Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
On looking at it further, I've realised that what I wrote up there is a bit unfair in one respect. The information regarding whether the values are relative or absolute is actually contained in the database (in other tables). The reason why the external file is involved is that the correct output of the program may be absolute values or relative values, depending on what the external file says. All 4 combinations of conditions may in principle occur (the values are relative and should remain relative in the output, the values are relative but need to be absolute in the output, the values are absolute but need to be relative in the output, the values are absolute and should remain absolute in the output).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Well that makes it all better then.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
The application I'm replacing was built by slightly less crazy people, unfortunately they weren't really giving it the attention it deserved and so there are loads of 500-line methods that perform one database query after another and then just jam all the variables together at the end (also some of the variables inform how other variables should be interpreted). And the chief guy (who is retired now) was a subject matter expert and didn't feel the need to really document half this poo poo, so occasionally to figure out what something is for I spend time following through C++ code with single-letter variable names.

I've been given free reign to rewrite this, but everything I do takes ten times as long as I think it will and I'm worried that they will get impatient and ask me why it's taking so long and the only answer I can give is "well basically everything about this is a pile of bollocks so I have to spend time figuring everything out really carefully"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I wondered if we worked for the same company there for a while but there are enough differences, coupled with the fact that just lmao at us being allowed (or able) to rewrite this behemoth. Just chiming in to commiserate with a fellow "entity" table sufferer

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hammerite posted:

The application I'm replacing was built by slightly less crazy people, unfortunately they weren't really giving it the attention it deserved and so there are loads of 500-line methods that perform one database query after another and then just jam all the variables together at the end (also some of the variables inform how other variables should be interpreted). And the chief guy (who is retired now) was a subject matter expert and didn't feel the need to really document half this poo poo, so occasionally to figure out what something is for I spend time following through C++ code with single-letter variable names.

I've been given free reign to rewrite this, but everything I do takes ten times as long as I think it will and I'm worried that they will get impatient and ask me why it's taking so long and the only answer I can give is "well basically everything about this is a pile of bollocks so I have to spend time figuring everything out really carefully"

Spend a little bit of your time documenting your efforts. Write up a TDD for the rewrite, write up some estimates, when you hit a snag and have to spend three days figuring out what a component does, document your progress. Then when someone says "why is this taking so long" you have something concrete to point to to show "yes, I'm doing work, it's taking longer than I thought, because this was completely hosed and I have to reverse engineer the entire thing"

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/drasticactionSA/status/1284180770777636866

I would have loved to have been in that Slack after I sent this...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

https://twitter.com/drasticactionSA/status/1284180770777636866

I would have loved to have been in that Slack after I sent this...

Haha, cool! Did you come across it by accident or do you scrape for it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Here, have some vintage coding horrors:

https://twitter.com/Sosowski/status/1285135003895160832

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

That auto var made me do a double take. Very prescient.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

auto meant something else back then.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
auto is the exception to the rule of infuriating c++ syntax reuse.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

auto meant something else back then.

Yes, that was the joke.

C has type inference, so long as the type you want is int.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Coding horror technology has advanced greatly since that book was published
https://twitter.com/jfbastien/status/1285390568957177856

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I thought Perl was the language where you could just type any old garbage and it runs

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Hammerite posted:

I thought Perl was the language where you could just type any old garbage and it runs

Not just type.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Hammerite posted:

If you want a language explicitly designed so that any old garbage is a valid program, can I recommend Jot?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iota_and_Jot posted:

Jot is the regular language consisting of all sequences of 0 and 1,
code:
jot = "" | jot "0" | jot "1"
The semantics is given by translation to SKI expressions. The empty string denotes I, w0 denotes (([w]S)K), where [w] is the translation of w, and w1 denotes (S(K[w])).

Iota and the other universal combinators are in some ways nicer in that the boil Turing completeness down to a language consisting of a single operator, but I admire Jot's dedication to making any string meaningful.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Something I have always wanted to wrote but is not legit code is something like this

code:
class Foo{

Foo(){
	 printf("hello world\n");
    }

}

Foo foo;

void * main = main;
*sniff* *sadface*

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Hammerite posted:

Can't locate object method "any" via package "old" (perhaps you forgot to load "old"?) at main.pl line 1.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/afilina/status/1286418391616688130

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Source

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I see a face with a mustache.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

NihilCredo posted:

I see a face with a mustache.
On the Something Awful comedy forums that's one of the best possible outcomes regarding potentially visible pictures.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What is that dev doing to their indents??

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Extremely cursed joke post

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Look, most of my code is godawful for a lot of reasons, but at least I can say it's not bad because I massacred my indentation. :stonk:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

When the new dev interprets the column line as a target rather then a suggested maximum.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I see somebody installed the Arkanoid IDE plugin.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What tool do you have to install to gain control of your own indentation?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ola posted:

What tool do you have to install to gain control of your own indentation?

gcc

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

https://twitter.com/RichardWestenra/status/765488378951376896

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Missed "zip" and misspelled "qux", would not trust this guy with my metasyntactics.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Zopotantor posted:

Missed "zip" and misspelled "qux", would not trust this guy with my metasyntactics.

I've always seen it spelled "quux"

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Kilson posted:

I've always seen it spelled "quux"

Don't forget the part where further variables get names like "quuux" and "quuuux", because when your code is incomprehensible, that means you're super smart.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Quuuux Skywalker

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Web development in 2020:

https://i.imgur.com/gHqkycX.mp4

(This is from a live TV sports website, not some local development gone wrong)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Volguus posted:

Web development in 2020:

Good. That favicon.png need to exist.

Maybe the server can produce a HTTP 204 has a passive agressive answer.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

All you have to do is look at the console on Chrome home page to see what a cluster gently caress things are. That page always has warnings or errors of some variety.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Volguus posted:

Web development in 2020:

Genuinely hope this is to make the favicon animate in the tab while the user is on the site, so that it shows some sort of hideously pixelated live action because marketing knew about a place that wasn't already getting poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Volmarias posted:

Genuinely hope this is to make the favicon animate in the tab while the user is on the site, so that it shows some sort of hideously pixelated live action because marketing knew about a place that wasn't already getting poo poo up.

I wonder if the browser would obey to a refresh header in the favicon

Content-type: image/png
Refresh: 0,url=favicon.png
Cache-control: no-cache