Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Shoehead posted:

Card fried itself. Can't read anything off it any more. Now I dunno what to replace it with because apparently the internet is flooded with fake mircosds?

the chances of running into one are fairly low if you purchase a "sold by Amazon.com" Samsung or Sandisk SD card with good reviews; at that point, you're just at the mercy of general tech failure rates

if you come across a 512GB Samdisc SD for Galaxy 10/9/8/7/6/5/4/Nintendo Switch for the low price of $20, then that's not going to go anywhere good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Shoehead posted:

Card fried itself. Can't read anything off it any more. Now I dunno what to replace it with because apparently the internet is flooded with fake mircosds?

I had luck with Newegg when I upgraded mine.

https://www.newegg.com/sandisk-400g...ntent-_-text-_-

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i dont remember where i got this from probably google

Back during the WiiU era there were reports about Iwata and a bunch of other Nintendo executives cutting their salaries because of how bad that console was doing so they could avoid affecting their workers' pay and cutting them loose.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

See that's half the problem, you click on that and the default 'buy now' at least for me was a third party seller, not Newegg.

Make sure you select the option to buy from an actual major retail seller not some random re-seller on their sites and you should be ok.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

man nurse posted:

The game is playable but this isn’t people being snobbish, the performance is out of this world bad. Like, really low frame rates with hitches and stuttering and crashes.

thanks, crashing is a pretty big issue if it happens even a few times so i guess i'll probably wait for a patch or a big discount sale.

Andrast posted:

You have blessed eyes if fps like this doesn't look horrid to you

https://twitter.com/nitramsral/status/1281623110299443200

it doesn't but you shouldn't take my opinion too seriously because i'm a massive contrarian whose library is 95% small budget indie games due to an irrational dislike of certain kinds of polish. like when I say contrarian I mean so contrarian that I think really high framerates look weird and too smooth, and it's not that I think that the inverse of that is ideal but it doesn't bother me much more either, it's probably near the bottom of things I care about. i don't expect anyone else to agree because it's a completely idiotic stance that's shaped by my personal background in another medium, that's why my questions were about whether it affected gameplay because it would have to reach something unbelievable like constant 3fps before that was the deal breaker for me.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Takoluka posted:

the chances of running into one are fairly low if you purchase a "sold by Amazon.com" Samsung or Sandisk SD card with good reviews; at that point, you're just at the mercy of general tech failure rates

This is false btw. Amazon mixes inventory from 1st and 3rd party sellers. Ordering "sold by Amazon.com" does not mean that you're getting authentic cards.

Just go to Sandisk's site and order straight from there.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If anyone is following the Mario Lego stuff they added a whole bunch of sets on the Lego website.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

yellowyams posted:

it doesn't but you shouldn't take my opinion too seriously because i'm a massive contrarian whose library is 95% small budget indie games due to an irrational dislike of certain kinds of polish.

I don't see what the Polish have to do with it. They made Witcher 3!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I've finally come first place in Tetris Invictus. I can only think in brightly-coloured squares. What was my life before this.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
friends of mineral town seems to be pretty good so far. i'm still re-learning the rules. the controls are a little bit weird but once you figure them out it's fine. it feels like the game moves about 10-15% too fast, but this could just be because i played the GBA one a lot and maybe that runs slower than the game is supposed to for processing reasons.

wtf is a fruit cow. cursed livestock

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I've never been a lego person but I do really want the NES set. Is it going to be impossible to find without paying a scalper?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
No it'll be fine. Preorder on the Lego website if you like but the more expensive sets are manufactured in enough quantity that there's plenty to go around once the initial rush has died down. Lego reselling becomes a thing once the sets are out of production, which is set dependent but usually they're available for 2 years at least.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Butterfly Valley posted:

No it'll be fine. Preorder on the Lego website if you like but the more expensive sets are manufactured in enough quantity that there's plenty to go around once the initial rush has died down.

Nintendo fans are insane though

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I think they mentioned it'll be an exclusive in their official Lego shops and online store for the first year then released to general retail so that implies they'll be manufacturing it for a decent amount of time.

Lego was getting heavily rushed during Covid 19 and even then they've replenished stock on the most popular sets, including a kickin rad hits right in the nostalgia update of an old pirate ship which made every adult Lego fan poo poo themselves and immediately buy it. This will be fine.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Endorph posted:

The people doing the deadnaming are early 2000s rednecks who are presented as bad guys and who the protagonist constantly gets mad at for doing it. The protagonist does it once, is corrected, and sincerely apologizes. There's a few mishandles scenes (the character is sometimes misgendered and deadnamed when referring to past events) but this is because that is standard and accepted in Japanese, even among Japanese trans people, who refer to the act of transition in a much more then vs now way than western trans culture, which tends to present things as always having been their preferred gender and always using this name, unless those differences are specifically relevant to what they're saying.

It is somewhat mishandled (York is presented very 'twitter reply guy who figured out how to be woke' in a way thats unintentionally comical) and there's an element of culture gap at play, and the character herself is handled kinda badly just as a character, aside from her transness, which definitely means it deserves another pass, but it is not anything like catherine, where a character being misgendered is played for laughs and done by the protagonists.

Thank you very much for the breakdown. This is much more cogent than the mass of (perhaps deserved) outrage on Twitter.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Butterfly Valley posted:

No it'll be fine. Preorder on the Lego website if you like but the more expensive sets are manufactured in enough quantity that there's plenty to go around once the initial rush has died down. Lego reselling becomes a thing once the sets are out of production, which is set dependent but usually they're available for 2 years at least.

Lots of collectors are going to face immense conflict when the NES set goes out of print and is selling for well over a grand if you never opened it. A larger group of scalpers will be laughing all the way to the bank.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I know this is kind of a niche request, but any recommendations for a baseball game that would be fun/helpful for a 6yo just learning the rules of the game?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

yellowyams posted:

thanks, crashing is a pretty big issue if it happens even a few times so i guess i'll probably wait for a patch or a big discount sale.

it doesn't but you shouldn't take my opinion too seriously because i'm a massive contrarian whose library is 95% small budget indie games due to an irrational dislike of certain kinds of polish. like when I say contrarian I mean so contrarian that I think really high framerates look weird and too smooth, and it's not that I think that the inverse of that is ideal but it doesn't bother me much more either, it's probably near the bottom of things I care about. i don't expect anyone else to agree because it's a completely idiotic stance that's shaped by my personal background in another medium, that's why my questions were about whether it affected gameplay because it would have to reach something unbelievable like constant 3fps before that was the deal breaker for me.

I’d watch this if you haven’t.

https://youtu.be/5CHUT-9uofw

I wouldn’t give them any money. It’s pretty ridiculous that it shipped in this state.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

mdemone posted:

I know this is kind of a niche request, but any recommendations for a baseball game that would be fun/helpful for a 6yo just learning the rules of the game?

I would recommend checking out Super Mega Baseball 2 - the third one came out recently but they're charging too much for it, and the big change is the addition of a franchise/GM mode, which doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

It's a great baseball game, you can create teams which is fun, and the difficulty settings are super adjustable. The Switch version runs very well too.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kikkoman posted:

I would recommend checking out Super Mega Baseball 2 - the third one came out recently but they're charging too much for it, and the big change is the addition of a franchise/GM mode, which doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

It's a great baseball game, you can create teams which is fun, and the difficulty settings are super adjustable. The Switch version runs very well too.

Awesome, thank you!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Skrill.exe posted:

This is false btw. Amazon mixes inventory from 1st and 3rd party sellers. Ordering "sold by Amazon.com" does not mean that you're getting authentic cards.

Just go to Sandisk's site and order straight from there.

You are, however, getting Amazon's return policy, so there's that. I've ordered dozens of micro SD cards from Amazon for both Switch and digital camera, and I have had just one fail after a few years of use, possibly due to my own fault. If my experience is typical, then you should be fine.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Best Buy keeps getting more Switches in, by the way. I know some people were getting desperate; just keep an eye out.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I bought almost all my uSDs from MicroCenter, and I haven't had a single one fail yet.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Calaveron posted:

...the problem that what feels like an entire third of the game is played with a character who isn’t even the main character, then the second third is played as a literal child with even more tutorials, and finally the last third is your guy being treated like an idiot
but enough about Metal Gear Solid 2

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I’d watch this if you haven’t.

https://youtu.be/5CHUT-9uofw

I wouldn’t give them any money. It’s pretty ridiculous that it shipped in this state.

sorry if i'm trampling on a joke or something but digital foundry is probably not gonna align with my views on the subject of literally anything they think matters other than the game potentially crashing which has already put me off buying until it's fixed. like more power to yall if you genuinely care about this stuff, i honestly thought it was only twitter trolls and hardware nerds until recently and i'm increasingly aware that i'm the weirdo in this situation but i just can't wrap my head around caring about what the framerate is or pop-in or whatever.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Caring that the frame rate drops to 27fps when exiting buildings in Link's Awakening is not the same as caring that the game runs at a constant 11fps with tons of graphical glitches and oddities in DP2.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
What was the other medium you worked in that turned you off to high frame rates?
E. yellowyams

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

DP2 plays that PS1 / N64 retro feel very, very well. SMH if you didn't live through the single digit framerate generation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

yellowyams posted:

sorry if i'm trampling on a joke or something but digital foundry is probably not gonna align with my views on the subject of literally anything they think matters other than the game potentially crashing which has already put me off buying until it's fixed. like more power to yall if you genuinely care about this stuff, i honestly thought it was only twitter trolls and hardware nerds until recently and i'm increasingly aware that i'm the weirdo in this situation but i just can't wrap my head around caring about what the framerate is or pop-in or whatever.

I mean its not a long video and you could watch a bit of it and see but its not the standard pop in stuff.

The game freezes when you shoot the gun... like that's not normal lol.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

It’s not a Switch game, but I’ve been playing Jedi Fallen Order on PC lately and it’s got me jonesing for some Metroid Prime news. The planet hopping, 3D map style, and general Metroidvania-ish design reminds me a lot of Metroid Prime 3. I’m really hoping for some sort of news on Prime 4 this summer but I really doubt it’s coming, so I guess I’ll keep getting my fix from Star Wars.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Fun Times! posted:

What was the other medium you worked in that turned you off to high frame rates?
E. yellowyams

Traditional animation?

Honestly everything from this thread makes it sound like you're the exact audience for Deadly Premonition 2.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DF is definitely nerdy stuff, but most of the time they're praising technically impressive games or giving detailed rundowns on how a game runs across platforms, they're not the 60FPS police.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Social Animal posted:

$250 is ridiculous for just loving lego.
lego has always been expensive yo

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m surprised there’s no CrossCode thread!

I’ve been playing it on PC and enjoying it a lot, although the dungeon puzzles are certainly an experience. Tricky, precise timing; it’s like if Nintendo hired Satan to do dungeon design for a Zelda game.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the glitches in dp2 seem sick, i wish it wasnt $50

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.

nrook posted:

I’m surprised there’s no CrossCode thread!

I’ve been playing it on PC and enjoying it a lot, although the dungeon puzzles are certainly an experience. Tricky, precise timing; it’s like if Nintendo hired Satan to do dungeon design for a Zelda game.

You may know this already but there's difficulty sliders, including one that makes dungeon timing slower.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zas posted:

it mostly just soft locks a lot, so not that sick

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Spruchy posted:

You may know this already but there's difficulty sliders, including one that makes dungeon timing slower.

I really appreciate that those sliders exist, and I think they’re a great way to make games more accessible.

But I would never.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zas posted:

My buttons just sometimes stopped working including the shoot button during action sequences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

American McGay posted:

Caring that the frame rate drops to 27fps when exiting buildings in Link's Awakening is not the same as caring that the game runs at a constant 11fps with tons of graphical glitches and oddities in DP2.
i think it's reasonable to call dp2's framerate unacceptably low because 10fps sounds like one of the lowest numbers i've ever heard in that context and it sounds like it has a lot of technical issues as a game. it's also true that when i look at a video of 10fps it looks fine to me and is not something i could ever imagine factoring into my decision to get it while other problems are.

i'm really bad at communicating with text and at this point i think trying to explain myself is causing more confusion but i really only meant to ask if the game had problems that would bug me specifically before i purchased it because other people's definitions of unplayable are different from mine, i don't know what else to say to make it clear that these are not general statements about what others should think. or is the opinion too unbelievable and needs an explanation? this isn't even my worst one.

Fun Times! posted:

E. yellowyams

i can't be concise for poo poo and really don't want to get into personal life story in a video game thread, but it's not frame rates that bother me, it's polish and i can vaguely extrapolate frame rates from that but honestly i'm pretty indifferent. i don't think knowing makes it more palatable though, like the most abridged/simplified way i can think to explain it is that i'm highly opinionated on visual art and love amateurish art that looks technically unskillful. so qualities that some people would view as negative are positives for me and that extends to music, film, etc. not when a game crashes though lol.

e: wait, i realized what comment you're referring to. it's because high frame rates remind me of motion smoothing but it's not a very fair comparison since motion smoothing is worse and fucks with the image. but really it's just preference, low or high doesn't make that much difference to me.

MarcusSA posted:

I mean its not a long video and you could watch a bit of it and see but its not the standard pop in stuff.

The game freezes when you shoot the gun... like that's not normal lol.

yeah, i got defensive since df is like the opposite of how i feel about technical stuff but they're not mistaken when they point out problems.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 15, 2020