Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
One of the guys in the room brought it up to me, I thought he was talking about it being static until I touched it. I have gotten nipped at by 120v AC a couple times before, you can feel the voltage oscillation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

One of the guys in the room brought it up to me, I thought he was talking about it being static until I touched it. I have gotten nipped at by 120v AC a couple times before, you can feel the voltage oscillation.

This is very true. It's a strange vibrating sensation, but definitely 60Hz.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

lol no your boss is going to get you killed.

This.

Stop touching things you already know are live with electricity.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

This.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

This.

What if they're Nitro from Down Periscope?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

This.

Chev Chelios looks upon this post from heaven and scoffs.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

This.

No

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
How can I tell if it's live without licking it? I'm not a scientist.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ah, the 9v battery test

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qcnpckFI1C1s1ddrj.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qb7i6yYFem1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qb5zxtTOqc1s1ddrj.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qbxnvpRn1q1r0uzl6.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sex Skeleton posted:

Ah, the old fossil/pottery/rock test.

If you lick it and it feels sticky, it's a fossil.

If you tap it against your teeth and it hurts, it's a rock.

If 'no' to both of the above, it's pottery.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Sex Skeleton posted:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well claystone is still a rock and could easily be chewed up, if you felt like it. Also, chewing it is the best way to determine the difference between claystone and siltstone in the field, because the hydrated phyllosilicates that make up claystone will crumble, but the 1/32nd of a mm framework silicates that make up siltstone will crunch between your back teeth.

Anyway.

Have a saw stop filmed at 19,000 frames per second and witness how it stops so god drat fast that the hardened steel teeth break off the blade.

https://giant.gfycat.com/MarvelousFineEchidna.mp4

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sex Skeleton posted:

Scientists (especially chemists and geologists) are usually the people who do lick things.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Memento posted:

Have a saw stop filmed at 19,000 frames per second and witness how it stops so god drat fast that the hardened steel teeth break off the blade.

https://giant.gfycat.com/MarvelousFineEchidna.mp4

cemented carbide

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I wish to return this hotdog slicer.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

plum give out

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Memento posted:

Anyway.

The teeth broke because it's a dado set and the other blade or chippers kept rotating enough to knock the other teeth off.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MutantBlue posted:

The teeth broke because it's a dado set and the other blade or chippers kept rotating enough to knock the other teeth off.

That's cool, I didn't know that.

Here's some poo poo you don't see every day.

Undetonated commercial explosives found by tourists in bushland near Norseman, Western Australia

quote:

Trekking down a tourist trail 20 kilometres outside Norseman, in Western Australia's Goldfields region, a couple were shocked to find explosives scattered around the area where they had stopped for lunch.

The couple alerted Shire of Dundas CEO, Peter Fitchat, who went to investigate the scene.

There he found around six undetonated plastic explosives scattered on the ground, a detonation cord wrapped around a tree, a detonator and a product called Pentex booster, designed to be used with other explosives.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That doesn’t look like the kind of tree that takes explosives to deal with.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Thats probably what the boss said to, which is why its still there!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

Says you.....

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/BRBLFfO.mp4

Tugboat operator hauls rear end to prevent crash.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tugboats are aquatic forklifts, if you think about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cartoon Man posted:

That's good poo poo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's a tugboat captain until the real tugboat captain shows up

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Not an empty quote

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tug life :snoop:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCsD6-Ep37f/

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

That sick drift tho

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Platystemon posted:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Everyone's a tugboat captain until the real tugboat captain shows up

The truest tugboat captain has already been found
http://www.rioleo.org/mv-cahaba.php

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HardDiskD posted:

That sick drift tho

Tugboats (and even more so modern tugboats) don't care one wit about your fragile "forward" and "backward" and "turn" sensibilities and will go any god drat direction they please

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

Tugboats (and even more so modern tugboats) don't care one wit about your fragile "forward" and "backward" and "turn" sensibilities and will go any god drat direction they please

Tugboat thrusters are nuts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am reminded of a cool tug.

quote:

Near the mouths of the intake channels of Old River Control, the Corps maintains another towboat, smaller than the Mississippi but no less powerful—a vessel on duty twenty-four hours a day and not equipped with white couches, wall-to-wall windows, or venetian blinds—the name of which is Kent.

Kent is a picket boat. It defends Old River Control. With its squared bow and severed aspect, it appears to be a piece of wharf that loosened like a tooth and came out on the river. Kent’s job is to catch, hold, and assist any vessel in trouble. If barges break loose upstream and there is insufficient time to tie them up, Kent is supposed to divert them. Technically, it is a twin-screw steel motor rug, eighty-five feet long, with two nine-hundred-horse diesels that can start at the touch of buttons. (Compressed air makes that possible.) It cost two million dollars and differs from most river towboats only in its uncommon electronics—the state and variety of its radar, the applications of its multiple computers. In addition to the on-board radar, two radar beams sweep the river from the bank at stations four miles apart, and anything that reflects from these beams appears on a screen in Kent. If a tow rig is moving at the speed of the current, an alarm goes off, for the coincidental speed suggests that the rig is without power. Kent can tell this eight miles away.

Fifteen miles up the river, in April of 1964, twenty barges full of ore were tied to the bank and left there unattended. Eight of them broke free. There was no picket boat then. As a functioning valve, the control structure at Old River was nine months old. As the ore-laden barges drifted near, they were drawn away from the Mississippi, sucked into the structure by the power of the Atchafalaya. One of them plunged through the gates and sank on the lower side. Three sank in front of the gates and effectively closed the structure. A standard barge is a hundred and ninety-five feet long. Water piled up. Weeks went by. Much of the time, the difference in water level between the Mississippi and Atchafalaya sides was thirty-five feet, a critical number that resulted in damage and “threatened the integrity of the structure”—the Corps’ way of saying that it might have been wiped out.

Today, it is illegal to tie anything to either bank of the Mississippi within twenty upstream miles of the structures at Old River. Every approaching vessel has to radio Kent and, as Dugas puts it, “say what he is, who he is, and if he has a red-flag product.”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1987/02/23/atchafalaya

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

They don't seem to care too much about keeping the deck above the water as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l0Oja_rm0s

They say a tugboat can smell salvage from 200 miles away, then they become the fastest ship in the ocean.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

In Soviet Russia, tired gets you!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Imagine if those pathetic forklifts could move like tugboats.

You're standing there in the building materials aisle, trying to decide if you really want marginally-B-grade plywood, or if OSB will do for your man-cave bar. You hear a slight hum in the distance, closing. Suddenly, at the end of the aisle, you see it: a forklift. "It's okay," you think, "It's just passing by, it hasn't seen me." The forklift continues to zip past the aisle, but just before it disappears behind the end cap, it suddenly stops. Before you can fully process what's happening, it reverses, shrieking out its horrific hunting call, "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP." Still, it's not looking down the aisle, so it hasn't seen you. You begin to sweat. In part because you still haven't decided between the plywood and OSB, but mostly because you've heard tales of what a true forkfuckler can do. And then it happens: the forklift begins to move in a most unnatural way, it simply begins...sliding, sideways, directly down the aisle toward you. There was no warning, no way to tell where it was going, until it was too late. As the forks snag pallet after pallet from the high grade yet poorly assembled warehouse shelving, it begins to list, its rear ballast section dipping below the surface of the freshly mopped concrete floor. This doesn't seem to bother the forklift, in fact, it only seems to enhance the determined slide toward you, as you stand, paralyzed with fear. At the last second, without a single change in trajectory or speed, the forklift begins to spin to face you, its polished teeth, each nearly as long as a man is tall, glinting in the insufficient lighting. "This is it, this is the end," you think to yourself, unable to even voice the words aloud. " At least it'll be a quick death." Without warning, the forklift halts directly in front of you, its macabre dance nearly at an end. Without pretense or ado, the forkfuckler steps down from his ghastly chariot, his company branded vest mocking you. Eyes devoid of life, he asks, "Need any help with that?" as if you have any say in your destiny now. "I'll take a sheet of the 3/4-inch B grade, thanks" :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

Imagine if those pathetic forklifts could move like tugboats.

They can!