Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Speaking of Telltale games every single one of those stupid adventure games falls apart when you realize you have zero influence on how the story pans out. The only thing in the he is choice, and those choices do not matter. At that point it's basically a poorly written, terribly animated tv episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Manager Hoyden posted:

Speaking of Telltale games every single one of those stupid adventure games falls apart when you realize you have zero influence on how the story pans out. The only thing in the he is choice, and those choices do not matter. At that point it's basically a poorly written, terribly animated tv episode.

i played the start of walking dead and very quickly realized this and never played another TT game.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Strongly agreed. It’s the same with the various new lovely version of CYOA books you can get on your phone.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think the weird sudden stop in game's dialogues might be a mix of the voice actors not knowing what kind of scene they're doing plus what their own annotations look like in the script. Most folks will read out loud and write directions, like when to pause for a breath, slow down or advance, change intonations, etc. In this case, there's probably some point where they did a full stop, as the text ended but had no idea why, thus the awkward interruption.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Manager Hoyden posted:

The Wolf Among Us has collectibles, the Book of Fables entries. You can miss some of them, not because you didn’t collect them, but because you chose to to area B instead of area A. To collect them all you’ll need to replay the episode (or maybe an episode has chapters, can’t remember). So if you like the game enough to unlock every achievement you’ll have to replay it and are rewarded by seeing the illusion of choice in its ghastly visage.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I wasn't as quick on the uptake but in Episode 3 I realized the Carly/Doug(?) choice amounted to a couple of lines at the end of Episode 1, a few lines at the beginning and end of Episode 2 (since the character you chose is off-camera for most of it) and a few lines in Episode 3 before they get unavoidably murked

On the bright side TellTale never updated their lovely engine or development style, everyone realized it was poo poo and they folded HARD

Tales from the Borderlands was the only one I played with good enough writing to get over the jank and meaningless decisions.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Riatsala posted:

On the bright side TellTale never updated their lovely engine or development style, everyone realized it was poo poo and they folded HARD

I'm not sure how thousands of workers being mistreated and eventually fired with no benefits is the bright side.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Riatsala posted:

I wasn't as quick on the uptake but in Episode 3 I realized the Carly/Doug(?) choice amounted to a couple of lines at the end of Episode 1, a few lines at the beginning and end of Episode 2 (since the character you chose is off-camera for most of it) and a few lines in Episode 3 before they get unavoidably murked

Tales from the Borderlands was the only one I played with good enough writing to get over the jank and meaningless decisions.

Tales of the Borderlands never tried to market itself as 'your decisions have meaning!', it's clear every choice you make in that game is simply based around what cool stuff you want to see, and it's awesome for it.

Oh, uh except for (uh, episode 3 or 4 ending choice?) when you're given a choice of letting Jack take you over, but it's not really one.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I heard rumors that a fourth Brothers in Arms game was in development so I decided to try Hell’s Highway again since I’ve played the first two to death and drat this game has a lot of problems.

The game tries way too hard to be Band of Brothers and the writing is really bad. This is compounded by a poo poo ton of unnecessary drama all wrapped up into cutscenes which you can’t skip. And why is there now someone with a massive English accent fighting in my American Airborne unit? I’m not a massive stickler for historical accuracy but it seems to me like they just added him so they could check a box or something.

Baker controls like a boat and runs at a speed equivalent to a small child which makes it really hard to flank Germans.

The squad AI is garbage. Sometimes your units won’t go to the place you order and other times when you order them to a wall they’ll place themselves in such a way that none of them can even see the enemy. Then they’ll just sit there and complain and do nothing to fix it.

The game has solo sections, because what I want from a series know for squad based combat is solo sections where I have to walk down hallways and slug it out with enemies.

Why do I have to cycle past my lovely pistol in order to reach my other useful gun?

The cover system doesn’t make a lot of sense. If you press the ‘go into cover’ button by a wall you’re pretty much invincible, but if you just crouch behind the wall you’re still able to get shot and killed.

This was all stuff I noticed on the first level and a half of the game, don’t think I’ve ever uninstalled something so fast in my life.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

I think the weird sudden stop in game's dialogues might be a mix of the voice actors not knowing what kind of scene they're doing plus what their own annotations look like in the script. Most folks will read out loud and write directions, like when to pause for a breath, slow down or advance, change intonations, etc. In this case, there's probably some point where they did a full stop, as the text ended but had no idea why, thus the awkward interruption.

Don't get me wrong, I said "voice acting" but it's not the actor's fault. It's the script, the direction, or how the recordings are used by the devs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

moosecow333 posted:

And why is there now someone with a massive English accent fighting in my American Airborne unit? I’m not a massive stickler for historical accuracy but it seems to me like they just added him so they could check a box or something.

Which character was that? Off hand, other than the British tank units who shows up a few times, I don’t remember any of the accents being wildly out of place.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
A Mike Dawson. Apparently the game even goes out of its way to state he was born in England. And sure, he could have moved to the states and what not but it seems like such a weird choice to make for a new character.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lobok posted:

I used to think it was a case of switching to different audio files but I have no idea.

I kept the convo to voice acting to keep from derailing but it happens in live action as well, especially theatre.

With live theatre there’s a lot of stuff like that, or like actors unnaturally pausing lines after a joke, etc.

Usually that has to do with making sure the line doesn’t get stepped on by the audience reaction.

What you’ve described sounds more like an actor not picking up his cue fast enough, because of course not.

Morpheus posted:

Tales of the Borderlands never tried to market itself as 'your decisions have meaning!', it's clear every choice you make in that game is simply based around what cool stuff you want to see, and it's awesome for it.

Oh, uh except for (uh, episode 3 or 4 ending choice?) when you're given a choice of letting Jack take you over, but it's not really one.

It was all fairly cosmetic but I thought it did a good job letting me choose between a Rhys who was ultimately a much more decent person than Jack from the start, or a Rhys who needed to become Jack to figure out it wasn’t really him.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Borderlands TellTale game was their best game because:

1) The dual protagonist system was interesting. Having a conversation you were both sides of was a great culmination.

2) The tone was lighter, so I was more comfortable making natural choices, instead of worrying about what the "right one" was. Like I know long-term none of the choices matter in any of their games, but even still the other games had me meta-gaming actions instead of just doing what I felt.

3) Loader Bot.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

moosecow333 posted:

A Mike Dawson. Apparently the game even goes out of its way to state he was born in England. And sure, he could have moved to the states and what not but it seems like such a weird choice to make for a new character.

Darkseed crossover with Brothers in Arms? I'm listening.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"telltale died because everyone realized their games are actually bad" is a real galaxy brain take I tell you what

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I liked the Telltale games. They didn't hold up to repeat playthroughs but they were fun and enjoyable

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

CJacobs posted:

"telltale died because everyone realized their games are actually bad" is a real galaxy brain take I tell you what

I don't think it's too far off. I played the first walking dead and liked it okay and thought "if they change up a few things and push the concept a bit further I'll get the next one" and whelp. Was good enough for me to play 1 of them, was probably good enough for others to play 1-3 or whatever before they got sick of no advancement too. At a certain point novelty wears off and repeated problems build up annoyance until people have enough. Or other people advance a medium/genre and you're stuck looking not as good as before. I wouldn't say they were always bad, but like pretty-much anything they were always flawed, and spamming out tonnes of them while making almost no changes or improvements brought out those flaws.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i think "TellTale is a onetrick pony" or "lacks innovation" is more precise. thats what i thought at the time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People told me walking dead had a good story and then episode two was some of the stupidest poo poo I've ever read.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I never got through the entirety of episode 2 but it really was a meatgrinder. I mean sure 1 also offed a ton of characters, but not within minutes of them getting screen time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Riatsala posted:

That was the point where I realised that the choices you make are entirely meaningless. Like, I wasn't expecting them to massively change the story based on your decisions because that would be an insane amount of work, but if they can't even keep this one minor character around to prove that your decisions have consequences then they just aren't even trying. It was the one clear example of a decision you made actually mattering, and it turns out it didn't. And without that element there was just nothing worthwhile or interesting about the game at all.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Telltale was perfectly good for what it was made for: give us a new Sam & Max game and revitalize the adventure games as a A-list genre.

Shame that they decided to become IPR-hoarding visual novel company instead of keep making adventure or story-driven puzzle games.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
They also died because they had way to many irons in the fire. They spend a shitton of money on licences and tried to develop a lot of games at the same time while also reaching the limit of what their engine could do on the technical side. the management was just terrible at that company.
The games still sold in decent numbers but decent numbers are only good enough for a small company and Telltale expanded massively to cover all the licences they bought. Pretty much every game had to be a blockbuster at that point to keep the company going and that was just never realistic.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah they had like 300 employees and an office in San Francisco so they were just hemorrhaging money and like Shai-Hulud said, decent money isn't doing it when you have that sort of situation.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I never understood the complaint that Telltale's games only offered the illusion of choice and that it's ruined if you peek behind the curtain to see how it works.

Like... just don't do that and enjoy the illusion. Are you standing up at magic shows to complain that the rabbit wasn't really in the magician's hat?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Shai-Hulud posted:

They also died because they had way to many irons in the fire. They spend a shitton of money on licences and tried to develop a lot of games at the same time while also reaching the limit of what their engine could do on the technical side. the management was just terrible at that company.
The games still sold in decent numbers but decent numbers are only good enough for a small company and Telltale expanded massively to cover all the licences they bought. Pretty much every game had to be a blockbuster at that point to keep the company going and that was just never realistic.

This. The downfall of Telltale is well documented and shockingly it has gently caress-all to do with "everyone suddenly universally agreed with my opinion, that all of their games were trash garbage, and they instantly shrank into nothing and disappeared overnight :smug:"

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Jul 16, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I never understood the complaint that Telltale's games only offered the illusion of choice and that it's ruined if you peek behind the curtain to see how it works.

Like... just don't do that and enjoy the illusion. Are you standing up at magic shows to complain that the rabbit wasn't really in the magician's hat?

if I remember correctly, Telltale were going around saying their games had all this choice and that it effected future episodes of games etc, which it did not...that's why people were so upset about it, esp as the company started winding down and putting even less effort into their games.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

if I remember correctly, Telltale were going around saying their games had all this choice and that it effected future episodes of games etc, which it did not...

But they did have choices that affected future episodes and seasons. Just like, not all of them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Necrothatcher posted:

The thing is, when you put that much emphasis on choices mattering, it encourages additional playthroughs to see what could have happened differently... which shatters that illusion completely when the answer is “basically nothing”

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

it's more like going to a magic show where the magician doesn't even bother to use clever angles, the invisible strings are all painted neon and he picks the rabbit up out of a hutch and places it into the hat right in front of you

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The thing is, when you put that much emphasis on choices mattering, it encourages additional playthroughs to see what could have happened differently... which shatters that illusion completely when the answer is “basically nothing”

I mean, I guess - but I don't think the games encourage you to replay them and it seems like you're intentionally spoiling the fun for yourself.

I only ever played through any Telltale game once, never looked up alternate paths and thought they were pretty fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In most choice-based narratives I accept the illusion of consequence even if the overall story structure doesn't diverge that much. Video games are expensive productions and it's usually more interesting to me when things COULD have gone differently rather than how divergent those story paths actually are. However, some Telltale games get really annoying with this because they're like "this thing you didn't want to happen and specifically chose against happening happens anyway five minutes later." Why even frame it as a decision if you're just going to overwrite the player no matter what they do.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I mean, I guess - but I don't think the games encourage you to replay them and it seems like you're intentionally spoiling the fun for yourself.

I only ever played through any Telltale game once, never looked up alternate paths and thought they were pretty fun.

If the major mechanic of a game is large dynamic narrative...replaying to get different results is the only "game" there is...otherwise it's just an animated movie with pointless quicktime events. They may not have wanted for players to replay because they knew their changing story lines were pointless and not actual content though...but that's exactly my problem with the game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

If the major mechanic of a game is large dynamic narrative...replaying to get different results is the only "game" there is...otherwise it's just an animated movie with pointless quicktime events. They may not have wanted for players to replay because they knew their changing story lines were pointless and not actual content though...but that's exactly my problem with the game.

If you don't want an animated movie with quicktime events then I can see why you have problems with Telltale games.

Like, I'm not holding them up as some pinnacle of narrative or game design, but they're fun distractions and I think gamers had unrealistic expectations about them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I enjoyed the Telltale games but only because I played through them with a group of friends. That said, that illusion of choice did start to get grating, as I started simply not caring about the choices the game presented because, why bother?

Especially in Walking Dead where 90% of the time everybody you've been introduced to in the episode is going to perish in some untimely incident in like ep 4 or 5 of the season anyway.

Again, why Tales of the Borderlands was the best one, where choices are such ones as "Do you want your big robot to have rocket launchers or saw blades?"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Yes, the unrealistic expectations of being told their choices matter and that turning out to be, basically, a lie.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

Yes, the unrealistic expectations of being told their choices matter and that turning out to be, basically, a lie.

If a developer lying to me to makes the story more tense then they can go nuts.

cf Hellblade.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Necrothatcher posted:

If a developer lying to me to makes the story more tense then they can go nuts.

cf Hellblade.

Technically not a lie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It's amazing how pissed off people get about Hellblade because of that.

People see it or hear about it and they get mad and refuse to play on principle because how dare a game have stakes! :argh: But then when someone politely spoiler tags the real deal they get mad and refuse to play on principle because how dare a game developer lie to them! :argh: