Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Since I'm still on my first playthrough, I don't really know where the game is going, but I don't think I'm going to recruit any more characters even if I get the chance to. I already have so many that some of them are basically permanently benched. (Lorenz, I don't know if you could be good or not, but you're an annoying prick.)

Is there any reason to recruit as many people as you can aside from seeing their stories develop? It feels at this point like it makes more sense to focus on a core group of about 12 so that I can realistically keep them all reasonably leveled up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Inu posted:

Since I'm still on my first playthrough, I don't really know where the game is going, but I don't think I'm going to recruit any more characters even if I get the chance to. I already have so many that some of them are basically permanently benched. (Lorenz, I don't know if you could be good or not, but you're an annoying prick.)

Is there any reason to recruit as many people as you can aside from seeing their stories develop? It feels at this point like it makes more sense to focus on a core group of about 12 so that I can realistically keep them all reasonably leveled up.

Paralogues and their rewards, mostly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inu posted:

If you plan on playing through multiple routes, I'd actually recommend recruiting only a few out-of-house students each time. That way you have new characters to learn about in each playthrough.

Incidentally I recommend continuing to eat meals with/talk to characters you bench, like Lorenz, if only because you can keep seeing more support conversations, and some of them do develop from their initial impressions. That said I've played through the Golden Deer route twice now, on Hard and later Maddening, and have never actually used Lorenz so :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

They could've made her a Bishop with a Levin sword.

Though, honestly, I don't recall any enemies having Levin swords.
One of the enemies in Seteth/Flayn's paralogue has a droppable Levin Sword. An enemy female Priest, no less.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AradoBalanga posted:

One of the enemies in Seteth/Flayn's paralogue has a droppable Levin Sword. An enemy female Priest, no less.

Now that you mention it, I remember them. But I've never given them a chance to attack. Do they actually use them? Or do they just use their white magic?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Inu posted:

It's a good idea to keep Lorenz (and any of your initial students) leveled for a future battle. You'll also have to use him for his paralogue, which you'll definitely want to do. Not because it makes him less of a tool, but because Lysithea will be very happy to get her hands on his relic.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Now that you mention it, I remember them. But I've never given them a chance to attack. Do they actually use them? Or do they just use their white magic?

I think I've seen her use it, now that it's come up. But healing AI can get weird.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Inu posted:

From a story perspective I would just try to recruit and gain supports with the people your lord and their retainer have supports with and go from there.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Epi Lepi posted:

From a story perspective I would just try to recruit and gain supports with the people your lord and their retainer have supports with and go from there.

The problem with this is the only retainer who has cross house supports is Hilda.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

AlternateNu posted:

:lol: If you don't recruit Manuela, she's an assassin in the Silver Maiden paralogue. An assassin? Really? :psyduck:

It's because she gave up her Faith to join the Empire

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Melomane Mallet posted:

The problem with this is the only retainer who has cross house supports is Hilda.

Makes sense. She's the only retainer you can recruit outside their lord's route (and you can only do this in Azure Moon). I'm still surprised by this, honestly. Like, I didn't have her in the right spot to do this on my current playthrough, but I wonder what the unique dialogue is if you pit Hilda against Claude in the Gronder Field battle.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 15, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You can also do it in Silver Snow.

And the answer is absolutely nothing. She just gets the same generic line as every other classmate does. It is immensely disappointing, which describes most of that battle, to be fair.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
well after 430 hours and 5 playthroughs, it's time for me to hang up the old sword of the creator for a while. enjoyed my final gimmick run with gremory Petra, dancer Caspar, and fortress knights lysithea, mercedes, bernie, and constance absolutely tearing rear end with bolt axes. poor linhardt was just the worst war master ever. hubert and dorothea were great wyvern lords because everybody is a great wyvern lord. thank you, i yield my time.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

AlternateNu posted:

Makes sense. She's the only retainer you can recruit outside their lord's route (and you can only do this in Azure Moon). I'm still surprised by this, honestly. Like, I didn't have her in the right spot to do this on my current playthrough, but I wonder what the unique dialogue is if you pit Hilda against Claude in the Gronder Field battle.

You can recruit her on Black Eagles if you go against Edelgard (Silver Snow) and not until you've committed to that route, but SS completely skips the Gronder battle month entirely, so... :shrug:

I have not deployed her on that fight for AM yet, so can't say.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I feel like a big idiot because I'm really wavering on abandoning Maddening and the primary reason is I can't kill Death Knight on Ch4 because he keeps critting me on the one attack I need to bait him into making. Yes I know I can just walk past him to the sides of the map

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
He has a really high crit rate, you definitely should assume he's going to crit on at least one of his two hits.

If you're on NG+, use a battalion that gives you the Impregnable Wall gambit. It's the easiest way to cheese this.

If you don't have that, you can also use Stride to reach the Death Knight from outside his attack range. Downside being of course that he doesn't leave the +Avoid tile.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

He has a really high crit rate, you definitely should assume he's going to crit on at least one of his two hits.

If you're on NG+, use a battalion that gives you the Impregnable Wall gambit. It's the easiest way to cheese this.

If you don't have that, you can also use Stride to reach the Death Knight from outside his attack range. Downside being of course that he doesn't leave the +Avoid tile.

I don't think that tile protects him from gambits

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If you're on NG you should have the praying troops that give you Blessing, if you can either avoid a double, or survive the first hit then the DK can't kill you and you can just beat him to death.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

He still can with a crit on the first hit. It's not very foolproof. Still very helpful of course.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I feel like a big idiot because I'm really wavering on abandoning Maddening and the primary reason is I can't kill Death Knight on Ch4 because he keeps critting me on the one attack I need to bait him into making. Yes I know I can just walk past him to the sides of the map

I have never bothered fighting him on that map. You'll get other chances to fight him and get dark seals in the future (and they're not exactly in high demand). It would be a shame to ditch Maddening if you're otherwise having fun with it.

If you're not having fun then you should drop down but don't let that extremely optional challenge be the deciding factor.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you're gonna bait him, it might help to do it on turn 1 so that restarting on a crit is no big deal. You can kill the two enemies that are close to the spawn area from outside the Death Knight's range (Curved Shot helps). Leave one person in a position he can reach, and gang up on him on turn 2.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Genovera posted:

I have never bothered fighting him on that map. You'll get other chances to fight him and get dark seals in the future (and they're not exactly in high demand). It would be a shame to ditch Maddening if you're otherwise having fun with it.

If you're not having fun then you should drop down but don't let that extremely optional challenge be the deciding factor.

Yeah, but if you aren't punking on the tryjard black knight fanboy every opportunity you get what are you even doing with your life?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Look, you either let Lysithea nuke the Death Knight or you run the risk of her venting her frustrations on the monastery. I know what I'm picking.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My first playthrough before I knew what I was doing, I targeted him for shits-and-giggles willing to blow a pulse for it, and Edie one-shot him with something like a 7% crit with barely over 50% to hit. :v:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Is there a reason the Empire needed specifically Flayn's blood or was it just that she's a lot easier to kidnap than Seteth or Rhea?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Cappy posted:

Is there a reason the Empire needed specifically Flayn's blood or was it just that she's a lot easier to kidnap than Seteth or Rhea?

The latter. They'd capture Seteth or Rhea if they could, but those two are much harder targets.

It's implied that the little trick the last boss of Azure Moon pulls to provide a suitable final boss was the product of all the experiments with the blood of Flayn and Rhea.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Cythereal posted:

The latter. They'd capture Seteth or Rhea if they could, but those two are much harder targets.

It's implied that the little trick the last boss of Azure Moon pulls to provide a suitable final boss was the product of all the experiments with the blood of Flayn and Rhea.

I mean, I don't think the Slytherins ever get their hands on Rhea or her blood: The DLC has a person in the Abyss post-Edelgard's death in VW and SS who explicitly lays out that Edelgard kept Rhea prisoner herself (in order for Rhea to be her insurance against the Slytherins, which would be hard if the Slytherins knew where Rhea was and could off her at any time).

As for what Flayn was grabbed for, it's never made clear and I believe the only thing that explicitly is a result of Flayn's kidnapping is Kronya's infiltration. I guess it might have been Amyr-related, but that's more bone than blood so? Maybe something to do with Beasts or the Remire madness juice?

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 16, 2020

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Shinji117 posted:

As for what Flayn was grabbed for, it's never made clear and I believe the only thing that explicitly is a result of Flayn's kidnapping is Kronya's infiltration. I guess it might have been Amyr-related, but that's more bone than blood so? Maybe something to do with Beasts, as the Slytherins do start using Beasts more frequently from that point on?

Doesn't Solon say something about using Flayn's blood for experiments when he shows up at Remire?

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Well Manicured Man posted:

Doesn't Solon say something about using Flayn's blood for experiments when he shows up at Remire?

quote:

I was hiding away in Garreg Mach to get the blood of that little girl called Flayn. With her blood, we'll be one step closer to realizing our goal.
What this goal is isn't explained.

Claude also has a bit where he thinks about this

quote:

But then they kidnapped Flayn and used her blood for their recent attack. Based on that, we should probably assume that their true objective is something other than the Relics. Don't you think?
They called this incident "an experiment." And they said they got what they came for. That means they might take this success and attempt something even bigger next time. Sadly, that's all we can assume. There are far too many things we still don't know.

What the Slytherins are doing in Remire (besides loving with the Flame Emperor's reputation) is never really made clear. I guess it could have something to do with beast-creation in the "make people turn into crazed killers" looks kinda-vaguely similar to "make people turn into crazed monsters", and the next big Slytherin plot involves turning a whole bunch of people into Beasts, but I'm fairly sure it's not explained.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 16, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shinji117 posted:

I mean, I don't think the Slytherins ever get their hands on Rhea or her blood: The DLC has a person in the Abyss post-Edelgard's death in VW and SS who explicitly lays out that Edelgard kept Rhea prisoner herself (in order for Rhea to be her insurance against the Slytherins, which would be hard if the Slytherins knew where Rhea was and could off her at any time).

But not AM, which is the only route where Edel pulls that stunt, and she specifically orders the Agarthans to do it to her over Hubert's objections. I'm guessing that between Edel having more time after being wounded at Gronder before the attack on Enbarr, the Agarthans being decapitated with the deaths of Cornelia and Arundel, and her personal vendetta against Dimitri, she sacrificed her principles for the sake of power and the surviving Agarthans went along with it in the absence of their leaders.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Cythereal posted:

But not AM, which is the only route where Edel pulls that stunt, and she specifically orders the Agarthans to do it to her over Hubert's objections. I'm guessing that between Edel having more time after being wounded at Gronder before the attack on Enbarr, the Agarthans being decapitated with the deaths of Cornelia and Arundel, and her personal vendetta against Dimitri, she sacrificed her principles for the sake of power and the surviving Agarthans went along with it in the absence of their leaders.

Eh, maaaaaybe, but if that's the case there's the problem of, you know, Rhea being found alive and not killed by the Agarthans who know where she would be being held, really want her dead and have no reason to leave her alive, while Hegemonegard isn't in a position to stop them cause she's busy with Dimitri. If Rhea was found dead at the end of AM, or never found at all (with the implication being she was killed and processed into Relices for the next time the Slytherins made a claim-the-surface attempt) I'd be onboard with that, but Rhea's survival kinda throws that theory for a loop.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 16, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shinji117 posted:

Eh, maaaaaybe, but if that's the case there's the problem of, you know, Rhea being found alive and not killed by the Agarthans who know where she would be being held and really want her dead, and Hegemonegard isn't in a position to stop them while she's busy with Dimitri. If Rhea was found dead at the end of AM, or never found at all (with the implication being she was killed and processed into Relices for the next time the Slytherins made a surface ploy) I'd be onboard with that, but Rhea's survival kinda throws that theory for a loop.

Considering that by the time Edelgard orders the Agarthans to make her into the Hegemon, Cornelia and Arundel are both dead, I'm content to write that off to the Agarthans' leadership being decapitated and Edelgard more or less seizing control of them for the moment. There has to be some reason that she doesn't become the Hegemon in VW and SS, and I think that's the most plausible, especially given that her attacks seem to be derived from massively amping up the power of her Crests. Given where Crests come from, and how Rhea appears to be so critically injured afterwards that she always immediately disappears into retirement, I think Edelgard ordering the Agarthans to bleed Rhea and use her blood to make her the Hegemon is the most likely explanation.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Considering that by the time Edelgard orders the Agarthans to make her into the Hegemon, Cornelia and Arundel are both dead, I'm content to write that off to the Agarthans' leadership being decapitated and Edelgard more or less seizing control of them for the moment. There has to be some reason that she doesn't become the Hegemon in VW and SS, and I think that's the most plausible, especially given that her attacks seem to be derived from massively amping up the power of her Crests. Given where Crests come from, and how Rhea appears to be so critically injured afterwards that she always immediately disappears into retirement, I think Edelgard ordering the Agarthans to bleed Rhea and use her blood to make her the Hegemon is the most likely explanation.

I mean, the explicit reason why is because she's taken by surprise in VW and SS (and there's also how she probably wouldn't as against Claude/Byleth winning as she is against Dimitri)

SS: With nowhere else to go, the resistance army withdraws to Garreg Mach. Under the guise of surrender, they secretly prepare for a surprise attack on the Imperial capital.

VW: Vastly outnumbered by Imperial forces, it becomes clear that a surprise attack, followed by a short and decisive battle, is the only path to victory. With this in mind, you stealthily approach Enbarr, the Imperial Capital.

While in AM it's a direct, obvious march on the Capital without any stealth or trickery, which'd give Edelgard time and warning to actually set the whole thing up.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 16, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shinji117 posted:

I mean, the explicit reason why is because she's taken by surprise in VW and SS (and there's also how she probably wouldn't as against Claude/Byleth winning as she is against Dimitri)

SS
With nowhere else to go, the resistance army withdraws to Garreg Mach. Under the guise of surrender, they secretly prepare for a surprise attack on the Imperial capital.

VW
Vastly outnumbered by Imperial forces, it becomes clear that a surprise attack, followed by a short and decisive battle, is the only path to victory. With this in mind, you stealthily approach Enbarr, the Imperial Capital.

While in AM it's a direct, obvious march on the Capital without any stealth or trickery, which'd give Edelgard time and warning to actually set the whole thing up.

Exactly, she has time to prepare. And the Hegemon Husk seems to act like a Demonic Beast. Which again begs the question: if not from Rhea's blood, then where exactly did that power come from? Since it acts like a Demonic Beast but seems to preserve her mind and sanity. And we know that she does it over Hubert's objections. I'm not seeing any other plot device that could explain it - even Dedue's transformation in Crimson Flower is just a Demonic Beast if a very powerful one, not something like the Hegemon.

It's consistent with Edel's behavior, too. She would certainly prefer to fight the war cleanly, but she never hesitates to make deals with whoever she has to for the power she believes she needs, because she believes her cause is worth it.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Exactly, she has time to prepare. And the Hegemon Husk seems to act like a Demonic Beast. Which again begs the question: if not from Rhea's blood, then where exactly did that power come from? Since it acts like a Demonic Beast but seems to preserve her mind and sanity. And we know that she does it over Hubert's objections. I'm not seeing any other plot device that could explain it - even Dedue's transformation in Crimson Flower is just a Demonic Beast if a very powerful one, not something like the Hegemon.

I would say that Hegemon's ability to think and speak make it pretty distinct from Demonic Beasts: even special demonic beasts a la Dedue and the DLC one (made up of like 4 different crest-bearer blood so it isn't just "if going beast+have 2+ crests, instead go Hegemon") can't manage that.

Edit: Actually, given how the only monsters you see that can think and talk are Hegemon, Rhea, Macuil and Indech maybe it did involve Rhea, but more in an "let's force a human-dragon transformation" than normal Demonic-Beast stuff. Though that runs into the issue of it being described (IIRC) as an archaic transformation and I'm pretty sure nothing else in the game alludes to how in the War of the Hero there were Hegemons running about. Still, Rhea's survival in that case doesn't make any sense: the Slytherins would 100% have just slit her throat while retreating if they had known where she was. Maybe Edeglard supplied the blood to the Slytherins without letting them know where she was being kept?

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 16, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You forgot maurice on that list

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Flayn's blood's purpose is never stated. Solon says it was part of the experiments in Remire and the Constance/Yuri paralogue (which is the same month) has Myson experimenting on demonic beast transformations. So it maybe might have been that.

The Agarthans have nothing to do with Hegemon Husk. The warlock Edelgard is talking with is an Imperial General. The actual Agarthans on the map just flat-out bail when Myson gets iced which wouldn't be consistent with how they'd want to kill Rhea if they knew she was in Enbarr.

I'm also not sure why Rhea's blood is being considered the catalyst here when the priming force of Demonic Beasts is otherwise Crest Stones which are otherwise in abundance. And the whole purpose of blood is to reduce the chance of Demonic Beast transformation.

Also what the hell vendetta against Dimitri does Edelgard have? She really doesn't give a drat about his rear end.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 16, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

McTimmy posted:

Flayn's blood's purpose is never stated. Solon says it was part of the experiments in Remire and the Constance/Yuri paralogue (which is the same month) has Myson experimenting on demonic beast transformations. So it maybe might have been that.

The Agarthans have nothing to do with Hegemon Husk. The warlock Edelgard is talking with is an Imperial General. The actual Agarthans on the map just flat-out bail when Myson gets iced which wouldn't be consistent with how they'd want to kill Rhea if they knew she was in Enbarr.

I'm also not sure why Rhea's blood is being considered the catalyst here when the priming force of Demonic Beasts is otherwise Crest Stones which are otherwise in abundance. And the whole purpose of blood is to reduce the chance of Demonic Beast transformation.

Also what the hell vendetta against Dimitri does Edelgard have? She really doesn't give a drat about his rear end.

She doesn't have a vendetta against him but he literally hallucinates himself into believing she does on AM/VW/SS. He also has more attachment to her in general since he still has fond memories of growing up with her while she's mostly repressed that due to trauma.

Oddly CF is the only route that his Dimitri relatively sane and in control his entire life.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zore posted:

Oddly CF is the only route that his Dimitri relatively sane and in control his entire life.

Just because he isn't a one-eyed hobo doesn't mean CF Dmitri is sane. He rants and raves that Edelgard killed his parents and sides against her for that reason. On CF Edelgard doesn't start that route by invading everyone and instead reveals the Church conspiracy and publishes a big political manifesto asking everyone to join her, but he starts the war against her (confirmed in dev interviews) because despite knowing the truth he hates Edelgard so much for what he thinks she did (The whole "King of Delusion" thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

galagazombie posted:

Just because he isn't a one-eyed hobo doesn't mean CF Dmitri is sane. He rants and raves that Edelgard killed his parents and sides against her for that reason. On CF Edelgard doesn't start that route by invading everyone and instead reveals the Church conspiracy and publishes a big political manifesto asking everyone to join her, but he starts the war against her (confirmed in dev interviews) because despite knowing the truth he hates Edelgard so much for what he thinks she did (The whole "King of Delusion" thing).

If you are needing to pull from Dev interviews to interpret an actual chronology that happens in-game what does that say about how well the game presents the info you're trying to use to persuade

Like, Dimitri is clearly upset when people use the relics to transform into monsters and is nowhere near as berserk in CF. If you want to argue whether or not the devs meant to present him that way is one thing but that's what actually happens in the video game