Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the proper utilisation of the beans
:pervert:

e: 274 baked beans would way approximately 220g. Assuming a density of 1.1 g/cm3, that's 200mL, or just under half the volume of a typical human breath.

Breathing beans is probably a bad idea.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Communist Thoughts posted:

This is the Labour plan now though.
Bojo and Cummings are actually somewhat radical in their approach. Cummings even seems to have realised the dread knowledge Corbyn didn't have: parliament is fake and everyone hates them.

Now Corbynism is dead Kier is gonna try to outflank the tories from the direction of establishment credibility and reaction.
It's not a bad idea, bootlicking your way to power plays to his strengths.

Radicalism weaponised against the left and centre is a hell of a drug.

BalloonFish posted:

The gearing up of the culture war, Brexit and the current BLM stuff, has made it really clear to me that some people just have a complete mental block at being able to appreciate that stuff happens in the world because forces and systems, driven by groups of people, make it happen and keep it happening. They think as if the world up to some point in their childhood/adolescence just spontaneously appeared and is 'natural' while anything that seeks to explain that or change it is 'political' - and therefore bad. Literally (small c)onservative thinking.

I made the mistake of getting into an online back-and-forth with someone on a thread just as the pandemic was really getting going and the furlough scheme on the topic of "is this the end of capitalism as we know it?", and they stated that capitalism is 'just what naturally happens when people interact without any external coercion." When I pointed out that capitalism has only existed for a very distinct, and relatively recent and brief, time in the world and there were various systems around before that which also seemed entirely natural to the people who lived within them, and that capitalism was imposed by very deliberate (and often very direct) coercion by those who benefited from it, I got accused of spreading conspiracy theories and was asked which people or organisations 'control capitalism'. And because I couldn't point to a literal International Capitalism Organisation with an HQ and a CEO of World Capitalism who issues specific commands to supress wages, privatise things and neuter trade unions my opinion (that macro-scale amorphous systems impact the world and its people :confused:) was 'lefty claptrap'.

It seems that the right-wing-brained people can think of the world in two ways - "there are no systems and we're all just granular individuals" and "huge but distinct structured conspiratorial organisations which rule over everything". The idea that groups of people interact and affect each other without even knowing it, creating and perpetuating social and economic forces, doesn't seem to compute. It's like the idea that you can only be racist if you literally say you hate people because of their skin colour, or how they default to thinking Antifa is a structured organisation rather than just a ideology/methodology which people and groups subscribe to as needed.

That’s a good question. How do we describe the market economy that predates capitalism in the Marxist analytical sense? Because making stuff or doing things and getting abstract tokens that can be exchanged for other goods or services in return is a thing that can happen without capitalism, and yet a lot of the day to day problems people have are objections to how the market works, not the abstract facts that capital accumulates infinitely via compounding, leading to increasingly unfair distribution of wealth as time goes on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
gently caress whoever it was who told me to play around with a Markov bot, I can't stop giggling at the results:

quote:

I thought I'd say that missing two weeks out and help those who think The Power Of Nightmares as being better than any cyberpanopticon.Gonna hot-glue some safety pins to a podcast as I later found out after seven years.

quote:

Of course this weakness was recognised by politicians and their adventures, Nick.. brexit FOREVER AND FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS brexit.. some...things..

quote:

they'll be fluffy and nice all over, but there are two that follow him and how gender preference is formed.

(These are from loading my own posts as the corpus, obviously).

A few more from random other posters - try to guess who:

quote:

Late Sunday afternoon when I've decided to become a racist I will not improve their electoral fortune.Activists who campaigned for Remain than other Labour members don't want Labour to be a significant number of voters, not those that remain will find themselves bankrupt.Not in this thread often attack me without addressing the jeremies and jemimas at Glastonbury?I'm sure there's a chance of forming a government that has a different colour ramp...?
Pissflaps

quote:

Netflix adaptation apparently fucks it all the time for a gbs post and i'll add 1kg of potatoes for the NEC who decide labours anti-semitism policy?lol meanwhile https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/stat...309665274990592 not sure labour have lost any early election was called gently caress off imoLmao someone put a social distancing notice up on a ‘typical night’ – a single tory MP/minister said anything about themhe's 50?they've having a right wing press will still have access to the constitution. the democrats are basically hosed for somewhere to liveI don't suppose anyone has linked this so far But they’ve lost outreach in many places due to not completely poo poo and its examples at that eventstop being such a lovely loving question on the actionquite a lot because it's absolutely direi was round friends to try and wrangle it next time would be loving stupid to see how even more likely that people have probably died hiding behind cars thinking they stop bullets because of this the main decider of it waiting to throw something at some point anyway.

Jose

quote:

A lot of people in here shitposting about every other species except humans will actually get a decent signal for spotify.

Miftan

quote:

I managed to get me wherever I need to pay for my Christmas presents already Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth

quote:

Either it is a fool's errand; voters will not go that far; he modestly settles for about 40% Let me make this point that Labour's flagship positions on party governance are self-evident; they're not only serialised, they're connected to your account, I think, but I understand its historical origins - Thatcherism, etc - but that it would turn out.

ronya

Gonna unleash this on all posters while I make dinner and put the results up somewhere.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Who else is exciting for Labour's branding changes?! :holy:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:pusheen:

"Late Sunday afternoon when I've decided to become a racist I will not improve their electoral fortune." is perfect for its associated account.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i can't wait until we can all be replaced by robots and be free forever from the hard but vital labour of forums posting

crispix posted:

Who else is exciting for Labour's branding changes?! :holy:

a massive stone tablet with "JOBS" written on it two hundred times

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Markov bot me I'm fascinated.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

gently caress whoever it was who told me to play around with a Markov bot, I can't stop giggling at the results:

lmao thanks for this. Really put me in my place as a boojie vegan.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Miftan posted:

lmao thanks for this. Really put me in my place as a boojie vegan.

When most of the thread revealed they shop at Waitrose during the early days of the pandemic I had the feeling most posters ITT had had a skiing holiday or two

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My wife’s job has gone back to the office and I’m probably going to be at home until next year at this point. I didn’t think it would bother me but I’m already feeling at a bit of a loose end sat on my tod in our little converted office room. I am all out of podcasts already.

We were supposed to be going to Japan in October but lol, looks like I’ve got a potential argument with the travel insurance/expedia on my hands in a month or two instead.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(These are from loading my own posts as the corpus, obviously).

A few more from random other posters - try to guess who:

Pissflaps

Jose

Miftan

ShaneMacGowansTeeth

ronya

Gonna unleash this on all posters while I make dinner and put the results up somewhere.

As of this masterpiece I am regretting my mini effortpost immediately before.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

justcola posted:

When most of the thread revealed they shop at Waitrose during the early days of the pandemic I had the feeling most posters ITT had had a skiing holiday or two

Waitrose was the place to go if you wanted the full lockdown safety experience

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've been skiing twice, once on a school trip and once in the indoor place in Milton Keynes which was surprisingly good.

But then, I've never made a secret of being a bit boogie. I do own a flat after all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jw9JwpT6ixdFH8UHXYD854wQw0aZbLdWyNgQAxfTMGE/edit?usp=sharing

Get your hot fresh posts here.

Didn't really bother curating them or anything, but just scrolling through there's some crackers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've been skiing once with school and once with family. My parents go every few years. I don't think it's actually that expensive unless you go somewhere really trendy. It's a completely miserable experience though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I am all out of podcasts already.

Recommending:

Gammonauts - about all our notorious gammons.
We Hate Movies - Four guys talk about movies.
Casefile - Try crime podcast put together pretty well.
Revolutions Podcast - about, well, revolutions. From the guy who did the History of Rome podcast.
History of English - History of the English language, and the context in which it evolved. Nuff said.
Our Fake History - Exploring the truth behind some of the various historical figures or events, and debunking, or exploring their actual historicity.
Mythunderstood - Podcast discussing Greek (and now Norse) mythology and stories.
Dark Histories - Exploring various true crime, folklore, or stuff that's too good to be true.
They Walk Among Us - British true crime.

If I can think of any more, I'll add them!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jw9JwpT6ixdFH8UHXYD854wQw0aZbLdWyNgQAxfTMGE/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't really bother curating them or anything, but just scrolling through there's some crackers.

Me: "It's the only bugger there, and now we're now having the two officers responsible for overseeing the £200m project, said it was Thatcher's physical form finally crumbling that I can only bend sidewards and forward."

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 15, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

History Comes Inside! posted:

My wife’s job has gone back to the office and I’m probably going to be at home until next year at this point. I didn’t think it would bother me but I’m already feeling at a bit of a loose end sat on my tod in our little converted office room. I am all out of podcasts already.

We were supposed to be going to Japan in October but lol, looks like I’ve got a potential argument with the travel insurance/expedia on my hands in a month or two instead.

You might be lucky and the flights might get cancelled and then the holiday. This happened for me last week much to my relief before the outstanding amount for the holiday was required end of this week!
We booked through an agent and they are doing all the refund chasing for us. (I insisted to my travelling companion that we get the agent to book our flights so they could have the aggro if any.)

Jel Shaker posted:

Waitrose was the place to go if you wanted the full lockdown safety experience

Still is - it's 3 mins walk from my flat. Home Bargains is 1 min walk. Waitrose has the 2m queue outside (though the last few times I've been there's been no one queuing), only 1 person per household allowed in (unless you need assistance to shop), assistants ensuring the till queues are properly distanced, shielding for the till operators, clear face shields for the 'floor' assistants, most of the customers - many masked - doing the '2m dance' - though no one way system thank goodness as half the things I want aren't there so I have to find substitutes. But no masks or shields for sale.

Home Bargains - outside queue but I really don't think the line markings are 2m apart though I haven't taken a measuring stick with me, entire families going in together, very few wearing masks, not much '2m dancing', perspex shields at the tills but none of the staff on the floor wearing masks. Lots of variations of mask packs and shields and 57 varieties of hand-sanitizer for sale.

Never been skiing. Have laughed at friends trying langlauf and ending up head first in snow drifts.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 15, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hey UKMT I've been leveling my garden and covering it in an evening.

It's properly poo poo and in this thread, but I'm at a time.

I'm starting to come shortly after the horse has bolted.. brb, invading France to bring lunch from home but the potential mouth-burn risk is sky high.

Sorry, they're all bloodthirsty goons hell-bent on shooting anyone they can dump collections of photos and videos on the other.

Not bad for a recession-busting feed..

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

Recommending:

Gammonauts - about all our notorious gammons.
We Hate Movies - Four guys talk about movies.
Casefile - Try crime podcast put together pretty well.
Revolutions Podcast - about, well, revolutions. From the guy who did the History of Rome podcast.
History of English - History of the English language, and the context in which it evolved. Nuff said.
Our Fake History - Exploring the truth behind some of the various historical figures or events, and debunking, or exploring their actual historicity.
Mythunderstood - Podcast discussing Greek (and now Norse) mythology and stories.
Dark Histories - Exploring various true crime, folklore, or stuff that's too good to be true.
They Walk Among Us - British true crime.

If I can think of any more, I'll add them!

My current squeezes (beyond the ones already in the OP and that list):
Knowledge Fight Two guys drink novelty beverages and talk about Alex Jones (the thick-necked conspiracist, ont the One Show host). They seriously put a lot more effort and research into this than Jones does into his actual show, and somehow manage to make some very not-funny stuff very, very funny.
Behind the Bastards - Writer and warzone journalist Robert Evans dives into the lives of history's various bastards. Also did a spinoff, "Behind the cops", about the history of policing in the US.
QAnon Anonymous - all about QAnon and affiliated conspiracies and scammers

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Hey UKMT I've been leveling my garden and covering it in an evening.

It's properly poo poo and in this thread, but I'm at a time.

I'm starting to come shortly after the horse has bolted.. brb, invading France to bring lunch from home but the potential mouth-burn risk is sky high.

Sorry, they're all bloodthirsty goons hell-bent on shooting anyone they can dump collections of photos and videos on the other.

Not bad for a recession-busting feed..

There needs to be a UKM(arkov)T, because I tried to read that and thought I was having a stroke.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

loving hell

loving hell

loving hell

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh man, mine are wild.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1283475433128960000

Somebody seems extremely spooked not to have their placeman in charge of the intelligence committee.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

quote:

In addition, after independence, Scottish politics will probably be emboldened.. it's anecdotal i know would work, mostly because it makes you an object of pity to be shown to the soundtrack of Margret Thatcher's horrid screaming CoolCab hosed around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 12, 2016

lmao

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Beefeater1980 posted:

That’s a good question. How do we describe the market economy that predates capitalism in the Marxist analytical sense? Because making stuff or doing things and getting abstract tokens that can be exchanged for other goods or services in return is a thing that can happen without capitalism, and yet a lot of the day to day problems people have are objections to how the market works, not the abstract facts that capital accumulates infinitely via compounding, leading to increasingly unfair distribution of wealth as time goes on.

I think you'd benefit by reading more Marxist stuff because they do go into the various class structures and their economies before capitalism and the role money and markets played in them. In short the ruling classes had non-market ways of extracting surpluses from the exploited class so markets were filled with things the traders had gotten left over from what they made themselves or were selling things to get money to buy other things rather than to make profits. Professional traders were travellers because the only way they could make extra money consistently from trading was taking things to where they weren't normally made. Usury existed but the money lenders were never respected even if they were rich and often had pretty dangerous existances. Money (meaning gold) existed because it was universally accepted so when groups from well outside the usual class relationship came on the scene they could have something to trade in rather than wasting time bartering goods.

The market economy didn't exist, even though markets did, which is why there's economic strands like market socialism because the problem is private property and capitalism not the act money exchanged for goods. I'm not a market socialist but I see what they're getting at.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

loving hell

loving hell

loving hell

Would you say I got here right in your mind?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

quote:

In addition, after independence, Scottish politics will probably be emboldened.. it's anecdotal i know would work, mostly because it makes you an object of pity to be shown to the soundtrack of Margret Thatcher's horrid screaming CoolCab hosed around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 12, 2016.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Somebody seems extremely spooked not to have their placeman in charge of the intelligence committee.

Starmer whittling away at that majority extremely forensically

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

The N in ANC stands for Follow Back Pro EU.

Coohoolinbot winning so far.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Went looking for Weetposting, instead found

ThomasPaine posted:

Agree with most of the empire.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Starmer whittling away at that majority extremely forensically

I mean, stealing the chair of the intelligence committee like that is a pretty neat feat, provided Lewis gets to keep his job.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Why are sandwich shops exempt from the face mask rule?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Party Boat posted:

I like the crossword :shobon:

I only read it for the cartoons. No, seriously these days.

BoJo throws a strop as attempt to impose failing Grayling flops.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, stealing the chair of the intelligence committee like that is a pretty neat feat, provided Lewis gets to keep his job.

That's an interesting one, because CUK established the precedent that if you leave a party you lose your committee seat, and the wording here does suggest they've actually chucked him out of the party rather than just withdrawn the whip.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Starmer says he's going to meet bereaved people, Spaffer replies with an underpants joke.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obriens-reaction-bojo-underpant/

quote:

This was James O'Brien's reaction after the PM made a joke about underpants in response to a question about bereaved families.

Speaking during Prime Minister's Questions, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer told Boris Johnson he will be meeting with a group of bereaved families who lost loved ones to coronavirus and want assurance there will not be a second spike.

The Prime Minister responded that the Government will do "everything in our power to prevent a second spike of this epidemic", including creating a track and trace system and investing significantly in the NHS.

He accused the Labour leader of yo-yoing between support and dismissal of the government: "He needs to mind which brief he is going to take today because at the moment, Mr Speaker, it looks like he's got more briefs than Calvin Klein."

Boris Johnson responds to question on bereaved families with underpants joke
SharePlay Video

James asked LBC's political editor Theo Usherwood: "Just do double check did he make his underpants joke about bereaved families?"

Theo Usherwood explained the PM did but it was during an attack on the Leader of the Opposition to be more constructive in working with the Government. opposing Government policy called calling on him to return to being more constructive.

"Rather than meeting with the bereaved families who are worried that their loved ones' deaths are going to be swept under the carpet?" asked James.

Theo confirmed this was indeed the case, explaining the Calvin Klein joke.

"No I understood the joke I was just clarifying whether he made it in response to a point about dead people."

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
even only bots understand ronyaspeak

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chuka Umana posted:

Why are sandwich shops exempt from the face mask rule?

Because Gove was photographed coming out of Pret without a mask on.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Me: "Then again, they also managed the amazing trick of changing into Andrea Leadsom e: I missed the opportunity to see Pissflaps as high performance art, because there were things said I've never had rogue purchases or the like just before Christmas."

My GOD

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goddamnedtwisto posted:

These are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Not gonna lie this recession makes me want to look up old videos from the early 80s, the last time there was 12% unemployment.