Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thank you! That explains so much. I really appreciate the explanations!

Right now I got some daily quests to try other factions, and i threw together a really stupid blue guy (northern realms!) deck and its sort of crushing the seasonal league. I feel sorta bad about it, but I figure i'll keep playing it until I get a better caliber of players to play again and see who stops me. Thats how ranks work, right?

my current 'mess around with this' right now is pondering if a nilfgard witcher spam deck can work. I've got most everything I want in it, but 2 slots and 27 provisions left. Both trios, geralt, roach, knickers, and a lock theme going.
And must haves from the black-border faction guys?
Mostly aiming for season play here.

I'll revisit the monsters soon! Every time I run into a red player they show neat combos. I ran into one with a shadow of the dead leader power that did neat things, and an absolutely disgusting Ethereal that I managed to shut down. The hand boost power is surprisingly nasty with ethereal too! Thankfully, I shut that down fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Locks might not be the best for the Seasonal mode, as there's not as much reliance on engines; pointslam decks are ruling the day here. Having a couple might be handy against decks with valuable order cards, but even those can easily be taken out by Geralt or Gigni most of the time (since they tend to be 9+ provision units anyway). You can pair them with cards like Vattier or Vanhemar, I suppose, but you might be better off with a Poison focus instead of pure locks to fill out your cheap bronzes.

Good neutral cards for the seasonal would be Geralt: Igni (with all the huge units out there, it's generally a second Geralt of Rivia at the very worst, and can get significantly more value if you get lucky or your opponent gets foolish), Dandelion: Poet (thinning and +12 to any card you play), Onieromancy (just a good card in general if you have the provisions for it; a self-recycling Decree that can also play specials or artifacts), and Matta (a 9-point body in this mode, and draws you your biggest big boy or your Onieromancy). Cleaver's not a bad choice as well for some early damage and removal with a big body. Some little-used units like Gascon and Saer Qu'an can also be amusing in this mode, though not always reliable.

For NG specifically, there are lots of juicy choices. Leo Bonhart is a second Geralt of Rivia, which is always nice in this Seasonal. Damien is harder to remove in this mode, so he can get good value. Vattier is excellent if you are running some locks. Maraal is good as a solo Poison card, as he's also difficult to remove. Letho makes a 10-power copy of another valuable order card, if you're running some. If you're running Imperial Formation, the 9-point Affan is of course a must. Ffion is the best Seasonal defender this month (yet again), thanks to his 9-point base strength plus a free bonus Battle Prep (try to use it on some little bronze Soldier if possible so you don't just make a huge Poison/Geralt target out of poor Ffion). Helge could be good if you're using a bunch of Tactics to fill out your cheap bronze package, and an 8-point Menno to pull an extra one and thin a bit more. Yenvocation is pretty nice as well for stealing a nice big body from your opponent, and it can also disrupt Lippy decks (which are among your most dangerous opponents). Xarthisius isn't bad, with a 9-point body and a potential for a nice boost or a free special play, especially if most of your bronzes are specials. For bronzes, Spotters can be particularly excellent; 4 extra points on the body, plus there's usually lots of big units in your opponent's deck, so you have a good chance for a big boost.

Stuff to avoid: Spies (obviously!). Vilgefortz, despite having a decent body, is not great in this mode; odds of summoning some huge unit (maybe even bigger than whatever you roasted) are high. Tibor is obviously terrible for the same reason, *plus* he's -4 power from the gimmick. Vivienne is redundant in this mode unless your opponent is stacking boosts. Stefan isn't especially great; he is a nice big body, but the high value Tactic he usually copies (Bribery) is not actually good in this mode, as Created/Spawned units don't benefit from the Seasonal gimmick, so you really shouldn't be running it. He's not *terrible*, but there are better options. Sweers is useless in this mode; he can't steal anything at all without setup, since everything is at least 4 power, and with so many big units around, a 6-point Seize swing is really weak anyway. (Similarly, don't bother with Amnesty either...) Obviously cards that are *hurt* by the gimmick like Tortoises and Knights should also be avoided.

Consider running a couple Fortune Tellers or Squirrels if you run into a lot of SK decks; even though they don't benefit from the gimmick, making a couple key units Doomed or just banishing 'em from the graveyard can take a lot of steam out of the most common SK archetypes that will be your biggest threats. Might even be worth considering Xavier if you really see a lot of SK; again, he only gets a couple extra points from the gimmick, but being able to poof Crowmomma, Cerys, and Roach and/or Knickers in one go, or even removing their three best Warrior rez or Second Wind targets, will really ruin an SK player's day.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

How does Igni work anyway? he blows up 20 strength if there's at least 20 strength, blows up more if he's the second card you play?

I think my biggest MVP's right now are Redanian Elites. 11 strength for almost no provisions, and the hate they draw is worth it for even bigger plays.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

TheParadigm posted:

How does Igni work anyway? he blows up 20 strength if there's at least 20 strength, blows up more if he's the second card you play?

I think my biggest MVP's right now are Redanian Elites. 11 strength for almost no provisions, and the hate they draw is worth it for even bigger plays.

Igni blows up the highest strength unit on a row as long as that row has 20 total strength on it, or 35 strength if it is not the first action of your turn. It will blow up multiple units if they all have the same strength also, for example two units with ten strength each would both die as long as they are the highest.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

To reiterate, because Initiative is difficult to get a handle on sometimes: an initiative ability triggers if and ONLY if you have done literally nothing else yet that turn. No cards played, no leader ability used, no charges expended, no orders triggered. NOTHING.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Extremely important when trying to igni

In other news I’ve been running a killer Allgod NR deck. If the opp doesn’t keep frigate in check it’s an autowin

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/1755ac798a9076ab4b6227042f7354f9

Swapped oneiromancy and kaedwini Knight with igni and reinforcements

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 6, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Making a pointless move before doing igni and losing it is a top 3 worst feeling in this dumb game tbh

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I've decided to branch into the Gerome rewardbook tree tree! Are there any real good ways to burn through the Bomb and Spell missions? I'm looking for a way that is cheap on scrap and yet not like 'throw the match for the sake of the quest' tier.

Is this gaunters ultimate challenge thing repeatable after you hit the top rank?

Also, monsters are tricky, I'm learning. They seem very hit or miss. Lots of big units, but they're like 2-3 trick ponies, and if you can predict the tricks they don't do too much. Its been fun to see them from the other side, tho.

Is igni really that crucial? Should you just swap regular geralt for it if you can afford it?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I’ve just been creating gimmick decks playing on unranked. Spells wasn’t too bad using NG. Bombs are a bit tougher.

It’s a grind either way but kind of funny if you gently caress around and win. Mainly because your opp hasn’t a clue what you’re doing

Arena is another way but it takes a longer depending on your draw.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

the_american_dream posted:

I’ve just been creating gimmick decks playing on unranked. Spells wasn’t too bad using NG. Bombs are a bit tougher.

It’s a grind either way but kind of funny if you gently caress around and win. Mainly because your opp hasn’t a clue what you’re doing

Arena is another way but it takes a longer depending on your draw.

Yeah that's basically what I've been doing. Threw together a cheap blue mage-n-spells deck and uh, well, spellweavers and adepts are really mean together. Even went Stockpile, which feels dirty. Pincer maneuver is too good.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

Is this gaunters ultimate challenge thing repeatable after you hit the top rank?

After you finish the quests there's a repeatable "finish a daily quest" quest that gives one RP.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

oh, okay. So the 'complete x quests while supporting faction' quest is meant to be done over a challenge or three? Are these things regular events, not 'get it all done before it goes away?'

I'm rather enjoying how tight provisions can feel sometimes, and the difference 1 can make for a similiar effect. On the other hand, its a little frustrating finding one point to cut. Well designed system!

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 10, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

oh, okay. So the 'complete x quests while supporting faction' quest is meant to be done over a challenge or three? Are these things regular events, not 'get it all done before it goes away?'

Yes, exactly.

TheParadigm posted:

I'm rather enjoying how tight provisions can feel sometimes, and the difference 1 can make for a similiar effect. On the other hand, its a little frustrating finding one point to cut. Well designed system!

In addition it helps with balance tweaks. In the latest hotfix, for example, they made Ethereal one more provision. Without the provision system they'd have to make more drastic changes.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

rydiafan posted:

In addition it helps with balance tweaks. In the latest hotfix, for example, they made Ethereal one more provision. Without the provision system they'd have to make more drastic changes.

Long ago in the before times, there were no provisions in Gwent. Each deck was limited to four Gold cards (the equivalent of current Legendaries), six Silver cards (the equivalent of current Epics), and the rest had to be bronzes (with up to three copies of a bronze allowed in each deck, instead of two). The inevitable result was that every deck of any particular archetype ran the exact same Golds and mostly the same Silvers, and often at least the same dozen or so core bronzes, with just a few being switched up as tech cards in some decks. It also meant that balancing stuff was really difficult; if you made a Gold, Silver, or Bronze that was slightly better than the rest, it'd just end up an auto-include in almost every deck. The provision system is so much better; while there are still some must-have cards in most meta deck archetypes, there's much more flexibility to have golds and bronzes of varying value in the game by giving the more valuable ones a higher provision cost, and you actually have to make tradeoffs if you want to be able to run a bunch of the most powerful golds in your deck.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Been doing some Ranked games finally, and I can confirm that SK Warriors right now are definitely overtuned. 10 for 10 so far, even though I just started out with the deck and have made some dumb misplays. Haven't had any real difficulty with any opposing factions; been winning games by double-digit margins without even playing my last card. (I was really sad in one match when my opponent forfeited and denied me a 27-point Mork + Greatsword combo finisher...) I almost 2-0'd a Spyball deck while trying to squeeze his Ball out in R2, despite being 1.5 cards down that round. SK bronzes are ridiculous; almost all my 4p bronzes are 7-9 points of raw value each in R3, so the Second Wind provision nerf wasn't really all that effective. I'm sure I'll get my rear end handed to me soon enough once I encounter an opponent who knows what they're doing, but SK needs a tweak for sure.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea you can misplay several times and squeeze out a win as long as you keep a GS alive.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Honestly my sole Greatsword didn't even do all that much in most games; it usually got answered or killed or just triggered an instant pass or never got played at all, and I still managed to pull off big wins anyway. The archetype just has so many consistently high value plays that it isn't reliant on one or two particular engines. That one game where I was setting up a huge finisher with it somehow still on the board was the odd one out.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

A buddy of mine sent me a shockingly good Nilfgaard deck that's pre-expansion but works really well. You poo poo out a bunch of crossbowmen and soldiers to win round 1, then round 3 you don't play any units until your last card, which you quadruple buff to pull out what's-his-face. You spend round 3 using artifacts to line up their units for a board wipe with Cadaverine, Invocation, and Scorch so your last play takes it.

You can feel their frustration at lack of targets. My last game my opponent played a Philippa for her single point and no damage. Game before that dude had no targets for his imposter leader ability and all the 4 point units his ball poo poo out poisoned nothing and then died to Cadaverine.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it handles against SK. I have no units to damage.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 15, 2020

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Now you can't go bragging about that and not share a decklist! :argh:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/cc95a9e4a8e5d824f28399da410f356a

I got it from my buddy, but I think he got it from OceanMud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVCzq2Nn5R0

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea that’s a No gg deck even more than most lol

Gonna play it 👹

Speaking of pre expansion decks that work. I’ve had the most success in tier one so far with a simple Passiflora Blood money deck because you’re barely running into bomb heaver

Edit: just put it together and feel like an rear end in a top hat just looking at it. Not sure I can bring myself to play it :lol:

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 15, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Really eating my words on ST. Players have adjusted and I cant seem to beat them at all anymore. Despite every player having the same exact strategy

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Lol skellige is loving silly. 2 cards into the 3rd round you pretty much know you’ll win

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Second Wind is pretty batshit strong. When the whole game is built around card advantage, having a leader ability that bypasses that rule is always going to be insane. Especially when it allows you to play a card for a second time, instead of just playing an additional card. That means that you can play your win condition in round one and not have to worry about not having it in round three. Mystic Echo was the same way, until they nuked Synergy from orbit.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In case anybody's bored and has run out of things to watch on Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, The Peacock, etc. I just got a new computer and figured if I'm going to play Gwent I might as well be streaming it because who the hell cares. I just played for a couple hours so if you want to see that Cadaverine deck, an Ethereal deck, or my Ciri Nova deck in action it's on Twitch. Same username.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I’ll take you up on that. Hopefully I catch you against a banish deck. Those have gotten a bit more sophisticated and my main letsplay watches haven’t ran into any I’ve seen

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I just got back into the game after having not played since Pre-homecoming. I'm having a lot of fun with this assimilate deck. It isnt the strongest deck out there but turning someone's win condition around on them is so much fun.

Unfortunately, about 50% of my matches are against the same extremely difficult to beat SK build and its starting to get to the point where I need to swap decks to compete. :(

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea that’s everyone right now until SK gets an actual nerf. Honestly not sure if they’re fun to play because of the attacking style or because of the clear OP of the deck

Love getting one win before pro and hearing that loving sea shanty music in the queue screen. It’s the best

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 21, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I highly suspect Second Wind will get a provision limit ala Renew and Blue Dream.

They could also just delete Great Swords from the loving game. Or change their ability to "Bloodthirst 1: Boost by 1 at the end of your turn"

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
There already is a Bloodthirst-powered boosty boi, An Craite Warcrier. Besides, Greatswords on their own aren't all that bad; it's the uncounterable one-turn Second Wind combo with Hemdall/Mork/Boar that makes them really OP.

Was playing some Arena today, and was really tempted to pass-forfeit on my next-to-last turn in my last game, as a win was literally impossible, but, well, I'm glad I didn't...

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

rydiafan posted:

They could also just delete Great Swords from the loving game. Or change their ability to "Bloodthirst 1: Boost by 1 at the end of your turn"

Oh, no worries SK has those too! Warcriers are also fun to deal with

It’s not so much the GS as it is all of their bronzes are very strong and most other factions only have one Mork, boar, Tyr or Hemdall ace to throw out

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 21, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I forgot Warcrier exists. I've never seen one.

Are they seeing play at all in the new SK warrior meta, and I've just dodged them, or are they rarely played enough that I don't need to feel the fool?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yes. Yes they are. It’s a cheap way to give you something else to worry about. Trying to figure out how to get them in my deck. But the bronzes are all just so good lol

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Made a Quadruple Phoenix deck today, because gently caress you that's why.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/207d5232fbff6e1322bef2bfd72c0de8

Caranthir/leader/renew to get three phoenixes on the board round one. Push hard to win with thrive package. You either want to win round 1 or if you lose it deplete both hands as much as possible. You don't have to play the fourth phoenix, since you have to play something in round 2 anyway. If you win round 1, bleed round 2 as far as you can. gently caress card advantage, you have 16 points of carryover. The only reason you wouldn't take round 2 to 0 cards in hand is if playing your last card won't catch them so they'd get a free pass (ditto this logic if you're losing round 1). Winning round 1 and bleeding round 2, or bleeding round 1 and winning round 2 both give you a short round 3. 16 points of carryover plus Ozy means victory.

Spoon lady is theoretically in there to protect your big stuff from poison, but feel free to replace her with anything else. She's actually in there just because it was one of my favorite quests in Witcher 3.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 23, 2020

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

That looks pretty fun. I know weather seems to be not great but I might try that and fit some frost nonsense to bleed rounds as long as possible.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It isn't super optimal or anything, but I've done ok with this frost deck: https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/7a093f0eb77c1a95dd085f87c3001b50

Edit: Also, man alive it feels good to play that Cadaverine deck against SK Warriors. "Oh, I'm sorry. Is there nothing there to trigger your Blood Eagle or Great Swords? Have you tried going and loving yourself?"

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 26, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Bedlam posted:

That looks pretty fun. I know weather seems to be not great but I might try that and fit some frost nonsense to bleed rounds as long as possible.

I've had pretty good luck with Dragons Dream lately. its kinda stupid. Mainly in that its basically a 'weather' that hits everything on the row for 3 if you can plan ahead.

Also, some people don't even seem to register what it does and keep filling up their back line.

'what do you mean this frost isn't doing anythi -oh'

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yay pro ladder. Only took the whole fuckin month lol

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

the_american_dream posted:

Yay pro ladder. Only took the whole fuckin month lol

Should have joined the dark side. I'm pretty sure the training AI could make Pro with an SK Warriors deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I was kind of hoping to make pro rank but I only started a couple weeks ago and I think this season is ending. I only made it to rank 5 but I was ALMOST rank 4 until I started playing around with random meme decks that were fun to use but couldn't outplay SK or all the NG decks.

As a response to SK Warriors you now see just as many NG decks loaded with lock mechanics and removal which kind of kills all my fun meme strats. :shobon: