Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Seth Rollins posted:

i think niennunb should post reviews in this thread

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

NienNunb posted:

Someday I wanna post a bunch of movie reviews like Seth Rollins Drew McEntrye and have everyone say "I'm proud of you NienNunb I love you" but what would more likely happen is that the trolls and the sycophants would throw rotten vegetables at me and a big vaudeville hook would pull me off stage. Cav would be manning the hook.

im proud of you niennunb i love you

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

stuff ive watched so far this week

the good the bad the ugly i watched it cause that guy died
millers crossing loved john tuturro and all the funny quips
first cow yeah whatever i like the woods and slow movies, liike letterboxd says, "Befriending the lyrical loneliness" :mrgw:
the prestige got too cute by the end but it was an easy watch
lucifer rising was fuckin tite thank you kenny anger
cecil b demented my first john waters and surely him at his most controlled (hairspray probably actually but i not seeon it) it was great and really stupid and unsubtle and dumb and i liked it
assault on precinct 13 alright thing pretty boring for lots of it loved the carpenter music tho
manhunter good hannibal thing, when i saw the tooth fairy i said thats me, when i saw brian cox i said thats me and when i saw will graham do a giant leap through glass just to get sliced up and judo thrown into a fridge and KO i said also "that is me"
the italian job 1969 boring british poo poo in michael caine voice "im michael caine most people dont know that"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love cecil b demented, haven't thought about that movie in years

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My last few films watched:

The Old Guard - I didn't like this :x "X-Men but with Charlize Theron and also they're all Wolverines" sounds like a good premise I love but then the sentence continued "also it looks like Michael Bay and Zack Snyder teamed up to decide it should look as bland and colorless as possible at all times, and it's two full hours long"
Palm Springs - delightful take on living one day over and over again, would make a good double feature with Happy Death Day
Relic - Most surprised I've been in a while by a horror film I never heard of being in development! Emily Mortimer and Bella Heathcote take care of family member Robyn Nevin as she's succumbing further and further to dementia in a house that seems to be successfully intentionally exacerbating that (while also exacerbating their paranoia). The more I think about it the more I love it, really well-done. And only 89 minutes with credits!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

McCabe and Mrs. Miller - as great as I always imagined it would be. Beatty owns, plays a lil' shitheel gambler in over his head real well. More movies should have no score, the big long tense scene in this is done so well because all you hear are footsteps, fire, gunshots, and falling snow.

Ad Astra - this was the second time I've seen this, first time was in theaters and it didn't blow me away. This time it actually hit me and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Emotionally mature in a way most movies aren't anymore. A visual feast. 2019 was Brad's year. Hard watch if you got dad problems but like, I bet if you can handle that it makes the movie even better.

Monterey Pop - watched the movie + both the Otis Redding and Jimi Hendrix solo movies. Love 60's poo poo, these checked every single mark for me. Loved loved loved these

Batman v Superman Ultimate Cut - I'm a Snyder guy now, I'm very sorry. Love fat dad Ben Affleck Batman. Almost no Marvel quips, which is a dream for me. This movie gets too bad of a rap

It Chapter 2 - I'm willing to put my money down and say this is the worst movie of the 2010s. Absolute dogshit. I made IBeforeE watch it too for our podcast because I knew their reaction would be funny. Someone called this "the marvelization of horror" and that is accurate to a degree but I'd actually argue that Marvel movie a have a base level of network tv artistry and competence that this doesn't even clear. Inexplicably terrible writing and editing. Homophobic, fatphobic, racist to at least three different races. poo poo on my shoe cinema.

My Own Private Idaho - a Movie about hangin with your boys getting paid to get brain, reciting Henry IV, feeling sad about your mom. Queer Film Essential Viewing. The campfire scene is *chef kiss*

Man of the West - CinemaScope theaters must have been the coolest poo poo in the world, bet this looked breathtaking on one of those big curvy boys. Clark Gable's best performance. If you like Red Dead 2 you'll love this. Probably the bleakest pre-Wild Bunch western. Lee J Cobb gives a god tier monologue in this

Bullitt - Was hootin and hollerin the entire big car chase. They don't make movie stars as cool as Steve McQueen anymore. It's pretty good.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Seth Rollins posted:

i think niennunb should post reviews in this thread

Paper Lion posted:

im proud of you niennunb i love you

<3 <3 <3

yea ok posted:

the italian job 1969 boring british poo poo in michael caine voice "im michael caine most people dont know that"

:argh::bang::blastu::black101:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I laughed a lot at it chapter 2, just almost never when they wanted me to.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

last movie i saw was god of cookery. best stephen chow movie. not enough people know about it. i probably made some stupid list of my favourite movies on here once. and i bet i forgot this one. stupid idiot. this ones a top 5. saw it as a kid on a bootleg tape in 97 and it was hugely influential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6oiWPRTZ4w

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Whenever anybody talks about a movie they've seen is my favorite kind of post here. More reviews

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Last three movies I watched

Back to the Future: Very Good
Back to the Future 2: Very Gooder
Back to the Future 3: Not as Good, but Still Fun

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hot BTTF takes:

-should have just been the first movie, diminishing returns each time
-two is the worst
-I like three a lot because it has cowboys and a big choo choo train
-I don't even really like 1 that much, maybe I shouldn't be giving BTTF takes. I just really like cowboy movies.

ah gently caress a lot of these tales contradict each other, ah poo poo

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

BTTF2 is 2 good ideas for two different movies that they didn't or couldn't flesh out all the way so they said gently caress it and stapled them together into one movie. I think the third one is better than people tend to think, but it has absolutely no reason to exist when the trilogy could have been BTTF2 of Marty in the future, end on the cliffhanger of Biff getting the almanac and then BTTF3 being them fixing it and dinking around in the timeline and having to dodge himself from the first movie and stuff.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I have this terrible relationship with Criterion Channel where I stress watch as many of the movies leaving the channel at the end of the month. It's the same experience as trying to finish a gallon of milk before it expires. Watching Aguirre The Wrath Of God now for that exact reason.

I pin my distaste of BTTF more on me just not liking post-Spielberg/Lucas Hollywood poo poo than any of the movies merits themselves. Like if Gates of Heaven and Apocalypse Now hadn't costed a billion dollars between them only to both tank, we probably would still have regularly produced good movies for grown ups. Instead we get sixteen Disney movies a year and a smattering of A24 horror dramas with varying degrees of quality.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Jaws was good imo

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Jaws was good but at what cost

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

idc about all that stuff really. there was just as much total trash in any time, and there's great crap that comes out every year.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I agree Speilberg basically ruined movies as an industry. I don't blame Lucas as much because he really did just make the movies he wanted to make, they happened to do so well that everyone wanted a piece of the action he was getting. But Speilberg himself was the one making those movies for those studios and driving that bus forward. Plus Jaws also stimulating things. So I blame him more.

I think there's lots of interesting movies for adults that still get made and aren't all stinky horror movies. We just see the big machine pushing all the crap constantly and the good movies don't get wide release. Many are foreign. Also many bad movies are pushed as good smart movies for adults. Like this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1PK4qYzNkI

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Yea there's still good movies, I shouldn't act like there isn't because there is. But it's different now. You put it a lot better than I did, because of all the rocks i have in my skull where a brain should be.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I miss going to the dang movie theater. my tv just ain’t the same

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

NienNunb posted:

It Chapter 2 - I'm willing to put my money down and say this is the worst movie of the 2010s. Absolute dogshit. I made IBeforeE watch it too for our podcast because I knew their reaction would be funny. Someone called this "the marvelization of horror" and that is accurate to a degree but I'd actually argue that Marvel movie a have a base level of network tv artistry and competence that this doesn't even clear. Inexplicably terrible writing and editing. Homophobic, fatphobic, racist to at least three different races. poo poo on my shoe cinema.

Even worse than Sucker Punch?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I have not seen Sucker Punch but if you will refer to my review post i am now rebranding myself as a Snyder Guy.

Except the Watchmen movie gently caress the Watchmen movie

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

snyder sucks but watchmen is better than stinky punch thats for dang sure

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Last three movies I watched

Back to the Future: Very Good
Back to the Future 2: Very Gooder
Back to the Future 3: Not as Good, but Still Fun

What the actual gently caress

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Everyone itt make a letterboxd especially you two, Seth rolllins and Peter Lion

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Seth has one he posted it somewhere. Fritz name

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Here's mine. I'm not great at updating it!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I feel like I've already posted mine here but just in case: https://letterboxd.com/tildeswinton/

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sucker Punch is loving horrible and you can not be a Snyder guy if you haven't seen that movie. There's a moment where an artist shows you their true nature. Sucker Punch is the full pants down. Its his Revenge of the Fallen. Except it's worse than ROTF.

And I didn't even hate Watchmen.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what are some movays from after 2008 to watch

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It says something when your best movie is a remake of Dawn of the Dead.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cavauro posted:

The Lure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJB5hctnxQQ

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

Seth has one he posted it somewhere. Fritz name

O yea that is him, I'm already following him

https://boxd.it/gVEF

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

https://youtu.be/OFZvnOTXxC4

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Holy Motors
Alita: Battle Angel
Nightcrawler
Night Is Short, Walk On Girl
Happy Go Lucky (from 2008, so may be slightly outside your parameters)

E: haven't updated this in a while, but it should fit your needs https://letterboxd.com/tildeswinton/list/best-of-the-decade-2010-2019/

I Before E fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 15, 2020

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Heres my letterboxd, please follow for bad, Dad level movie taste

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/bluedeanie

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I need to update this one a lot more often than I actually do but here's mine https://letterboxd.com/SweeneySwift/ I usually just rate stuff and the actual review goes on a different forum or discord. Here in this case from now on!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thanks for all the movie. i'm going to thumb through them and watch 1 within the next three months

https://youtu.be/9psdZJVpOTI

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

having problems with a lot of tears coming out of my eyes without crying. sorry if this is retribution for posts i've made. don't know what else to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So the county school board just voted that students don't have to wear masks in the classroom if they're more than six feet away from someone. A classroom. An enclosed space with air conditioning.

Oh, and teachers can be reprimanded if do anything to suggest students wear masks.

So now we have to make sure my wife's will is up to date since she's a high school teacher. I have to make sure my daughter has an N95 mask and trust that her fellow students AND their parents are being smart. And I have to keep my fingers crossed while a good friend deals with grade-schoolers. All because the school board is deciding to blindly follow CDC guidelines and not listen to the teachers themselves on this topic.

I've always been an optimist, but now I'm finally broken. gently caress this country.