Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It can't phase into the floor like that tugboat up there, but still, we're hosed.

e: I will say, after watching that video, I am 100% certain that any forkfuckler who gets to drive such a rig will never set foot on land again, he'll go to whatever lengths are necessary to remain in his seat, pretending he can open the fridge and eat his mashed potatoes just fine this way, he's an operator, damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

That article has a LOT of good OSHA bits.

quote:

In mid-March, when the volume began to approach that amount, curiosity got the best of Raphael G. Kazmann, author of a book called “Modern Hydrology” and professor of civil engineering at Louisiana State University. Kazmann got into his car, crossed the Mississippi on the high bridge at Baton Rouge, and made his way north to Old River. He parked, got out, and began to walk the structure. An extremely low percentage of its five hundred and sixty-six feet eradicated his curiosity. “That whole miserable structure was vibrating,” he recalled in 1986, adding that he had felt as if he were standing on a platform at a small rural train station when “a fully loaded freight goes through.” Kazmann opted not to wait for the caboose. “I thought, This thing weighs two hundred thousand tons. When two hundred thousand tons vibrates like this, this is no place for R. G. Kazmann. I got into my car, turned around, and got the hell out of there. I was just a professor—and, thank God, not responsible.”

quote:

Up the valley somewhere, during the ’27 high water, was a railroad bridge with a train sitting on it loaded with coal. The train had been put there because its weight might help keep the bridge in place, but the bridge, vibrating in the floodwater, produced so much friction that the coal in the gondolas caught fire. Soon the bridge, the train, and the glowing coal fell into the water.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Sometimes they give each other a tug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKrp9imh_X4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/O03xppY.gifv

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

https://giant.gfycat.com/SingleValuableEft.webm

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Someone needs to spend more time playing Poly Bridge.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I enjoy how he looks all the way to the top of the pole, clearly confused how it jumped out in front of him.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/mFd6R7f.mp4

much like my posting

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That pole looks reflective and has the sun behind it, and also why the gently caress is there a pole.

I can totally believe it's easy to overlook.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Everyone's a tugboat captain until the real tugboat captain shows up

I love this just for the start of the second last paragraph. You don't see rock solid pun phrasing like that any more.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tugfucklers

Alternately: Fucktugglers

e: Tuckfugglers?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Bad Munki posted:

Tugfucklers

Alternately: Fucktugglers

e: Tuckfugglers?

RubnTuggers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I love a good mutual tugging

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
old electricity poles look cool

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that Edison's dumb DC system.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No I think that's New York

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ah, weight limit testing. Time to weigh the truck and rebuild the bridge.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

Ah, weight limit testing. Time to weigh the truck and rebuild the bridge.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

I enjoy that he's got his phone in his left hand as he gets out of the car

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Everyone's a bucketfuckler until the real bucketfuckler shows up.

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1283779042777239552

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bobulus posted:

I enjoy how he looks all the way to the top of the pole, clearly confused how it jumped out in front of him.

I saw this happen as a teenager once. I was out at the fairgrounds doing maintenance when I watched a pickup drive slowly down the spacious midway, then empty, but with large electric poles every so often.

At just about that speed, the truck inexplicably bonked into one of the poles. It didn't look like anything had happened but a small dent in the front bumper, but I started walking over anyway because I thought the person behind the wheel might have passed out or been drunk or something.

A couple seconds after I started walking towards the truck, I noticed a funny movement in the pole, which I initially took to just be shaking from the impact. I then watched in horror as the pole proceeded to shear and break off just above the base. Right about the time the power lines started audibly popping, the driver floored it and shot out of the fairgrounds as I retreated back to my truck to radio in for someone to call the power company.

The driver was pretty easy to identify, what with an auctioneering business name and phone number printed on the side. I found out from one of my coworkers that the driver was the father of the owner and legally blind, but he refused to stop driving.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ekuNNN posted:

old electricity poles look cool

those are old telegraph/telephone systems, before there was such a thing as an multiplexer which allowed different users to share lines. so every line had to be individually strung between each individual device and then the central switchbord if those had been invented yet, or if not to the telegraph office or whatever

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

It was Calvin's Dad that said that

:goonsay:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

It was Calvin's Dad that said that

:goonsay:

I know, I was just trying to find a C&H character close to the :hmmyes: guy. Clearly I failed.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

luxury handset posted:

those are old telegraph/telephone systems, before there was such a thing as an multiplexer which allowed different users to share lines. so every line had to be individually strung between each individual device and then the central switchbord if those had been invented yet, or if not to the telegraph office or whatever

That last one I believe is from Stockholm.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you want to get pissed read that article then scroll up and see what year it was written.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

That last one I believe is from Stockholm.

Yep, those are all telephone lines, not power lines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Stockholm_telephone_tower

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/YFUTF0J.mp4

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Tug?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBZZcfFAG6A

Ground support equipment is it's own category of OSHA. Played Dodgem with these when working at the hub at FedEx.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Unfortunately I believe that video is sped up and he’s actually just driving down Irohazaka at normal speed :(

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

That gif is not that far away from a pretty good loop

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtE8mR1FF5A

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Something deep down inside me was very triggered by this video and just loving knew it was a HK minibus driver. The big bus drivers are equally crazy/skilled.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

eggyolk posted:

Something deep down inside me was very triggered by this video and just loving knew it was a HK minibus driver. The big bus drivers are equally crazy/skilled.

I saw this same video being discussed in another thread...unfortunately it's fake. The bus video is from Japan but they sped it up and dubbed over with audio in mandarin or cantonese (I don't remember which).

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

have a truckfuckling:

https://i.imgur.com/jIFiAHm.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Unorthodox technique, but I'd like to see you find a faster decoupling method

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

I'm thinking Optimus Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

Sukhumvit Road Bangkok. This was taken from the steps down from the Skytrain to the street.

000044.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr