Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Came up with this on my Minilogue XD (but just recorded the midi into Ableton because I don't have a stereo audio interface, so it's not actually the Minilogue you're hearing). Thought it sounded like a cool little tune from a Zelda game:

https://clyp.it/as3kndpy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
are there any good resources for finding user generated patches? Obviously there are billions of different permutations of synth patches but I'm just thinking for some of the more popular semi-modular synths. I'd love to get some inspiration for my Minibrute 2 as I'm still learning my way around the patch bay it has.

This is my current setup, I have it in a place that I'm happy with and have promised myself not to dive into eurorack until I am far more comfortable with what I currently have. I'll probably start playing with Ableton finally as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Can you guess who's the dude on the video doing some absolutely banging dark techno on eurorack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD_uBLfysz0

It's the composer of Frozen's soundtrack

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

MMD3 posted:

are there any good resources for finding user generated patches? Obviously there are billions of different permutations of synth patches but I'm just thinking for some of the more popular semi-modular synths. I'd love to get some inspiration for my Minibrute 2 as I'm still learning my way around the patch bay it has.

This is my current setup, I have it in a place that I'm happy with and have promised myself not to dive into eurorack until I am far more comfortable with what I currently have. I'll probably start playing with Ableton finally as well.

Cool setup. I have that same DrumBrute. I don't like mine. I know it's good if you have a direct instrument out for each of the voices but that is just way too much effort for my use. Not sure how user generated patches for an analog drum machine would be a thing since it's... analog. Good luck with Abelton Live. I paid 500 or whatever dollars for a Windows copy, and no longer using Windows it's just wasted money. $500 is gently caress me money to lose, but I'm going to pay the $75 for Renoise someday soon.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Holy poo poo anybody following Teenage Engineering's latest releases? In the middle of a global pandemic with huge economic downturn they have chose to release:

$80 blank T-Shirt
$180 blank Sweatshirt
$200 clear plastic tote bags.

fuckin' lol. gently caress TE

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The tag on the sweatshirt is on the outside.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

oh my god it's like the awesome John Mayer skit come to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfc5efQBDpY

also I didn't realize how many people were in that skit

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

excellent bird guy posted:

Good luck with Abelton Live. I paid 500 or whatever dollars for a Windows copy, and no longer using Windows it's just wasted money.
I think you can resell it? There's a procedure for transferring a license at least.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

jesus, TE has always had a bit too much of a self-obsessed ultramodern Steve Jobs vibe for me, but the OP-1 was so unique I didn't care that much. I wonder what possessed them to crawl all the way up their own rear end now, of all times.

Like this seems such a bizarre move, do they have a customer base that was clamoring for this? Is it some weird postmodern joke that I don't get? Am I lacking some sort of cultural touchstone that would explain this choice? It just seems incredibly galling and shockingly out of touch for them to sell "workwear" that is only remotely affordable to people who probably don't have to work for a living. I don't know who at TE thought this made them look good in any light. Personally I was saving up for an OPZ but gently caress them. I suppose I could get one used but I'm not sure I even want to do that anymore.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

MockingQuantum posted:

jesus, TE has always had a bit too much of a self-obsessed ultramodern Steve Jobs vibe for me, but the OP-1 was so unique I didn't care that much. I wonder what possessed them to crawl all the way up their own rear end now, of all times.

Like this seems such a bizarre move, do they have a customer base that was clamoring for this? Is it some weird postmodern joke that I don't get? Am I lacking some sort of cultural touchstone that would explain this choice? It just seems incredibly galling and shockingly out of touch for them to sell "workwear" that is only remotely affordable to people who probably don't have to work for a living. I don't know who at TE thought this made them look good in any light. Personally I was saving up for an OPZ but gently caress them. I suppose I could get one used but I'm not sure I even want to do that anymore.

I know they were in hot water for having a nice office or something right after they upped the price on the op 1

dunno why people are getting mad seems like normal capitalism

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If there’s a market for it can you really blame them? It’s not like you need those tee shirts to make a pocket operator work.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

You can resell/transfer ableton and licenses are cross platform afaik. Unless you're on Linux, I guess, then you're out of luck

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya I looked it up before biting the bullet and as far as I could tell you could transfer the license for Live across Mac and Windows

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

the corona quid posted:

If there’s a market for it can you really blame them? It’s not like you need those tee shirts to make a pocket operator work.

I just think it's tasteless. I mean TE has always been a little fancy schmancy and that's all fine and good. It's just, like, the worst time to be releasing this kind of stuff. On one hand they promote the sustainability of their shirts and then charge $170. It's competing ethic systems to me. "Let me make something from sustainable sources (but use a high dollar fashion designer and not tell you how much we're paying back into these sustainable communities) but lets make this ONLY affordable by the rich."

It just sends a completely backwards message.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BonoMan posted:

I just think it's tasteless. I mean TE has always been a little fancy schmancy and that's all fine and good. It's just, like, the worst time to be releasing this kind of stuff. On one hand they promote the sustainability of their shirts and then charge $170. It's competing ethic systems to me. "Let me make something from sustainable sources (but use a high dollar fashion designer and not tell you how much we're paying back into these sustainable communities) but lets make this ONLY affordable by the rich."

Not being able to sell them to anyone but the ultra rich is what makes is sustainable :v:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Anybody have any experience with Twisted Electrons stuff? I was looking at a HapiNES, it seems like it’s up my alley but there isn’t a lot of coverage on them or the company online.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

excellent bird guy posted:

Cool setup. I have that same DrumBrute. I don't like mine. I know it's good if you have a direct instrument out for each of the voices but that is just way too much effort for my use. Not sure how user generated patches for an analog drum machine would be a thing since it's... analog. Good luck with Abelton Live. I paid 500 or whatever dollars for a Windows copy, and no longer using Windows it's just wasted money. $500 is gently caress me money to lose, but I'm going to pay the $75 for Renoise someday soon.

oh yeah, should have clarified, I'm looking for patches for the minibrute 2, not the drumbrute.

I definitely was looking for individual instruments outs to do things like run the clap through echo or whatever... Definitely wanted to get a feel for analogue drum machine and dawless before moving into Ableton, I'll probably see if I can try the Intro edition first or maybe work on getting an education discount.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BonoMan posted:

I'm gonna preface this by saying I agree in the general sense about TE. Their twee *~Lifestyle Brand~* garbage has gotten more and more tedious as their products have gotten more and more useless or impossible to find.

However, the entire M.O. of the sustainable/ethical/organic market is either good people who pay to make sure their poo poo is up to par, and passing the buck to their well-heeled customers, or scam artists fleecing said customers by meeting the barest of criteria for whatever label they're slapping on for marketing.

Given their track record (and this ridiculous release) I'm inclined to believe TE are more of the latter and the OP-1 just happened to be a fluke. But maybe I'm wrong, idk.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm probably close to a TE fanboy, I have an OP1 and two POs and love them to death but the mark up for some stuff is insane. I still think the POs are solid buys, and I really really want to snag some of their IKEA collab lights. But yeah, they've been getting pretty obnoxious about selling like OP1 pins and poo poo. These clothes seem like loving dumb trustfund kid bait.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm probably close to a TE fanboy, I have an OP1 and two POs and love them to death but the mark up for some stuff is insane. I still think the POs are solid buys, and I really really want to snag some of their IKEA collab lights. But yeah, they've been getting pretty obnoxious about selling like OP1 pins and poo poo. These clothes seem like loving dumb trustfund kid bait.

I love my POs. I wish poo poo like this was more widespread (https://teenage.engineering/designs/R), but yeah... they seem to be going backwards for me.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

It's actually a pretty normal price for mid-to-high-end clothing. https://www.blueowl.us/collections/all-products/t-shirts Those clothes tend to be assembled in the first world, sometimes from specialized raw materials also gathered or knit in the first world. That all costs. Then there's the designer & brand premium on top of that. It's definitely not worth your money (you can get US-made t-shirts for <$20), but it's also not like they're way out of line with the market here.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

the corona quid posted:

Anybody have any experience with Twisted Electrons stuff? I was looking at a HapiNES, it seems like it’s up my alley but there isn’t a lot of coverage on them or the company online.

Yes I purchased an AY3. I'm very satisfied with the build quality and sound, but I'm not a big fan of the controls, meaning I use it less than I'd like.

But I've seen good reviews for their products.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MockingQuantum posted:

The fact that you wrote this little essay about it makes you almost as laughable and unbearable as them Jesus Christ

“some postmodern joke”

Reads like a third-string USPOL rant lol

Stan Taylor posted:

you mention that they did a pretty affordable collaboration with IKEA. And the POs are all relatively cheap. They do some affordable, accessible poo poo, and they do some less affordable, less accessible poo poo.

In the grand scheme of “extreme wealth disparity” a $170 t-shirt that a few hundred hypebeast kids buy is french fries compared to people like the Romneys, and even relatively low on the ‘obnoxious lifestyle brands’ pole than something like a SUPREME collab

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno, maybe they're hurting for money. That stuff is probably the best ratio of cost/profit so they went with it.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I got a ko33 for like 40 bucks and while it's kind of neat, it also sucks. I sold it and it ended up coming back to my house in the mail so I still have it.

Cool

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

The fact that you wrote this little essay about it makes you almost as laughable and unbearable as them Jesus Christ

“some postmodern joke”

Reads like a third-string USPOL rant lol

Ehh yeah I accept that I got more worked up about it than it was worth.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Philthy posted:

I dunno, maybe they're hurting for money. That stuff is probably the best ratio of cost/profit so they went with it.

That's kinda how I read it. A "look guys, nothing is launching right now and we need some money to keep the lights on" item.

NGL I started looking real hard at Moog stuff because if there's any synth companies that are not gonna make it though this, it's the small to midsize ones. Yamaha, Korg and such isn't going anywhere, but the Moogs and Elektrons and Teenage Engineering sized companies I could see being most at risk.

Or, you know, Behringer can buy off the remnants.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The OP line is expensive because it's complicated and each is kind of a one-of-a-kind. Their other stuff isn't that expensive in the world of synths, where "expensive" is the default.

$170 for a sweatshirt is a lot of money if you're used to shopping at H&M or whatever. This is positioned as a higher tier line of clothes more akin to APC / Kenzo / CDG Play / Acne. It's "a t-shirt', yes but mid-high level fashion is complicated and prices are largely made up based on what people will pay.

For comparison, an Acne t-shirt can be $175 or more. A Kenzo sweatshirt can be closer to $250USD.

Those labels are more reputable fashion-focused lines, but do they give you clout as a bona fide music expert? No. Do they fit in to your colour blocked swedish-designed aesthetic? No. Should you buy these items? Probably not - if you don't "get it" you shouldn't buy it. My point is there's MUCH worse price tags on similar items, but fashion is a hobby to some people, and to them this might be worth it. I won't be buying any.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Whatever eat the rich

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BonoMan posted:

Whatever eat the rich

Is this actually about corporat ESG or is it about that you can’t afford those shirts? lmao

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I can build a guillotine for less than the cost of one of those lovely t shirts

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

the corona quid posted:

Is this actually about corporat ESG or is it about that you can’t afford those shirts? lmao

No way I'd be in this hobby if I couldn't afford that shirt. Doesn't make it any less worthy of ridicule

Edit: all they claim is it's ethically produced in Portugal using organic cotton. I'd love to know the specifics on it. And I can't imagine what they paid the famous designer. I mean... What did she do? Other than the fact that the tag is inside out there is literally no difference in design from a blank tee from Hanes. Talk about an awesome grift.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 16, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

the corona quid posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but just because someone can afford something doesn't mean they won't complain about the morality of charging a shitload of money for a loving shirt.

Likewise, NOT being able to afford something doesn't mean that someone WILL complain.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The shirt is a absolute rip off and you’re an idiot if you buy one but lmfao if the hill you’re choosing to die on is an $80 T-shirt.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

stillvisions posted:

That's kinda how I read it. A "look guys, nothing is launching right now and we need some money to keep the lights on" item.

NGL I started looking real hard at Moog stuff because if there's any synth companies that are not gonna make it though this, it's the small to midsize ones. Yamaha, Korg and such isn't going anywhere, but the Moogs and Elektrons and Teenage Engineering sized companies I could see being most at risk.

Or, you know, Behringer can buy off the remnants.

Hate to say it, but I picked up a Deluge, in part, because I was scared Synthstrom would disappear.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's an interesting topic to think about. Let's say an H&M shirt is $20. Would you pay an extra 50% for better cotton? For better comfort? What about an ethical production? What if the proportions are slightly different and it looks better on you, or with your other clothes? What if your friends think it's cool and you want to impress them or fit in?

What if you're absolutely crazy about OP-1 and Pocket Operators, and wearing a t-shirt that reminds you of them makes you happy? There's no benefits from wearing a Rolling Stones t-shirt but every fat dad on the planet pays a bit more to be reminded of them when they look in their wardrobe.

How much more different or special does something need to be to quadruple it's price? There are material differences between a T.E t-shirt and something you get from ASOS. There's also ethical and aesthetic differences involved... It's like I said, complicated.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on the shirt, but it's interesting to me that a forum and thread that's very much focused on the specifics, aesthetic and details of audio is completely deaf to the nuances of paying more for something that's special and uncommon, albeit with diminishing returns.

Ultimately, it's luxury poo poo and all luxury poo poo is priced insultingly, because that's largely the point. I hope whatever dummy in stockholm who buys one likes their t-shirt.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I am shook that this thread, of all threads, can't understand people spending money on overpriced poo poo they don't need

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

field balm posted:

I am shook that this thread, of all threads, can't understand people spending money on overpriced poo poo they don't need

Ahah exactly. I was just looking at the modular and thinking; lol no way I'm going to say anything about overpriced stuff here.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

field balm posted:

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

well why not posted:

It's an interesting topic to think about. Let's say an H&M shirt is $20. Would you pay an extra 50% for better cotton? For better comfort? What about an ethical production? What if the proportions are slightly different and it looks better on you, or with your other clothes? What if your friends think it's cool and you want to impress them or fit in?

What if you're absolutely crazy about OP-1 and Pocket Operators, and wearing a t-shirt that reminds you of them makes you happy? There's no benefits from wearing a Rolling Stones t-shirt but every fat dad on the planet pays a bit more to be reminded of them when they look in their wardrobe.

How much more different or special does something need to be to quadruple it's price? There are material differences between a T.E t-shirt and something you get from ASOS. There's also ethical and aesthetic differences involved... It's like I said, complicated.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on the shirt, but it's interesting to me that a forum and thread that's very much focused on the specifics, aesthetic and details of audio is completely deaf to the nuances of paying more for something that's special and uncommon, albeit with diminishing returns.

Ultimately, it's luxury poo poo and all luxury poo poo is priced insultingly, because that's largely the point. I hope whatever dummy in stockholm who buys one likes their t-shirt.

Good post. I don't feel I'm deaf to the nuances of it. I get it. I mean a piece of art is worth more than the price of the materials to make it right? There's a lot that goes into that. So I guess I judge it as a piece of art. The intent, message and output.

The intent is fine... a higher premium piece of garment meant for the affluent customer they're aimed at.
The message to me is where it starts to get tripped up. I feel like the timing is tacky and totally tone deaf. It's called "workwear" and we're in an increasingly destabilizing situation where people that wear "workwear" can't even think of affording this stuff. It's just maybe not the time to release this stuff.
And the output (design) trips me up too because there's nothing to it. If I look at it from an art perspective... it just seems to be a copy of cheap clothes you can get anywhere else. There is absolutely nothing unique to the design. So I wonder why the famous designer? What was her input and why was the output a cookie cutter shape? If there was supposed to be some message in the design maybe I'd buy it a little more. Instead it's "we hired a famous fashion designer to design something that... already exists. But it uses higher quality cotton and 'ethical' practices that we're completely opaque about."

So I'm not saying it *shouldn't* exist... just that the execution is piss poor.