Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chuckelZ
Jun 7, 2004

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

Popete posted:

MGSV opening with a robust character creator that gets thrown out is still one of the funniest gaming moments I've ever experienced.

I spent forever putting my guy together and when that happened I said NO in horror before laughing hysterically as to why I would give a poo poo and the balls on Kojima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Can you post a link you use to get to Big MoMa’s House, Beet? I have archives access but I don’t think I have that greatest-gaming-thread-in-history bookmarked.

I just use the links in the OP to be honest :shrug:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beet Wagon posted:

I just use the links in the OP to be honest :shrug:

Clicking on Big MoMA's house gives me this:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Weird, I can access all the links.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

You might need archives.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

henpod posted:

Thank you, I understand nothing. Is this some theorycrafting, SC lore or what?

Also, very sad to see that Theatres of War is probably cancelled, I was looking forward to all the ridicule.

Star Citizen: thank you, I understand nothing

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Archives you wageslave plebescrub. Archives.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I don't have archives but I can access it?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I can get to the Big Momas House thread, and I don't have archive permissions. It may be that you must have Platinum permission to view this content

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I fixed it after Zazz Razzamatazz posted. It's in the Goodmine now for all to enjoy.

Thank Beet Wagon and Relax Or DIE for the request.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Strangler 42 posted:

I don't know why everybody is so hyped for body dragging, they've been dragging the corpse of SC around for years

:golfclap:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Athanatos posted:

I fixed it after Zazz Razzamatazz posted. It's in the Goodmine now for all to enjoy.

Thanks!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Athanatos posted:

Gold, thank you.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Athanatos posted:

Thank you Athanatos for opening this up. The history of this forsaken project is so unbelievable, and much of it deleted, hidden or retconned. We could hardly believe it even as we chronicled it here.

But for those precious SA archives (especially from 2014-2017), it would be nearly impossible now to prove much of what we saw with our own eyes. So thank you, Beet, and Relax or DIE for that!

I just dove back for a moment to Fear Uncertainty Debt. Anybody remember where this clip came from? Was that a Wingman’s Hangar clip?

Mark Skelton, in his trademark gold shirt, riding down a fireman’s pole?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 16, 2020

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
That was CitCon 2014 slash the end of TNGS.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
a friend of mine said he was playing 3.10 on the PTU

I tried to join him but apparently the PTU is like a different thing than star citizen

why does an alpha game need a separate testing branch for players??? is this normal

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

I tried to join him but apparently the PTU is like a different thing than star citizen

why does an alpha game need a separate testing branch for players??? is this normal

Cause real games have ptus, so to make the scam appear legit, SC needs one too.

This is the answer to 90% of the poo poo they do. It's basically cargo culting themselves hoping of they adhere to game dev rituals a game might manifest

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Bedshaped posted:

Of course it's normal to have 3+ levels of paid access to a pre-alpha. Imagine that's in caps and shouted.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

Because they don't want any bugs in the main/live version.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Still amazed that they've hyped the goddamn bartender AI for...years? And it sucks and looks terrible.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Caught up with the thread.

Feeling better though I still have about another six weeks or so of medical things to do.

o7 :sureboat:

wishing you luck on your recovery

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Pixelate posted:

Oh sweet snipe. This is my taxxe.

Loving the poster collection :allears:

e: more ways to die added

lmao :kiss:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Bedshaped posted:

Because then they can charge you money to play the new stuff before anybody else. If they could, they'd probably sell a service where you can watch guys model assets like twitch

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So after ordering a drink and the bartender walks away, where did he go to? A smoke break or something?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mirificus posting some other guy who posted:

I don't know your background on project managment, but my job is to analyse the viability and value of growing projects for my company.

My team is looking for signs of disasters and for hints of opportunities. If the opportunity is way greater that the risk of failure, my company invest or support the startup or inventor.

That's my everyday job and my team is considered as a good one in its field.

When we check a project, we look for the leader history and personality, we check the strategy (goal, market, customers, technologic risks...), the stade of development, the human ressources (talented people, project understanding and adhesion...). And we do this at several intervals to see the evolution.

We are not in video games but we talked about SC at the coffee machine. And we definitly would have advised to invest.

Why ? Because the strong points outweight the weak ones by a large margin.
There's a strong leader that knows what he wants and gives the vision to its team.
The scope is well defined and coherent.
The project is a unicum. There's no direct competition.
There's demand : funding is high.
There are several directors in charge of cohesive parts of the project.
There are talented people.
The project management is adapting continuously.
The project is making progress (even if it seems slow)
Now, the project is taking a lot of time (was expected)
CIG communication is not great on some points (release dates, delays, project presentation...)
Some technical challenges are still to be solved.
I've seen a lot of bad projects in my career. Mad or dishonest leaders, void projects, scams, patents or idea theft, unskilled or unadapted teams. SC has no sign of those project we would avoid.

Now my experience is not perfect. I don't have access to everything and even so, I do mistakes.

The project can still fail.

But for now, I'm confident with how the project is managed and doing.

Hope it helps :-)

Well my goodness this is certainly encouraging.
And was definitely not wholesale invented by an absolute moron.

I'm just imagining this (fictional) guy coming to the board with his due diligence report, a smug grin on his face. He confidently places his laptop on the table and plugs it in. Trusty ol' powerpoint booting up.

Slide 1: "There are talented people"

Raucous applause all around.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bedshaped posted:

Part of how you can reward people for spending an exorbitant amount of money on your broken game is to allow them to feel superior to their less spendy buddies by letting them work as free QA testers on prerelease versions.

Historically, the role of QA is a paid position. They do it for free, even filling out tickets per the specs of CIG requirements.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Solarin posted:

o7 :sureboat:

wishing you luck on your recovery

Thank you so much. I'm feeling better every day so far. <3

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Streamers playing SC is weird because there's literally no gameplay content. I see Anton playing sometimes and he just spends 2 or 3 hours wandering aimlessly around. And it you cut out the bugs and crashes all he achieves is about 20 minutes of gameplay.

I saw him get into a space legs gun battle the other day and it was so janky. He'd throw a grenade and the grenade object would appear in the exact center of his screen and shoot forward, while the arm made a vague swiping motion several inches to the right of it.

There's no gameplay, no animation, nothing works. It's just a giant bundle of static assets slapped onto some freeware unity template or something.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Athanatos posted:

Thank you!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

It has been in for a while, but - and this is important - only for the Origin 300 series (300i, 315p, and 325a) of fighters. They announced a while ago that they were finally going to let players start picking things like the color of their ship on purchase (note that 'purchase' here relates specifically to cash purchases, not in-game) and that they were going to roll the system out with the 300 series. They actually did do that, if you go drop $55 on a new 300i you can choose between three different 'included' colors, but they also included a ton of stupid monetized poo poo. For example, if you want the completely pointless "FRESH BREW KOFI" coffeemaker in your ship's stupid little kitchen area that's gonna run you about $2. The "OTTAVA SOUND SYSTEM" is another $3.

This all takes place on the website, by the way, none of this is doable in-game as far as I know. And they have yet to roll out customization-on-purchase for any other ship. They farted the system out with the newly redesigned 300i and then promptly forgot about it.

Thanks for clarifying that poo poo is real because I didn't believe it from the screencap

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

That was CitCon 2014 slash the end of TNGS

Ahhhh.

I remember skipping much of the TNGS content back then. Just never cared about the ships that much - was more interested in that Squadron game they were supposedly working on...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

YOUTUBE: No Man’s Sky - Desolation update

Hello Games: Desolation features overview

quote:

Scavenge and survive in the haunted wreckage of derelict freighters with the Desolation update. Introducing procedurally-generated freighters, more story content, combat improvements, freighter customisation and more!

That’s just the start of all the new stuff in this latest update.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Titanic posted:

Part of how you can reward people for spending an exorbitant amount of money on your broken game is to allow them to feel superior to their less spendy buddies by letting them work as free QA testers on prerelease versions.

Historically, the role of QA is a paid position. They do it for free, even filling out tickets per the specs of CIG requirements.

Technically they are doing it for minus free

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

Well my goodness this is certainly encouraging.
And was definitely not wholesale invented by an absolute moron.

I'm just imagining this (fictional) guy coming to the board with his due diligence report, a smug grin on his face. He confidently places his laptop on the table and plugs it in. Trusty ol' powerpoint booting up.

Slide 1: "There are talented people"

Raucous applause all around.

Corporate people only look at key figures and graphs that go up up up. If you look at just the key figures, star citizen is doing loving amazing. Constant growth, millions of funding, a hardcore supporters group of wealthy gamer dads, 23 trillion combinations of clothes to wear in game, a team that's inventing an entire language for the game I mean wowzers this game must be legit if that is happening.

Star citizen will still be around in the post apocalyptic hellscape that is our future

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: No Man’s Sky - Desolation update

Hello Games: Desolation features overview

That’s just the start of all the new stuff in this latest update.

I like that they are building upon and expanding that game. From an outsider's perspective it looks like the game keeps getting better, and maybe more fun.

I hate the overuse of the glitch/noise effect in the patch trailer, though.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

I hate the overuse of the glitch/noise effect in the patch trailer, though.

Yeah, it did get kind of annoying.

I hope they zero in more on combat specific improvements. FPS and ship. Especially if they’re upping the menace factor in the game.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

chuckelZ posted:

I spent forever putting my guy together and when that happened I said NO in horror before laughing hysterically as to why I would give a poo poo and the balls on Kojima.

I can't find any info on this. What are people talking about when they mention the MGSV character creator?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

Archives you wageslave plebescrub. Archives.

Huh ok, thought I had bought all the things. I'll wait until YOSPOSJeff takes over and get that.

Athanatos posted:

Thanks!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

The Titanic posted:

But there's like 3 testing levels isn't there? evocati or something and then PTU and then live? but live isn't really 'live' it's alpha or prealpha :psyduck:

like it's so obvious that they aren't making a game, they're making an increasingly complex interactive showroom floor. do the superfans try to justify the fact that this whole project is being build horizontally rather than a verticle slice at a time.

they must be aware that no game is ever developed like this, it's always going to lead to massive amounts of progress being thrown out because it doesn't mesh. this is what game progress should look like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rp0LneoBeI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dynastocles posted:

I can't find any info on this. What are people talking about when they mention the MGSV character creator?

The intro where you wake up in the hospital after being in a coma for 10 years. The doctors are about to perform cosmetic surgery to hide your identity and it opens up a full blown character creator, you could spend hours designing your new look. Immediately afterwards the hospital is attacked and the doctor killed and you never end up getting the surgery. It's hilarious.