roman's finisher was pretty lame.

- Went on to feud with Del Rio, be an afterthought as he lost at Wrestlemania, then lost the following two PPVs before retiring.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
We got Blue-tista though

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Also, the thing that pissed me off about Del Rio in the Rumble was that WWE, to their credit, figured out the perfect formula for heels winning the Rumble. Outside of Yokozuna straight-up monstering through the match to decisively win it, all the heel winners prior to 2011 had the same basic idea to them: last in the match for an impressive amount of time and then win through controversial means. It gives them the right balance of cheating and earning.

1992: Ric Flair enters at #3 and stays in there for an hour. Yet he wins because Hogan's a giant baby, so the whole thing feels unfair.

1995: Shawn Michaels is #1 and wins because of a technicality mixed with the sound guy jumping the gun. The technicality also makes him look like a badass.

1997: Steve Austin is #5 and is an absolute beast throughout the match. Even then, he only wins via cheating and the incompetence of the referees.

1999: Vince McMahon is #2. Despite not spending much time in the ring, he gets thrashed so badly by Austin that his ability to suddenly spring to life and eliminate him with help of distraction makes him look formidable enough.

2009: Randy Orton is #8 and spends nearly the entire thing up against Triple H. He still wins thanks to Legacy spitting in the face of "every man for himself."

So when it's Del Rio's time to shine in the then-biggest Rumble match, all he does is show up near the very end, get jumped by Orton, then doesn't actually do anything until it's time to eliminate Orton and Santino. It feels like a waste.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I agree with you about that being a time-tested story. With that said I think it'd be fine for Del Rio to come out near the end. He was after all a pampered rich guy. They could have just followed it up with 2 months of him looking like a force to be reckoned with. Have him destroy Christian, not lose clean to him. Have him injure someone with his armbar. We're not talking about reinventing the wheel here. Winning = people take you seriously!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wwe loves to have rumbles where one guy kicks a lot of rear end and eliminates lots of guys but always loses and the winner usually doesn’t do poo poo. In theory this should get two guys more over. In reality neither one gets over.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Del Rio had awesome facial expressions.

He was very good at looking smug and/or insulted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks Gavok!