Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Cap 1 was shortly after he was in Doctor Who.

Toby Jones has been in a whole bunch of prominent stuff (including Harry Potter before Doctor Who) and worked with Moffat again in Sherlock.

His episode of Sherlock was a shining light in that awful final season, he was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jerusalem posted:

His episode of Sherlock was a shining light in that awful final season, he was fantastic.

Yeah even though it's hard to disentangle it from the finale it was still the best episode in years and he was a big part of the reason why.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Toby Jones is heading down the road of David Warner in that he’s game for almost anything, and absolutely uplifts the material, whatever it is, far more than it deserves. And it’s all absolutely great.

If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend his starring turn in horror/thriller film Berberian Sound Studio.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Weirdly enough, I remember the Sherlock episode being billed as the "Jimmy Saville" episode, so I felt weirdly relieved when it turned out that Jones was just a serial killer.

Also, Sherlock season 4's finale was so bad it took me a while to process that it was really happening. The Moffat giveth, the Moffat taketh.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Astroman posted:

That would be good but either way the Dream Lord should have come back.

Every time one of you wankers mentions the Dream Lord I have to go watch that opening TARDIS scene again where he just roasts the Doctor and this time all the rest of you have to do it as well, it's the law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbCJFG18V20

:mad: "...I'm surprised you haven't got a little purple space dog, just to ram home what an intergalactic wag you are" :mad:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

He sells that loathing so well. :allears:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Toby Jones? More like Toby Jowns.

He has been the best part of everything I've seen him in. I quite liked Detectorists but I have to admit that I refused to watch a second season because I felt that the story was complete after the first.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Looking for more Toby Jones?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love now off the wall the Torchwood audios are getting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Toby Jones? More like Toby Jowns.

He has been the best part of everything I've seen him in. I quite liked Detectorists but I have to admit that I refused to watch a second season because I felt that the story was complete after the first.

Please watch the second season, it is beautiful. I loved that show so much.

Also, God that theme song :kiss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q58Gm18-IMY

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

You can't post that without posting the synopsis

quote:

Rhys is planning a lads' night in. Barbie in the back yard, few tins, mates and bants. But the only person who turns up is Ianto. Who hasn't been invited. Hell is other people, especially when they've brought board games.
Something goes wrong. The two of them could be trapped together for eternity at a barbeque where the sausages never cook, and worse, the brewskis remain forever out of reach.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Is this what we wanted to Save Ianto Jones for?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is this what we wanted to Save Ianto Jones for?

Gareth David-Lloyd writes them now, so apparently yes?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Davros1 posted:

You can't post that without posting the synopsis

This is literally from AO3.

...right?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

This is literally from AO3.

...right?

I mean all Doctor Who has been fanfiction for many decades anyway...

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/The66Ramblers/status/1282839478189518849?s=20

Aptly enough, this only works if you forget Eight.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
REGULARLY on TV, I think, is the way to put it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

REGULARLY on TV, I think, is the way to put it.

Would that describe this era of the show?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Open Source Idiom posted:

Would that describe this era of the show?

Touché.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/mercurysdyke/status/1283153753575694336?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh my god. :aaa:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Man who Never Would!

The Doctor is gonna bust everything in yo rear end

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Senor Tron posted:

Aptly enough, this only works if you forget Eight.

But Eight often forgets about Eight!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Oh my god. :aaa:

This is that Gun vs Frock thing again, isn't it?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Unfortunately, Maurice Roeves, who played Stotz in the Caves Of Androzani has passed away at the age of 83.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53415740

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I finally got around to watching the season finale. It wasn't good.

Some fun moments, but overall it felt insanely rushed (when it was getting close to the end I was convinced we'd end the season on the Doctor escaping, because there's NO WAY they'd just resolve everything else in 5 minutes, right? Wrong!), the huge revelations just watered down the Doctor for me (I don't like it when the Doctor is some special cosmic chosen one destined for greatness, I like it when the Doctor is a scrappy adventurer with a can-do spirit and strong desire to do good), and the ending could not have screamed "the Master and some of the Cyberman Timelords survived".

And honestly when you're trying to build up tension over the Doctor blowing up a "death particle" bomb, what the hell are you even doing? Did anyone seriously think for a moment that boop, the Doctor's going to just erase herself from the universe? Or was it possibly obvious from the word go that the new character created for the finale would do it instead?

Urgh. God drat it all anyway.

E: and I realize that getting into a show requires suspension of disbelief, but normally the tension is "ooh, how will the Doctor get out of this one!" or "ooh, will the Doctor's companions survive this?", or "ooh, what trickier predicament will the Doctor end up in as a result of this?". But when the scenario is "the Doctor has a suicide bomb that destroys all biological life on the planet, but it will kill the Doctor as well. WILL SHE DIE?!" then you'd have to be the World Champion of Suspension of Disbelief to really get any tension out of it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 15, 2020

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I just finished rewatching the entire show with a friend who hadn't watched everything before. Smith was her only Doctor, which is great but man, did she enjoy his years even more after all the context of the previous seasons!

the last episode I watched previously was "Resolution" and I missed the latest season, though I really love Whittaker. Rewatching season 11 put me to sleep more than any previous season, it was difficult for me to get through. The longer format and super dramatic style really killed the show for me. Season 12 was a little better in spots, but by the end of it, we were happy to be through with Who. It was such a slog with a few fun points and overall I'm quite mad about Chibnall doing this to Whittaker. I laughed fairly hard at the finale which really sucked a lot of the magic out of the show... by injecting too much magic into it I guess.

I also really wanted to like Sacha Dhawan as the Master, but he seemed to have all the crazy and angst with none of the fun. Though it's incredibly difficult to hold a candle next to Gomez, and the show did her dirty.

Just some passing thoughts on Doctor Who from a goon and his friend.

Edward Mass posted:

Please tell us what happens next series.

edit, whoops...number of the Doctor, the season of the show- whatever!

Antiquated Pants fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 16, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Antiquated Pants posted:

Season 13 was a little better in spots, but by the end of it, we were happy to be through with Who.

Please tell us what happens next series.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I really got the impression that Ko Shamus was another Jo Martin Doctor, I didn't think he was "nobody"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish writer:

https://twitter.com/ianzpotter/status/1283831038565920768?s=20

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I've finished the telesnaps for the Troughton years now after watching The Space Pirates last night. I... didn't completely hate it? I didn't have much knowledge about the actual plot going in, but from what I've heard about it I was expecting it to be probably the worst story of his tenure. It definitely wasn't great; the first few episodes were slow and excessively heavy on expository dialogue, it had some terrible choices in costumes and character concepts, but it mostly just seemed kind of mediocre to me.

It's not even my least favourite story of Season 6, I'd put it above The Krotons and probably above The Dominators too. Damning it with faint praise there, but I was expecting a total trainwreck and was really surprised that I came away thinking it was just meh.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
That’s why I voted for that in the poll - I’m positive you can make it look good with an animated reconstruction.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/RichardHigson/status/1285219164202901504?s=20

https://twitter.com/delkian/status/1285239615260155904?s=20

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Watcher sporting some snappy new threads I see.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Say it ain't so!

https://torontosun.com/news/weird/sex-cult-led-by-elderly-man-known-as-the-doctor-uncovered

quote:

Sex cult led by elderly man known as 'The Doctor' uncovered

A septuagenarian known only as ‘The Doctor’ was behind a sex cult in northern Italy in which followers were abused and brainwashed, say authorities who uncovered the alleged activity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Checked Tom Baker's age, was immediately relieved.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Tom would be too soused to bother with a sex cult

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He also would have talked incessantly about it all the time

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Great, now I can hear his voice saying "Rosie..." again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

God, the RTD era was the best.