Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Not bad, not bad. But I’ll be REALLY impressed if he picks up on the Gaim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Polaron posted:

Wow, The_Doctor picked up on the reference in the Streib's name. That's really surprising.

Why? They're literally the aliens from Communion.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm very curious to see how much foreshadowing the people in the blind thread pick up on when they're not spending weeks or months thinking about the last episode they saw. It seems like that processing time really helped to get some of the subtler details on the first watch.

In particular, I want to see if they start wondering whether the Vorlons are actually as good as they claim to be, or if the revelation at the end of season 3 will completely blindside them.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm in the back half of JMS's biography and he just mentioned how B5 was Casablanca in space and it blew my mind.

Then The Doctor just goes and posts about that on his own accord...

and he just tweets it out

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

Why? They're literally the aliens from Communion.

What is Communion?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MikusR posted:

What is Communion?

Communion

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was randomly poking around the rural California valley where I grew up in Google Earth and, lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm not going there.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If you go back there you will die.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

There's actually a little boutique clothing manufacturer there that specializes in retro-60s hippy clothes.

~~*If you go to Zahadoom, you will dye*~~

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Would be fun to hold a B5 convention there
No Sheridan will come over ever

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

S2E15 - And Now for a Word

Lmfao at this Psi Corps commercial, God I love stuff like this.

Does Amazon's version of "And Now for a Word" have the subliminal message in the Psi Corps commercial? Apparently that was cut out for some international releases and now I wonder which one the blind watchers are seeing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

Does Amazon's version of "And Now for a Word" have the subliminal message in the Psi Corps commercial? Apparently that was cut out for some international releases and now I wonder which one the blind watchers are seeing.

They didn't cut it for the Israeli market, I remember noticing it and rolling the tape of the recording from broadcast a few times to get a good look.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

It wasn’t really subliminal. You could definitely tell something was flashed and could sort of tell what it was if you thought about it. JMS didn’t want to get in trouble so he asked what the time on screen would be to consider it subliminal and then multiplied by 2 or 3’or something.

Still some markets cut it out because they can’t understand satire.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

It wasn’t really subliminal. You could definitely tell something was flashed and could sort of tell what it was if you thought about it. JMS didn’t want to get in trouble so he asked what the time on screen would be to consider it subliminal and then multiplied by 2 or 3’or something.

It's actually one frame longer than was required to be considered subliminal - four frames when the limit was three. Otherwise you're correct, though.

Aardvark is about to reach In The Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum. This is what I've been waiting for.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

JMS says:

quote:

RE: the FCC...what we did in the commercial was totally legit. We researched and found that the FCC considers a subliminal to be 2 frames per second (out of the standard 24). So we made the blip 4 frames total.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I read Communion when it came out (and watched the movie, which was... something), but I think I was the only one of my Nineties viewing group who caught the reference.

I never caught the Gaim reference until now, though. That helmet's going to be my B5 Fedex arrow.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bieeanshee posted:

I read Communion when it came out (and watched the movie, which was... something), but I think I was the only one of my Nineties viewing group who caught the reference.

I never caught the Gaim reference until now, though. That helmet's going to be my B5 Fedex arrow.

Yeah once you know it’s a total :doh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jedit posted:

It's actually one frame longer than was required to be considered subliminal - four frames when the limit was three. Otherwise you're correct, though.

Aardvark is about to reach In The Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum. This is what I've been waiting for.

That's the one where Sheridan finds Mr.Morden (oh, sorry, Meester Mordan!) and interrogates him about his wife?
Good poo poo.

I'm also VERY interested in seeing them get to Confessions and Lamentations soon after....that episode has some....interesting modern day allegories. :stonk:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's the one where Sheridan finds Mr.Morden (oh, sorry, Meester Mordan!) and interrogates him about his wife?
Good poo poo.

I'm also VERY interested in seeing them get to Confessions and Lamentations soon after....that episode has some....interesting modern day allegories. :stonk:

In The Shadow... is the start of JMS's 50+ episode streak. The avalanche has started. It is too late for the newbies to quit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Jedit posted:

In The Shadow... is the start of JMS's 50+ episode streak. The avalanche has started. It is too late for the newbies to quit.

Knives was written by Larry DiTillio, but was originally intended to air before In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum. Either way, Confessions and Lamentations definitely starts it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's insanely impressive he managed to write so many episodes. Even with his flaws like sometimes robotic dialogue, it's a hell of an accomplishment.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

In an attempt to stop the derail in the younger races thread...

I always figured that earthgov viewed B5 as a prestige project and the only reason they even did b5 was because the Minbari got behind and pushed. So they were already primed to not really care. But then once the presidency changes in s1, the next guy basically wants b5 to fail. So of course they're not going to actually make any effort to clean up down below.

And the command crew of b5 had to take a pay cut just to solve a labor dispute for dock workers, it's not like they have the budget to ship tens of thousands (or more) places.

This also presumes those people's homeworlds would even take them back.

And then once b5 goes rogue they REALLY can't afford to gently caress around with the lurkers.

And I don't think space is really at much of a premium, since most people didn't really want much to do with b5 cause they figured it'd just blow up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think they're just making the mistake of looking at the issue logically. You could definitely solve the lurkers/downbelow if you gave a poo poo to put in the resources, but nobody does.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grand Fromage posted:

I think they're just making the mistake of looking at the issue logically. You could definitely solve the lurkers/downbelow if you gave a poo poo to put in the resources, but nobody does.
It's their fault for lurking. The solution is :justpost:.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Basically. Although I think it's more fair to say that those who actually give a poo poo, don't have the means. And the folks with the means, don't give a poo poo or actively encourage it.

I'm kinda surprised Franklin didn't have some bit about actually wanting down below to continue as cover for his underground railroad.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CainFortea posted:

And the command crew of b5 had to take a pay cut just to solve a labor dispute for dock workers, it's not like they have the budget to ship tens of thousands (or more) places.

I don't recall this part, I know that Sinclair redirected part of the military budget.

The lurkers presumably eventually had to go SOMEWHERE, considering the end of the show and all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The lurkers presumably eventually had to go SOMEWHERE, considering the end of the show and all.

That's optimistic, although getting past the cynicism for a moment I imagine you're probably right.

The thing is, though, the lurkers must be doing something or they would starve. We also don't know how many of them there are, except it's a large enough number that Security can't just round them up. So it's evidently the case that some form of grey economy is operating down there, and most lurkers are probably not directly analogous to the unemployed homeless.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
They do. In an early episode one of them (I think the one who turns out to be a telepath) explains that they do all sorts of odd jobs to survive, but it's not enough to really make a life or get off the station.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't recall this part, I know that Sinclair redirected part of the military budget.

I'm not in a place to check right at the moment, but I was pretty sure sinclair's thing was that the earth force people don't get their bonuses or something, as well as a few other cuts.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"Then under that authority, I choose the following means to end this strike: One! I am re-allocating 1.3 million credits from Babylon 5's military budget to begin necessary upgrades of all dockside equipment, and to start hiring additional workers. Two! Two! I am declaring a complete amnesty for any striking worker or guild representative who has committed no other crimes during this period."

Nothing about bonuses or pay cuts, just reallocation of 'the military budget'.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

"Then under that authority, I choose the following means to end this strike: One! I am re-allocating 1.3 million credits from Babylon 5's military budget to begin necessary upgrades of all dockside equipment, and to start hiring additional workers. Two! Two! I am declaring a complete amnesty for any striking worker or guild representative who has committed no other crimes during this period."

Nothing about bonuses or pay cuts, just reallocation of 'the military budget'.

Earlier that episode Sinclair is complaining that they got a raise of the military budget while the workers got nothing.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Watch group just finished "In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum".
One viewer's note: Jesus christ, that was literally like four seasons of lost in 45 minutes in terms of answers.

Second Viewer's note: God drat it, is Zack joining the loving gestapo? Is he really that loving blind to what this is?

They were completely shocked by the Shadows appearance and thats so weird because I am 100% sure they appear in at least one other episode before this. Also Viewer one uhhh "Stans"(?) Vir now, she's started posting Vir fanart on facebook. That whole "I hope your get your head cut off so I can wave at it" moment was well-appreciated, I guess!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

They were completely shocked by the Shadows appearance and thats so weird because I am 100% sure they appear in at least one other episode before this.

The Shadows first appear in Chrysalis, but you don't see them clearly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Watch group just finished "In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum".
One viewer's note: Jesus christ, that was literally like four seasons of lost in 45 minutes in terms of answers.

Second Viewer's note: God drat it, is Zack joining the loving gestapo? Is he really that loving blind to what this is?

They were completely shocked by the Shadows appearance and thats so weird because I am 100% sure they appear in at least one other episode before this. Also Viewer one uhhh "Stans"(?) Vir now, she's started posting Vir fanart on facebook. That whole "I hope your get your head cut off so I can wave at it" moment was well-appreciated, I guess!

Conway played it pretty good. It's basically how people slide into fascism as "hey, its just extra creds, they're not making me do anything different" and then its a series of ramping up and you either risk your life and career to push back or since you're already involved you just go along out of reluctance and/or fear.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

They do. In an early episode one of them (I think the one who turns out to be a telepath) explains that they do all sorts of odd jobs to survive, but it's not enough to really make a life or get off the station.

They also mention in the ISN propaganda episode that Sheridan introduced a series of work programs for the Lurkers.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ribk3MTR3PA found it

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 15, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Don’t anyone DARE spoil anything about that wave or even IMPLY it has any significance. That moment is one of the most satisfying payoffs in television.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

pentyne posted:

Conway played it pretty good. It's basically how people slide into fascism as "hey, its just extra creds, they're not making me do anything different" and then its a series of ramping up and you either risk your life and career to push back or since you're already involved you just go along out of reluctance and/or fear.

From what I remember, once the blonde nazi chick shows up at the station Conway's blatant reluctance is naked on his face, same with the agent cooper look alike: "just tell us that what we heard is true, confirming what we already know" etc etc. Poor Zack.

Doctor Zero posted:

Don’t anyone DARE spoil anything about that wave or even IMPLY it has any significance. That moment is one of the most satisfying payoffs in television.

I of course did not, but I honestly consider the "No Hiding Place" scene to be the more satisfying payoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You're all horribly, hideously wrong.

The best payoff is Bear-bylon 5.