Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

One time I almost got crushed by a SAN rack (I think it was a 3PAR storage rack?) when we were trying to decommission it from the datacenter floor, it was this big fucker, like full height 42u unit, that we had removed all the drives and sent them off with our e-waste company. I think the rack weighed like 2500 LBS? but yeah either way we had 4 people trying to get it down off the raised floor via the ramp at the back of the datahall and yeah you can't stop 2500 lbs on an incline no matter how many people you have in front of it if it wants to move. It put a big dent in the wall lol but nobody died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

orange juche posted:

One time I almost got crushed by a SAN rack (I think it was a 3PAR storage rack?) when we were trying to decommission it from the datacenter floor, it was this big fucker, like full height 42u unit, that we had removed all the drives and sent them off with our e-waste company. I think the rack weighed like 2500 LBS? but yeah either way we had 4 people trying to get it down off the raised floor via the ramp at the back of the datahall and yeah you can't stop 2500 lbs on an incline no matter how many people you have in front of it if it wants to move. It put a big dent in the wall lol but nobody died.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mllaneza posted:

I switched from a full to a half cage at a lovely colo once and paid their hands to do the move. Next time I'm in the colo I was very surprised to find that we had half of a full-height cage. Someone else had the other half, so we had full access to each other's stuff.

I'm confused. What was your expected outcome here? A shorty rack that's taking up the same amount of floor space just for your stuff plus a price reduction?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Tickets haven't come in yet because I'm in training.

I am already so much happier to be away from the piss hell that is Mississippi. This new job is so wildly different than anywhere else I've worked, I'm still half-convinced I'm going to wake up back in the television station. I did have one moment where I walked into the shop and saw a stack of Buffalo NAS units on a desk and I had to double-take.

Anyways, hopefully I can still contribute some meaningful content to this thread but I think we can consider the saga of larchesdanrew finally over.

It's been wild, y'all.

I'm happy for you. I've enjoyed reading and getting vicariously angry at your stories for years.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Always tip your server.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

doesn't look too micro to me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Motronic posted:

I'm confused. What was your expected outcome here? A shorty rack that's taking up the same amount of floor space just for your stuff plus a price reduction?

I'm thinking a full-height cage with two independently locking halves stacked vertically.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Motronic posted:

Much better than another product we sold. Shared cabinet, pay per U. Ended with expected disaster and nearly stolen equipment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OmniCorp posted:

Much better than another product we sold. Shared cabinet, pay per U. Ended with expected disaster and nearly stolen equipment.

I mean, those certainly exist, but I've rarely seen one in the wild. Unless the facility you were at has those (many do not) and you specified one......yeah, I would have expected exactly what you got.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

I mean, those certainly exist, but I've rarely seen one in the wild. Unless the facility you were at has those (many do not) and you specified one......yeah, I would have expected exactly what you got.

Yeah, when I'm renting from explicitly a colo place I expect to be mixed in with everyone else, that's what the "colocation" means to me, though I'd hope everyone would only have access in the presence of the person who's actually renting the rack.

Though that said, a lot of places rent by the half rack and I'd probably expect to be in literally a half rack cabinet, but perhaps that's naive.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Tickets haven't come in yet because I'm in training.

I am already so much happier to be away from the piss hell that is Mississippi. This new job is so wildly different than anywhere else I've worked, I'm still half-convinced I'm going to wake up back in the television station. I did have one moment where I walked into the shop and saw a stack of Buffalo NAS units on a desk and I had to double-take.

Anyways, hopefully I can still contribute some meaningful content to this thread but I think we can consider the saga of larchesdanrew finally over.

It's been wild, y'all.

Hopefully there'll always be dumbassery to tell us, but I hope more so that it's someone else's dumbassery. You amongst all of us deserve a decades-long break.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah, when I'm renting from explicitly a colo place I expect to be mixed in with everyone else, that's what the "colocation" means to me, though I'd hope everyone would only have access in the presence of the person who's actually renting the rack.

Though that said, a lot of places rent by the half rack and I'd probably expect to be in literally a half rack cabinet, but perhaps that's naive.

any colo I have been in(5 or 6), if you you don't pay for the square footage for a cage, you don't get a server secured against the other customers touching it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

In the facilities I've been using for the last......really long time (a mic of everything including Equinix/DRT/Telicity/random local places), yes that expectation would indeed be naive unless it was called out in the contract explicitly. In some very in demand places it's not even an option, and many people are renting by the RU not even half rack (Sovereign Telhouse, I'm looking at you).

RFC2324 posted:

any colo I have been in(5 or 6), if you you don't pay for the square footage for a cage, you don't get a server secured against the other customers touching it.

This is the case in a place with a lot of square footage that they can't fill because they are built a long time ago for something like 75w per square foot, so they've got nothing but floor space they can't fill because they don't have enough power to do so. Think DRT SFR2 (aka 365 Main in San Francisco). You go to some place at 300w/sq. ft. and they are a lot less likely to have copious floor space available and you will be paying for it (Equinix SG3 is an example of that) unless you are buying enough power - like 5kva per rack - in which case it's buried in your power cost. If you want a cage expect to bump that kva per rack higher to account for the floor space you are using that could have been racks.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Guess I got lucky, I assume because the guy I was renting from didn't have a better way to give people access to the building.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

In the facilities I've been using for the last......really long time (a mic of everything including Equinix/DRT/Telicity/random local places), yes that expectation would indeed be naive unless it was called out in the contract explicitly. In some very in demand places it's not even an option, and many people are renting by the RU not even half rack (Sovereign Telhouse, I'm looking at you).

I was renting 1U so I knew what I was getting there, but at the time I remember assuming that if I forked out for a half rack from the big boys that I'd get isolation, definitely willing to file that under late-teen naivety.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I was renting 1U so I knew what I was getting there, but at the time I remember assuming that if I forked out for a half rack from the big boys that I'd get isolation, definitely willing to file that under late-teen naivety.

The big boys often don't even bother selling less than a full cabinet, and will refer you to one of their in-house resellers. That's when you're right back to "is it in the contract?"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Motronic posted:

This is the case in a place with a lot of square footage that they can't fill because they are built a long time ago for something like 75w per square foot, so they've got nothing but floor space they can't fill because they don't have enough power to do so. Think DRT SFR2 (aka 365 Main in San Francisco). You go to some place at 300w/sq. ft. and they are a lot less likely to have copious floor space available and you will be paying for it (Equinix SG3 is an example of that) unless you are buying enough power - like 5kva per rack - in which case it's buried in your power cost. If you want a cage expect to bump that kvay per rack higher to account for the floor space you are using that could have been racks.

This makes sense

Jaded Burnout posted:

Guess I got lucky, I assume because the guy I was renting from didn't have a better way to give people access to the building.

This also fits. The places I have dealt with that had poo poo floor security had impressive door security.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Motronic posted:

This is the case in a place with a lot of square footage that they can't fill because they are built a long time ago for something like 75w per square foot, so they've got nothing but floor space they can't fill because they don't have enough power to do so. Think DRT SFR2 (aka 365 Main in San Francisco). You go to some place at 300w/sq. ft. and they are a lot less likely to have copious floor space available and you will be paying for it (Equinix SG3 is an example of that) unless you are buying enough power - like 5kva per rack - in which case it's buried in your power cost. If you want a cage expect to bump that kva per rack higher to account for the floor space you are using that could have been racks.
Equinix actually pay people to come stand near you to make sure you don't gently caress with other people's gear in the rack, or open another rack near yours with the 10 or so keys that actually exists in the world. It would be foolish to assume that the person in question knows what a given rando is allowed to touch.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The colo I used to work for did offer a few half racks, and there was a row of two of third-racks in there as well. The only shared rack I can recall is the employee-only/lab rack.

Sure, someone could have poked a pen in through the grates, but every aisle had video monitoring and three layers of badge/biometrics to get through. The suspect list would have been in the low single digits.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

If you rent a half rack and state that you don't want a neighbor in your contract, you will get a half rack that is half empty and full of blanks, but you will be paying the price for a full floor tile. I don't know any place that gives a discount unless you have neighbors in your rack.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Wow those are some amazing power densities. In CA I have more than one full rack (42) with a total of 15A to it - no ability to increase, if want more then have to pick up another full rack due to power density issues. Some of my friends use their 42U for servers on top, misc storage (snowboards, etc) on bottom.

Anyone in the bay area can probably guess which DC this is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

Wow those are some amazing power densities. In CA I have more than one full rack (42) with a total of 15A to it - no ability to increase, if want more then have to pick up another full rack due to power density issues. Some of my friends use their 42U for servers on top, misc storage (snowboards, etc) on bottom.

The ancient one I already mentioned, or a different ancient one?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have 2x 32A 240v to a half cabinet in east London, but it's not really surprising that the land of data centres also has lots of power.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

The ancient one I already mentioned, or a different ancient one?

Nah it's in Fremont.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

200 Paul?

edit: a few jobs ago, our french sister company got a honking big 3Par array that was a couple racks big, but needed 4 racks of power due to power density requirements, so the flanking racks were empty but very much needed for power.

The colo, in all their colo wisdom, cut power to those racks "because nothing was in them" and that's the story of how we had to guide a major french website through restoring postgres from backup

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 15, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

luminalflux posted:

200 Paul?

edit: a few jobs ago, our french sister company got a honking big 3Par array that was a couple racks big, but needed 4 racks of power due to power density requirements, so the flanking racks were empty but very much needed for power.

The colo, in all their colo wisdom, cut power to those racks "because nothing was in them" and that's the story of how we had to guide a major french website through restoring postgres from backup

All our 3PAR racks were fed straight 240 instead of 120v that had been stepped down. Even then, since the 3PAR arrays took up so much power we set down blank tiles for like 2 positions on either side and drew red Xs on them in electrical tape and labelled the breaker switches for those tiles for the 3PAR so we would remember that the power under those tiles was fed into the 3 3PAR cabinets in that row.

This was in a quite modern, large datacenter in Atlanta GA, 42u storage arrays take a lot of power.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 15, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

orange juche posted:

All our 3PAR racks were fed straight 240 instead of 120v that had been stepped down.

Huh? This is not how US split phase power works. 240 is two legs. 120 is one leg and a neutral.

All of my power hungry racks are fed three phase from the floor/ceiling where I break them out on PDUs where I can balance 240/208 v things over the X/Y, Y/Z, and Z/X phases.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I have 2x 32A 240v to a half cabinet in east London, but it's not really surprising that the land of data centres also has lots of power.

Pour one out for Redbus

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Motronic posted:

Huh? This is not how US split phase power works. 240 is two legs. 120 is one leg and a neutral.

All of my power hungry racks are fed three phase from the floor/ceiling where I break them out on PDUs where I can balance 240/208 v things over the X/Y, Y/Z, and Z/X phases.

Maybe I'm thinking of a different setup, but I remember us having some stupid ones that took 240, it's been years since i've been inside of a rack, and I don't plan on going back to that because it didn't pay well ($16-18/hr, because honestly remote hands is unskilled work), I'm trying to remember how the PDUs in the racks worked and drawing a blank (E: looked up a picture of the PDUs we used "HP B4G22A" and yeah it was black/white, you spread out your devices across the phases and redundant across your A and B PDUs, we also had some devices that did take power straight from the floor and we didn't open up to cable them, and it depended on the customer cabling things redundantly in a correct manner if they shipped in their own preconfigured racks.). I definitively remember taping red tape over the adjacent floor position breakers to the 3PAR to keep wandering hands from potentially throwing a breaker that shouldn't be touched and pissing off a customer mightily.

I also remember when we were doing scheduled load failover testing, one of the equipment racks that was provided to us by a customer had not been properly redundantly cabled by the customer's technicians, so instead of feeding both A and B power to each module in the racks, they fed A side breaker power to both A and B redundant power supplies in the left side of the rack and B side power to the right hand side A and B power supplies. When we threw the A side master breaker on the row, half the lights on the rack winked out and it was a mixture of laughing and despair because we knew that whatever was in the rack was toast. I don't know exactly what kind of hardware was in the rack but when the call came in to open the rack and see what was what, it was pretty funny because the power routing diagram was on the inside of the door plainly, and it was completely different than what the customer's techs had wired up.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 15, 2020

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Dammit it sounds like we're not gonna get a final conclusion if it basically depends on your boss' overheard gossip, but still, doesn't sound good for our buddy Mitch.

Do we know what Mitch's job actually is (for now)? Presumably some part of Infosec?

edit: I hope you don't mean the bears I think you mean, because if so I have to tell you I hate you

We'll get a final conclusion, but right now all I have is gossip. He's fired, he's been "allowed to resign", he's still employed but missed out on another promotion. The unanticipated cost of the new license etc got him fired, the cost was in the budget for this fiscal year anyway, the cost was too much so we're moving to another platform.

Right now the internal directory just lists him as a manager in IT. I remember that he was hired as staff but really wanted to take a leadership role, so he got upped to team lead then promoted to manager.

Re: edit: Possibly, but given that it's been ... a lot of years since I was on that campus and I'm not one of those people who ties their identity to what college they attended... (CAL 25 STANFORD 20.)

RFC2324 posted:

depends on the DC, however, it sounds like he had a ticket to do physical decommissions of some servers, found the stick in a machine and proceeded to decommission both the dongle and the licensing server that may have actually cached the license so it could be verified

so he was following directions and either got the wrong server, or failed to ask questions when a server on the list was not in the expected condition to be decommissioned in.

So this is what I've put together about what happened there:
* The dongle was plugged into, let's call it, LAX-UTIL-05.
* Right next to that (under, possibly) was LAX-STOR-12.
* Both were on the decom list; no one was quite clear about what UTIL05 actually did, but it had passed the scream test.
* While actually removing the servers from the racks, he pulled the dongle out of the back of the server, went around front to read the label, read the wrong label, and thought it had been plugged into the storage server.
* Chaos ensued.

orange juche posted:

I think warlock and their boss got cut out of the loop on the saga of Mitch. Mitch is probably done though in infosec role, everywhere, especially if the company is as big as it is implied to be.

Mitch might be able to get a job doing something completely unrelated though.

RFC2324 posted:

I don't think Mitch was in infosec, I think Mitch was onsite hardware team/remote hands person

Honestly, I think he's going to survive this, simply because 1) he did follow procedure, even if immediately destroying the dongle was a bit stupid, and 2) even if he hadn't been there, once we'd e-wasted/whatever both the licensing server and the dongle, we'd be in the exact same boat.

He might get slapped on the wrist about the tone of the email, but I doubt that's a term.

On a tangent:

larchesdanrew posted:

but I think we can consider the saga of larchesdanrew finally over.

Congrats!

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
It all seems pretty normal and safe for now, but a few weeks from now he'll be sitting in a staff meeting, and someone will reach into their purse and pull out a pork chop...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powered Descent posted:

Always tip your server.

:golfclap:
I laughed. Well done.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Bit late to the what did I break party but here you go

We had 6 data cabinets that, for some reason the previous IT guy ran 2 fibres from the server room then created a very random mesh of Cat5 between these 6 cabs. I don't think we ever fully understood where the cabling went... it just worked.

At least, until I knocked one of the 2 fibre tails in the server room with my butt (I assume) and broke it. This meant I knocked a number of those 6 buildings offline and we had to trace all the cables to get everyone back online

My boss told his boss a rat ate the cable and I got I I that one. I think since I left, the new IT guy has had fibres put in to all the cabs.

The other one I did was to do with our web proxy it was sent to sync with AD once a day and at the time, no one was allowed access to it apart from the Head of IT because omg internet access!!

There was a glitch in the sync process where if you changed name of an AD user, it broke the proxy and you had to get the head of IT to go and fix it.

Someone at my place got married, I changed her name. She then reported loss of internet - I think as a youngster I panicked because I couldnt reach the big boss and came up with the idea of deleting her AD account and recreating it new with her new name, that was my web proxy work around - which worked well

My boss has fun restoring her exchange mailbox though :(

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

angry armadillo posted:

Someone at my place got married, I changed her name. She then reported loss of internet - I think as a youngster I panicked because I couldnt reach the big boss and came up with the idea of deleting her AD account and recreating it new with her new name, that was my web proxy work around - which worked well

My boss has fun restoring her exchange mailbox though :(

I'm always amazed at how something as simple and common as a name change is such a difficult IT problem. One of my co-workers put in a name change request after getting married. She managed to get divorced before they managed to change her name in her email address.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm always amazed at how something as simple and common as a name change is such a difficult IT problem. One of my co-workers put in a name change request after getting married. She managed to get divorced before they managed to change her name in her email address.

Is that really a commentary on how slow/bad IT systems are, or a commentary on how terrible the institution of marriage is? :thunk:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

DelphiAegis posted:

Is that really a commentary on how slow/bad IT systems are, or a commentary on how terrible the institution of marriage is? :thunk:

Yes.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DelphiAegis posted:

Plenty of reasons to change your name that has nothing to do with marriage.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Motronic posted:

(aka 365 Main in San Francisco)

Yup, them. When I think back to just how loving stupid Coloserve management was back in the late 00s I should be glad that my new half-rack was all in the same "half cage".

They were the DC that did a generator test with the UPSes out-of-circuit. So when they cut the mains, well the generator did start... They were not the DC that did a generator test with the mains in-circuit and blew power for SOMA and the Financial District for 5 hours.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Soylent Pudding posted:

We can’t change samaccountname because someone in their infinite wisdom a long time ago decided to use it for username in service now, so if we rename a user’s samaccountname service now sees it as an entirely new account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Plenty of reasons to change your name that has nothing to do with marriage.

Absolutely, I was just shitposting since they mentioned the person in question getting divorced. :v:

To be fair, my wife and I still find places where they have her previous name recorded, even after we think we got them all on the last round.