Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There’s also a plant race involved that will be the focus of the Empyre X-Men mini series, and the couple issues of X-Men that will be tieing in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's going into old, weird and mostly abandoned mu space stuff. thank god mantis hasn't shown up, at least.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

There’s also a plant race involved that will be the focus of the Empyre X-Men mini series, and the couple issues of X-Men that will be tieing in.

The ones whose planet Phoenix destroyed?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The plant aliens that Phoenix blew up in the Dark Phoenix Saga were the D'Bari.

The plant aliens in Empyre are the Coati, who in deep lore were co-inhabitants of Hala alongside the Kree millions of years ago.

The Skrulls (who were basically a peaceful race at the time) set up a contest between the Kree and the Coati for some goddamn reason to see which one would be admitted into their bootleg United [Federation of] Planets, and the tech-based Kree were worried/mad that the hippie plant/organic Coati might actually win the competition, so they slaughtered all of the Coati contestants and declared victory, which I think was probably supposed to be a Garden of Eden metaphor when Steve Englehart wrote this all fifty years ago. Even though the Kree won the 'contest', their violence eventually led to the eternal Kree/Skrull wars.

This was all described in Englehart's run on Avengers, all for the backstory of Mantis, who was the prophecized Celestial Madonna of the surviving nomadic Coati, who resurrected Swordsman as a tree and made Mantis marry Tree Swordman to give birth to the Celestial Messiah. All of this has been politely ignored pretty much forever by anyone not named Steve Englehart, so it's confusing that it's the basis for this summer's big event.

As it turns out, Mantis (and his dad(?) Tree Swordsman) are back! And the Celestial Messiah's plan to bring peace is to turn all plants into warriors to exterminate animal life in cosmic vengeance for the Original Sin described above. The Kree and Skrull aren't invading, they're allied uneasily with each other and also the Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men, etc.

I do kind of wonder how much of this was planned in parallel/consultation with all of Hickman's Krakoa stuff.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Edge & Christian posted:

All of this has been politely ignored pretty much forever by anyone not named Steve Englehart, so it's confusing that it's the basis for this summer's big event.

It's an Al Ewing gig and Al Ewing has shown pretty good use of obscure continuity in most of his books I've read. Just based on his involvement, I'd expect it to be better-than-average as a event book that I'll try out when it hits MU.

I guess Slott is involved too and I'm not a fan so that adds into the calculus as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

This was all described in Englehart's run on Avengers, all for the backstory of Mantis, who was the prophecized Celestial Madonna of the surviving nomadic Coati, who resurrected Swordsman as a tree and made Mantis marry Tree Swordman to give birth to the Celestial Messiah. All of this has been politely ignored pretty much forever by anyone not named Steve Englehart, so it's confusing that it's the basis for this summer's big event.

Even as Mantis' stuff hit critical mass ages ago and made my eyes reflexively glaze over I do sort of admire Steve for taking that story to no less than three different comic companies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hickman is writing the Empyre tie-in for X-Men, so I'm sure that he'll make it work and it'll be an important chapter even if it isn't until down the road. The guy doesn't seem to let anything not be something in his runs.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Also Empyre has a lot to do with the blue spot on the moon which will probably impact Cyclops' polycule.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I'm pretty sure The Blue Spot on the Moon is the name of Cyclops's polycule.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Laughing Zealot posted:

Is there any idea of when the next Marauders issue drops?

Giant Size Magneto (which is good) finally has an updated publishing schedule in the back, Marauders isn't on there and it goes through the 29th, so Hopefully the first week in August.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1283566259712462848?s=20

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So a friend of mine is reading HoX/PoX and is doing a write up. She has no more than a surfave level, general population knowledge of X-Men and I am providing next to no context outside of what's in the books. This is a part of the... i don't want to call it an experiment, but experiment. She's done all of HoX #1 so far and I suggested she turn her document into a blog.

Would any of y'all be interested in reading that?

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Adder Moray posted:

So a friend of mine is reading HoX/PoX and is doing a write up. She has no more than a surfave level, general population knowledge of X-Men and I am providing next to no context outside of what's in the books. This is a part of the... i don't want to call it an experiment, but experiment. She's done all of HoX #1 so far and I suggested she turn her document into a blog.

I certainly would be. I've been wondering how Hickman's style of runs come off to people not subsumed in continuity knowledge, and this seems like it would actually answer that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Adder Moray posted:

It’d be fun to hear the thoughts of someone that hasn’t been reading X-Men for almost thirty years, or all of Hickman’s Marvel work.

First question is: What brought HoX/PoX to her attention?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

It’d be fun to hear the thoughts of someone that hasn’t been reading X-Men for almost thirty years, or all of Hickman’s Marvel work.

I did. Expressly for the purpose of fresh eyes giving it a read and seeing what they got from it.

Anyways, here it is.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Do you mind if I add?

I Started reading Xmen in early 80s (likely 83 or 84). In fact I have a strong memory of telling all my GI Joe and Transformer loving friends about the comics and they got hooked for a few years. Keep in mind there were no cartoon, toys, anything with X-Men, back then. Was totally into New Mutants, X-Factor, and Excalibur but stopped reading right before AoA started. I don't recall my exact reason for dropping the books but I was more into DC at the time and was getting sick of the glut of X-Books and Wolverine showing up in every other title. Plus Claremontm left , X-Factor was all new, New Mutants moved on to be X-Force, it just wasn't the same for me anymore.

I've tried to read some collections over the years of new stuff, but could not get into it. Wikipedia articles fill in the gap when I'm curious about some things. I've tried various jumping on points over the years but each time it seems I'm dropped in the middle of something I just don't understand. So when I heard of HoX/PoX I thought I would try again.

They've done a fantastic job so far. Honestly it seems that in some ways they've just hit the reset button so I no longer need to have a working knowledge of the last 20 years of stories to understand what's going on. If an old obscure character or plot is talked about it's done so in a way that while I may not know the history, but the writing makes me understand why a "thing" is important to the current plot right now. I enjoy the nostalgia of classic characters but am thankful they are not beating you over the head with it.

I am enjoying see all mutants now as a formidable force in the 616 were as in the 80s they were always last place.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I don't know if it count as a spoiler, but here's some promo art of the villains from X of Swords.

gently caress yeah giant crocodile with a sword!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I don't know if it count as a spoiler, but here's some promo art of the villains from X of Swords.

gently caress yeah giant crocodile with a sword!

Is Summoner that person rescued in X-Men 1 that disappeared or the person on the island that merges with Krakoa in X-Men 2, and is Arakko that island? And have we seen any of the others anywhere before?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Is Summoner that person rescued in X-Men 1 that disappeared or the person on the island that merges with Krakoa in X-Men 2, and is Arakko that island? And have we seen any of the others anywhere before?

The latter, I think. And yes. and only maybe the horsemen, afaik

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Given the Egyptian looks here, as well as the view glances we've had at the First Horsemen, I think there's an intended connection. This summoner looks a lot like the one from X-Men #2, though the dot is covering up part of the chest symbol. There's a data page in it talking about the "level" of Summoner based on what the symbol looks like.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just re-read X-Men 2 and Summoner, War, and Arakko are all introduced there. And yeah, of course they're tied to Apocalypse and this looks to involve his original Horsemen.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It appears to me that this Pog is some sort of champ

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pog your pogs, man, pog your pogs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That image has led me to discover that, amazingly, there has never been a Marvel character named Slammer.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Spent most of tonight with my spouse in our "office" which I have 3 shelves of old comic book stuff and saw this on top:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm looking and finding lots of X-Men. This is a pretty lame game!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Saoshyant posted:

Pog your pogs, man, pog your pogs.

Remember Sobek? He's back! In pog form!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Remember Sobek? He's back! In pog form!

Better than shoes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm the second cyclops

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why is Colossus jumping around a leprechaun and the hare from Alice in Wonderland?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Spent most of tonight with my spouse in our "office" which I have 3 shelves of old comic book stuff and saw this on top:

You should post some more pictures of this book. I’d have loved this as a kid. I had a Gargoyles one back in the day that was a lot of fun.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Codependent Poster posted:

Why is Colossus jumping around a leprechaun and the hare from Alice in Wonderland?
I don't know about the hare, but a leprechaun is actually an important minor figure in the X-Mythos - the first person to use Logan's proper name was a leprechaun in Tom Cassidy's auld pile.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Endless Mike posted:

I'm looking and finding lots of X-Men. This is a pretty lame game!

As for me I love finding X-Men so I think the game is fantastic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, remember when Forge would be front and center for things?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I had this as a kid and can confirm that it ruled.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

You should post some more pictures of this book. I’d have loved this as a kid. I had a Gargoyles one back in the day that was a lot of fun.

Sounds like a good idea - I am not good at taking pictures and my phone wants me to make everything sideways so I have to edit it to rotate it.

Page 1:

Page1 (clearer?)

Page 2:

Edit:

Codependent Poster posted:

I always thought he was getting hit in the back with fire and not jumping over.

Edit 2: Added what I think is a clearer image of page 1

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 18, 2020

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I had that book as a child too, looking for X-Men is a lot more fun than looking for Wally (Waldo).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gateway looks like he's tossing a pizza.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Gateway looks like he's tossing a pizza.

you don't see what he has in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
If anyone wants me to take crappy pictures of more let me know - don't want to fill the thread with something no one wants. For reference I found everything except for the gyroscope and the control panel.