Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There are worse voices making more amateurish mistakes out there but the most-inexplicably-and-egregiously-and-intentionally?-annoying answer for my money is Michael Barbaro in The Daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Either the annoying guy from Reply All or the Up and Vanished host who turns every sentence into three with awkward pauses.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Reply all guy is my vote

Travis McElroy a close second

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Retronauts' Benj Edwards is like if you took the red shirt guy from that old World of Warcraft convention Q&A video and made his voice slightly deeper and also made him think that being very knowledgeable about his individual niche meant he could speak with equal confidence on subjects he knows nothing about to the point of slamming the breaks on the conversation to argue with his co-hosts whenever they disagree or challenge him on anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFnGjyPYxjM

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Most annoying podcaster out there? My vote is Elliott Kalan.

The thing that bothers me about him is that he is knowledgeable but then he breaks down into a tangent, usually in song format. He doesn't have to resort to that wackiness. I don't know how the other flop house people deal with him.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Most annoying podcaster out there? My vote is Elliott Kalan.
Chris Hardwick? He gets amazing guests all the time on his podcast (ID10T, used to be Nerdist) but man do I find him annoying. On one hand, he has these great guests and gets them to really open up about all sorts of topics. The relaxed atsomphere is great. But then he won't shut up himself. I get that it's a conversation so he has to talk too, but he spends so much of it trying to impress his guest through pseudo-intellectual bullshit or making dumb jokes; it's a real struggle to listen to sometimes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Right? Chris Hardwick talks more about himself than Marc Maron, like he's on par with whatever actually interesting person he's talking to, as if they're colleagues or peers. At least Maron actually is a peer and talented and accomplished in his own right.

Meanwhile Hardwick is out-celebritied by his old roommate Wil Wheaton.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Goddamn does my feed get cluttered with PREVIEW eps sometimes
Just made me unsubscribe from a bunch of podcasts i'd added to try at some point or was planning to get back into :shrug: it gets kinda annoying

The Apple Podcast people have claimed they are working on such a feature, delivering previews or alt content into a side feed that doesn’t disrupt the main, but considering the only feature they have delivered in the last four years is getting bigger cover art in as many places as possible, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Podcast Republic app has a feature to filter out episode downloads by custom keywords, like preview, prequel (looking at you 'how did this get made'), live, rerun, etc. Not sure if it's on iOS though.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Spikey Willow posted:

Chris Hardwick? He gets amazing guests all the time on his podcast (ID10T, used to be Nerdist) but man do I find him annoying. On one hand, he has these great guests and gets them to really open up about all sorts of topics. The relaxed atsomphere is great. But then he won't shut up himself. I get that it's a conversation so he has to talk too, but he spends so much of it trying to impress his guest through pseudo-intellectual bullshit or making dumb jokes; it's a real struggle to listen to sometimes.

Imagined posted:

Right? Chris Hardwick talks more about himself than Marc Maron, like he's on par with whatever actually interesting person he's talking to, as if they're colleagues or peers. At least Maron actually is a peer and talented and accomplished in his own right.

Meanwhile Hardwick is out-celebritied by his old roommate Wil Wheaton.
The very best turnaround on this was the Nerdist Harrison Ford interview where Ford just talks down to him the whole time with a very noticeable "Who the gently caress do you think you are? You little poo poo" attitude

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oops, double post

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Snowy posted:

the annoying guy from Reply All

You're going to have to be more specific...

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think it's PJ Vogt...though he's really helpful with the tech support segment.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

evilpicard posted:

You're going to have to be more specific...

The one with the laugh who seems to only be there to be a dick.

Not the earnest, relatively likable guy.

I’m bad with names :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is there a kitschy name for the one host who's not as good as the others and yet is consistently the loudest and smuggest and most annoying?

e: found it it's my posting

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 16, 2020

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Spikey Willow posted:

I want to dislike Hardwick but when I used to listen he had so many delightful interviews, like with Tom Hanks or Schwarzenegger (where they were supposed to be promoting Sabotage but Arnold just discussed his early days in America charmingly.) I know Hardwick did/was accused of something sketchy a few years ago, but I'm not gonna pretend Nerdist wasn't an enjoyable listen. And at least it gave us Jonah Ray, he's still great when he pops up on stuff.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Even accounting for taste it's pretty tough to argue that a guy who was a professional gameshow host, actor, standup comedian, and musician has the worst voice in podcasting. Getting burned out on him after listening to Nerdist for years and hearing his anecdotes and turns of phrase a million times, on the other hand...

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Elliott Kalan is a motherfucking saint. I hate nerd voices in general (no offense), but his only bothered me for a little while.

Though, I do listen to that show pretty much non-stop when I'm doing work around the house or gardening. It's my go-to, not really paying attention but need to hear people talking podcast.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Even accounting for taste it's pretty tough to argue that a guy who was a professional gameshow host, actor, standup comedian, and musician has the worst voice in podcasting. Getting burned out on him after listening to Nerdist for years and hearing his anecdotes and turns of phrase a million times, on the other hand...

Yeah this is probably the key thing. There probably aren't many people on Earth to whom one could listen only to the sound of them speaking for hundreds of hours and not start to find them irritating. I know my wife regularly points out that I'm repeating an anecdote I've said before or laughing at my own jokes. I also used to interview famous people for the web in the days before podcasting, but I'm sure if you listened to me have 150 conversations you'd start to want to give me a wedgie too.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ariza posted:

Though, I do listen to that show pretty much non-stop when I'm doing work around the house or gardening. It's my go-to, not really paying attention but need to hear people talking podcast.

My podcast for that is The Morning Stream. It’s a nerdy, inoffensive, chit chatty daily morning show that’s well produced. They have a lot of regular guests like Tom Merritt, who comes in to talk about tech. Otherwise it’s the usual geek culture stuff but made by reasonable adults who have more normal American lives than anyone I know.

Solid easy listening.

https://www.frogpants.com/tms

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I used to listen to Lore, but had to stop a couple of years ago because Aaron Mahnke's voice really started to get to me. His delivery of some words just started driving me up the wall.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I thought Chris Hardwick was non persona grata these days?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

I thought Chris Hardwick was non persona grata these days?

I mean, people who want an excuse to justify their irrational hatred of him are still clinging to it but after literally nobody else ever came forward and everyone he worked with said he was great and he was investigated without finding anything most people have moved on and accepted that it was just trash-talking from a bitter ex after a messy breakup and there but for the grace of God go we all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it was one of those things where the 'trash talk' had a lot of solid proof of terrible behavior but he was mister soft boy nerd so it became a 'but I'VE been around him and he never spent years emotionally abusing ME' and we just kinda forgot it after the people he told to investigate told him he was actually the real victim. She made the classic blunder of being like a couple months too early in sharing her traumatic event before it became the cause celebre in hollywood to pretend to care about.

I mean, I get it, sometimes really great artists have dark sides. Kubrick and Hitchcock were incredibly cruel to their cast (especially women) but produced masterpieces, Polanski is a rapist but his work is forever ingrained in cinematic history regardless, and Chris Hardwick has five shows where he goes 'wow wasn't that pop culture really great?' and comedy specials where he goes "ARE THERE ANY NERDS IN THE AUDIENCE?????" for an hour.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 18, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Imagined posted:

Yeah this is probably the key thing. There probably aren't many people on Earth to whom one could listen only to the sound of them speaking for hundreds of hours and not start to find them irritating. I know my wife regularly points out that I'm repeating an anecdote I've said before or laughing at my own jokes. I also used to interview famous people for the web in the days before podcasting, but I'm sure if you listened to me have 150 conversations you'd start to want to give me a wedgie too.
This is why I have a firm no McElroy rule. I've nothing against then personally and I've found them very funny in the past but I'm just done with them

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Does anyone still listen to How Did This Get Made because I dropped them after like 2 episodes and heard they got worse, especially with the overabundance of live shows

We Hate Movies is way funnier anyway, I almost crashed my car laughing at the one mailbag episode where they just spontaneously did Klingon voices and now whenever people bring up Shrek online I have to respond with "he look like Shrek"

Zeether fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 19, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I dropped How Did This Get Made in like 2015 because it was getting insufferable, then I found We Hate Movies shortly after that and never looked back. WHM is way funnier than HDTGM ever was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've listened to a lot of bad movie/generally make fun of movies podcasts but WHM is the only one I've stuck with for years, let alone subbed to a patreon for.

I'd love to know some other good ones, though, that can hit that balance of good riffs and movie discussion and all.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

I mean, people who want an excuse to justify their irrational hatred of him are still clinging to it but after literally nobody else ever came forward and everyone he worked with said he was great and he was investigated without finding anything most people have moved on and accepted that it was just trash-talking from a bitter ex after a messy breakup and there but for the grace of God go we all.

Makes sense. She just wanted to publicly lie so that angry men on the internet would harass her every day until they moved onto some something else. Nobody else came forward, probably has nothing to do with said online abuse and that he and his Hearst wife have literal billions at their disposal. Makes sense. It’s this weird thing women do where they lie about a serious crime in order for publicity. Makes sense. All my messy breakups with powerful people, I make sure to falsely accuse them of a crime so I can ruin my life for several years. It just makes more sense than “a man treated a woman like poo poo” tbh. Especially “a man whose Walking Dead aftershow I’m a fan of treated a woman like poo poo”

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
you make some valid

POINTS!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Riptor posted:

you make some valid

POINTS!

:vince:

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Tig Notaro has a new podcast out today, Don’t Ask Tig. Will Ferrell is on the first episode! It’s pretty funny. They are giving (questionable) advice to listener questions.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Awesome she's one of our favorite comedians.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That one standup album where she talks about losing her mom, and cancer, is just raw as gently caress and yet loving hilarious and beautiful and just one of the greatest fulfillments of the real power of comedy ever and if she never did anything else she would still be a legend. She's the best.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Does any podcast talk (not at length) about important battles? I have been obsessed with the last run of Revisionist History episodes about the firebombing of Tokyo. I love his style in general, but I also like they are fairly bite sized while managing to get across how important the story is.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Deep cover has been pretty entertaining so far.
It's about an fbi agent who went undercover in a biker gang. A lot of the stuff you expect, but they also go out of their way to show another angle (family).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What Had Happened Was has been fantastic so far, it’s interviews with Prince Paul that cover his history as one of the most creative producers in hip hop. You’d know him from classic De La Soul, Gravediggaz, Chris Rock albums, and plenty more.

He’s funny, humble, and has lots of gems about some crazy experiences. The host is a good interviewer, and a huge fan, which makes for a fun listen.

https://starburns.audio/podcasts/what-had-happened-was/

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
edit: never mind, misunderstood the request

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 27, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/granitelefty/status/1287847379287396355?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean to be fair My Favorite Murder is more to blame for the suburban 'I don't answer the door for anyone there are too many crazy people who should just be locked up forever' kinda true crime freaks, Sword and Scale is to blame for the 'we should just execute everyone accused of a crime, also crazy people are scary', it's two different forms of freaks that both have cultivated carefully