Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

xzzy posted:

Is that set even possible? How are they fitting a wheel in there that can handle 10 digits, or 12 months?

If you look at one of the zoomed in pictures it looks possible they made it out of 2x2 curved slopes with one number on each slop, but I can't envision how the math works out.

You could do the tree on fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I love it and would buy it immediately for my desk.

As fora different summer maybe do a beach umbrella and reclining chair sans minifig

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not entirely sure what they are using for the dials, but it looks like maybe the cylinder pieces stacked bottom to bottom or something to create that gap. If that's true, then they'd only be able to have four months per cylinder, so you'd have to take the thing apart to replace it with the next set of months.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sigher posted:

This is beautiful and I love the builds, though I'd remove the dude selling ice cream in Summer, I get it but he just looks out of place. Though with the limited space he's working with I'm not sure how to better depict Summer.

Beach setting for summer.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

Is that set even possible? How are they fitting a wheel in there that can handle 10 digits, or 12 months?

If you look at one of the zoomed in pictures it looks possible they made it out of 2x2 curved slopes with one number on each slop, but I can't envision how the math works out.

I’m envisioning like a loop/conveyor belt type setup rather than circular wheels to save space

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Beach setting for summer.

I think the idea is that it's one scene with that metal fence and tree in each season.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I am sold so hard on that calendar, especially after seeing the halloween scene. Build your own setting for each month or relevant event? That’s the best idea I’ve seen since the playable lego NES console.

Carbohydrates posted:

That's cool, honestly. I still think the official LEGO one took it in a better direction, but it's very different.

The fact that this knockoff company would rather spend dozens (hundreds?) of pieces building up the shape of the molded baseplates rather than actually try to replicate said baseplates is amusing but makes a lot of sense. The manufacturing process is totally different, after all.

Honestly the plan for me is to buy both, and then I can keep the official set as a ship!

Lego has pretty well stopped doing custom baseplates altogether, right? Outside of single color packs iirc. Makes sense with the the raised plates especially, I can only imagine getting consistent cooling without warping is a challenge.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, I can totally see the calendar getting built. It's a great idea and is actually useful as a display item. I think it's a slam dunk approval, assuming they can get the mechanism to function properly.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

OSU_Matthew posted:

Lego has pretty well stopped doing custom baseplates altogether, right? Outside of single color packs iirc. Makes sense with the the raised plates especially, I can only imagine getting consistent cooling without warping is a challenge.

As in the thin ones and not regular plates? Yep, it's been a while since they've been in anything other than modulars or the single/road packs. Even longer for raised ones.

I would imagine that the cost of the raised ones is a big reason why they're not made anymore. Let's not forget that Lego almost went bankrupt not that long ago and part of the reason was because they were making way too many one-off parts and raised baseplates would be included in that. I've got a bit of a collection of them and most of them only came in a few expensive sets.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Not sure of the original source but my buddy sent this picture to me and I loved it and thought I would share it with you all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's weird to me that Lego has distanced themselves from specialized parts due to the price while every knockoff Lego brand seems to have no problem making them all day every day.

I like it though. Specialized parts defeat the purpose of the system. It's all about finding solutions with parts that can serve multiple purposes.

Although, sometimes I think they are too stingy about it and will make a set over and over that looks wrong before finally sucking it up and making a part that makes it look right. See: 17 years of X-Wings with a wonky looking canopy. or the snowspeeders that still look all wrong to this day.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

veni veni veni posted:

It's weird to me that Lego has distanced themselves from specialized parts due to the price while every knockoff Lego brand seems to have no problem making them all day every day.

I like it though. Specialized parts defeat the purpose of the system. It's all about finding solutions with parts that can serve multiple purposes.

Although, sometimes I think they are too stingy about it and will make a set over and over that looks wrong before finally sucking it up and making a part that makes it look right. See: 17 years of X-Wings with a wonky looking canopy. or the snowspeeders that still look all wrong to this day.

The 2019 Mustang was the first LEGO car to have doors that close flush with the body.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yet when they do make that part, it becomes super useful for other things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every night I make a prayer that those 2x2 wing pieces get a tile version.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

veni veni veni posted:

Meanwhile I have dipshits posting stuff like this when I write about LEGO:

“an idiot” posted:

I see many custom pieces that simply do not make a good fit with anything. I highly doubt you could build a tower use even half those pieces...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/this-200-lego-nes-set-features-a-scrolling-8-bit-mario/?comments=1&post=39063863#comment-39063863

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Rythe posted:

Not sure of the original source but my buddy sent this picture to me and I loved it and thought I would share it with you all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah this is a complaint I see from people all of the time, especially 30 somethings, and I think it's people who are out of touch and just do not understand Lego or how the sets are built now. Like, they see how good the sets look at assume it's just a bunch of parts made specifically for that set when that couldn't be further from the truth. Custom parts are super rare and usually only made out of total necessity for a (usually pricey) set to look good. They don't understand that all of these tiles and wedges and hinges are common parts in Lego's system.

Cojawfee posted:

Yet when they do make that part, it becomes super useful for other things.

Yeah exactly. One of the only modern Lego parts I can think of that has only one use is the cockpit they use for passenger planes/space shuttles. When they make a custom canopy for a UCS set or whatever it usually immediately starts showing up in other sets, repurposed as something else.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's an especially weird complaint for a set that is as blocky and square as the NES.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well the reddit threads were all angry that it doesn't actually play video games, so the idiot that only wants to build lego towers is actually a high water mark.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

Rythe posted:

I follow obvious plant on instagram, everything they create is great. Most of them are a single unit that they randomly drop in a dollar store.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
The way mario is on the round transparent dish and he moves up and down based on that edge riding on the conveyor belts is smart.

I could def see Zelda 1 / 2 being one. top down maps for 1 and some level for 2.
Excite bike makes sense.

Not sure how metroid but work but it could be interesting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Brawnfire posted:

Did a pilot shot. Meet "The Ochre Joker" himself, Yella-Bellied Bill "Bruiser" Brannigan née O'Toole II.

I finally got around to photographing and editing and posting all the pictures from the base I built so long ago. Enjoy!

https://imgur.com/a/HxGq7AK

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah this is a complaint I see from people all of the time, especially 30 somethings, and I think it's people who are out of touch and just do not understand Lego or how the sets are built now. Like, they see how good the sets look at assume it's just a bunch of parts made specifically for that set when that couldn't be further from the truth. Custom parts are super rare and usually only made out of total necessity for a (usually pricey) set to look good. They don't understand that all of these tiles and wedges and hinges are common parts in Lego's system.

I dunno, not for the reasons you guys bring up, but I think there is a lot of validity to the complaint that the proportion of specialized vs generically utilitarian pieces is a bit of an issue in the past 15 years or so. For AFOLs and for the actual look of the finished sets it's great sure, but being a kid these days where your collection is 40% flat plates, 30% technic bricks and 10% weird curved slopes it's gotta suck a bit if you just wanna make a castle or something.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Koramei posted:

I dunno, not for the reasons you guys bring up, but I think there is a lot of validity to the complaint that the proportion of specialized vs generically utilitarian pieces is a bit of an issue in the past 15 years or so. For AFOLs and for the actual look of the finished sets it's great sure, but being a kid these days where your collection is 40% flat plates, 30% technic bricks and 10% weird curved slopes it's gotta suck a bit if you just wanna make a castle or something.

Stop buying Star Wars sets haha kid like just buy a pirate ship

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Pirate ships are a gateway drug. When I was younger I just had the Renegade Runner and Imperial Armada. Later I acquired the Brickbeard Bounty and more recently the Black Seas Barracuda, Skulls Eye Schooner and Pirates of Barracuda Bay. I’m fighting temptation not to get the Caribbean Clipper and Imperial Flagship.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah just get a 3-in-1 set or something.

w00tazn posted:

Not sure how metroid but work but it could be interesting.

Probably more or less like Mario.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I just finished building this old school (1978) technic tractor out of parts I had available: http://peeron.com/scans/952-1/1/

Let me tell you how jazzed I was to realize it had a functional lifting and lock 3-point hitch, and that one of the rear wheels drives a PTO for said attachments. Wild.

Then let me tell you how annoyed I am that the large wheels I have are not quite as large as THOSE wheels, they look the same but are like 2cm less in diameter, so the stance is all borked and the 3 point mechanism just barely taps the ground when engaging. :mad:

Anyhow, I'm gonna split the tractor and work on the front end, there are a lot of parts available now to jazz that whole section up a lot.

I really need to establish a system and sort all these parts.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah exactly. One of the only modern Lego parts I can think of that has only one use is the cockpit they use for passenger planes/space shuttles. When they make a custom canopy for a UCS set or whatever it usually immediately starts showing up in other sets, repurposed as something else.

I hate to keep returning to this, but…

I’m sure there are plenty of creative people out there that will see this as something other than 92748 Rotund Plumber Pants with Toolbelt Pattern, but I’m not seeing Lego using this piece absent a chunkyfig.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well at the very least it looks like you can swap the suspender buttons out for flesh colored ones to give him giant lego nipples, so there's that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bad Munki posted:

Well at the very least it looks like you can swap the suspender buttons out for flesh colored ones to give him giant lego nipples, so there's that.

And we have confirmed Mario has nipples, so we're good to go on that front.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Pirate ships are a gateway drug. When I was younger I just had the Renegade Runner and Imperial Armada. Later I acquired the Brickbeard Bounty and more recently the Black Seas Barracuda, Skulls Eye Schooner and Pirates of Barracuda Bay. I’m fighting temptation not to get the Caribbean Clipper and Imperial Flagship.

Just get them all. You won't be able to move on until you do. Do eeeet.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

What I find a little odd is that each color of Mario's overalls is apparently an entirely different mold, because each one has the pinout identifying what powerup it is as part of the mold. A mold for a piece that big and complex isn't going to be cheap. I don't see why they couldn't've molded each set of overalls the same, and had a glued-in insert that contained the pinout. Unless the molds themselves are modular and they can swap out the pinout section between print runs, I guess.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Pyroclastic posted:

What I find a little odd is that each color of Mario's overalls is apparently an entirely different mold, because each one has the pinout identifying what powerup it is as part of the mold. A mold for a piece that big and complex isn't going to be cheap. I don't see why they couldn't've molded each set of overalls the same, and had a glued-in insert that contained the pinout. Unless the molds themselves are modular and they can swap out the pinout section between print runs, I guess.

Oh poo poo, is that how that part works? That’s insane. I figured whatever sensor in the thing that reads the bricks and Goombas and all just read something in the pants too.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/d874a947-0fca-49bd-91fc-ae795e0fb76a

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

Oh poo poo, is that how that part works? That’s insane. I figured whatever sensor in the thing that reads the bricks and Goombas and all just read something in the pants too.

The light sensor tech is probably more expensive than the simple microswitches it uses for the overalls. The New Elementary pointed it out:

https://www.newelementary.com/2020/06/what-new-parts-lego-super-mario.html#more

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Oh snap keep forgetting you're on SA. I've been following that thread, the real winner is the guy that keeps complaining about the impact of LEGO on the environment (and everyone dog piling on him after each wrong post :v:)

Blue Moonlight posted:

I hate to keep returning to this, but…

I’m sure there are plenty of creative people out there that will see this as something other than 92748 Rotund Plumber Pants with Toolbelt Pattern, but I’m not seeing Lego using this piece absent a chunkyfig.
Obviously it's for a Mario Maker set with uh...just a big ol tub of bricks?

edit, that one dipshit is back, this should be fun:

quote:

I challenge anyone to share a picture of a tower or bridge being built using half of the pieces from one these sets that contains many non brick pieces.

japtor fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 16, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm gonna guess those dipshits don't have or know any kids because my nephews are always building crazy cool little builds using a lot of the smaller pieces that I wouldn't have been able to do when I was younger.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That thing is amazing.It took me a second to realize it was even actually Lego.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
That definitely looks like this guy's work, though I don't see that specific model on his flickr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Why does that dude have such a hardon for phallus shaped objects?