Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crestorias deal is that its an actual game with an original plot and the gacha element is just using past tales characters as summons, like hearts ds. Its fairly different from the crossover mobages theyve been making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Didn't they already make a mobile tales game? Is this yet another one?

If you count the discontinued ones, this one is the ... 9th? There were the 3 flip phone ones, the Phantasia one which was the worst possible version, the one that got re-released as Reve Unitia on the 3ds, Link, which was the first gacha, and Rays and Asteria are the only 2 that still exist, but yeah, Bamco does love its smartphone games.

Endorph posted:

Crestorias deal is that its an actual game with an original plot and the gacha element is just using past tales characters as summons, like hearts ds. Its fairly different from the crossover mobages theyve been making.

Yeah, that and it's apparently going to differentiate itself from Rays by being turn-based and by retooling the characters' original stories as if they were in-universe instead of Rays' method of being fanfiction based on copies. Like, everyone is from Crestoria's world in this version, but apparently going to do their original story lines with tweaks to fit that. Asteria kind of worked that way to start too, iirc.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 27, 2020

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

They also made iOS Hearts, which still actually works* since unlike Phantasia it doesn't talk to a server.

* if you don't upgrade iOS past the version which drops 32-bit app support

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Actually semi-interested in Crestoria.

I wonder if my phone can even run it without rolling over and dying.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wonder what part of the Tales team worked on this, because that'll probably be important.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/07/scarlet-nexus-announced-for-xbox-series-x-and-xbox-one/

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyCdiZ10Tgc

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 7, 2020

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Crestoria is having an open beta in Canada and Indonesia through early next week. I'm trying it and the story translation is pretty good and the writing itself enjoyable, if pretty brief. Plus is that plot beats are punchy, but it also means that you go from zero to your dad indignantly asking why you're not down with his child slavery/organ harvesting op to make sure you know things are Dark.

Can't really judge the gameplay yet, pretty standard element wheel stuff, but yowza does the TL take a dive outside of the story, to the point that some stuff is misleading and none of the descriptions for equippables are really understandable. Really hope that stuff is placeholder or something.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

arise officially no longer coming out this year

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1276154037017206790?s=19

not really a surprise, it seemed a likely delay even before covid

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Not surprised but definitely disappointed. Was hoping for new Tales to play while I'm stuck inside

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

seems like Crestoria might be out soon, since it's supposedly installing to some people now but is "under maintenance"

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/tales-of-crestoria-app-install-now-available

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

and now it's out

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

man the music from the main series should be this chill

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Asking for my brother if Eizen in Crestoria? It seems like the rest of the main cast is but he wasen't able to summon Eizen in the tutorial battle or whatever for some reason.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think that's all the characters, they just give you a large pool to draw from for that initial free one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I know it's a mobile game and not to expect much but making a turn-based Tales game seems to be exceptionally missing the point

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

You want Tales of Rays then. Well you did, anyway.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So far this has a story that's so more interesting than all of those other mobile titles and also some full-fledged ones.

Music is awesome, too.

Too bad about all the mobile poo poo.

edit: welp, found the boss they wanted you to pay money for, oh well

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 17, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Crestoria's themes seem really interesting.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1042468865182060544

Eddain
May 6, 2007
This game is really grindy, they should've added in an auto-repeat or at least some skip function for the fights you've cleared.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's an auto battle option as well as a 2x speedup in the top left corner.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So I'll be playing Tales of Graces F, do any of you have any cool tips & tricks to share with a newbie

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rush the childhood arc, there's no real point to sticking around and looking for side content or anything during it and the game really opens up after it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

So I'll be playing Tales of Graces F, do any of you have any cool tips & tricks to share with a newbie

For some weirdass reason one of Richard’s spells (Vengant Fangs) has absurdly little windup so you can chain cast it together to do a ton of damage. I think that’s the only thing the game won’t tell you, there’s a lot of tutorials. Oh yeah, try going out of your way to play as everyone since some of the tutorials only play after controlling someone.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Terper posted:

If you're coming from older Tales, know that everyone is fun to play including mages

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

look up a map of the early game fort dungeon. youll know when you get there. youll know.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

look up a map of the early game fort dungeon. youll know when you get there. youll know.

Ugh.....

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

lol oh man

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I don’t remember if they have a tutorial for this but spells cast faster the more actions you take, and side stepping counts as an action if you want to prime the pump

e: also micromanaging titles will probably drive you crazy, I rec leaving the settings on auto and maybe checking every so often in case there’s one you want to rush

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The map of the fort is easy. It's a perfect 3D grid with symmetrical paths.

It's just that the first time you go there, random paths are blocked off in a way that's unpredictable and unmarked, so the game wants you to take the long way around and there are like 3^4 possible long ways that could be and it's really easy to get turned around while trying them all and the game provides no guidance except "in the southwest."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Titles don't just give you abilities you learn, they also have specific bonuses you get just for having them equipped so feel free to swap to something you already mastered for it's specific ability if you're having trouble with a boss or whatever, there are plenty that will just... negate damage below a certain threshold or do other busted stuff like extending how long hourglasses work (ask me about killing the future arc final boss in less than 60 seconds without letting them move)

Also don't worry too much about the minutiae of crafting if you just want stuff to get stronger, the combinations that increase stats the most are fine (usually they're not great for increasing the weapon's value though). Like, unadorned or stuff like that. Also the stuff is just color coded to usually tell you the good one to pick.

Cheat for the card game and take a picture with your phone on the highest level. Just gently caress it.

You have to go out the butt. It's the only way.

The Colonel posted:

rush the childhood arc, there's no real point to sticking around and looking for side content or anything during it and the game really opens up after it

There are like, discovery points with unique skits and a few quests if you're a completionist, but yeah nothing terribly important.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

The map of the fort is easy. It's a perfect 3D grid with symmetrical paths.

It's just that the first time you go there, random paths are blocked off in a way that's unpredictable and unmarked, so the game wants you to take the long way around and there are like 3^4 possible long ways that could be and it's really easy to get turned around while trying them all and the game provides no guidance except "in the southwest."

and also the entire map looks the exact same.

also on an unrelated note, crestoria's ost really makes me wish they'd get rid of sakuraba already. iunno whos doing the crestoria ost but its definitely not sakuraba and its really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C020YJgm50U

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

and also the entire map looks the exact same.

also on an unrelated note, crestoria's ost really makes me wish they'd get rid of sakuraba already. iunno whos doing the crestoria ost but its definitely not sakuraba and its really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C020YJgm50U

That seems really solid but I don’t think it’s great battle music tbh

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

That seems really solid but I don’t think it’s great battle music tbh

Does this do anything for you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk-cfqxtD4s

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean crestoria's not a regular tales game so battles aren't as intense-feeling. i think the tempo fits turn-based

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9GnUE-Wf2A

And I chose Hard mode for Graces because lol gently caress it take me on a ride

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's fine, it just means you'll get more bonuses.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Junpei posted:

Crestoria's themes seem really interesting.

I'm interested to see where they go with it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just discovered today that some Tales games are on sale at Humble: Symphonia for $5, Berseria and Zestiria for $10 each, and Vesperia Definitive for $15. The only Tales game I've ever played was Destiny, and I remember that I enjoyed it.

What are the threads opinions on which order to get the games (not sure if I can afford all of them right now. Gotta see how bills pan out after missing some work first...)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Kheldarn posted:

I just discovered today that some Tales games are on sale at Humble: Symphonia for $5, Berseria and Zestiria for $10 each, and Vesperia Definitive for $15. The only Tales game I've ever played was Destiny, and I remember that I enjoyed it.

What are the threads opinions on which order to get the games (not sure if I can afford all of them right now. Gotta see how bills pan out after missing some work first...)?

You want Berseria, do not buy Zestiria.