Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot it was actually Kristen Bell.

She was too good for Assassin's Creed.

Yeah she got out while the getting was good lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, I recognize 1 and 3, and I assume that 5 is either from Black Mesa (the game, I mean) or from HL: Alyx, but where the hell are chucklefucks 2 and 4 from? :stare:

Dreamcast and PS2?

From left to right: HL1 PC, HL1 PS2, HL2, HL1:Source HD, Alyx

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RandomFerret posted:

From left to right: HL1 PC, HL1 PS2, HL2, HL1:Source HD, Alyx

I was close!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
kinda of a reach but does anyone know about any deals on DQ11? i'm feelin a replay and want to check out the switch added content, but as I already own it on steam I'm kinda hesitant to drop another 60$

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Relax Or DIE posted:

kinda of a reach but does anyone know about any deals on DQ11? i'm feelin a replay and want to check out the switch added content, but as I already own it on steam I'm kinda hesitant to drop another 60$

You can probably get it for $50 in a Walmart because they never advertise the $10 off

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/dragon-quest-xi-s-echoes-of-an-elusive-age-definitive-edition

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Hand Row posted:

Paper Mario seems to be a bit much for my kids age 4 and 6, so I am thinking about some previous releases. Thinking Yoshis Adventure, Captain Toad or Luigis Mansion. Ideally a game where I rarely have to do hard parts for them like I do for Mario Odyssey.

Captain Toad's pretty easy and chill. It's probably your best bet among those three.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stev posted:

Yeah I don't get why "playing as a line of Assassins throughout history" wasn't enough on its own. They could still have had connections and some meta elements between the games, but making it a quasi-sci fi Dan Brown thriller was just a bizarre choice.

I maintain that the framing device plot doesn’t have to be any more involved than the opening sequence of Robot Chicken, just have a mad scientist grab someone randomly off the street, strap them into the machine, and play through their ancestral memories.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sad Panda posted:

Got through sequence 3 of Black Flag. Seriously what is the point of this nonsense Animus stuff? To go from the engaging Du Casse sequence to that is such a bizarre design choice.

Genetic memory

Jazz hands

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Regy Rusty posted:

Call Kristen Bell by name you fuckers she's cool

sorry brah i dont know any VAs by name except john truitt

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hand Row posted:

Paper Mario seems to be a bit much for my kids age 4 and 6, so I am thinking about some previous releases. Thinking Yoshis Adventure, Captain Toad or Luigis Mansion. Ideally a game where I rarely have to do hard parts for them like I do for Mario Odyssey.

Mario Maker is also an amazing choice because not do you have infinite easy levels made by randos, you can make levels specifically for them as well if you want

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Len posted:

You can probably get it for $50 in a Walmart because they never advertise the $10 off

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/dragon-quest-xi-s-echoes-of-an-elusive-age-definitive-edition

thanks, yeah this is kind of what i figured so i just have to get the gumption to go to a walmart, and honestly i might just spend the ten extra dollar for a digital copy AND not having to put on pants

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I got Ring fit today, got a good workout in that lasted about half an hour. I was exhausted and drenched in sweat. Burned enough calories to wipe out one double stuffed oreo. Good game! I'll stick with it, although some things were hard to see in the 2nd world because of my declining eyesight and small screen (using an old pc monitor rather than a real tv).

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 16, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hand Row posted:

Kirby Star Allies will practically play itself. Has tons of collectibles to keep them busy too and harder difficulties if they ever get bored.

I would also suggest DK: Tropical Freeze. Some people may find it tough, but I think it's attractive and fun enough (and generous enough with Free Lives) that a child with infinite time will happily struggle through it. Also it has tons of collectibles. It's the perfect equivalent to me cutting my teeth on DKC 1+2 when I first started playing video games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I wonder why Nintendo won't just release a quick and dirty port of Paper Mario 64 and TTYD alongside origami king, or just in general, at like $30 and $40 a pop? The effort wouldn't be trivial but its definitely doable, Sony and Microsoft are kings of hashing out 1:1 or barely upscaled ports and I absolutely adore them for this. It's not like they don't also crank out the occasional full remake like Nintendo. Hell, we're STILL waiting for stupid obvious ports like 3d world.

And third party companies are more than happy to unload their back catalogues on the eshop so cmon Nintendo get with the program

Do you guys feel like they desperately need a competent business major or two over there? Or maybe they are happy with the amount of money they're already printing and don't care about even more potential sales, that seems feasible to me too

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 16, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think Nintendo is just oddly unenthused about HD ports. A TTYD port would be great, but there are a lot of GameCube ports that would be great, and the only one Nintendo has actually pushed out was Wind Waker. I think they just aren’t comfortable as a company with mid-tier ports that aren’t as spiffy as Wind Waker HD was.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nintendo has always been weird about their back catalog. Sony is kind of as well but that seems like more incompetence and laziness than just not understanding the market. They started out the PS4 generation offering a few hand selected PSX/PS2 games but stopped basically all support for it. They've been decent about offering their older games via streaming through PSNow though. Sadly it's Microsoft who have been the most progressive with their work to make their previous back catalog available on their current consoles, the back catalog that the least amount of people actually care about.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Kirby Star Allies will practically play itself. Has tons of collectibles to keep them busy too and harder difficulties if they ever get bored.

I would also suggest DK: Tropical Freeze. Some people may find it tough, but I think it's attractive and fun enough (and generous enough with Free Lives) that a child with infinite time will happily struggle through it. Also it has tons of collectibles. It's the perfect equivalent to me cutting my teeth on DKC 1+2 when I first started playing video games.

Tropical Freeze can be pretty tough, but Funky Kong is basically easy mode. They might have trouble with some of the rocket barrel segments

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

KingSlime posted:

I wonder why Nintendo won't just release a quick and dirty port of Paper Mario 64 and TTYD alongside origami king, or just in general, at like $30 and $40 a pop?

a full remake would likely cost close to as much as developing a new game, and then they have to deal with upset entitled nerds complaining that it's full price

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I wonder why Nintendo won't just release a quick and dirty port of Paper Mario 64 and TTYD alongside origami king, or just in general, at like $30 and $40 a pop? The effort wouldn't be trivial but its definitely doable, Sony and Microsoft are kings of hashing out 1:1 or barely upscaled ports and I absolutely adore them for this. It's not like they don't also crank out the occasional full remake like Nintendo. Hell, we're STILL waiting for stupid obvious ports like 3d world.

And third party companies are more than happy to unload their back catalogues on the eshop so cmon Nintendo get with the program

Do you guys feel like they desperately need a competent business major or two over there? Or maybe they are happy with the amount of money they're already printing and don't care about even more potential sales, that seems feasible to me too

I mean the honest answer is "If Nintendo is going to devote a team to doing a HD remaster of a game, they have probably several dozen games that would make them significantly more money than Paper Mario would." If the rumors about HD ports of stuff like Galaxy are true they probably have teams working on those as a much higher priority than Paper Mario 64 and TTYD.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

American McGay posted:

Nintendo has always been weird about their back catalog. Sony is kind of as well but that seems like more incompetence and laziness than just not understanding the market. They started out the PS4 generation offering a few hand selected PSX/PS2 games but stopped basically all support for it. They've been decent about offering their older games via streaming through PSNow though. Sadly it's Microsoft who have been the most progressive with their work to make their previous back catalog available on their current consoles, the back catalog that the least amount of people actually care about.
I'm still baffled that Sony chose to turn their backs on the pretty large library of PS1 games they put out for PS3/PSP/Vita, even if they had decided you'd have to rebuy them on PS4 it would have been something.

Like... a bonus PS1 game each month with PS Plus! This is a no brainer!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty good posted:

I'm still baffled that Sony chose to turn their backs on the pretty large library of PS1 games they put out for PS3/PSP/Vita, even if they had decided you'd have to rebuy them on PS4 it would have been something.

Like... a bonus PS1 game each month with PS Plus! This is a no brainer!

The major issue there is that Sony doesn't own the rights or licenses to most of those games. They can't release them without permission from the licenseholders, many of whom have no interest in offering it for a variety of reasons. (Largely because they are either selling it themselves or want to sell it themselves down the line.) It is one of the same things Nintendo deals with in regards to old NES/SNES/64 games.

It also has the netflix problem of companies realizing they can just sell the games themselves, so instead of PS1 Classic Final Fantasy 7 now you'll get Final Fantasy 7 for $20 with speed-up and achievements directly from S-E which is much more profitable for S-E.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Years ago Reggie said something to the affect of Nintendo generally doesn't believe in doing "basic" HD remasters of their older titles. If they choose to remaster an older title, it can't just be your standard 4K/30-60FPS + All DLC release but rather something that builds on the original to make it bigger and better. You can see their efforts to improve on the originals with re-releases like Mario Kart 8 DX and Xenoblade Definitive Edition. I find it both nice to see that they treat their back catalogue at times with such reverence but also infuriating that they could probably just slapdash like I dunno an F-Zero GX port onto the eShop and if it had the standards I'd plunk the cash down on it.

As for Sony's PS2 Classics on PS4, I've always suspected they were simple feelers put out to see how their older, forgotten franchises like Dark Cloud, Twisted Metal, SIREN, War of the Monsters, etc fared in modern times. I guess it paid off for Destroy All Humans because that got a full remake (but it's not first party).

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bleck posted:

a full remake would likely cost close to as much as developing a new game, and then they have to deal with upset entitled nerds

:qq: BUH I WANTED A NEW GAME YOU LAZY SHILLS THEIR BANKING ON NOSTALGIA AND THIS IS WHY MODERN GAMING IS TERRIBLE :qq:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The XBox BC is pretty much a light remaster. That’s probably the best you could ask for when it comes to support for older games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Years ago Reggie said something to the affect of Nintendo generally doesn't believe in doing "basic" HD remasters of their older titles. If they choose to remaster an older title, it can't just be your standard 4K/30-60FPS + All DLC release but rather something that builds on the original to make it bigger and better. You can see their efforts to improve on the originals with re-releases like Mario Kart 8 DX and Xenoblade Definitive Edition. I find it both nice to see that they treat their back catalogue at times with such reverence but also infuriating that they could probably just slapdash like I dunno an F-Zero GX port onto the eShop and if it had the standards I'd plunk the cash down on it.

As for Sony's PS2 Classics on PS4, I've always suspected they were simple feelers put out to see how their older, forgotten franchises like Dark Cloud, Twisted Metal, SIREN, War of the Monsters, etc fared in modern times. I guess it paid off for Destroy All Humans because that got a full remake (but it's not first party).

Free Pikmin 3 from the Wii U please (bring 1 and 2 along too)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm sorry I can't find the previous post when you guys told me how to set up an alert for a switch. I tried a few from Google and they were all scams to get my email on a list. Bleh

Can you please repost the best methods? There was a Twitter guy and also I think a web bot?

I have the money now I just need to find one. I am holding out for a v2 neon though.

Maybe add this info to the op?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nowinstock.net

It will send you a text, email, whatever.

Wario64 is the Twitter to follow.

You can also use the slickdeals app and set an alert there but it’s probably not as quick as the first two.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Wario64 is great if you're looking for Ring Fit or something, but you have to watch that feed like a hawk. It posted earlier today that Ring Fit was on Amazon and I swooped in and grabbed a copy, and by 10 minutes after people were saying it was gone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RandomFerret posted:

Hmm, that is a bit trickier. Still, they could have redesigned the character and just said it was a more detailed model. Valve expects us to believe that these are all the same person, after all:

edit: unless I have stumbled upon the big twist at the center of the Half Life series

G-Man absolutely strikes me as someone- or something- who'd show up barely recognisable and be genuinely surprised you noticed any change.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/siliconera/status/1283544629514850304?s=19

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

First Bakugan, now Fighting Foodons.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Walking into battle with a crunchwrap supreme in my pokeball.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Mario Maker is also an amazing choice because not do you have infinite easy levels made by randos, you can make levels specifically for them as well if you want

backing this, I let my niece tell me what she wants in the level and build it with her to mess around in

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They should localise this game as 'Snack World'

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

That's a really interesting theory. A lot of the ps2 classics are either older entries in a franchise, or a franchise that had some stuff. You get stuff like star ocean, ps2 Rockstar games like bully or warriors, red faction, and such.

But they still put out some obscure stuff like Okage Shadow King and Eternal Ring.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ineffiable posted:

That's a really interesting theory. A lot of the ps2 classics are either older entries in a franchise, or a franchise that had some stuff. You get stuff like star ocean, ps2 Rockstar games like bully or warriors, red faction, and such.

But they still put out some obscure stuff like Okage Shadow King and Eternal Ring.

I was browsing the Japanese PS1/PS2 classics, and inexplicably, they have Legaia 2: Duel Saga for PS2 but not Legend of Legaia for PS1, while the US PSN has neither of these, despite the first being initially published by Sony in both regions. The EU PS2 classics for PS3 is all over the place, too. For all of the confusing releases that come from Nintendo (see TG-16 games hitting the Wii U), Sony is the biggest crap shoot in regards to their old library (ex. straight up taking away PS2 BC from PS3 models). The fact that PS4 cannot play PS1 games is really just inexcusable.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I was browsing the Japanese PS1/PS2 classics, and inexplicably, they have Legaia 2: Duel Saga for PS2 but not Legend of Legaia for PS1, while the US PSN has neither of these, despite the first being initially published by Sony in both regions. The EU PS2 classics for PS3 is all over the place, too. For all of the confusing releases that come from Nintendo (see TG-16 games hitting the Wii U), Sony is the biggest crap shoot in regards to their old library (ex. straight up taking away PS2 BC from PS3 models). The fact that PS4 cannot play PS1 games is really just inexcusable.

IIRC Legend of Legaia was a PS1 classic for PS3, but at a certain point in the game you couldn't progress because of a glitch. I guess they just took it down instead of fixing it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/x8RLh.gifv

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The Bloop posted:

Post that again when it delivers

Well it shipped today and is scheduled for tomorrow, which was the estimated delivery time. So yeah, think it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EVGA Longoria posted:

Well it shipped today and is scheduled for tomorrow, which was the estimated delivery time. So yeah, think it worked.

Awesome. Get sweating, goon