Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's the most 'had to be there' anime of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I was in college when it came out and I think I was like the only member of my group of anime nerd friends not hugely into it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI56z5C2elc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wId7utadqgk

the music for the anime was all really good. It was done by the Evangelion/Bleach guy. I bought the OSTs to listen to while reading the manga.

The mangaka passed away a year or two ago now, sadly. He had a really nasty disease.

Yeah, it doesn't hurt that even though it's very much defined by pre-bust Japan 80s trends the music is uniformly fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHBABuuGDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3drrfoe0r8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wId7utadqgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQXlyOwxiqY

Zerilan posted:

Had never heard of KOR until just now but those gifs look cute and I want to go read/watch it now.

The two Discotek blu ray sets in 2019 that comprise the entire series are really high quality, but most of it can be watched online as well. Of particular note is the KOR Movie ("I Want To Go Back To That Day") that caps the whole story off and always struck me as nothing short of profound. I think KOR might be one of the few anime series I've seen which has the guts to just...end. It's really beautiful, but also brutal.

Additionally, the manga and anime have the same characters and premise but follow somewhat different arcs. I think a recent reprint/retranslation of the manga was done in 2015-2016?

Anyways, thanks for listening thread.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the cultural impact of haruhi was something it could only have had in the moment of its original airing but the craft put into haruhi is still impressive to this day, it's a legitimately well-made show with lots of parts that are still fun to watch. it's just not a cultural touchstone anymore and there are way more options now

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

It's a shame they won't adapt more of the LNs though

I think it had something to do with the Aya Hirano stuff?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'll always have a soft spot for the Ace Attorney spoof episode.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think there's any specific reason anyone who doesn't make decisions about making anime at kyoani can really name

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zeether posted:

It's a shame they won't adapt more of the LNs though

I think it had something to do with the Aya Hirano stuff?
It was just eventually unnecessary because the OG series accomplished its merit with flying colors: Sell stuff (light novels/manga/merch/etc). Hell, the novels were still selling fine up until the final volume was localized in, what, 2013 or 2014?

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I remember Haruhi TV being a mixed bag, but the movie was incredible. Taking the time to watch all the rest of it and then skipping the movie is doing such a disservice.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
One series I remember watching fondly but don't see much talk about is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

its definitely well liked on here, there's just not a whole lot to talk about an old gag comedy series

we just had kakushigoto last season so it came up a bit

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

It was just eventually unnecessary because the OG series accomplished its merit with flying colors: Sell stuff (light novels/manga/merch/etc). Hell, the novels were still selling fine up until the final volume was localized in, what, 2013 or 2014?

I thought the series was still unfinished.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There were a couple of short stories released in magazines and such, but overall the mainline series has been pretty much done since The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya came out in 2011.

Like unless Tanigawa decides to revisit the series a-la Kanzaka with Slayers, we can put the check on SOS-brigade being inactive.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i cant believe they all died rip

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/george_10g/status/1283364179924008962

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

haruhi is definitely still worth watching

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also if nothing else there is a lot of worth to the individual episodes of endless 8 artistically

i don't blame anyone for wanting to skip them but kyon breaking the cycle finally is a great payoff

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The dub outtakes for the movie are hilarious

"what's your name" "Crispin Freeman"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zeether posted:

The dub outtakes for the movie are hilarious

"what's your name" "Crispin Freeman"

Whatever happened to Crispin Freeman, I swear I haven't heard him in a dub since Hellsing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Whatever happened to Crispin Freeman, I swear I haven't heard him in a dub since Hellsing.
He's doing voiceover classes now I think? Also his anime mythology stuff which is really cool, I went to one of the panels once and he talked about the Utena movie and the symbolism behind it

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Wark Say posted:

Like unless Tanigawa decides to revisit the series a-la Kanzaka with Slayers, we can put the check on SOS-brigade being inactive.

He probably doesn't need to work now or ever again.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sinky posted:

He probably doesn't need to work now or ever again.
I still remember reading an interview with the Welcome to the NHK author and how he still had to deal with issues concerning his inability to leave his house and how he still had to deal with the hikikomori life.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zeether posted:

He's doing voiceover classes now I think? Also his anime mythology stuff which is really cool, I went to one of the panels once and he talked about the Utena movie and the symbolism behind it

He's also been doing the voice of Kotomine since Fate/Zero and he played the antagonist of Promare.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

On the topic of classics though, I don't understand the appeal of Tenchi Muyo or Slayers, both of which I watched after protracted recommendations and discussion on internet forums.

Although I admit to watching Tenchi in the 90s, it's not a very good series in my opinion (but I watched a lot of it, nevertheless). There are literally five different series with some common characters and some lore but they share almost none of the plot, with few exceptions. And the movies may or may not be canon.

If you find the first movie on its own in a shelf and there's literally nothing else to watch, it might be good to try it.

If you want to experience utter confusion, watch the 3rd movie in its entirety. Bonus points if this is the first Tenchi you've ever seen.

EDIT: adding context

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 15, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen Slayers, try one of the movies first before going into the series. Each movie is more or less self-contained so it tends to be more enjoyable.

Although the movies and the tv series are all canon, keep in mind that the movies tend to take place before the series. So one of the prominent movie characters Naga doesn't actually appear in the tv series at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, she KINDA does in one of the later seasons but it's complicated.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Had never heard of KOR until just now but those gifs look cute and I want to go read/watch it now.

The anime is quite good, it's a romcom that ends quite definitively and covers all the emotional fallout that entails on top of being funny and creative

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Speaking of 80s I started watching Moeru! Onii-san which is quite fun so far. The whole series is on youtube subtitled by a legend of fansubbing who has been around since the days of VHS fansubbing and came out of retirement for who knows what reason

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kwyndig posted:

Aside from anime stuff he does more western animation roles now, like Arsenal/Red Arrow in Young Justice and more I'm too lazy to look up. He's come a long way from Zelgadis.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

when will the might gaine subs finish

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Aurora posted:

when will the might gaine subs finish
I ask myself this every day

I can't suffer through the HK ones

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Aside from anime stuff he does more western animation roles now, like Arsenal/Red Arrow in Young Justice and more I'm too lazy to look up. He's come a long way from Zelgadis.

I was legit wondering about what he's been up to just earlier today, although t was Xenosaga that made me think of him. I was trying to think of "Whee Are They Now"

Lia Sargent - the English voice of Shion in Episode 1 and 3, ad a pretty common voice to hear in dubs of the late 90s/early 2000s - just t kinda vanished after a while,at least to my knowledge. Xenosaga Episode 3 in 2007 was the last thing I heard her in.

I dunno what happened to several of the Xenosaga voices. I haven't heard Bridget Hoffman in anything recent, either. That lady is crazy talented. I still can't believe KOS-MOS was Miaka in Fushigi Yuugi. I can hear Solid Snake in Tamahome but KOS-MOS and Miaka? Not even vaguely alike.

starbucks hermit posted:

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen Slayers, try one of the movies first before going into the series. Each movie is more or less self-contained so it tends to be more enjoyable.

Although the movies and the tv series are all canon, keep in mind that the movies tend to take place before the series. So one of the prominent movie characters Naga doesn't actually appear in the tv series at all.

I watched the series with Copy Rezo and where the final villain was the super powerful evil kid. I didn't hate it or anything, I just wasn't wowed as so many people I knew at the time were. They read all the LNs and talked all about how Lina was summoning the "lord of Nightmares" with her one move and LoN is the strongest thing ever....

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, she KINDA does in one of the later seasons but it's complicated.

she also appears briefly in the 2001 movie which happens between seasons 2 and 3 iirc, but never meets the gang because :laffo:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

I watched the series with Copy Rezo and where the final villain was the super powerful evil kid. I didn't hate it or anything, I just wasn't wowed as so many people I knew at the time were. They read all the LNs and talked all about how Lina was summoning the "lord of Nightmares" with her one move and LoN is the strongest thing ever....

Sorry. I was not really recommending any of this to you since you already watched one of the seasons.

I watched the first three seasons but I can't seem to find the effort to watch the final two. They're such slogs. The first season, however, sets a great tone and pace and makes it easy to enjoy season 2 and 3.

I really hope Lupid the 3rd: The First gets released in the US sometime this year. TMS had put out one of the movies on Youtube for free for a limited time and it really shows how timeless the series is.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
are the op songs for tanya the evil and pop team epic done by the same band

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GKIDS announced the First dub cast today, so they're definitely set to release it this year. The real question is whether they'll do their usual theatrical release, go for an online premiere, or just go straight to BD and digital.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

scary ghost dog posted:

are the op songs for tanya the evil and pop team epic done by the same band

No, PTE is Sumire Uesaka. Tanya the Evil is sung by Maeshima Mayu, the vocalist for Myth & Roid, the same band that did the opening for Cautious Hero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMRES9sp2Ns

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Julias posted:

No, PTE is Sumire Uesaka. Tanya the Evil is sung by Maeshima Mayu, the vocalist for Myth & Roid, the same band that did the opening for Cautious Hero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMRES9sp2Ns

figures. they sound very similar but pop team epics op is clearly significantly better

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

scary ghost dog posted:

figures. they sound very similar but pop team epics op is clearly significantly better

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The booklet that came with the Megalo Box blu ray is super nice. Full of concept art and interviews and such