Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Lmao I got one my uncles to delete a post that shared a pic of candace owns with the caption saying something like "The democrats want whites and blacks afraid of each other because they want racial and class warfare!"

I merely pointed out that the only time I see racial warfare brought up is when racists are afraid of being treated like the way they treat black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Panfilo posted:

What are some resources to address that stupid arguement? I see it come up a lot.

“By definition only someone who is a racist would think that argument is remotely valid or convincing.”

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

If food why water?

If water why food?

If both why sleep?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

lmao at these people viewing people practicing basic hygiene and safety during a pandemic as mewling, pathetic cowards who are only doing it because the government (which totally wants to kill all of its citizens btw) tells them to

It's a cloth mask, dude, you're not the protagonist of a right wing political thriller for not wearing one, you're just an rear end in a top hat

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

The best response I saw was :iiaca:

If the seatbelt works, why the airbag?
If both work why the brakes?

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Imagine an adult who doesn't understand that sometimes multiple precautions need to be made in order to ensure safety. Rough estimate but I'd guess that describes about 30% of American voters.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Don't forget that these are the same people who will ask "If global warming, why cold?"
Ignoring the fact that we were having 70° days in December.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

the_steve posted:

Don't forget that these are the same people who will ask "If global warming, why cold?"

Can't imagine why people would be so dumb!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1065400254151954432

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

borkencode posted:

The best response I saw was :iiaca:

If the seatbelt works, why the airbag?
If both work why the brakes?

if going faster is better why slow down?

*slams into school brickwall at 90*

cfhsdjkfsdfjlsd(if having blood is good why not blood outside?)

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

the_steve posted:

Before that it was "If evolution is real then why aren't monkeys humans yet, huuuuuh? Answer that you godless commie!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tek79 posted:

Before that it was "If evolution is real then why aren't monkeys humans yet, huuuuuh? Answer that you godless commie!"

that's my favorite, because Darwin's theory was based on observations of different-looking finches! If he'd seen that all the finches were the same best-finch design everywhere then he wouldn't have thought of the theory of natural selection to explain it!

gargh

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

the_steve posted:

Lol Louisiana hits high 80's-90 F in December now sometimes. We truly do not have seasons anymore.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Sharia Medical Law

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I read the first one and it was enough.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Big fan of "I wanted to save my son from vaccines" and "my son got sick a lot."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"Also, your great grandparents died drowning in their own fluids, probably because they didn't believe in freedom enough."

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I love how they had to hide their Bible under the floorboards.

That thing is too perfect not to be parody. It's written well enough and has enough talking points that I'm calling fake.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

NOBODY will TELL US what's IN VACCIznES

Also can you believe this list of poo poo that's in vaccines?!? Wow!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I heard they're made of chemicals.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Still have to wear masks in 2050 or whenever that is because they still haven't sorted out COVID-19 after 30+ years.

I wonder if the rest of the world still doesn't let Americans in.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CellBlock posted:

Still have to wear masks in 2050 or whenever that is because they still haven't sorted out COVID-19 after 30+ years.

I wonder if the rest of the world still doesn't let Americans in.

Every now and then a United Earth medfloat noses its way across the ocean, but Canamerexican drones swarm them immediately.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Probably the best "joke" in there assuming it's real is the implication that we still haven't solved the COVID crisis. Which essentially implies Americans are still too stupid to mass quarantine for like a month.

EDIT: or have I missed something by not having the same brain worms as them? Are they saying COVID is gone but that the government still just makes us wear masks for the hell of it?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Grimdude posted:

Probably the best "joke" in there assuming it's real is the implication that we still haven't solved the COVID crisis. Which essentially implies Americans are still too stupid to mass quarantine for like a month.

EDIT: or have I missed something by not having the same brain worms as them? Are they saying COVID is gone but that the government still just makes us wear masks for the hell of it?

You're wearing a Garrison as your avatar, what do you think?

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I don't think this belongs anywhere else, and I'm just here to scream into the void. I decided that it was time to confront my family members. I have an anti-mask, anti-vax, every alt-right talking point aunt and uncle and I decided that I would draft a respectful letter to them just asking them to where a mask. This isn't important to read, but I think it's very respectful, and I posted it with the intent of having people share it:

I know you haven’t heard from me in a long time, the fact of the matter is that I unfriended you ages ago, but I can’t sit idly by and not reach out. I know it sounds exaggerated, but lives depend on spreading this information. I want you to know that this comes from a place of love, not judgement. I know the world is scary and there are hundreds of millions of things we don’t know. As a species, we make these things up to feel safe and in control. In a world of media and narratives, we want things to make sense to us and follow a linear, narrative path. We want things to have a clear cut good/bad guy and the fact of the matter is that human life isn’t like that. We try to derive meaning from things because it’s easier to admit that then be aware that life is random chaos, it is fleeting, and there are, simply, things we do not know.

That being said, I only want to talk about one thing. Masks. I’ve seen all the evidence against it, anywhere from our freedoms being infringed upon to wearing masks is a type of mind control. Even the liberals have started spouting something about Obama setting up cameras to identify people and masks hides your identity to try to get the right on our side. I don’t believe any of this. What I believe are things that are coming from experts and scientists. Not only US experts and scientists, but top world government scientists and experts say to wear masks. For this to be a conspiracy, most of the world would have to be in on it, and that’s just not plausible.

This isn’t about freedom of choice, but a responsibility for all of us. A responsibility for all of us Americans, a responsibility for the entire world, a responsibility for our brothers and sisters, parents, loved ones. We have to stop the spread of this deadly disease for the world's sake, not just ours. This is bigger than us as individuals.
Please, take a moment. Think about how many people would have to be part of this conspiracy to make it work. Think about how many world governments would have to be involved. Just take a moment, and you could save a life.

I don’t expect a response, I don’t want to argue, all I ask is that you take a moment.

Here's the good stuff: This was her response, and mine can be seen at the end. Spoiler alert: I, unfortunately, didn't take the high road.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Grimdude posted:

I'm guessing to them it's all some garbled mess of "deep state" "they" stuff mixed with a bit of "they're lying to you about it all through the lame stream media!" that all comes together in their pudding brains as some grand conspiracy by the shadow government to keep us all under some nefarious misconception of "control". Covid never existed and the dead bodies piling up are all crisis actors but they keep telling us to wear masks because something something they're controlling us!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

MussoliniB posted:

Here's the good stuff: This was her response, and mine can be seen at the end. Spoiler alert: I, unfortunately, didn't take the high road.

Honestly given the other responses you could have given, that is both the high road and loving hilarious.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Another good joke in there is "the government won't let us teach our kids at home!" from the Forcing-Kids-Back-To-School-In-A-Pandemic Party

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Grimdude posted:

You're looking at it too literally. They believe that COVID isn't real or at worst, is real but isn't worse than a Flu virus. They believe the government has chosen to latch onto it as a boogeyman to get people to put on masks as a sign of obedience, so they can demand more of them. The chip thing refers to getting a microchip installed in your skin to track you and pay, which is a big fear especially in fundie circles, in addition to typical anti-vaxxer fears about being forced to inject "poisonous" vaccines into their kids.

The weird conceit of the story seems to be that people dont die from presentable diseases in this prospective reality since it talks about it in the past tense so that's a pretty rough scenario to set up and then try and contrast yourself with.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

You're looking at it too literally. They believe that COVID isn't real or at worst, is real but isn't worse than a Flu virus. They believe the government has chosen to latch onto it as a boogeyman to get people to put on masks as a sign of obedience, so they can demand more of them. The chip thing refers to getting a microchip installed in your skin to track you and pay, which is a big fear especially in fundie circles, in addition to typical anti-vaxxer fears about being forced to inject "poisonous" vaccines into their kids.

The weird conceit of the story seems to be that people dont die from presentable diseases in this prospective reality since it talks about it in the past tense so that's a pretty rough scenario to set up and then try and contrast yourself with.

Its not even a particularly new fear. They were releasing fundie warnings like this when bar codes were first introduced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lknW2mzXMMY

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dienes posted:

Its not even a particularly new fear. They were releasing fundie warnings like this when bar codes were first introduced.

You're a fucker for getting this earworm back in my brain.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dienes posted:

That song is kind of a bop

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dienes posted:

I don't know if it's still the case, but for a long time Hobby Lobby refused to put bar codes on its merchandise for this reason.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think the implication is that they do but the government covers it up to justify the benevolence of their control, much like we are told that the government covers up all the damaged vaccine victims.

The main character mentions that her son pulled through the flu because of all the immunity-strengthening colds he had as a child, which children don't get anymore. To an anti-vaxxer this means that the flu is killing way more people now. When grandson says school taught him it's bad to be sick, that's proof of a horrifying dystopia where kids aren't allowed to be kids and build up their immune systems through exposure to viruses.

Basically you have to keep in mind it's written for an audience that already shares a bunch of really stupid assumptions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dienes posted:

Not going to the supermarket today is good advice for 2020.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Meanwhile we are going about our daily lives in a normal way every single day down here in NZ. Admittedly our border is closed* but that's because the rest of the world hasn't gotten its poo poo together. And all it took was all of us pulling together for a few weeks of lockdown, plus succumbing to dreadful totalitarian government advice such as "wash your hands" and "use hand sanitiser" when the lockdown ended.

* I thought the US of all places would cum in its pants at the idea of doing this.

How do the fundie nutjobs handwave this away? I mean there are webcams and all that all over the place so they can log on and actually see us leading normal lives if they like. Or are we all crisis actors on a Kubrick film set?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Weatherman posted:

Meanwhile we are going about our daily lives in a normal way every single day down here in NZ. Admittedly our border is closed* but that's because the rest of the world hasn't gotten its poo poo together. And all it took was all of us pulling together for a few weeks of lockdown, plus succumbing to dreadful totalitarian government advice such as "wash your hands" and "use hand sanitiser" when the lockdown ended.

* I thought the US of all places would cum in its pants at the idea of doing this.

How do the fundie nutjobs handwave this away? I mean there are webcams and all that all over the place so they can log on and actually see us leading normal lives if they like. Or are we all crisis actors on a Kubrick film set?

Other people arn't real to them, let alone other countries....

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Weatherman posted:

For a lot of them, the fact that you're now living your lives as normal because you've pretty much eradicated the virus in your country is just proof that liberals are overblowing the whole thing and that we should just open up schools fully this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Weatherman posted:

How do the fundie nutjobs handwave this away?
We are a very dumb country.