Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think they intentionally choose more stuff they're enthusiastic about for Patreon, whereas the regular episodes can be more of a mixed bag.

I've been watching all of their commentaries since before Patreon, I highly recommend them. They do the entire Twilight series while doing power hours and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Twitch posted:

I've been watching all of their commentaries since before Patreon, I highly recommend them. They do the entire Twilight series while doing power hours and it rules.

The only thing keeping me from watching the Twilight commentaries is that I'd have to taint my recommendations, and/or pay money to rent them

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Iron Crowned posted:

The only thing keeping me from watching the Twilight commentaries is that I'd have to taint my recommendations, and/or pay money to rent them

The whole series is on Amazon Prime.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Acht posted:

I never did a commentary watch, kinda curious about that too now.

I really liked their Rambo 2008 commentary, they're so happy to just be watching a dumb hyperviolent mess. Their Revenge of the Sith commentary is also really funny, Eric spends a lot of the time pointing out the shockingly high number of CGI lamps there are.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Acht posted:

I find myself enjoying the more recent episodes less and revisiting older episodes again. However, I have no idea why. Anyone else having the same?

Still love it and I should check out the patreon stuff. drat well deserved seeing how often I listen to their stuff. I never did a commentary watch, kinda curious about that too now.

I’m always a little lukewarm on summer blockbuster extravaganza being two months long leading into the off season, the movies are never wacky and weird just loud and dumb. Still everything on Patreon has been worth the price of admission and Mel Rowe is great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why are they doing The Terminal? I'm rewatching it now and this movie's not bad. It's not great, but it's not bad either.

It's okay to like a movie!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I watched The Terminal for the first time this last weekend. I liked it quite a bit. A fantastical journey inside an airport terminal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rageaholic posted:

Why are they doing The Terminal? I'm rewatching it now and this movie's not bad. It's not great, but it's not bad either.

Kinda like The Mask. They spent a lot of time talking about what they liked about it, but at the end of the day, it was WHM episode and not a WLM.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

I think it’s because there is a Tom Hanks movie coming out now and the Terminal was directed by Spielberg so they have an excuse to do Raiders

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

weekly font posted:

I’m always a little lukewarm on summer blockbuster extravaganza being two months long leading into the off season, the movies are never wacky and weird just loud and dumb. Still everything on Patreon has been worth the price of admission and Mel Rowe is great.

yea I still am having fun but so much of summer blockbuster stuff is less terrible insane poo poo to laugh at and more just 'this was like two hours of loud poo poo and then it was over, I guess it was fine'.

I'd say the biggest selling point is that they're really good at riffs and all, so when they go into an extended joke about scuzzy catholic schools not letting you buy lunch you forget that Terminal was mainly just a nothing movie that was carried by Tom Hanks being Tom motherfucking Hanks so there's just not much more to talk about once you get past 'this whole thing is dumb and Tucci's character is weird'.

Also the Patreon is gold, and yea even if you're not super into the movies being done I'd say Melrose90210 has been gold regardless.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The Terminal is one of those movies you watch once and never revisit. It was fine. I didn't regret watching it, I almost never regret watching Tom Hanks. It's weird that the guys don't seem to like him very much? They don't like his feel good movies at least, they've done three on the show. Have they ever covered a Tom Hanks movie they liked?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

clown shoes posted:

The Terminal is one of those movies you watch once and never revisit. It was fine. I didn't regret watching it, I almost never regret watching Tom Hanks. It's weird that the guys don't seem to like him very much? They don't like his feel good movies at least, they've done three on the show. Have they ever covered a Tom Hanks movie they liked?

In the episode they mention a few times how good Hanks is, I don't think they dislike him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea they mainly 'dislike' that bad movies get an instant five points just because of how loving charismatic and charming Hanks is, that's hardly disliking him. I think they pretty clearly liked Castaway considering how they were comparing the two. Whomst among us haven't fallen into the Hanks Trap?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

clown shoes posted:

Cast Away. Andrew especially likes that movie.

Also, they are very clear in the Forrest Gump episode that the problem in the movie is not Tom Hanks; that he delivered an incredible performance and dragged a subpar script over the finish line.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's going to be weird when they go back and re-do episodes about specific movies. It's inevitable, right?

They could re-do the first 150 or so episodes with all 4 guys and make them all 2 hours and it's be great.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Firstborn posted:

It's going to be weird when they go back and re-do episodes about specific movies. It's inevitable, right?

They could re-do the first 150 or so episodes with all 4 guys and make them all 2 hours and it's be great.

I think they said they were gonna do this already

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Was there any reason to why there were only 3 guys for a given show for so long? Was it just scheduling conflicts? Also, has Andrew ever not been on the show?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Arson Daily posted:

Was there any reason to why there were only 3 guys for a given show for so long? Was it just scheduling conflicts? Also, has Andrew ever not been on the show?

The only thing I can remember Andrew not being on was a recent On-Screen for something, maybe a Star Wars or Marvel. Otherwise, I do not recall listening to a Prime or any other episode without him.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I think they said they were gonna do this already

They should do Wired for a 3rd time. Then lose the recording and have to do it a 4th time.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Maximum Overdrive deserves a redo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arson Daily posted:

I don't think they ever said. When cabin came back from wherever he was they just started doing shows with everyone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't think they ever said. When cabin came back from wherever he was they just started doing shows with everyone.

It had something to do with Cabin's job, that's all I can recall

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think it's just that this started as just a fun hobby, so often one of them just couldn't be on. As long as three of them could be there, they could do an episode. At some point, though, they decided to make this "a thing" and not just a hobby and make sure they were all on every episode.

Andrew, as the guy who runs the thing, was on every prime episode, as far as I can remember.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
i've listened to these guys almost since the beginning and gone through phases and different length of commutes for jobs that had me sometimes listening to an episode a day and re-listening to a lot. Kind of embarrassed to admit that I probably listened to the Time Cop episode like 7 different times, and others (not even really "stand out" ones, like Stay Tuned) just as much.
And yet here I am refreshing the patreon waiting on that Indiana Jones episode. I get nostalgic about Indiana Jones the same way people do about Star Wars, I think. I rewatched Last Crusade the other night with the wife and I was surprised how comedic it was. I didn't remember it being so loving funny. Tank scene is still great. I watched with subtitles and caught a lot more Indy mumble snark that I realized.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 15, 2020

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

It had something to do with Cabin's job, that's all I can recall

Cabin's wife is an academic who needed to live in Germany for a year for work, and he came along and presumably spent the time deepening his appreciation for beer. He made his big return on the live episode for Jupiter Ascending, which is extra special to me since it had been a personal "Stay Tuned" since the moment I started listening to WHM. Sean Beean, lmao.

I can't believe I've been listening to this podcast for like 8 years. I've probably listened to the Three Men and a Baby episode a dozen times. They're all amazing Twitter follows if anybody's not on that, btw.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've been listening since someone on SA linked their Food Fight episode. You could still find all of the old episodes on the regular feed back then. I can't believe there was a point in my life where I was so starved for podcasts I would listen to every back episode of a show.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Haha i thought for a second Raiders was getting a We Hate Movies and it almost made sense

Rewatching it recently as someone who loved all three of those movies more than anything as a little kid...it was rough.
Even if you could excise the Unrepentant Pedophile Abuser aspect to Indie, I had forgotten how much of the series was Roger Moore Bond Slapstick Escapades. There's plenty of dope action and horror still but goddamn that entire Egypt chase/kidnapping is COMPLETELY worthless and painful to watch EXCEPT for the iconic swordsman shooting scene.
I forgot how much of the movies had just like, Lame Slapstick Roger Moore Bond sections. Makes sense I loved it as a kid.
Haha the mostly useless woman is hitting him with a frying pan!!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Marion: I was a child! I was in love! It was wrong and you knew it!
Jones: You knew what you were doing

LOCK HIM UP
LOCK HIM UP

This is the central relationship of the film. It's hard for it to not ruin the entire film, honestly. It's the Adventures of Blame it on Rio and Lucas wanted her even younger.
Thank god there are still some good sequences (opening, a few Nazi fights, face melting)

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Yeah, the Indy/Marion thing is definitely cringy. Based on their earlier talks though, it could have been much, much worse.

quote:

Lawrence Kasdan: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.

Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve.

Lucas: It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.

Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...

Spielberg: She has pictures of him.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Haha i thought for a second Raiders was getting a We Hate Movies and it almost made sense

Rewatching it recently as someone who loved all three of those movies more than anything as a little kid...it was rough.
Even if you could excise the Unrepentant Pedophile Abuser aspect to Indie, I had forgotten how much of the series was Roger Moore Bond Slapstick Escapades. There's plenty of dope action and horror still but goddamn that entire Egypt chase/kidnapping is COMPLETELY worthless and painful to watch EXCEPT for the iconic swordsman shooting scene.
I forgot how much of the movies had just like, Lame Slapstick Roger Moore Bond sections. Makes sense I loved it as a kid.
Haha the mostly useless woman is hitting him with a frying pan!!!

...you can get right the hell out of here with that bullshit. Raiders is near perfect.

Only "near perfect" because yeah, the age poo poo is rough and never should have been there. But other than that, perfect example in "why movies are made".

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 15, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Near perfect??? Even without the pedophile stuff the entirety of that Egypt chase/kidnapping with Marion is just the lamest HAHAH ARABS HAHAHA MONKEY HAHAHA WOMEN TRYIN TO FIGHT slapstick comedy Benny Hill bullshit.
It's just bad. It feels like James Bond cutting room material. Him shooting the swordsman guy is the only entertaining part of that whole sequence.

Again, it makes sense that I adored it as a little kid.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Right. The hell. Out.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Holy poo poo I always thought the "I was a child!" thing was about Marion being a college student and Jones was her professor. It literally being about her being a child is maximum loving gross. gently caress you george lucas

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 15, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Tbf it's only five minutes but looord it felt like it dragged and i guess id forgotten how much Indiana Jones lapsed into Corny James Bond sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EJU0lXgdTI
^^^ This is bad and lame and boring sorry ^^^
Indiana Jones trying to be zany slapstick is just embarassing. It's like the live action Aladdin movie. 🤣
and so is basically everything with John Rhys-Davies hth.

The Nazi killing, most of the action sequences, and horror though? Fantastic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arson Daily posted:

Holy poo poo I always thought the "I was a child!" thing was about Marion being a college student and Jones was her professor. It literally being about her being a child is maximum ducking gross. gently caress you george lucas

yea same it took me forever to actually hear someone do the math on that, I also had it chalked up to 'I was a child' meaning she was a young college student fresh out of living at home and all.

Nope Indy just is a pedophile, wacky times folks, waaaaaaaacky times!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like this super racist arab-hating shitbird pretending to be Indy's arab toady, it's 1000x more disgusting than Short Round.

I always found the Temple of Doom shaming funny cuz the other movies are JUST as "bad" in the way Doom is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arson Daily posted:

Holy poo poo I always thought the "I was a child!" thing was about Marion being a college student and Jones was her professor. It literally being about her being a child is maximum ducking gross. gently caress you george lucas

I mean, it's not like the script notes made it into the movie, so "I was a child!" can be whatever you assume it is. Lucas being a total creepazoid when they were tossing around ideas doesn't mean that's what they went with for the final product. Even in the conversation it seems like Spielberg is trying to steer him back to something somewhat less creepy, so in the end, they may have settled on "college student" and we don't have those notes. Who knows. The movie leaves it ambiguous. I've never done the math on how their ages work out, because, as far as I know, there's no way to know how old the characters of Marion and Indy actually are in Raiders.

But yeah, those notes are hosed up, and Lucas just keeps burying himself the more he talks, and it's really bad and gives a terrible "back story" for Indy's character, if that's how you choose to look at it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 15, 2020

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

my favorite part of the Terminal is when Hanks calls a ketchup packet "VEREH NIIIICE" and starts talking about "MAI WAAAAAAA-IFUH"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Speaking of my cinematic axes to grind i really appreciated We Hate Movies calling out 300 (in their 300th episode) as possibly one of the most racist films of the last 20 years because lord knows plenty of goons and internet shitbirds and real life nerds would constantly try to gaslight and pose my extreme hatred for that film as me taking things too seriously or personally or "it's MEANT to be (racist) propaganda/it's not real history/it's making a critical statement on Bush era politics" or whatever white male nerd blahblahblahing. We're not even TOUCHING the ableism and homophobia of the film. Just on the racism and colorism alone, it's one of the most disgusting films of all time.
So many excuses for that stupid movie, and it's amazing that Snyder gets so much online bashing but rarely for what is without a doubt his most lovely and virulently evil film (even if you can blame Frank Miller for the source material). A lot of the time the same people who rant about his DC films generally love 300, and it checks out because they suck poo poo.
It's garbage and if you like it you are also garbage.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh yikes, I'm rewatching Raiders for the first time in a long time and I just got past the "I was a child!" line :yikes: