Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

DangerZoneDelux posted:

As long the rumor is a full shutdown like at the beginning and not the same rumors before that they heard from their dad's best mans pool guy that the National Guard was going to enforce a full on Martial Law shutdown

That’s the word, is full shutdown like back in late March/early April. The “safer at home” style shutdown — or whatever the slogan was.

No martial law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

If anything happens my guess it will be Abbott announcing a half assed suggestion to Texas cities/counties giving them authority to hold a shutdown through the end of July - but then rescinding control again so the state can manage the reopening. If anything is probably the most important part of that statement.

No, I'm not cynical at all.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

If anything happens my guess it will be Abbott announcing a half assed suggestion to Texas cities/counties giving them authority to hold a shutdown through the end of July - but then rescinding control again so the state can manage the reopening. If anything is probably the most important part of that statement.

It's not cynical when the man has consistently shown how loving terrible at this he's been.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Abbot has, at this point, more or less deliberately killed so many people through chosen inaction and we wont know exactly how many for months.

I wonder how things would look if noted crazy man Perry was still milking the govenor's mansion.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Shooting Blanks posted:

This makes the most sense to me. Abbott is an abject coward and would never be personally responsible to a shutdown especially given how Trump is trying to keep the economy running long enough to get reelected. However, if he gives counties the power to locally lock down then all of the negative consequences are their fault and he can take credit if there's an actual reduction in cases.

Of course, having local uncoordinated lockdowns won't meaningfully stop the virus but even Abbott can't ignore refrigerator trucks full of former voters.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

Abbot has, at this point, more or less deliberately killed so many people through chosen inaction and we wont know exactly how many for months.

I wonder how things would look if noted crazy man Perry was still milking the govenor's mansion.

it's not the man imo, it's the electorate

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FoolyCharged posted:

State testing would be highly coordinated but would go through a random previously unheard of company that just happens to be run by a major Perry donor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

say what you will but my man new how to be a parasite without killing the host

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

i say swears online posted:

it's not the man imo, it's the electorate

This is the problem, really, is that it's really hard to place blame for the stupidity of the modern age.

Our politicians suck, but they're only there because the electorate put them there, and decisions they make are influenced heavy by the increasingly right wing media. Successfully getting rid of one politician just seems to make the future ones worse.

The media sucks, but they are just giving the public what they want (well, what gets higher ratings) and want to make sure their corporate interests are safe. I'd like to say that getting Rush/O'reilly/Tucker/Hannity/Jones/Beck/etc. off the air would help out the situation, but it won't/hasn't. There is always another opportunist.

The electorate sucks, but they are just being swayed by the rhetoric of the politicians and media. It's hard to blame someone for falling for a scam. Of course, in this case, their scam is causing direct harm to already marginalized communities, but these people have had their brains leeched out over the last thirty years first by Rush, then by Fox, then by Alex Jones/Q-anon/Trump/a combination of everything. It's no excuse for the cruelty, but it is a reason for it.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I’ve been expecting a shut down since the 5th, but I guess waiting for the primaries to finish up first then locking down makes sense too. From Abbott’s perspective anyway, ie an idiots.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

mastajake posted:

This is the problem, really, is that it's really hard to place blame for the stupidity of the modern age.

Our politicians suck, but they're only there because the electorate put them there, and decisions they make are influenced heavy by the increasingly right wing media. Successfully getting rid of one politician just seems to make the future ones worse.

The media sucks, but they are just giving the public what they want (well, what gets higher ratings) and want to make sure their corporate interests are safe. I'd like to say that getting Rush/O'reilly/Tucker/Hannity/Jones/Beck/etc. off the air would help out the situation, but it won't/hasn't. There is always another opportunist.

The electorate sucks, but they are just being swayed by the rhetoric of the politicians and media. It's hard to blame someone for falling for a scam. Of course, in this case, their scam is causing direct harm to already marginalized communities, but these people have had their brains leeched out over the last thirty years first by Rush, then by Fox, then by Alex Jones/Q-anon/Trump/a combination of everything. It's no excuse for the cruelty, but it is a reason for it.

Eh, pinning all/most of this on the voters seems... a little unfair. We've hit the point where so much money is flowing into politics that the parties dont have an incentive to give the people what they want. Just look at our presidential race, we've got a choice between the man literally killing hundreds of thousands of Americans with his negligence and an old senile man accused of being a sex pest who thinks the police should still be shooting people, but maybe in the leg this time.

There's no room for the electorate to flex because both parties are so compromised we aren't given that choice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/thegarance/status/1283576896215748613

Attn John Cornyn

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1283773426289848322

Wow and they found a cowboy to DM too

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 16, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

FoolyCharged posted:

Eh, pinning all/most of this on the voters seems... a little unfair. We've hit the point where so much money is flowing into politics that the parties dont have an incentive to give the people what they want. Just look at our presidential race, we've got a choice between the man literally killing hundreds of thousands of Americans with his negligence and an old senile man accused of being a sex pest who thinks the police should still be shooting people, but maybe in the leg this time.

There's no room for the electorate to flex because both parties are so compromised we aren't given that choice.

I'd say one side is getting exactly what they wanted, and the other keeps rewarding performative resistance with votes

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Was there a progressive candidate between West and Hagar?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kherman/status/1283761587845828608

Uh huh

E: this just in - actually, go for it

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1283785115735293952

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

syntaxrigger posted:

Not that I saw, unfortunately.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ah yes, looking at the Electoral College in 2020 and thinking "let's do more of that". :hmmyes:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

syntaxrigger posted:

not really, West was a bit better but he was hardly a radical, which made the DNC's full court press to tip the scale so disgusting (and super racist)

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

syntaxrigger posted:

Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez was third and 1.5% behind West in the first round of the primary, and was probably the best truly progressive candidate.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/02/21/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-endorses-cristina-tzintzun-ramirez-us-senate/

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Y'all remember that weird Austin PD tweet a while back with the pile of definitely-not-fake thank you cards? Texas Monthly decided to get to the bottom of it:
https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1283788649113559040

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao I love scoops like this

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The electorate is stupid, but that's because they've been carefully cultivated to be so by an industrial campaign of misinformation to convince them to slavishly worship a select elite and reject all those who would dare oppose their masters. And it is all successfully framed as anti-elitism, since it's much easier for an uneducated yokel to mindlessly parrot decades-old propaganda or invent new nonsensical spins unsupported by reality to justify their arbitrary feelings than it is for them to do research to figure out how they're getting screwed by the current balance of power, so if you reject education itself, the following is effectively insulated from contradictory information.

And there's no one puppet master, a lot of people have worked very hard to construct their bubble over a very long time to the degree that a significant amount of the propagandists probably believe many of the lies that they aren't personally responsible for, but it's still a system that was purposefully created rather than a random social mass movement.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

No Safe Word posted:

Ah yes, looking at the Electoral College in 2020 and thinking "let's do more of that". :hmmyes:

Particularly in a year with lots of polling suggesting Texas is becoming competitive.

The instant the Dem candidate for president wins Texas two cycles in a row (it will happen, someday...), the entire right wing machine will loudly flip on the Electoral College.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Even so, I don't think that evil elite is at all omnipotent. it's been clear since jade helm that the inmates are running the asylum and the republican elite doesn't know what to do beyond doubling down

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

syntaxrigger posted:

Tzintzun Ramirez was running in that lane but didn't make the runoff and endorsed West.

ef;b

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

not so smart after all you fuckin eggheads!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/kmbc/status/1283784479316770816

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

200k for a degree and owl I got was brain damage from heat stroke

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

People are gonna wander into classes thinking it's a farmers market

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

:lol:

My experience with a friend and roommate studying at Rice was that it was all honor system take home exams, so their exposure should be limited.

Also, on the voters being responsible, ultimately we are. We're not supposed to complain that we weren't offered a better option to choose, we were supposed to make that option happen. Not that I did any loving thing about it, of course. I'm not even supposed to be here, Goddammit!

I go back to the Ken Layne quote from many years back from a throwaway Wonkette article - "... the American consumer, who replaced the American citizen in 1981..." or something like that.

EDIT: Overhead just now at this open air bbq joint - I'm not sure what the context is, but the cook is talking to the bartender, and this is his monologue:

---

I done told him, I ain't coming in. I don't care what. I told him I got an appointment and I'm going. He can put me in the schedule, I don't give a poo poo.

Cause I done this before and I ain't gettin' arrested this time. I already got it set up with my dad to leave my car at his place and ride together, and if I see a cop look on their faces, I'm out. I ain't doin' that poo poo again. Done it twice before.

---

A very traditional Northern Brazoria County discussion, to be fair.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 16, 2020

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Most of Texas can only exist here because of AC. How are you going to move stuff outside when it's not the months of November through February?

https://marker.medium.com/austin-was-destined-to-replace-silicon-valley-then-the-pandemic-hit-6d5f5a332e04

This article is all over Twitter. "The year also capped nearly a decade of gravity-defying growth. Austin’s rare combination of cool affordability, youthful irreverence, year-long summer weather, low taxes, and tons of well-paying jobs helped make it America’s fastest-growing big city last year."

Is our year-long summer weather a bonus? I'm from Oklahoma, so I'm already used to 100 degree summer weather (just not for as long as it is here), but it's not like Austin summers are nice summers. It's just six months of hell.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I don't think of Austin weather as particularly great or awful, which I guess is good for most people. I'm used to tropical heat and humidity, so my only complaint is that it gets very dry in winter and I crack like an iguana, but it's not dry by normal American standards.

I assume "affordable" is relative to California or whatever. Not that it's insanely expensive, but compared to Houston or San Antonio, it's pricier.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When I lived in Canada everyone talked about how they wished they had Texas weather. No you don't motherfuckers, four seasons and a proper winter rules. There is no part of Texas with even "decent" weather, you just choose between sauna and hurricans or oven and tornadoes.

Plus their idea of perpetual summer is like, balmy 75 degree days forever.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm pretty sure there's a corner up near texarkana that gets a regular four seasons

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

"The year also capped nearly a decade of gravity-defying growth. Austin’s rare combination of cool affordability, youthful irreverence, year-long summer weather, low taxes, and tons of well-paying jobs helped make it America’s fastest-growing big city last year."

lmao as four-decade resident and member of the permanent underclass, this stuff is so heartbreaking

maybe when the virus goes away i can start thinking again what it would be like to have a good job

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Why do they need four seasons? Some folks want too much, you ask me. We done just fine with two.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Why do they need four seasons? Some folks want too much, you ask me. We done just fine with two.

Lookit the rich boy over here with his TWO seasons!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jiro posted:

y'all get a cold front every so often! also there's the equally-refreshing Sea Breeze and Desert Breeze

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I live in south texas and its been summer for 10 years now.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Jiro posted:

LUXURY.

You mean y'all got both non-floodin' and floodin' dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Foodchat: Was the pirata imported to Texas in the last 15 years? Because I don't remember this thing, and it's technically awful, but hilariously good.