Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Doc Hawkins posted:

Hillary's national margin was bigger by this point in 2016.

Hillary never had this large a margin, nor did she ever have a large margin for so long. You can easily look this up if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hillary never had this large a margin, nor did she ever have a large margin for so long. You can easily look this up if you want.

Here's a 538 elections person:

https://twitter.com/geoffreyvs/status/1283524674685739014

And Twitter apparently just disabled anyone's ability to tweet if the person has a verified blue check mark.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

facialimpediment posted:

And Twitter apparently just disabled anyone's ability to tweet if the person has a verified blue check mark.

Hahaha. It was all a long game honeypot!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85zX6thjQBI

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

facialimpediment posted:

Do you have proof on that? I'm almost positive it wasn't.

Edit: it wasn't, not even close. It was ~ Hillary by 4-5 at this time https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Stultus Maximus posted:

You're right, I'm a dum-dum. There were some double-digit polls for her in June and July, but her widest lead was mid-August.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Alright, here's the explanation I was looking for.

https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1283521695031033856

It's absolutely, positively possible the HHS will try to bury the data, but our poo poo is such a tangled clusterfuck of states with different systems that they basically can't completely bury the information.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

facialimpediment posted:

Here's a 538 elections person:

https://twitter.com/geoffreyvs/status/1283524674685739014

Let's hope they make it permanent.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

facialimpediment posted:

Alright, here's the explanation I was looking for.

https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1283521695031033856

It's absolutely, positively possible the HHS will try to bury the data, but our poo poo is such a tangled clusterfuck of states with different systems that they basically can't completely bury the information.

They don't need to bury it though, they just need to obfuscate it enough that the right wing talking point machine can create a competing narrative for people to latch onto. "Oh, your data shows a spike in [hospital/city/state]? Well the official numbers say otherwise. :smug: Your numbers clearly include people who died of perfectly natural causes like the flu and being a minority in the vicinity of police, they're just inflating the numbers to make Trump look bad."

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They don't need to bury it though, they just need to obfuscate it enough that the right wing talking point machine can create a competing narrative for people to latch onto. "Oh, your data shows a spike in [hospital/city/state]? Well the official numbers say otherwise. :smug: Your numbers clearly include people who died of perfectly natural causes like the flu and being a minority in the vicinity of police, they're just inflating the numbers to make Trump look bad."

Yup, that's all they want to do is muddy the waters enough that facts don't matter

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1283494186482831362?s=20

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.alreporter.com/2020/07/13/black-disabled-veteran-sentenced-to-spend-60-months-in-prison-for-medical-marijuana/

GoFundMe to help with legal and medical bills:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-sean-worsley-and-family-with-legal-fees-etc

AL Reporter posted:

Sean Worsley, a disabled Black veteran, and his wife, Eboni, were arrested in Pickens County in August 2016. The Worsleys had visited Eboni’s family in Mississippi and were on their way to North Carolina to visit his family. They made the life-altering mistake of stopping to purchase gas in Alabama on their way to North Carolina.

Sean was wounded in Iraq. The 33-year-old veteran is disabled with a traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder from his service in Iraq. He uses medical marijuana to calm his nightmares and soothe his back pain. His medical marijuana was prescribed and purchased in Arizona, where it has been legal since 2011.

A Gordo police officer approached the Worsleys at the gas station. He said their music was too loud, was a violation of the Gordo noise ordinance and asked to search the vehicle. The Worsleys assented, believing they had broken no laws. That was a mistake. Marijuana is still illegal in Alabama even if you purchased it in one of the states where it is legal.

The officer said that he smelled marijuana and asked the couple about it. Sean told him he was a disabled veteran and had a medical marijuana card.
Public Service Announcement

“I explained to him that Alabama did not have medical marijuana. I then placed the suspect in handcuffs,” the report reads.

Eboni told the officer that the marijuana was behind the seat. The officer found the marijuana and the rolling papers and pipe Sean used to smoke it, along with a six-pack of beer, a bottle of vodka, and some pain pills, for which Eboni had a prescription. Both of them were arrested.

Eboni’s pills weren’t in the original bottle, which the officer said constituted a felony. The couple were both charged and spent six days in jail, but that was just the beginning of their Alabama legal saga.
Cannabis advocates troubled by veteran’s 5-year sentence for medical marijuana
The Alabama Cannabis Industry Association on Monday released a statement critical of the decision by an Alabama court to imprison an Arizona man for five years after his probation for a 2016 marijuana arrest was revoked in April.

Once the Worsleys were released on bond, they paid $400 to get their car out of impound and had to have the car professionally cleaned because venison they had been transporting to North Carolina went bad.

When they returned to Arizona, they found the charges made it difficult for them to maintain housing and stability. They moved to Nevada and leased a house.

Almost a year later, the bail bondsman called and told them the Alabama judge was revoking bonds on all the cases he managed. They had to rush back, or he would lose the money he had put up for their bond, and they would be charged with failing to appear in court. They borrowed money to return to Alabama.

When they got to court, the Worsleys were taken to separate rooms. Eboni explained that Sean was disabled with serious cognitive issues and needed a guardian to help him understand the process and ensure he made an informed decision.

Eboni claims that Sean told her prosecutors told him that if he didn’t sign the plea agreement that they would have to stay incarcerated until December and that they would charge her with the same charges.

Rather than see his wife go to jail he signed the agreement.

Sean’s plea agreement included 60 months of probation, plus drug treatment and thousands of dollars in fines, fees and court costs.

Because the Worsleys lived in Arizona at the time of their arrest, his probation was transferred to Arizona, instead of Nevada, so they broke their lease agreement and moved back to Arizona. Sean’s Arizona probation officer, however, told them that their month-to-month rental did not constitute a permanent address.

At her direction, they contacted Sean’s probation officer in Alabama, who told them to return to Pickens County. They were short on funds so tried to do it by proxy. Drug treatment was another part of the terms of the probation.

Sean was denied treatment by the VA because smoking cannabis for medical purposes “does not meet criteria for a substance use disorder or meet need for substance abuse treatment.”

Eboni is a certified nursing assistant who works with traumatized children. Her job offer was rescinded due to the felony charge in Alabama. She also lost her clearance to work with sensitive information to which she needed access to do her job.

For a while, the Worsleys slept in their car or lived with family. In January 2019, they were homeless. Sean lost his homeless veteran benefits with the VA because Alabama had issued a fugitive warrant for his arrest after Sean missed a February court date in Pickens County. The case was referred to the district attorney’s office in March 2019.

Now Eboni’s health has failed and she needed heart surgery. Sean stopped taking on extra gigs to help her recover. To cover costs, the couple took out a title loan and lost Eboni’s truck when they could not keep up with the payments. With no transportation, they lost their home.

Sean’s benefits resumed in August 2019, but to save money, he failed to pay the $250 to renew his medical marijuana card. In 2020, Sean was arrested at a traffic stop in Arizona and the officer found that he possessed marijuana without a valid medical marijuana card.

Pickens County demanded that he be extradited back to Alabama at a cost to the state of Alabama of $4,345. That was added to the $3,833.40 he already owed in fines, fees and court costs.

On April 28, a Pickens County judge sentenced Mr. Worsley to 60 months in prison. That sentence would already have begun if it were not for the chronic prison overcrowding and the COVID-19 crisis that has gripped the prison system.

Sean has been in the Pickens County jail since early 2020. On April 28, the judge revoked his probation and sentenced him to 60 months in the custody of the Alabama Department of Corrections.

Sean’s mother hired an attorney to appeal the case, but that process has just begun and most inmates begin their sentence while the case is under appeal.

Former Speaker of the House Mike Hubbard was sentenced to a four-year sentence four years ago and has not served a day, but Sean Worsley does not have the friends that Hubbard has. He is in the Pickens County jail awaiting transport to a prison in Alabama.

Eboni is in the hospital for more heart surgery, and Sean will leave behind two children from a prior relationship, ages 12 and 14.

“I feel like I’m being thrown away by a country I went and served for,” Sean wrote in a letter to Alabama Appleseed. “I feel like I lost parts of me in Iraq, parts of my spirit and soul that I can’t ever get back.”

State Sen. Cam Ward, R-Alabaster, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, said he is aghast that this could happen in Alabama.

“This is an anomaly. This is not the norm,” Ward said. “Most police departments in Alabama do not arrest people anymore solely for marijuana possession.”

Ward said usually when someone is charged with marijuana possession, they are charged with other felonies and marijuana possession is an add-on charge.

Ward said that marijuana possession is a class D offense under the sentencing reform package that he sponsored, which passed the Alabama Legislature in 2016. With a class D offense, there is no prison time.

In Sean Worsley’s case, the arresting officer in Gordo determined that the marijuana was not for personal use and thus charged Sean with a Class C offense. The arresting officer is no longer with the Gordo police department.

Ward told APR that out of the 23,000 inmates in the Alabama Correctional system, there are only 60 or 70 there just for marijuana offenses.

“They got arrested for a whole truckload, semi-truckloads even, for trafficking,” Ward said, not the small amount that Worsley will lose five years of freedom over.

Ward said that the state passed sentencing reform in 2016 so that things like this could not happen, but there was a lag time between passage and implementation, so Worsley was likely charged under the pre-reform standards.

Chey Garrigan, the executive director of Alabama Cannabis Industry Association, said the non-profit advocacy group is fighting to change Alabama’s marijuana laws so that medical marijuana is legal in this state and so that travelers like Sean Worsley don’t have to fear long incarcerations for amounts of marijuana that would be legal in 33 states.

“The Alabama Cannabis Industry Association, is extremely passionate about working with policymakers to bring about a necessary compassion for social justice,” Garrigan told APR.

The Alabama Senate has passed medical marijuana bills, sponsored by Sen. Tim Melson, R-Florence, in both 2019 and 2020, but the bills have never come before the Alabama House of Representatives for a vote.

This year the legislative session was interrupted by the coronavirus crisis before the House could consider the Senate bill.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie's now on campaign manager #2.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1283561022431928321

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ABC7John/status/1283560458499350534?s=19

👀

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

:10bux: says it will involve the words "Dan Snyder" and "consent".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

but I love “organization”

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

What are they going to do, reveal that the entire industry is a grift-circus that preys on minorities, distracts from social responsibility, and is guilty of exploiting local governments for special favor that is rarely (if ever) demonstrated to help local people or economies but instead shifts normal costs of an entertainment business to externalities that fall upon the pubic to shoulder--all without the societal and cultural benefits of and, actually at the expense of, the arts?

Or do you think something else?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Someone's been dropping n-bombs, probably.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe there was some subterfuge in getting the Simon Wiesenthal Center to say this picture of Daniel Synder is anti-semitic for his lawsuit against a sports reporter.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

piL posted:

What are they going to do, reveal that the entire industry is a grift-circus that preys on minorities, distracts from social responsibility, and is guilty of exploiting local governments for special favor that is rarely (if ever) demonstrated to help local people or economies but instead shifts normal costs of an entertainment business to externalities that fall upon the pubic to shoulder--all without the societal and cultural benefits of and, actually at the expense of, the arts?

Or do you think something else?

My money is on sexual harassment or assault.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lake of Methane posted:

Maybe there was some subterfuge in getting the Simon Wiesenthal Center to say this picture of Daniel Synder is anti-semitic for his lawsuit against a sports reporter.

I’m Jewish and I don’t get this trend where saying anything other than good things about a Jewish person or organization is anti-semitism. Like, anyone criticizing Israel is an anti-Semite according to a lot of my fellow Jews and it boggles my mind. There’s real anti-semitism out there, and it deserves to be called out. This other poo poo? I don’t get it.

What part of that picture is derogatory towards Jews?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Apparently 3 people have been fired/left the organization in the last week and July is not a normal time for that so people are making assumptions based on that?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m Jewish and I don’t get this trend where saying anything other than good things about a Jewish person or organization is anti-semitism. Like, anyone criticizing Israel is an anti-Semite according to a lot of my fellow Jews and it boggles my mind. There’s real anti-semitism out there, and it deserves to be called out. This other poo poo? I don’t get it.

What part of that picture is derogatory towards Jews?

They're assholes with a persecution complex and an easy out any time someone disparages them. See the stuff from earlier this week with Bari Weiss for more of the same.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:rip:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

lightpole posted:

Apparently 3 people have been fired/left the organization in the last week and July is not a normal time for that so people are making assumptions based on that?

Senior people in player personell and i believe the GM himself were let go or left. This is 30 days out from the supposed begining of training camp where turning over the bottom half of your roster to find talent is a huge part of the process of putting together an NFL team. you need to identify players who are scheme and character fits and its hard to do when you just fired the people who are most familiar with the landscape of the league

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BigDave posted:

:10bux: says it will involve the words "Dan Snyder" and "consent".

Wonder if there’s any chance that a year from now he still won’t own a $100 million yacht with an onboard IMAX theater.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

F

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Fallom posted:

but I love “organization”

Possibly more info on the Washington Situation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Typical that the Caucasians wouldn't field an all white team. I mean, who's white on that team. The kicker? A couple of linemen and backs? Did they land Bobby Boucher?

I haven't watched football in a while, it's below Ancient Aliens in terms of viewing priority. Below even Adam Sandler movies.

It's going to be something dumb like the Washington Americans or Heroes or boot camp basic bitch names like Warriors. I want them to name the team Washington's Wooden Dentures.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Washington: Slave Owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwUIDNYwZRY

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think I was one of the first regular posters ITT to start pushing the Lincoln Project videos here. I don't do it anymore, because a lot of people don't like them, but I want to make a couple of points.

I know who they are, and what they've done in the past, and what they are going to do once things align in a way they like. The reason I like what they are doing right now is that Trump is unique in US presidential history, in that he is so psychologically and emotionally stunted and weak, that he feels insulted by things people post on twitter, things people say in interviews, etc.

With any other president or even presidential candidate in history, the current LP approach simply does not work, because you just don't dignify it with a response, you just don't pay any attention to it. You never let on that it bothers you, but Trump isn't like that, and this is further evidence of just how unsuited he is for this job. I think it was Hillary who said early on "anyone who can be baited by a tweet has no business being president", and she was right.

He's been getting baited and insulted on twitter by everyone for years now, and responding to it. I like the LP ads that call him personally weak, unsound, easily manipulated, and owned, because I know he sees them and it cuts him to the quick. These are the equivalents of personal attacks on a message board, against a troll, except in this case it works against the president of the United States, and it leaves a mark.

These kinds of personal attacks that affect him are also exactly what the Democrats have never done to anyone in my lifetime, and I feel no Democrats will ever do in my lifetime, because Democrats are all about "decorum" and playing the game the right way. Dems are traditionally weak and spineless. They have been since the first election I voted in (Bush41 vs Dukakis), and little has changed in the years since.

The Republican party, and especially the Trump Republican party, doesn't adhere to these norms and traditions, and while I don't think of LP as allies per se, it does my heart good to see them target Trump's well-documented insecurities and his ego. And the Dems simply are not going to go there.

If the Biden campaign does start producing similar ads, I will say I was wrong, I will admit to it ITT. I just do not think that is ever going to happen. Not only with Biden but with any Dem campaign any of us will ever see in our lives. In my perfect world we wouldn't need never-Trumper republicans to do this job, but in real life it seems we do.

They are also attacking the Republican senators who voted against impeachment, knowing exactly what this guy was and what he was all about, and republican members of the house who've aided and abetted the crime spree. I am all for that, also. The rot is deep, and there are a lot of republican congressmen who have gone along with Trump and need to be made to pay for it. Most of those people are more intelligent than Trump, and not as insecure, but it can have an impact just because of the rank, fetid Trump reek they all carry on their persons now.

I'm not going to post their videos here anymore, but I am definitely going to watch them and push them elsewhere, because I think those videos and others like them are some of the sharpest, deepest-cutting anti-GOP weapons in the fight now. And another four years of Trump as president and (R) majority Senate will not be survivable for this country.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's true that more people should make attack ads that just repeat "no balls tiny hands man" over and over but it's also true that Ben Howe loves publicly sharing his fantasies of murdering black children, so the insults feel a little different coming from him.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That's fair.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

somewhere, nsawizard's cousin is getting mad.

Hackers Are Finding Footage on Police Body Cams They Bought on eBay

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8895ek/hackers-are-finding-footage-on-police-body-cams-they-bought-on-ebay

quote:

Curious hackers are buying decommissioned police body cameras online, and some are finding troves of video evidence after successfully extracting data from the devices.

Last week, Twitter user d0tslash found one such cache while searching inside an Axon-branded body camera he bought on eBay. Based on screenshots of the extracted footage—which include people in military fatigues searching a home and an officer filling out paperwork—the camera appears to belong to military police at Fort Huachuca, a U.S. Army installation in southeast Arizona.

There's a lot of links and comments/tweets from a couple intrepid hackers.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I promised not to link LP videos here anymore, so have this one, absolutely accurate, deserved, and it will leave the same kind of deep wound:

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1283570682077433856?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DurosKlav posted:

If it's bad enough, what are the odds the chud brigade will mobilize to defend it

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

No matter what the Redskins story is, I think the best policy and mindset to have, is gently caress the NFL, in general. They spent millions for years to suppress lawsuits and avoid any public talk of TBIs, going so far as to say "gently caress you, you have your pension" in response to early attempts at class-action lawsuits by players starting in the late 90s.

Ultimately, they were undone in their efforts to stifle those complaints due to... 9/11. Who could have seen that coming?!?

The huge numbers of GWOT-related TBIs and the resulting studies and awareness of their effects, in the end forced the NFL to publicly admit for the first time in history, and after years of legal battles to avoid it, the mere *existence* of football-related TBIs, over a decade later, in 2016.

What a great concession. Way to go, NFL!

They still to this day work hard to avoid paying people for the repercussions of TBIs, due in no small part to the efforts of Roger Goodell, who I maintain is the greatest all-time oval office in the history of sports league commissioners.

And they still take a large amount of money from the DOD to allow military-related pregame activities like color guards and flyovers. Because in a sports league that profits off of lies and misrepresentation, what better sponsor than another organization that does the same!

I have no issue with the concept of personal responsibility, as in "you choose this life, here's what can happen" but the NFL in general and Goodell in particular are deceitful, cowardly, and reprehensible. As is the US military.

The Redskins team name issue is a woke sideshow; gently caress the NFL in general, all of its executives on every team, and its very existence.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I agree with what you're saying, but what's a TBI?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Traumatic brain injury

Bonking your head

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
No, don't bonk me!

Oh, I try to make a joke, but it's just sad. Football is a phenomenon that I don't quite understand, and there are people who honestly believe regular life can't continue without it. And they'll never see an issue with what the NFL does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

DurosKlav posted:

When how the teams treat their cheerleaders in terms of pay and rules was in the news cycle, there were some stories from the Redskins Cheerleaders that were much further out in terms of being hosed up. Going to Costa Rica and having their passports taken by the team representatives. Inviting spectators to topless shoots. Making cheerleaders escort team supporters to a nightclub on that shoot against their will. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/sports/redskins-cheerleaders-nfl.html

Thomamelas fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 16, 2020