Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

NonzeroCircle posted:

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/steve-vai-is-planning-an-entire-album-of-8-string-instrumental-guitar

The patron saint is potentially causing a singularity for this thread, an album of 8 string Vai

He’s looking like GE Smith there and it gave me a horrible vision of the two of them playing together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There's some super cheesy Maryland public television program I saw years ago with Paul Reed Smith and G.E. Smith talking about guitars to a bunch of kids.
PRS being PRS had some obnoxious dragon inlayed PRS.
I never saw it on TV again.
Maybe I was having a fever at the time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Snowy posted:

He’s looking like GE Smith there and it gave me a horrible vision of the two of them playing together

helps to remember that he is just a nerd

e: this was in related and it looks cool imo

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/dunlop-announces-auto-return-version-of-its-feature-packed-cry-baby-mini-535q-wah

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 15, 2020

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thumposaurus posted:

There's some super cheesy Maryland public television program I saw years ago with Paul Reed Smith and G.E. Smith talking about guitars to a bunch of kids.
PRS being PRS had some obnoxious dragon inlayed PRS.
I never saw it on TV again.
Maybe I was having a fever at the time.

Paul Reed Smith has an entire series of Dragon guitars, and that series is absolutely peak Stupid Music poo poo.

Each one is the product of some poor luthier spending dozens of hours painstakingly inlaying hundreds of specifically differently colored minerals into the shape of a big stupid loving dragon, the end result being something that looks like it came straight off the bedroom wall poster of the basement dwellingest D&D fan ever, and you can buy your very own for the low low price of around $15,000 - $20,000 a piece for what is ultimately the kitchiest loving instrument ever.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 16, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GreatGreen posted:

Each one is the product of some poor luthier spending dozens of hours painstakingly inlaying hundreds of specifically differently colored minerals into the shape of a big stupid loving dragon,

I would absolutely apply for that job

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

I would absolutely apply for that job

Imagine Larry Ellison calling you everyday to scream at your for hours on end about why it's not done and oh yea can we make a custom textured cerulean paint from his beard trimmings?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That double neck dragon guitar kinda owns.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

sigher posted:

You fucker

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sigher posted:

Only kinda?

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Paul Reed Smith has an entire series of Dragon guitars, and that series is absolutely peak Stupid Music poo poo.

Each one is the product of some poor luthier spending dozens of hours painstakingly inlaying hundreds of specifically differently colored minerals into the shape of a big stupid loving dragon, the end result being something that looks like it came straight off the bedroom wall poster of the basement dwellingest D&D fan ever, and you can buy your very own for the low low price of around $15,000 - $20,000 a piece for what is ultimately the kitchiest loving instrument ever.

"We choose to make the gaudy dragon guitar in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too."

- Paul Reed Smith

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

My guitars are gonna cost a lot and be lovely but still cool somehow and ppl still buy em, I made mandolins I think, once upon a memory. - Jake Gibson

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My wife sold a PRS custom with a seahorse on it to a bluesdoctor in her time at SW and the commission paid the down payment on our car.

The guitar was actually relatively tasteful for a gaudy PRS, and was featured in one of the PRS calendars, but I'd never buy one. My SE semi-hollow that cost like a fifth the price is plenty for me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I am Otis posted:

My guitars are gonna cost a lot and be lovely but still cool somehow and ppl still buy em, I made mandolins I think, once upon a memory. - Jake Gibson

Uuuh you mean Chad Gibson? Versus the Virgin Fender?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I'm going to be and play left handed, but not make any lefty models for a long rear end time - Orville Gibson.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

Iron Prince posted:

crossposting:

now you can have t o n e m o t h e r b o a r d

Just showed this to my brother who said it's no good, the board itself has to be made from wood.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
well he's right. the more fragile floating point operations can survive in a tonewood motherboard where they seem to be eliminated or squashed in the crystal lattice of a regular fiberglass mainboard. it comes down to that

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

My wife sold a PRS custom with a seahorse on it to a bluesdoctor in her time at SW and the commission paid the down payment on our car.

The guitar was actually relatively tasteful for a gaudy PRS, and was featured in one of the PRS calendars, but I'd never buy one. My SE semi-hollow that cost like a fifth the price is plenty for me.
Same. I tried to convince myself because of how good my SE turned out after a little rework on the fretboard + getting locking tuners that I'd keep an open mind and consider buying a Maryland PRS, but gently caress that. If I buy another 6-string guitar (in both of my currently sorta active bands I play 7 strings), I'd rather get something that's at least on the sensible price-range.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Uuuh you mean Chad Gibson? Versus the Virgin Fender?

Actually, Leonardo Fender was a sex addict who died having sex with a little thing that would become known as... The Telecaster.

Chad Gibson is the gay grandson of Ted Gibson, and I have sex with Chad. Well, I should say, he has sex with me.

Rock on, brother

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I am Otis posted:

Actually, Leonardo Fender was a sex addict who died having sex with a little thing that would become known as... The Telecaster.

Chad Gibson is the gay grandson of Ted Gibson, and I have sex with Chad. Well, I should say, he has sex with me.

Rock on, brother

:eyepop:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I am Otis posted:

Rock on, brother

i hosed him first

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i hosed him first

But not better

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

well he's right. the more fragile floating point operations can survive in a tonewood motherboard where they seem to be eliminated or squashed in the crystal lattice of a regular fiberglass mainboard. it comes down to that

lol

This is really good.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Quarantine has me listening to way too much psychobilly, and the entire genre is just ripe with stupid music poo poo thanks to boiling down to “what if 1950s horror films had their soundtracks written by confused and weirdly apolitical punk musicians”. The coffin bass is obviously top tier stupid music poo poo (helped by Nekroman actually playing some good lines and managing to do fast slap upright with heavy steel strings with a pretty heavy touring schedule) but some of the other bass antics are dumb-yet-awesome, like jumping on basses.

Trying to figure out the best/dumbest effects to add to the little clicky piezo behind the fingerboard of my upright. Hell, the clicky upright pickup (and how much of a chore it is to get the actual pickup to not feedback in a loud setting) is such a strange thing, but it’s also incredibly appealing to my lizard brain that I have a pickup specifically to make hitting the fingerboard come through speakers. So far, best has been using a fuzz pedal and pitchshifter to get weird distorted booms.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hedningen posted:

Quarantine has me listening to way too much psychobilly, and the entire genre is just ripe with stupid music poo poo thanks to boiling down to “what if 1950s horror films had their soundtracks written by confused and weirdly apolitical punk musicians”. The coffin bass is obviously top tier stupid music poo poo (helped by Nekroman actually playing some good lines and managing to do fast slap upright with heavy steel strings with a pretty heavy touring schedule) but some of the other bass antics are dumb-yet-awesome, like jumping on basses.

Trying to figure out the best/dumbest effects to add to the little clicky piezo behind the fingerboard of my upright. Hell, the clicky upright pickup (and how much of a chore it is to get the actual pickup to not feedback in a loud setting) is such a strange thing, but it’s also incredibly appealing to my lizard brain that I have a pickup specifically to make hitting the fingerboard come through speakers. So far, best has been using a fuzz pedal and pitchshifter to get weird distorted booms.

Have you heard the word of our good lord HM2?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Thought of this thread while tidying up, I'm the stupid music poo poo btw, it's me:

Not shown: couple of boutique clones (buy decibelics, do NOT buy wren & cuff or LWA lmao), bunch of clones i've made, three more MIJ HM2s owned by other band members... Considering working on a heaps tiny SMD build so I can just fit it into the guitar in the first place

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
please stop, i can only get so erect

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Top right and bottom left really letting the team down tbh

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now I want an hm-2 gang tag

E- I only have one but it’s lasted me about 27 years

Snowy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 22, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

Thought of this thread while tidying up, I'm the stupid music poo poo btw, it's me:

Not shown: couple of boutique clones (buy decibelics, do NOT buy wren & cuff or LWA lmao), bunch of clones i've made, three more MIJ HM2s owned by other band members... Considering working on a heaps tiny SMD build so I can just fit it into the guitar in the first place

gently caress yea

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Concatenation posted:

This is the kind of stupid I can get behind.

I only have one MIJ myself, plus 2 non-boutique clones (tc Eyemaster and Behringer HM300) and one I built myself.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How do they sound chained?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the hm300 gets by on style alone

i wonder if the pink housing was a nod to the old dod thrashmaster

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want some boutique behringers that are all metal and built like tanks but look exactly like the cheap ones

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Snowy posted:

I want some boutique behringers that are all metal and built like tanks but look exactly like the cheap ones

I demand that a Waza Behringer have sparkly paint.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I actually gave my hm300 to one of my friends lol

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Snowy posted:

If Behr rehoused the SF300 in a sturdy metal casing they would destroy the fuzz market. They're a bugger to rehouse or there would be a cottage industry doing it already.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Have you heard the word of our good lord HM2?

First thing I did - technically a Walrus Audio Red, though. Boosted it pretty nicely.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

darkwasthenight posted:

If Behr rehoused the SF300 in a sturdy metal casing they would destroy the fuzz market. They're a bugger to rehouse or there would be a cottage industry doing it already.

They do make one in a sturdy metal casing. Behringer owns TC and they make the Eyemaster.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

They do make one in a sturdy metal casing. Behringer owns TC and they make the Eyemaster.

Had no idea they owned TC.

The TC Mojomojo has been on my board for years. Best 40 bucks I've ever spent.

I have the pink Berhinger HM clone. Its great. Its good enough that the band Gatecreeper uses them live. Their entire sound is old school death metal riffs with that HM-2 sound. I was surprised when I saw them live, the only pedals the one guitarist I was near had was that bright pink clone and a volume pedal... That's all you would ever need I guess 🤘

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

darkwasthenight posted:

Best thing I ever did was rehouse 2 of them in a single enclosure, one in fuzz position 1 and the other in 2 with an order switcher in between. It's good being able to ruin someone's day in two completely different ways with a little tap of the foot.