Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Donkey posted:

I was able to get the smell out of my sealing ring by leaving it in the sun for a while, so baking it does seem like it might work.

Baking should work, at the cost of releasing those same smells into your home.

Once a year or so I get fed up with my silicone ice molds and bake them and am treated to a house full of concentrated freezer smell as a reminder of why I don't deodorize them in the oven. But a house full of curry aromas would probably be pretty appealing, tbh.

Maybe don't use it for a fishy ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
A few weeks ago I made this:

https://cookingwithmichele.com/2020/03/momofuku-bo-ssam-in-the-instant-pot/

And made it twice since then. It's outrageously delicious straight out of the oven, but also makes for a bunch of easy meals later in the week since you can just reheat some and drop it into ramen broth (I *HIGHLY* recommend this recipe: https://baconisafoodgroup.com/instant-pot-ramen-broth/).

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Suggestions for a relatively simple lamb barbacoa/birria recipe?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sohla for the win:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/02/braised-lamb-shoulder-with-dried-chiles-and-dates.html

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

trdn89 posted:

A few weeks ago I made this:

https://cookingwithmichele.com/2020/03/momofuku-bo-ssam-in-the-instant-pot/

And made it twice since then. It's outrageously delicious straight out of the oven, but also makes for a bunch of easy meals later in the week since you can just reheat some and drop it into ramen broth (I *HIGHLY* recommend this recipe: https://baconisafoodgroup.com/instant-pot-ramen-broth/).

Made the Bo Ssam today, did not disappoint - extremely tasty. Now I just need to figure out what else I can use the gojuchang & ssamjang with.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Finally got around to making yogurt in the IP. There's so much conflicting information in various methods I found and the one in its own manual looked...wrong somehow. Went with this in the end (it's a bit mommy blog - apologies) and it's excellent - so tasty! I did end up straining it overnight in the fridge as suggested in the notes as I wanted something a bit thicker/more Greek-ish.

I probably should have put my reading glasses on when I tested my cheap little probe thermometer that I haven't used in ages to see if the battery was still good. I forgot that the decimal point was really hard to see, it went up to the hundreds when I put it on my hand, and I had a "oh hell I have COVID!" moment ;)

Exciting pictures of yogurt follow!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's this greek chicken and rice dish I've made in the instant pot 3 times now. It has come out hosed up all 3 times because the instant pot won't come up to pressure properly so the rice burns, the chicken doesn't cook, etc... The ring looked fine but I put a new one on when I made it last week and it still wouldn't pressurize and start the countdown. I'm testing the instant pot with water now and it's coming up to pressure just fine. What's the deal? There's probably some grease spattering up on the edge of the instant pot but I tried to wipe it down the last 2 times I made it. Is that probably what's doing it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
post the recipe

sounds like insufficient water

THS
Sep 15, 2017

$40 off the duo evo plus 8 quart. im gonna make even more beans at once

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WL1XBBD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_twrwFbEXRBBVC

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

post the recipe

sounds like insufficient water

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Rice cooked at high pressure for 4 minutes with a quick release is suspect to me, I've always natural released rice.

I don't see why that recipe wouldn't work aside from that, 2 cups of liquid is plenty to bring it to pressure. You're not getting a BURN warning or something?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

angerbeet posted:

Rice cooked at high pressure for 4 minutes with a quick release is suspect to me, I've always natural released rice.

I don't see why that recipe wouldn't work aside from that, 2 cups of liquid is plenty to bring it to pressure. You're not getting a BURN warning or something?

I got the burn message the second time I made it and that's it. The first time I made it I wasn't paying attention/lost track of time and it probably cooked for at least 30 minutes without coming to pressure and the bottom half inch of rice was straight up burned. It slightly burned the other 2 times even though I was watching it and just turned it off after a certain amount of time but it was still edible.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The only problem I can see with this is if you don't deglaze the pot well enough after you saute everything. I've had stuff burn on me and not come to pressure before for a similar reason.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In between or after this recipe burning, have you made anything else that has come to pressure correctly?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

In between or after this recipe burning, have you made anything else that has come to pressure correctly?

I have not. I did run it with just water in it and it came up to pressure fine, but that's it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Does it come up to temp and hiss without sealing or just never heats up? If the former, try pressing down on the lid, also make sure the valve is closed. If the latter, I have no idea but would call instant pot or exchange it.

If anything there is too much liquid, usually 1:1 for instant pot. So you have 1/2 cup extra plus whatever moisture is left in the onions and celery. I don't see any reason it wouldn't come up to pressure for this recipe. Try making just white rice... 1:1 ratio, 3 min, natural release; and see if it seals.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What size is your IP? The 6 qt is good with 1 cup but my 8 qt needs 1.5-2 cups of liquid to build pressure.
That would explain why water alone works.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ok but there's two cups of broth in that recipe

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
True, but the rice sucks up liquid as well.

It's a bit weird though that it is the same recipe. Maybe try a different recipe, like the famous Butter chicken and see what happens.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A pot is either going to heat up or it isn't, and if it heats it will seal or not seal, there aren't a lot of variables. We know it heats and seals so it doesn't make sense that it doesn't heat or seal just because you add chicken. Might be user error.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Does it sing the song? Is the lid on right?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The lid is on tight and it absolutely builds heat. I haven’t had a chance to try and cook rice or anything yet. It’s a 6 qt and I’ve never had issues with any other recipe. There will be a slight hissing from what sounds like the relief valve but it also did that with just water when it fully sealed.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fknlo posted:

The lid is on tight and it absolutely builds heat. I haven’t had a chance to try and cook rice or anything yet. It’s a 6 qt and I’ve never had issues with any other recipe. There will be a slight hissing from what sounds like the relief valve but it also did that with just water when it fully sealed.

Are you closing the valve on top of the lid when you try to cook? Because that description sounds like the time I forgot to close it on mine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Are you closing the valve on top of the lid when you try to cook? Because that description sounds like the time I forgot to close it on mine.

Yes.

I just made rice and it worked fine. It's something with that one recipe.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The only times I've had trouble with my instant pot have been when I used it to brown things and then pressure cook them. Once I moved to searing in a separate pan those problems went away.

It didn't matter how much I scraped the fond off, if there was anything stuck to the pot when I switched to pressure mode it would cause Problems.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tricky Ed posted:

The only times I've had trouble with my instant pot have been when I used it to brown things and then pressure cook them. Once I moved to searing in a separate pan those problems went away.

It didn't matter how much I scraped the fond off, if there was anything stuck to the pot when I switched to pressure mode it would cause Problems.

Agreed with this. It seemed like the bottom of the pot just got too hot, regardless of scraping stuff off. We just upgraded to the 8 qt model that has the air fryer attachment and in the one time I tried searing and then pressure cooking it seemed to do better, but it's too early to tell.

If you're getting burn messages and you are searing beforehand, try using a separate pan. Kind of unfortunate as it is one of the benefits of the IP, but it beats having to deal with the burn message while you are trying to get dinner ready, because it's a pain in the rear end.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have definitely left more bits at the bottom with other recipes but that’s probably a likely culprit.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

I have definitely left more bits at the bottom with other recipes but that’s probably a likely culprit.

I have an 8 quart IP, and when I sear in it before pressure cooking, I scrape the bottom of the pot like crazy with half of the liquid I'm going to use (or more if needed) before starting the pressure cycle. I'm doing a huge amount of pulled pork right now (waiting for the safety to drop), and honestly with the 8 quart I have never had a problem with a burn error. Sorry to hear about your issues.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've never had a problem after browning but I do add liquid and scrape the bottom like you would do in a skillet to make a pan sauce. It shouldn't be overheating since he's adding 2 cups of liquid. Try adding the liquid first, scrape, then rice.

fknlo posted:

There will be a few seconds of hissing before enough pressure builds to seal but if it keeps hissing, even a little, something is wrong.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Lol I’ve made that recipe so many times and it comes out perfectly every time. I have some of it in my fridge right now.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

angerbeet posted:

I make a Miso Risotto in my stovetop pressure cooker 5 min on low with quick release and it seems fine really. I take it up to pressure quickly though, I don't really know anything about electric pressure cookers, if it's too slow to get up to pressure then lack of water could be an issue?

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 14, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Aramoro posted:

I make a Miso Risotto in my stovetop pressure cooker 5 min on low with quick release and it seems fine really. I take it up to pressure quickly though, I don't really know anything about electric pressure cookers, if it's too slow to get up to pressure then lack of water could be an issue?

Yooo post this miso risotto recipe, that sounds like a combination of two things that I love.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Yooo post this miso risotto recipe, that sounds like a combination of two things that I love.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/pressure-cooker-miso-risotto-recipe.html

This one. I do a lot of variations on this basic recipe but it is perfect for when Iv'e got in from work and want something quick. You can have this all whipped together in like 20-30 mins.

I've used white miso, brown miso, added seaweed etc etc.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Lol I’ve made that recipe so many times and it comes out perfectly every time. I have some of it in my fridge right now.

It's still really good when it's hosed up too.

I'm going to try the wild mushroom farrotto recipe from that book tonight. It calls for whole farro which is apparently not widely available in the US so I'm going to see how much that matters! I bought some bulk stuff at Sprouts and it's not labelled as pearl or semi-pearl so maybe it's the right stuff?

E: instant pot sealed so I’m calling that a win no matter the result

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 16, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Upgraded my hob to Induction last week and it's really great with the pressure cooker now. If you're on an trad electric I would recommend induction now.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Aramoro posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/pressure-cooker-miso-risotto-recipe.html

This one. I do a lot of variations on this basic recipe but it is perfect for when Iv'e got in from work and want something quick. You can have this all whipped together in like 20-30 mins.

I've used white miso, brown miso, added seaweed etc etc.

Hell yeah, thanks! Didn't realize it was Kenji either, his pressure cooker recipes are always on point(but not enough salt).

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Had a little mishap last night. I had a bunch of tomatoes that I had painstakingly grown from seed, and decided to make a batch of sauce. I actually wanted to do it over the weekend, but life got in the way so I ended up doing it yesterday - and getting a late start. So I got home, got them on to cook, ran em through the old Victorio strainer, and made a nice batch of barbecue sauce:

Wait, gently caress, that's not BBQ! :stare: Since I got a late start, they finally went into the canner around 11pm. I went with the pressure canner because it's a little quicker, and I wasn't quite sure if I'd end up with enough for a partial second layer of jars (I didn't). The canner came up to pressure, I set the timer, sat down on the couch for a minute, managed to fall asleep instantly, slept through the timer, and woke up at 3am :saddowns:.

As "fell asleep with a pressure canner going" stories go, it could have been a whole lot worse. But that's 20+ pounds of tomatoes wasted, along with 8 lids that are tough to find right now (I lucked last month out and got 6 dozen at an estate sale for 2 bucks). And of course the bottom of my canner is no longer flat...damnit.

On the bright side, at least all the jars sealed :v:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

JoshGuitar posted:

On the bright side, at least all the jars sealed :v:

I bet the Maillard flavors are spectacular, though.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

eke out posted:

I bet the Maillard flavors are spectacular, though.

I'm gonna empty them out and wash the jars in a bit. If it doesn't smell too horrifying I just might dip a finger in and taste it just out of curiosity. Although I'm sure it tastes like burnt garbage and not deliciously caramelized tomatoes or whatever.

Edit: for the sake of the scientific community, I dipped my finger in a jar and tasted it. It tasted almost like a really tart molasses or something. Definitely not good, but also a little different from what I was expecting. Now we all know.

JoshGuitar fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
It's apple season here, and may be old news to some, but wow is prepping apples for canning with an IP such a time saver! 6lbs on high, after washing, quartering, and very lazy coring, and I got soft, pink from peel apples. Put about 1/2 a cup of cider for liquid. After, I put the apple bits through a manual food mill, and made sauce (first step for apple butter).

Going to make a bunch of apple sauce, maple apple jam, and apple butter this weekend. Bought 15lbs of wine sap 2nds.