Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Just finished the guitar, what instrument should I learn next?

piano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

I think this is the right answer tbh.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Just finished the guitar, what instrument should I learn next?

If you want to build on your guitar knowledge, banjo or mandolin. If you want to learn an entirely different set of skills, piano. If you just want to annoy your neighbors, trumpet.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Perhaps another stringed instrument but one that's way different (in sound as well as playing), like the sitar?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

I think this is the right answer tbh.

Agreed. I'm an awful piano player but I taught myself way back in middle school as a tool for writing/arranging. The extremely visual/logical layout works for how I think.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I work nights and am thinking of picking up a postmates/doordash job for my off days or if we're overstaffed. Which of the food delivery companies is last poo poo to work for?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
What in the world is this thing that tried to kill me in my sleep? It was massive.

https://imgur.com/a/ueVFjT7

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Thirteen Orphans posted:

What in the world is this thing that tried to kill me in my sleep? It was massive.

A Common Brushtail Poss cockroach

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Moo the cow posted:

A Common Brushtail Poss cockroach

Ugh disgusting, that makes it worse. :gonk:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It looks like a longhorn beetle to me.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Thirteen Orphans posted:

WHy are you sleeping on a prison mattress?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

WHy are you sleeping on a prison mattress?

That's a wall, our basement is unfinished.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Thirteen Orphans posted:

That's a wall, our basement is unfinished.

WHy are you sleeping on a wall in your basement?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

WHy are you sleeping on a wall in your basement?

Good for the back.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Stravag posted:

I work nights and am thinking of picking up a postmates/doordash job for my off days or if we're overstaffed. Which of the food delivery companies is last poo poo to work for?

A lot people who work for these companies full-time suggest having multiple apps running at the same time. The idea is that you’ll make a lot more money if you’re extremely picky about which deliveries to make. I didn’t do that, but when I did DoorDash I declined ~90% of offers and averaged $20-$25 an hour. A big difference between DoorDash and Uber Eats (the only other app I’ve tried) is that DoorDash tells you upfront what the customer is going to tip you and Uber Eats doesn’t. Unfortunately around half of people tip $0-1 so DoorDash lets you be sure how much you’ll make for a delivery. Also get a mileage tracking app for tax purposes (the best ones you’ll have to pay for) because a lot of people new to gigs like this get blindsided come tax season, and using your miles can save you hundreds of dollars.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 14, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Right okay how do you stop hiccups

I've tried: drinking water, drinking water from the opposite side of the glass, eating a spoonful of sugar, and distracting myself

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've tried: drinking water, drinking water from the opposite side of the glass, eating a spoonful of sugar, and distracting myself

Hold your breath for 30 seconds. Breathe regular for a minute or two. Then repeat for 45 seconds. Then 60. Try not to pass out.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

StrixNebulosa posted:

My strategy is to say, "this next hiccup is gonna be huge, watch this" and then my hiccups go away.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Maybe you need to be scared

Our oceans are filled with garbage, we've created a hole in the ozone that's frying the planet, nuclear waste is piling up with no way to get rid of it...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Plug your nose while you drink the water.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

StrixNebulosa posted:

What works best for me is to take as big of a breath as I can (usually with some supplementary "sips") and hold it for as long as I can.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

My strategy is to say, "this next hiccup is gonna be huge, watch this" and then my hiccups go away.

This has worked for me every time since I started doing it a few years ago. Just think to yourself "do a hiccup, c'mon, do a hiccup, big one, let's go" and you sort of take conscious control of the process? My wife had the hiccups and I told her I would give her ten dollars for every hiccup she could do in a minute, time starts now, go! She couldn't do a single one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

I almost wish I still had my hiccups (they went away on their own while I was playing Story of Seasons) so I could try this, I'll try to remember it for next time

Leal posted:

Maybe you need to be scared

Our oceans are filled with garbage, we've created a hole in the ozone that's frying the planet, nuclear waste is piling up with no way to get rid of it...

Hey you have the same hiccup cure reference guide as I do! :D

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kevin DuBrow posted:

A lot people who work for these companies full-time suggest having multiple apps running at the same time. The idea is that you’ll make a lot more money if you’re extremely picky about which deliveries to make. I didn’t do that, but when I did DoorDash I declined ~90% of offers and averaged $20-$25 an hour. A big difference between DoorDash and Uber Eats (the only other app I’ve tried) is that DoorDash tells you upfront what the customer is going to tip you and Uber Eats doesn’t. Unfortunately around half of people tip $0-1 so DoorDash lets you be sure how much you’ll make for a delivery. Also get a mileage tracking app for tax purposes (the best ones you’ll have to pay for) because a lot of people new to gigs like this get blindsided come tax season, and using your miles can save you hundreds of dollars.

oh drat I always put $0 but tip in cash because I'm paranoid about the company stealing it, I've probably been shooting myself in the foot lol

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

FCKGW posted:

oh drat I always put $0 but tip in cash because I'm paranoid about the company stealing it, I've probably been shooting myself in the foot lol
Same thing applies to pizza delivery. Pizza delivery drivers usually leave with several pizzas and can decide in what order they want to deliver them, so if one has a large tip attached to the order that guy gets his pizza first.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
This tip-in-advance thing is very gift economy and I want to study it as a grad student.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

StrixNebulosa posted:

drinking water from the opposite side of the glass

I've heard people say this all my life and never understood what it means. :confused:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Tiggum posted:

I've heard people say this all my life and never understood what it means. :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Supposedly the only real life science tested way to get rid of hiccups is shoving something up your rear end. That is not a joke just delivering science news

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

FCKGW posted:

I get that! It used to be an issue with DoorDash that technically the tip would go to the driver, but the company would reduce the pay by the same amount as long as it was over the guaranteed minimum. After some outrage that is no longer the case and the tip will go to the driver in addition to the base pay.

That being said, I used to take $0 tip orders with the mentality of “surely they’ll tip in cash when I deliver these four Little Caesar’s pizzas to the hospital”, but I’ve been burned enough that I no longer risk it. Doing no tip will probably increase the time it takes to receive your food because most people “swipe left” on you until the app slowly increases the base pay to make it worth it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Today I saw a mid-sized SUV getting towed from a grocery store parking lot because it was parked across two spaces, except it was straddling the front line to take up a front and a back space, as if they were pulling through but stopped half way. All four spaces to it's left and right were empty. What possible reason could someone have for parking this way?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

Today I saw a mid-sized SUV getting towed from a grocery store parking lot because it was parked across two spaces, except it was straddling the front line to take up a front and a back space, as if they were pulling through but stopped half way. All four spaces to it's left and right were empty. What possible reason could someone have for parking this way?

Was it a luxury car? Sometimes people park like that to avoid getting hit/getting hit by doors.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

The owner was a douchebag.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

Some cars are so long they kinda stick out of normal parking spaces painted for the cars of years past. Sometimes you'll see the drivers pull up to they aren't blocking the aisle.

Leal posted:

I would posit the opposite. Their car is too long for the space so they pulled forward to not stick out into the aisle. As long as there's still parking available I don't see the big deal.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Was it a luxury car? Sometimes people park like that to avoid getting hit/getting hit by doors.

It was a mid-sized moderately nice SUV, like a Nissan or something.

I'm well aware of the douche move of straddling two side by side spaces. They weren't parked in such a way that there was extra space to the cars's left and right, but to the car's front and back. The sides were still vulnerable to dings, and it was far enough over that it was clearly deliberate. It wasn't an issue of being too long either, this was a normal length car in a great big Meijer parking lot in the suburbs.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

It was a mid-sized moderately nice SUV, like a Nissan or something.

I'm well aware of the douche move of straddling two side by side spaces. They weren't parked in such a way that there was extra space to the cars's left and right, but to the car's front and back. The sides were still vulnerable to dings, and it was far enough over that it was clearly deliberate. It wasn't an issue of being too long either, this was a normal length car in a great big Meijer parking lot in the suburbs.

Leal posted:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I asked my MIL and she said that it might be to access the trunk, basically they don't want to hit a car with the hatch, and they also didn't want to stand in the parking lot part with all their stuff, but honestly there's no reason to do that other than being an rear end in a top hat.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Not discounting the very likely 'douchebag' option, but some people are so poo poo at driving that it's possible they are so bad at judging distances, that they thought it was perfectly aligned when they parked and either didn't notice or didn't care when they got out.

Source: my elderly aunty who misjudged her car's length and parked it into the side of her house. Three times.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Well whatever the reason, sucks to be them, it was being loaded onto a flatbed as I was leaving. Imagine standing in a 95 degree parking lot with a cart full of groceries wondering where your car went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Im also going to vote douchebag.

I also dislike when people just park at the entrance of a store and are like "parking spots are for losers."