Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
in California, you have to replace your entire house with Tamper Resistant Outlets per code when remodeling...at least I did when multiple inspectors sniveled about it. As mentioned, the outlets do "break in" and get easier to use though, to the point you don't notice them after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Also helps for potential buyers with kids, later on when they sigh relief knowing they won't have to replace every one themselves.
It's straightforward, but incredibly tedious.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jenkl posted:

Also helps for potential buyers with kids, later on when they sigh relief knowing they won't have to replace every one themselves.
It's straightforward, but incredibly tedious.

I think this is just as silly. A working outlet should be left alone. Toss in those little plastic covers if it's not TR and you need baby proofing. Once it needs replacement you add TR. And working means easy in/out, grips the plug well with no sagging out, and no "wiggle room" for the arcin and sparkin.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sundae posted:

Your guess is as good as mine. There's simply no reason for it. A flush is a defined quantity of water, so a restrictor makes NO SENSE.

Just curious, was it inside the tank on the bowl refill line? Or was it the main feed to the toilet out of the wall?

My toilet valve came with an adjustable flow restrictor for the internal tube that would allow you to under-fill the bowl and save water. Internally, the valve is refilling the bowl and the tank separately, you set tank fill by the float height, and bowl fill by using the restrictor, which still shuts off when the tank is full.

I just took it off, under-filling it made me have to flush twice anyway.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

I think this is just as silly. A working outlet should be left alone. Toss in those little plastic covers if it's not TR and you need baby proofing. Once it needs replacement you add TR. And working means easy in/out, grips the plug well with no sagging out, and no "wiggle room" for the arcin and sparkin.

Yeah I wouldn't replace them for literally no reason, just if you're already going to do it...
Our home had multiple broken outlets and needed it. TR seemed obvious there.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Just curious, was it inside the tank on the bowl refill line? Or was it the main feed to the toilet out of the wall?

My toilet valve came with an adjustable flow restrictor for the internal tube that would allow you to under-fill the bowl and save water. Internally, the valve is refilling the bowl and the tank separately, you set tank fill by the float height, and bowl fill by using the restrictor, which still shuts off when the tank is full.

I just took it off, under-filling it made me have to flush twice anyway.

It was on the main line connecting into the toilet, just below the threads. The toilet tank itself also has an adjustable float height to reduce the amount of water per flush if desired. All the main-line restrictor did was make it take longer to refill the damned tank between flushes.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Ugh, yeah that's really stupid.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Sirotan posted:

Unless you have kids I'd probably swap them out anyway, I find them really hard to use myself.

I just let my son play with the outlet instead

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Andy Dufresne posted:

I just let my son play with the outlet instead

I love TR outlets.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
This may expose my lack of parenting skills but my son loves to play with my laptop charger. I am good about keeping him away from the outlets (he's only been crawling for 2 weeks), but the other day he had the laptop tip of the charger in his mouth and wouldn't let it go. I tried it myself and it turns out it gives you the same type of zing as a 9v battery. Dell chargers have some sort of lower voltage signal for communicating charger voltage so it wasn't full bore.

And now we both have super powers

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Apparently, many of those plastic cover things are choking hazards. Plus, they look trashy.

I replaced working outlets with TRs for much of my house with the arrival of a toddler. I was already going around and checking/fixing backstabs, and while you have the outlet out of the wall, might as well switch it over. The TRs are about $1 in the bulk pack. That's not going to break the bank.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how to remove a stripped hex set screw that's too small for a screw extractor bit? I wanted to disassemble my faucet to see why the heck it was letting me turn it 180 instead of 90 degrees and here we are, stripped in the least fun way.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MJP posted:

Anyone know how to remove a stripped hex set screw that's too small for a screw extractor bit? I wanted to disassemble my faucet to see why the heck it was letting me turn it 180 instead of 90 degrees and here we are, stripped in the least fun way.

You might need to glue or JB Weld in a sacrificial screw or allen key.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Basically there's four ways to remove a screw that has its normal tool interface for unscrewing it stripped out completely.
  • Modify the screw head so you can use a different tool. For example, a stripped phillips, you can use a dremel to cut a slot into the head and then use a wide flathead, maybe
  • Screw extractor. Be skilled with these because they're easy to snap (they're very very hard steel which means they're also very very brittle)
  • permanently or semi-permanently attach something to the screw so you can turn it. That means welding or epoxy or something.
  • drill it out. Assume you're sacrificing the threads inside and will have to re-tap it to a larger size. Drill bits are also pretty brittle so watch out for snapping a drill bit inside your drilled out hole.
There is of course the final "option" of just totally destroying the thing. In this case that'd be just replace the whole faucet.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

There's one more option: Drive the next size larger wrench into it with a hammer. Also works for external bolts and sockets.

If it's tiny this will likely not work.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I like to go a little larger with a Harbor Freight torx key.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

There's one more option: Drive the next size larger wrench into it with a hammer. Also works for external bolts and sockets.

This is my preferred method as well. I like the funny looks my MIL gives me when I'm liberating some cheese grade screw she's stripped somehow using a random larger driver and a hammer.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Basically there's four ways to remove a screw that has its normal tool interface for unscrewing it stripped out completely.
  • Modify the screw head so you can use a different tool. For example, a stripped phillips, you can use a dremel to cut a slot into the head and then use a wide flathead, maybe
  • Screw extractor. Be skilled with these because they're easy to snap (they're very very hard steel which means they're also very very brittle)
  • permanently or semi-permanently attach something to the screw so you can turn it. That means welding or epoxy or something.
  • drill it out. Assume you're sacrificing the threads inside and will have to re-tap it to a larger size. Drill bits are also pretty brittle so watch out for snapping a drill bit inside your drilled out hole.
There is of course the final "option" of just totally destroying the thing. In this case that'd be just replace the whole faucet.

Dead on. I recommend the turn it into a slot head option if you have a Dremel.

If you don't have a Dremel this is an excellent excuse if you want one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You do have to be careful when slicing a screw head in half to make it a slotted, if you go too deep the head will split and come off the shaft instead of turning. "Too deep" is impossible to determine until it comes apart, and for really lovely screws any depth of cut could be too deep, so you just gotta take a light pass and see if you can get the screwdriver to grip and if not, take another pass, etc. and kinda ease into it. innuendo

Drilling out a screw driven into a softer material almost definitely results in the drill bit deflecting off into the softer material though, so bear that in mind too.

LloydDobler posted:

This is kind of head modification but yeah it's possible sometimes. I've broken a couple of screwdriver handles by hammering on them though, so watch out for that.

I also didn't mention the application of heat, but kind of on purpose. There are cases where it can help, but also a lot of cases where it's dangerous, and some where you're destroying the temper on some tempered steel and will invisibly, permanently weaken the part, so don't do this unless you're sure it'll be OK.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Leperflesh posted:

This is kind of head modification but yeah it's possible sometimes. I've broken a couple of screwdriver handles by hammering on them though, so watch out for that.
This is what you want friend!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-5-16-in-Slotted-6-in-Demolition-Screwdriver-48-22-2860/302212554

Demolition driver, designed for hammering, all tools not designed for it carry a small risk of exploding and sending shards into your eyeballs.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

So I've got a cold storage room in my place, in the basement under the front porch.

We'll be gutting the room (slash have) to repair what must have been a god awful concrete pour, combined with PO incompetence. Bringing someone in for that piece.

What I'm wondering is, are there any good (even if expensive) options to frame/finish the walls and ceiling, with insulation, that are thinner than the standard 2x4 framing? That's all I'm really familiar with and Im not quite sure where to start looking.

I figure there's going to be a trade-off between thickness, insulation, and cost, but I'm open to spending a bit more to do this well.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
First sewer repair quote in: 25,000 dollars.

gently caress me in the rear end, that's >10% of the value of my drat house.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sewer repairs are $$$.. got anyone else coming plumbing varies a LOT.

What's wrong with yours?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

So I've got a cold storage room in my place, in the basement under the front porch.

We'll be gutting the room (slash have) to repair what must have been a god awful concrete pour, combined with PO incompetence. Bringing someone in for that piece.

What I'm wondering is, are there any good (even if expensive) options to frame/finish the walls and ceiling, with insulation, that are thinner than the standard 2x4 framing? That's all I'm really familiar with and Im not quite sure where to start looking.

I figure there's going to be a trade-off between thickness, insulation, and cost, but I'm open to spending a bit more to do this well.

The standard for that mess around here would be rigid foam. More expensive, but higher r-value for the thickness.

Bonus points that when applied directly to a basement wall it acts as a vapor barrier too when properly taped.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

tater_salad posted:

sewer repairs are $$$.. got anyone else coming plumbing varies a LOT.

What's wrong with yours?

Had it inspected when I bought the house 2 years ago, was told there was debris in the line but it was sound.

Sewer inspector was wrong. It was a blister, the line is partially crushed and will need replacing in the next year or so.

No, there is no recourse for going after any inspectors, in any US municipality.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Today I learned, not too surprisingly I guess, that there are sewer stents.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Blindeye posted:

Had it inspected when I bought the house 2 years ago, was told there was debris in the line but it was sound.

Sewer inspector was wrong. It was a blister, the line is partially crushed and will need replacing in the next year or so.

No, there is no recourse for going after any inspectors, in any US municipality.

Is it underneath someone else's concrete driveway?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

therobit posted:

Is it underneath someone else's concrete driveway?

Nope, straight out the front of my house to the street. None of the repair is under my driveway or my foundation (not that this quote repairs either. There would be a 4 foot wide trench halfway into the street, though.

The real issue is depth. My house has a basement so it is an 8 foot excavation.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Motronic posted:

The standard for that mess around here would be rigid foam. More expensive, but higher r-value for the thickness.

Bonus points that when applied directly to a basement wall it acts as a vapor barrier too when properly taped.

Thanks. That makes sense.

How might I go about putting up drywall (or alternatives)? I'm thinking just strapping, but when I've seen that it seems you end up driving everything through the foam and into the concrete. I'm a bit put off on putting more holes in the drat thing.

I figure the room would want 2 outlets and an Ethernet port ideally, thinking protruding boxes for those to keep the walls as thin as I can. Just run it between or below the strapping if possible.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This roof thing is being a real nightmare. My insurance company asked me to get someone to put up a tarp and I did, it cost me $450. That goes toward my deductible I suppose. The leak is around the exhaust fan for the bathroom so as one does they tarred up the border with the tarp and the roof since it's a flat roof. If they just laid it down it would get water underneath it as soon as it rained. Then they sent out someone to inspect the roof and they didn't have any tar with them to lift it up and then replace it. And now they want me to have another contractor come out to remove the tarp then they will have another inspector come around and then I need to have the contractor come out a third time to replace the tarp.

Insurance company knew it's a flat roof and I told the inspector the day before that it was a flat roof and that had been tarred around the edges of the tarp to ensure that it was water tight.

Just absolute loving morons.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Jenkl posted:

How might I go about putting up drywall (or alternatives)? I'm thinking just strapping, but when I've seen that it seems you end up driving everything through the foam and into the concrete. I'm a bit put off on putting more holes in the drat thing.

I figure the room would want 2 outlets and an Ethernet port ideally, thinking protruding boxes for those to keep the walls as thin as I can. Just run it between or below the strapping if possible.
I've heard of using furring strips for stuff like that, you'd have to get em thick enough to hold a concrete anchor well and also the drywall screws, it would create an air gap which would help insulate, foam boards are surprisingly low r value but they help create a barrier for heat bridging if you tape the seams.

You would probably have to countersink the concrete anchor heads, so choosing that material to hold up and last would be key.

I don't know if dampness would be a concern (for the wood or wall), just be aware a vapor barrier can work against you as well and trap moisture places. Maybe consider sealing the concrete or black tar stuff? That's out of my wheelhouse some.

Furring strips can be anything though and as thin as you want within reason, might not accommodate your electrical boxes that way though.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 22, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

Good advice above......but an alternative is to do the walls up with rigid foam as a vapor barrier and actually build a false wall. Maybe 1" rigis foam taped as a vapor barrier, then build a 2x4 or 2x3 wall to also insulate with traditional cheaper methods and the sheetrock that? It's all very situation specific.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

Good advice above......but an alternative is to do the walls up with rigid foam as a vapor barrier and actually build a false wall. Maybe 1" rigis foam taped as a vapor barrier, then build a 2x4 or 2x3 wall to also insulate with traditional cheaper methods and the sheetrock that? It's all very situation specific.

If you're going that route you can also look into chemical sealants as a vapor barrier on the concrete, then build the false wall with traditional insulation.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Blindeye posted:

Nope, straight out the front of my house to the street. None of the repair is under my driveway or my foundation (not that this quote repairs either. There would be a 4 foot wide trench halfway into the street, though.

The real issue is depth. My house has a basement so it is an 8 foot excavation.

Are you 300ft from the main? $25K is a lot of money, even in FU-pricing terms, for digging a trench and $100 in PVC.

With that kind of quote, I'd be asking around to find someone that can run an excavator for 2 separate days, and just have the plumber do the connections. Someone to run an excavator all day is less than $1000, a thousand for a day's rental & delivery, thousand to the plumber (way high), thousand for permits, and you're still nowhere near 1/2 that quote.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
$25k is a lot unless the city has hilarious requirements for digging in their street. It wouldn't surprise me if half the cost or more was cutting and repairing the street. Either way, second bid time if you can wait that long.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

Are you 300ft from the main? $25K is a lot of money, even in FU-pricing terms, for digging a trench and $100 in PVC.

With that kind of quote, I'd be asking around to find someone that can run an excavator for 2 separate days, and just have the plumber do the connections. Someone to run an excavator all day is less than $1000, a thousand for a day's rental & delivery, thousand to the plumber (way high), thousand for permits, and you're still nowhere near 1/2 that quote.

60 feet total distance, ~15 feet of which is street and the rest is my property. Requirements are pretty much the correct fill materials (can't re-use the onsite material, apparently, but I am less than 10 miles from 3 different suppliers of engineered fill because of large industrial projects my town services). I hated this quote because they didn't break down their costs but did give a list.

The first four have been described to me as costing between 800 and 3000 dollars depending on the orientation of the piping in my street:
- Obtain Required Permits
- Provide Required Street Construction Bond to City of Richland
- Pay Fee to Cross City of Richland A/C Water Main
- Prepare Traffic Control Plan and Provide Traffic Control as Required

The rest is the actual work. This exact job has been done in my neighborhood and takes a 3 man crew with one excavator approximately 8 hours:

- Saw Cut Asphalt, Remove and Export
- Excavate and Tap Existing Sewer Main
- Connect Service from Main to Existing Plumbing Outside of House
- Backfill and Compact Trench
- Patch Asphalt Where Necessary

Asphalt patching is on a side-street and is about a 4x15' patch.

Mind you this is a deep enough trench that it needs prefab shoring dropped in.

The first bid I got was just before COVID for 18,000 using a breaching head (so two holes dug at the house and the street). Neighbors 2 doors down had theirs done last week for 20k (including replacing their galvanized water main) and waiting on a bid from their contractor. Neighbor across the street paid 25k. A few plumbers refused to even do the work, some aren't returning calls (including the one recommended to me by a friend who does home renovation for a living in the area). Mind you this is not a coastal city but there is a construction boom out here, which even being a COVID hotspot isn't seemingly affecting.

I was originally budgeting 12-15k based on my civil engineering experience, but this poo poo is beyond the pale and almost smells of regional price-fixing. I have at least 2 more bids coming in, but would like to get 8 (which would cover every contractor licensed to do work in the region).

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 23, 2020

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Blindeye posted:

I was originally budgeting 12-15k based on my civil engineering experience, but this poo poo is beyond the pale and almost smells of regional price-fixing. I have at least 2 more bids coming in, but would like to get 8 (which would cover every contractor licensed to do work in the region).

I appreciate you posting the breakdown. I guess every possible factor is working against you to drive the cost up (except maybe the cheaper fill.) It sounds more involved than a typical sewer lateral.

You may want to look into if your state has a loans program for sewer/septic work. PA does, for example: http://phfa.org/programs/pennvest.aspx There's no income limit, and the interest rates are lower than you'd get through any other loan (HELOC, etc.) Even if you're comfortably positioned financially, I'd seriously consider taking a 1.75% loan, knowing other investments (like pre-paying the mortgage) are likely to do better.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

I appreciate you posting the breakdown. I guess every possible factor is working against you to drive the cost up (except maybe the cheaper fill.) It sounds more involved than a typical sewer lateral.

You may want to look into if your state has a loans program for sewer/septic work. PA does, for example: http://phfa.org/programs/pennvest.aspx There's no income limit, and the interest rates are lower than you'd get through any other loan (HELOC, etc.) Even if you're comfortably positioned financially, I'd seriously consider taking a 1.75% loan, knowing other investments (like pre-paying the mortgage) are likely to do better.

Nah, I have financing lined up that is competitive with that, it just angers me because I literally wanted to avoid this specific thing and still got hosed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Look into trenchless sewer replacement. It sounds like a huge amount of your costs is the trench, if trenchless is possible it could save a big pile of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Look into trenchless sewer replacement. It sounds like a huge amount of your costs is the trench, if trenchless is possible it could save a big pile of money.

The 18k quote was trenchless. One contractor said they would need to bring the equipment in from a city 3 hours away, still another said their COVID crew is too small to use it.

Trust me, I've been spending all my excess brainpower on dumb sewer poo poo.