Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So I'm looking at Death Guard and Wraith focused armies as alternatives to jumping in on Space Marines. How poopy are Wraithguard focused lists looking? I ask, hands trembling over a $170 Wraithknight about to get creamed in one turn by a bunch of screaming barbarians with jetpacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Maneck posted:

Youtube is also a villain here. They not only continue to host him, they actually promote his channel via automated features. After learning he existed from the thread, I've scrupulously avoided him. Nevertheless, by virtue of watching 40k videos (I assume) Youtube keeps trying to get me to watch his crap.

Youtube's algorithm actively promotes hatred

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Maneck posted:

Youtube is also a villain here. They not only continue to host him, they actually promote his channel via automated features. After learning he existed from the thread, I've scrupulously avoided him. Nevertheless, by virtue of watching 40k videos (I assume) Youtube keeps trying to get me to watch his crap.

There's a little three dot thing you can click on which gives you the option to flag a channel as not interested; it'll never show up again if you do that.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

can anyone recommend some US based bits sellers? looking to concert some berserkers and need shoulderpads and chain axes.

also can a berserker replace his gun with a chain axe and keep his other melee weapon?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Thanqol posted:

There's a little three dot thing you can click on which gives you the option to flag a channel as not interested; it'll never show up again if you do that.

That works sometimes. But Youtube is hell bent on recommending cable news channels that have taken to their platform no matter how many times I say no.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

edit : lol I'm slow

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I told YouTube I was sick of them promoting that nazi gently caress Pewdiepie and his videos stopped showing up in my recommends.

They must actually have a block function but it's not user facing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I swear I've blocked specific channels/creators. I'll see if I can stumble my way into figuring it out again.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

At least one youtube extension allows you to block specific channels, but as far as I know there's nothing that's built in.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The "Don't recommend this channel to me" option really does work, I've used it dozens of times.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The trick for me was that it's not enough to click "I don't like this video." You have to go into the "Why?" button following that and select "Don't recommend this channel to me." It will not algorithmically block an entire channel just because you habitually disrecommend videos from that channel.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Thanqol posted:

Did this. Clicked do not recommend this channel. Youtube said it would no longer recommend it. Possible success.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
“Warhammer is for everyone” is such an innocuous statement too lol, like who does he think should NOT be allowed to play?

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

“Warhammer is for everyone” is such an innocuous statement too lol, like who does he think should NOT be allowed to play?

it's not so much that he doesn't think certain groups should not be allowed, so much as that racists should be welcome, I think

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

lmao that’s even funnier because it means he can’t possibly imagine being able to go into a store and being unable to say ACTUALLY ALL LIVES MATTER due to his own brain problems

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
He wants to be included in the community while also viciously denigrating anyone in said community who doesn't meet his hosed up racial purity standard or whatever

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

physically shaking with the sheer effort of not redpilling the cashier about racial iq while paying for a land raider

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Clawtopsy posted:

Have you heard the phrase "Gamer word"?

All of them. He hates all of the gamer words.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

screaming “I thought it was for EVERYONE!!” as i’m banned from the store for explaining to a 12 year old that while you can paint marneus calgar’s armor pink don’t you dare paint his face black

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

So I'm looking at Death Guard and Wraith focused armies as alternatives to jumping in on Space Marines. How poopy are Wraithguard focused lists looking? I ask, hands trembling over a $170 Wraithknight about to get creamed in one turn by a bunch of screaming barbarians with jetpacks

Wraithlords should be fairly good now they can shoot in combat and punch people in second floors on ruins. Wraithguard? Not so much I think.

The problem with asking "as an alternative to space marines" tagged onto a question of "how good is this" the answer is nearly always don't do it stick to space marines. I know you probably mean you just don't want to be yet another SM player and want to pick something at least decent, but just wanted to make sure expectations are right.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

With the new edition hitting, I’m thinking about diving back into 40K. I still have a couple units of Iron Warriors from waaaay back in 3rd edition.

What would be the best way to go about expanding my IWs? I basically only have 2 units of marines, a unit of old ugly Obliterators, and a Chaos Lord.

I used to have a Defiler and a Rhino, but I guess those vanished sometime between being a teenager and now being a mid-30s married man.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Makes sense, thanks for the perspectives Veterans of the Long Hobby :kiss:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

TotalHell posted:

With the new edition hitting, I’m thinking about diving back into 40K. I still have a couple units of Iron Warriors from waaaay back in 3rd edition.

What would be the best way to go about expanding my IWs? I basically only have 2 units of marines, a unit of old ugly Obliterators, and a Chaos Lord.

I used to have a Defiler and a Rhino, but I guess those vanished sometime between being a teenager and now being a mid-30s married man.

Chaos are in a pretty bad place right now, so if probably just advise you to get stuff to fill out a detachment (e.g. A battalion) if you don't already have it, and get started on that as more iron warriors and some sort of second HQ choice will always be useful.

By the time you've managed to paint all that stuff, 9th will have been out a little while and you may get a bit more feeling online on what's got good. For example, defilers may be a lot better now they can shoot into the combat they are in.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

screaming “I thought it was for EVERYONE!!” as i’m banned from the store for explaining to a 12 year old that while you can paint marneus calgar’s armor pink don’t you dare paint his face black

I'm not a racist I'm a western chauvinist, there is a difference okay

Kitchner posted:

Chaos are in a pretty bad place right now, so if probably just advise you to get stuff to fill out a detachment (e.g. A battalion) if you don't already have it, and get started on that as more iron warriors and some sort of second HQ choice will always be useful.

By the time you've managed to paint all that stuff, 9th will have been out a little while and you may get a bit more feeling online on what's got good. For example, defilers may be a lot better now they can shoot into the combat they are in.

what puts chaos in a bad space currently? the Goonhammer article for 8th said they were strong if you took the right stuff. I'm building a mono-Khorne army, are they not good?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I know we have our fair share of bickering bullshit in the thread, but I just want to call out how good it is that goons are universally like 'gently caress That Guy'.

You're good people, and against all goony odds, sometimes I think we lose sight of how good it is compared to the morass outside.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Shockeh posted:

I know we have our fair share of bickering bullshit in the thread, but I just want to call out how good it is that goons are universally like 'gently caress That Guy'.

You're good people, and against all goony odds, sometimes I think we lose sight of how good it is compared to the morass outside.

Having read these threads for some time vs other forums, I agree.

Also Saga is loving awesome, nice AV

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Shockeh posted:

I'm pretty sure if anyone came out in defense of Arch, everyone else would collectively run them out of the thread and possibly the subforum. TG has a real low shitheel tolerance.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Tsilkani posted:

Arch is at it again, trying to organize pushback against the 'Warhammer is for Everyone' post.

Someone mentioned his name in my local warhammer discord and the Mods just said "Yes he's bad, no we aren't going to talk about him"

So I don't think it's going to work.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I posted this in the painting and modeling thread, is it okay to ask the same question here? this thread seems to get a lot more traffic

Omar al-Bishie posted:

how do you go about painting black daemon flesh? Like this guy:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I posted this in the painting and modeling thread, is it okay to ask the same question here? this thread seems to get a lot more traffic

Basecoat covid black, shade reikland fleshshade, highlight dawnstone and point highlight admistratum grey. Using the warm wash will make it feel a bit more like skin rather than a flat black rock; you can switch out for nuln oil or drakenhof nightshade if you want to make it feel more like stone. Druchii violet would be a really alien look, also worth consideration.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Thanqol posted:

Basecoat covid black, shade reikland fleshshade, highlight dawnstone and point highlight admistratum grey. Using the warm wash will make it feel a bit more like skin rather than a flat black rock; you can switch out for nuln oil or drakenhof nightshade if you want to make it feel more like stone. Druchii violet would be a really alien look, also worth consideration.

are these citadel paints? I wasn't sure what brand I was going to go with

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kitchner posted:

Wraithlords should be fairly good now they can shoot in combat and punch people in second floors on ruins. Wraithguard? Not so much I think.

The problem with asking "as an alternative to space marines" tagged onto a question of "how good is this" the answer is nearly always don't do it stick to space marines. I know you probably mean you just don't want to be yet another SM player and want to pick something at least decent, but just wanted to make sure expectations are right.

Yeah I know what you mean and maybe Wraithstuff not a great choice but the Death Guard seem kinda cool and Myphitic Blight Haulers are good but more importantly cute!

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Omar al-Bishie posted:

If you wanted to stay in neutral blacks and Grey's you could try basing administratum** grey, the black Templar contrast then highlight back up using dawnstone or celestain grey then ulthuan grey. Sorry for spelling, 40k name are hard.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I just assembled and primed a daemon prince with claws but no wings added yet, which I'm priming separately. but before I glue them on, do winged princes seem like they'll be viable? I know they just got a lot more expensive

edit: here is my daemon boy! I had a hard time choosing which head to use. I'll probably get another kit of this and make an alternate one, it was a really easy one to assemble and very fun.

I can only speak in regards to the Daemon Prince of Tzeentch as it’s a bit better than a normal Daemon Prince of Chaos, but mine has never ever let me down. When shielded by a group of melee infantry units to stop it getting shot to bits before it can go krumpin the enemy he has basically been a one man army. Even without screening troops has survived longer than he should. The last game I played I took two and they really went to town on some Sisters of Battle.

I also love how he looks like he is constantly taunting the enemy. I personally would give yours wings.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I can only speak in regards to the Daemon Prince of Tzeentch as it’s a bit better than a normal Daemon Prince of Chaos, but mine has never ever let me down. When shielded by a group of melee infantry units to stop it getting shot to bits before it can go krumpin the enemy he has basically been a one man army. Even without screening troops has survived longer than he should. The last game I played I took two and they really went to town on some Sisters of Battle.

I also love how he looks like he is constantly taunting the enemy. I personally would give yours wings.

That is a dope army! I love your painting scheme. Tzeentch is cool as hell, even though as a follower of Khorne I must declare you a little scamp psyker baby.

I forgot the chaos space marine shoulder pads and the knee pads so I reprimed my dude with those bits on, I'll add wings tomorrow I think

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Omar al-Bishie posted:

what puts chaos in a bad space currently? the Goonhammer article for 8th said they were strong if you took the right stuff. I'm building a mono-Khorne army, are they not good?

A few things. Chaos took some bad hits in the points re-jiggering. For example, Cultists going to 6ppm when Guardsmen went to 5ppm is painful when you want to buy Cultists in large mobs. Speaking of which, large mobs (which you want for your Cultists and Lesser Daemons) themselves are less viable in 9th edition. Blast weapons wreck them quickly, and the new Coherency rules means if you gently caress up your movement or which models you pick as casualties you could end up losing even more models. Which in turn means that Conga Lining is dead which was a tactic that Chaos used a lot with Cultists and Daemons.

The BIG problem, though, is that the way the new Detachment rules work it penalizes Soup lists by costing you CP to get more than one detachment. Which means that the bread and butter of Chaos lists, which was one detachment of Chaos Marines and a second detachment of Chaos Daemons, ends up having fewer CP than any single faction army. Which, since you can be a CP thirsty army, is pretty painful.

Any one of these hits can be worked around, but all of them together really hurt the way that Chaos was played in late 8th edition. That's not to say that someone won't come up with something new as people finally start playing games again, but early 9th looks like a much more difficult landscape for Chaos than late 8th was.

e: Oh, and the fact that you can't inflict more than a -1 penalty to hit on someone breaks one of Chaos' newer tricks out of Psychic Awakening: the Unhittable Greater Possessed is now just the Slightly Harder to Hit Greater Possessed.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 15, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Clawtopsy posted:

lmao that’s even funnier because it means he can’t possibly imagine being able to go into a store and being unable to say ACTUALLY ALL LIVES MATTER due to his own brain problems

Funnily enough, when presented with a description of a repellent small-minded bigot a lot of the chuddier players immediately self-identified with it and complained they personally had been excluded, without any external input.

It's a very useful litmus test.

Tsilkani posted:

I'm pretty sure if anyone came out in defense of Arch, everyone else would collectively run them out of the thread and possibly the subforum. TG has a real low shitheel tolerance.

We have actually done that in the past to people who express his sort of views. I can't remember the last dude's name, but the thread was merciless and relentless until he was gone.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

jng2058 posted:

chaos advice

thanks for the summary, it's appreciated. I'm running a World Eater's army so I'm not sure if they use cultists as much. I still need to research but right now I'm focusing on my daemon prince and some converted berserkers I'm going to be making

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I feel you guys are selling arch short. He is not just racist. He is also a raging misogynist, homo- and transphobe, as well as probably every other know form of bigotry. Finally, he has an atrocious and unbelievable annoying voice, but I guess that’s not his fault and I shouldn’t hold it against him.

It’s not quite the same league, but I still get recommended striking scorpion 82 vids (especially since 9th dropped) even though i told YouTube not to recommend me that racist rear end in a top hat again

Eej posted:

Yeah I know what you mean and maybe Wraithstuff not a great choice but the Death Guard seem kinda cool and Myphitic Blight Haulers are good but more importantly cute!

No one really knows, because there is no meta yet, but death guards looks kinda good for 9th, they got some really nice stuff in their PA and if 9ths focus on controlling objectives keeps being a thing, then durability (which DG are great at) will probably be valuable. Blightlord terminators might continue to be a competitive choice. I think the new 4++ for demon engines will be cool.

With regards to wraith eldar, I don’t think anyone has won anything using a wraith-based list for a long time. It’s been wall to wall night spinners and shining spears for a while, but that’s mainly a function of ITCs lame missions. The closest to a decent wraith army is three hemlock wraithfighters and the very occasional wraithlord. The wraithstuff just not very good and incredible expensive for what they do, and deceptively squishy. Might change for 9th, who knows, but they sucked in 8th. The wraithguard and wraithlord do have the benefit of both doing shooty and fighty at an okay level, which may end up being good but it’s hard to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TotalHell posted:

The Start Collecting box is good way to get some more minis for good value, I've no idea if they're any good in the current meta though.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I feel you guys are selling arch short. He is not just racist. He is also a raging misogynist, homo- and transphobe, as well as probably every other know form of bigotry. Finally, he has an atrocious and unbelievable annoying voice, but I guess that's not his fault and I shouldn't hold it against him.
No, the accent's a deliberate choice, you can hold that against him too.