Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

What the hell is villacañas? Probably from something I qouted but I have no idea.

e: It's a town of 10 208 people in Spain. Uh. Okay.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808264&pagenumber=4#post468964428 Thanks to this I now know that quotes without a tag of the person quoted have a different css class than those that do, thanks Radium!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So, I was eavesdropping on our Finance Director yesterday while he was on a Board call and his opinion was that home working had proven its effectiveness and that there was currently no upside in returning staff to the office. (He was also discussing the question of negotiating lower rents with our landlord.)

That's just one anecdote but it supports my feeling that Johnson's appeals for everyone to get back to work are going to garner little support from businesses, who've largely been pleasantly surprised to find that mass home working has had no discernable negative effects on productivity.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

This is an incredible bit of work twisto!
Though I had no idea im apparently obsessed with a guardian journalist, a new statesman journalist, someone called demetrius and whatever a "miurin" and "fleetwoodterryo" are

[edit: and also obsessed with myself, but hopefully that's just a propensity to edit thing...]

Niric fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 15, 2020

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Surprised to learn I’m the only person to have said ‘facefucking’ in these threads but I’ll take it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Pistol_Pete posted:

So, I was eavesdropping on our Finance Director yesterday while he was on a Board call and his opinion was that home working had proven its effectiveness and that there was currently no upside in returning staff to the office. (He was also discussing the question of negotiating lower rents with our landlord.)

That's just one anecdote but it supports my feeling that Johnson's appeals for everyone to get back to work are going to garner little support from businesses, who've largely been pleasantly surprised to find that mass home working has had no discernable negative effects on productivity.

I think a lot of businesses will jump at the chance to downsize buildings and offload overheads for electricity, internet, phone lines etc onto their employees. Bad news for those folks who like the delineation between work and home though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1283298398112755713

TBH I'm so proud of this it's going on the CV.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

chelation
oxnard
libdeeeeems
bercoowwwww
reesmooggg
vulvas

These are just some of the awesome words you'll hear if you subscribe to Bobstarposting!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently Westminster planning to withhold power to control state aid from Wales & Scotland after Brexit transition

https://nation.cymru/news/uk-government-planning-to-withhold-power-from-wales-and-scotland-after-brexit-transition/

Which reminds me, haven't seen Coohoolin lately?

This seems to be a good way to increase support for Scottish independence

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

kecske posted:

I think a lot of businesses will jump at the chance to downsize buildings and offload overheads for electricity, internet, phone lines etc onto their employees. Bad news for those folks who like the delineation between work and home though.

The large corporate I work at spent a fortune buying up every laptop they could find and pushing through infrastructure changes in order to get people working from home as quick as possible, even in jobs that previously weren't possible from home. If everything just goes back to normal with all of us in offices again at the end of the year, that money is pissed away basically, so can confirm they're very definitely looking at what buildings they can get rid of and costs that can be cut by people staying at home now that money's been spent.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The large corporate I work at spent a fortune buying up every laptop they could find and pushing through infrastructure changes in order to get people working from home as quick as possible, even in jobs that previously weren't possible from home. If everything just goes back to normal with all of us in offices again at the end of the year, that money is pissed away basically, so can confirm they're very definitely looking at what buildings they can get rid of and costs that can be cut by people staying at home now that money's been spent.

My LargePharmaCo are finally buckling and giving a lump sum to all the homedrones to sex up our home workcubes. I'm just going to spend it on :catdrugs: regardless, but it definitely seems to signify a shift in thinking from the top

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

my posterwangs are either misspellings (a word which I original misspelled in this post), Israeli politics, mistborn(?), or middle eastern food, apparently. I need to :justpost: more about random UK stuff, I guess.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/15/edward-colston-statue-replaced-by-sculpture-of-black-lives-matter-protester

History being made, gammons getting mad.

quote:

The statue of slave trader Edward Colston was replaced in Bristol on Wednesday morning – with a sculpture of one of the protesters whose anger brought him down.

The figure of Jen Reid, who was photographed standing on the plinth with her fist raised after the 17th century merchant was toppled by Black Lives Matter demonstrators last month, was erected at dawn by a team directed by the artist Marc Quinn.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
1959274628;lianne;crabro;googlesheet;antisemetism;videogaming;ylistref;enfoodening;crème;

I could go for an enfoodening right now :yum:

E: This should be called the goononym index. These are goononyms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's cool, but I also enjoy the guardian putting up a paywall and then saying they aren't putting up a paywall lol.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

That's cool, but I also enjoy the guardian putting up a paywall and then saying they aren't putting up a paywall lol.

They haven't actually demanded money to read the articles yet have they?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You apparently have to register so they can harvest your personal data for advertising (literally their justification) and they definitely won't ever escalate to a paywall.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

This seems to be a good way to increase support for Scottish independence

Purely cynically, I don't think Scotland going independent would affect the Johnson brand of glorious empire conservatism and his electoral coalition as much as it would have done with the more metropolitan Cameron or the strong & stable May. Making Parliament smaller but having a bigger majority is a calculated risk, but which could be spun as perfidious, chippy Scots not appreciating everything Britain has done for them, and I'd be surprised if current tory (or even Labour) voters in, say, Bolsover, gave much thought to Scottish independence when it came to election day.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Do you guys clear your cookies a lot? I only get a soft paywall asking for a donation that you can dismiss the first time I visit?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Presented almost without comment, a spreadsheet showing just how much bollocks you people talk

It's restricted to the top 100 posters of all time and anyone who has posted here in the last two months because who really cares what someone who posted 3 times in the middle of the 2010 election has to say?

A quick description of the methodology and what it all means (if anything). I made a list of the frequency of every single word ever used in the threads, then the frequency of words posted by individual posters. I worked out a (rather shonky, but it seems pretty solid) formula to work out what that posters favourite words were*. I then checked if they were the only poster to use that particular word, which gets shuffled off to its own column (that's posterwang!).

Some quick highlights - unsurprisingly my favourite words are about the internet, east London and motorbikes. Guavanaut and OwlFancier are skewed by being OPs so have poster names in their favs, but I'm confused and worried by "muriatic" and "sexhow". Posters with their own names in their favs aren't egomaniacs posting in the third person, it means they edit their posts a lot (mostly), ronya's favourite words are what you'd expect, and guess what ThomasPaine's second favourite word is?

I've put the frequency of the posterwangs with them because ones with 1 example are normally fragments of URLs that I still can't quite reliably strip out of my corpus.

Anyway the next bit is to use all this to track words coming into and going out of vogue across the entire thread instead of per-poster - I only did this because my test case was my own posts and it was easy just to let it run across a long list of posters.

* Okay it gets a bit complicated, and I'm not entirely sure *how* it works any more, but basically it's a horrifying nested formula that takes into account the word frequency, the amount of other posters who also use that word, and the amount the poster uses that word compared to the others who do - I'm going to come back to this at some point because this sort of trend-spotting is the whole reason I even started this project, it was originally going to be to spot blue-tick words of the day to try and work out who's being briefed by who and when.

One of the first genuine laughs I've had for quite a long time is looking at my line in this. I'm slightly disturbed to find I'm the 31st most common poster.

(Apparently I type way too fast, since my most common misspellings are goign, doign, and mroe. And I spent a lot of time in late 2017 talking about the Junior Doctors' strike, which I already knew)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's been posted on here before but install this:

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

On Chrome or Firefox to completely bypass the paywalls of most of the well-known newspapers. I'm sure they'll add the Guardian to their list if needs be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I should clarify, I am not complaining about anything which prevents me from reading articles in the guardian, I just think it's very funny.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Niric posted:

Purely cynically, I don't think Scotland going independent would affect the Johnson brand of glorious empire conservatism and his electoral coalition as much as it would have done with the more metropolitan Cameron or the strong & stable May. Making Parliament smaller but having a bigger majority is a calculated risk, but which could be spun as perfidious, chippy Scots not appreciating everything Britain has done for them, and I'd be surprised if current tory (or even Labour) voters in, say, Bolsover, gave much thought to Scottish independence when it came to election day.

When the first thing your glorious empire does is lose 8% of its citizens and almost 40% of its territory, people are not going to look to you as a strong leader for the future.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Looking forward to the statue defenders saying actually this statue should be taken down

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Noxville posted:

Looking forward to the statue defenders saying actually this statue should be taken down

It's not a statue it's a terrorist anarchist political statement.

- a statue defending moron, probably.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Jedit posted:

When the first thing your glorious empire does is lose 8% of its citizens and almost 40% of its territory, people are not going to look to you as a strong leader for the future.

But it also reduces the RoUK's biting midge population by 98% so who can say if its good or bad

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Can't remember when I did it, but something a while back told me to email my MP, so I did. Received an email back on Monday:

quote:

Good morning

Thank you for contacting Mr Barclay about the Trade Bill and New Clause 12.

Mr Barclay appreciates your concerns, but does believe New Clause 12 would be necessary, however laudable the aims behind it. There are several reasons for this.

The Trade Bill is a continuity Bill, and it cannot be used to implement new free trade agreements with countries such as the US. Rather, the Trade Bill is designed to enable the free trade agreements that the EU had signed with third countries before the UK exited to be transitioned. The NHS is already protected by specific carve outs, exceptions and reservations in these trade agreements. Ministers have no intention of lowering standards in transitioned trade agreements – the very purpose of these agreements is to replicate as close as possible the effects of existing commitments in EU agreements. Indeed, none of the 20 continuity agreements signed have resulted in standards being lowered.

In future trade agreements the Government has made a clear and absolute commitment that the NHS will not be on the table. Indeed, Ministers have made it clear they will ensure rigorous protections are included for the NHS in all trade agreements to which the UK is party, whether transitioned from an EU context or as a result of future negotiations.

Rigorous checks and balances on the Government’s power to negotiate and ratify new agreements also already exist, including through the Constitutional Reform and Governance Act 2010.

Moreover, trade agreements cannot by themselves make changes to our domestic law. Any legislative changes required as a result of trade agreements would be subject to the separate scrutiny and approval of Parliament in the usual ways.

Thank you again for contacting Mr Barclay on this issue

Kind regards
Katy

Katy Lipscomb
Assistant to Rt Hon Stephen Barclay MP
Member of Parliament for North East Cambridgeshire

[edit] I think it should be "but does not believe" as otherwise, the sentence does not make any sense.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 15, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

It should, in a year or so. Rotating art pedestal.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Patlabor. Two movies involving giant mecha that have absolutely gently caress all to do with mecha

Those are very good and I'm gutted I got rid of my VHS copies as I can't find any DVDs.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

But it also reduces the RoUK's biting midge population by 98% so who can say if its good or bad

As soon as Scotland finds a way of weaponising midges for combat we'll be unstoppable. The reign of terror will be unceasing. Nobody will deny us a referendum ever again.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Pfft. I have a perfect defence against biting insects, I simply use my apparently delicious sister as a human shield.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Midges demand a vote in any referendum due to service. Midges demand referendum on banning anything stopping them from eating human flesh. 97:3 victory. Midges demand referendum on limiting citizenship to protostomia, because how could anything that formed arse first be a citizen? 85:15 victory. Cuttlefish begin to colonize.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Midges demand a vote in any referendum due to service. Midges demand referendum on banning anything stopping them from eating human flesh. 97:3 victory. Midges demand referendum on limiting citizenship to protostomia, because how could anything that formed arse first be a citizen? 85:15 victory. Cuttlefish begin to colonize.

Service Guarantees Citizenship!

(and yes, that is an early Neil Patrick Harris)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

That's a very rude way to describe the SNP.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently Westminster planning to withhold power to control state aid from Wales & Scotland after Brexit transition

https://nation.cymru/news/uk-government-planning-to-withhold-power-from-wales-and-scotland-after-brexit-transition/

Which reminds me, haven't seen Coohoolin lately?

Love it when the Uk government forces more and more people to support independence

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Oh dear me posted:

Pfft. I have a perfect defence against biting insects, I simply use my apparently delicious sister as a human shield.

I take b vitamins and immunosuppresors for Crohns and I went nearly a decade without being bit until an opportunistic mosquito with a death wish decided to get flattened against my front door. Bloodsuckers really detest the smell of both.

I sat next to someone who'd got fleas from a thanet bus at a family gathering a year ago, on a couch that ended up getting thrown as a result. They jumped over me to get to other people. Take your multivitamins.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Is anyone who voted for Keir still posting? lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

it's good but it's not as good as this

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Oh dear me posted:

"Sleep next to a tastier meal" is how i avoid mosquitos when my wife and i are on holiday.

It does become a bit of a race to the bottom though when she starts coating herself in various chemicals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1283344830375112705?s=20

But I'm sure they'll find a way to keep all their dogshit opinion writers