Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah I can see Jim talking to his publisher and saying “this is where I want to take the story but to do it right it’s going to be quite a bit longer than the other books” and the publisher saying “well just split it up and we’ll do two back to back”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Daric posted:

Yeah I can see Jim talking to his publisher and saying “this is where I want to take the story but to do it right it’s going to be quite a bit longer than the other books” and the publisher saying “well just split it up and we’ll do two back to back”

Presumably the fact the Butcher has delayed so long since the last one gave the publisher more sway to split this one up. However you look at it though it's a pretty naked cash grab.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

jivjov posted:

Judging by the cover art of Battle Ground, Dresden is totally putting the spearhead on his staff. That's exciting

It also looks like he's getting a hat!

Honestly, I think he should wear a hat.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I think my favorite thread title was "Harry doesn't wear a hat!" back when this was exclusively the Dresden Files thread.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Beachcomber posted:

It also looks like he's getting a hat!

Honestly, I think he should wear a hat.

He's actually wearing a hat (a fedora, I think) on the cover of Peace Talks. Note that the hat is not pointed.

I kind of think of this as Harry Dresden and the Deathly Hallows. Part I is build-up and a lot of "tent." Part II is when poo poo gets really real.

Meanwhile, Ethnui coming "out of nowhere" kind of makes a bit os sense when you think about. Consider that the Fomor only really became a threat after the annihilation of the Red Court - which means that on some level they were weaker than the Red Court or at least evenly matched enough as to make a victory over the Red Court extremely Pyrrhic at best. Meanwhile, the Red Court would have know about Ethnui and been extremely reluctant to push things to the point that she'd take the field against them. So the Red Court and the Fomor co-existed in a grudging peace (or at least a low-key war).

Consider Ferrovax and Vadderung. The two are clearly enemies who dislike each, but there's also a sense of respect between the two. There was likely a cordial hatred between the Fomor and the Red Court for centuries if not millennia. And then the Red Court was utterly destroyed. By a human. Wizards are still human, after all. They're just humans with access to some of the Cheat Codes of the universe.

While the Red King had certainly handed Dresden the chance to do it, the fact remains that a mortal wizard destroy an entire supernatural nation and race in a single night. If it happened once it could happen again - to the Fomor.

Think about the War on Terror and how expensive it was and is in money and lives. Figure that Ethnui and the Fomor are planning a supernatural 9-11 to set humans and supernaturals at each others throats, weakening both so that the Fomor can ultimately conquer.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Everyone posted:

He's actually wearing a hat (a fedora, I think) on the cover of Peace Talks. Note that the hat is not pointed.

He's wearing a hat on every cover despite explicitly not wearing a hat in the books.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Khizan posted:

He's wearing a hat on every cover despite explicitly not wearing a hat in the books.

I'm really hoping that the cover of Mirror, Mirror has Harry With No Hat, but that the mirror universe Harry absolutely is wearing one

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

jivjov posted:

I'm really hoping that the cover of Mirror, Mirror has Harry With No Hat, but that the mirror universe Harry absolutely is wearing one

lmao someone tweet this at butcher

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

jivjov posted:

Shouldn't it be the opposite?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

As per a thread on butchers forum he somewhere said making these one book his publisher would not have been able to print it in house due to lenght.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Should Butcher get some credit for doing a male-gazey description of the male internal affairs detective?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OptimusWang posted:

About Butter’s Sword: Did anyone else think the lightsaber/conservation of energy scene was to setup Butters as the only being that can pierce the titan’s armor? I loved the Sansa loses a hand gag as much as anyone (and it does reinforce that this book is Empire), but why else do it?

Doubtful

The swords were crafted as weapons against Denarians. Against other foes, they're just plain old swords. Vampires are the only other foes the swords affect, but that's not due to anything specific to the swords but more because they are objects of faith like crucifixes and holy water.

Butters' sword will likely not harm anything other than a Denarian and vampires. As a holy object it will likely destroy Thomas. Because he's a vampire and all vampires are affected by holy objects backed by faith.

Regarding the Titan. I don't think it will be able to harm her, but I imagine he can dismantle her armor with it, since it has no restrictions on inanimate matter.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 16, 2020

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Didn't one of the swords keep Lea at bay until Harry broke it?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Avalerion posted:

Didn't one of the swords keep Lea at bay until Harry broke it?

It's steel?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Re. Butters' lightsaber: Was there not a whole conversation about how the lightsaber would not affect mortals, but act only upon evil supernaturals? Wouldn't a titan that wants to massacre humanity qualify as an evil supernatural?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Knights aren't limited to fighting Denarians; Michael has slain a Dragon before and helps Harry fight a ghost in Small Favor, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 16, 2020

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

My guess for how they are going to heal Thomas is the shroud.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Dresden the 17th notes:

The first two-third's dragged on, and I honestly thought it may have been some sort of Formor Matrix since everyone's actions seemed off. Dresden twice faced off against Ebenezer, then the Wardens, then Carlos appears even more injured during the second fete. Spewing ectoplasm seemed like it could have been his mind rebelling, but, no, it's just Dresden being an idiot and Karen Murphy has to take care of her spouse with cold medicine.

Overall I like the book and am expecting more from Battle Ground.

P.S. I accidentally ordered this via an Audible Credit and James Marsders sounded as tired of Harry's poo poo as I was.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ninurta posted:

Dresden the 17th notes:

I'm 99% certain this is book 16.

Unless you're counting SS compilations in which case it's 18.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Proteus Jones posted:

Doubtful

The swords were crafted as weapons against Denarians. Against other foes, they're just plain old swords. Vampires are the only other foes the swords affect, but that's not due to anything specific to the swords but more because they are objects of faith like crucifixes and holy water.

Butters' sword will likely not harm anything other than a Denarian and vampires. As a holy object it will likely destroy Thomas. Because he's a vampire and all vampires are affected by holy objects backed by faith.

Regarding the Titan. I don't think it will be able to harm her, but I imagine he can dismantle her armor with it, since it has no restrictions on inanimate matter.

Literally the first "Mission" Butters went on in a side story was against a non-Christian monster of myth called a Baku. The Swords can harm non-human mortal monsters of any stripe just fine.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kate Daniels meanwhile reads pretty good so far. I’m intrigued by the setting, nice change of pace to not have a masquerade.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Knights aren't limited to fighting Denarians; Michael has slain a Dragon before and helps Harry fight a ghost in Small Favor, etc.

My understanding is that the swords' power levels the playing field for the Knights against any foe whatsoever (so long as their purpose isn't betrayed/they're not being used for the wrong reasons).

So they probably wouldn't be much better than regular swords against a particularly bad mortal (and Fidellightsaberachhius wouldn't even be that good) but they make fighting foes like the Denarians, dragons, and perhaps Titans possible.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Proteus Jones posted:

Doubtful

In terms of the Dresden RPG (which was written with heavy input by Butcher) the Swords' main ability is to "level the playing field" against supernaturals by piercing/ignoring supernatural defenses. Here's the relevant part from the book:

quote:

All Creatures Are Equal Before God.

This is the truest purpose of the Swords of the Cross,
the ability that makes even ancient dragons
take pause when facing a Knight. When
facing an opponent, the Knight may spend a
fate point to ignore that opponent’s defensive
abilities (Toughness based ones, primarily),
as well as any mundane armor the foe has, for
the duration of the scene. In essence, a Sword
of the Cross may take the place of whatever it
is that a creature has a weakness to (whatever
“the Catch” is on their Toughness powers, see
page 185), on demand, so long as the Knight
can spend that fate point—particularly
handy when facing ultra-tough Denarians or
true dragons. Whatever abilities a creature
may have, the job of a Sword of the Cross
is creating a mostly even playing field—
or something very much like it—between
mortal and monster.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I don't know that we can really count on the way things work in the game to be the way they work in the books. Games are set up to be fun, not realistic.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Daric posted:

Games are set up to be fun, not realistic.

C'mon now, think this one through.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, if it were just from the game, that would be one thing, but it's been pretty clear in the books that, while the Denarians are the primary foe of the Knights, they can and do fight against all manner of supernatural evil and do so effectively. The book where Michael is introduced talks about him having fought a dragon (and established dragons as very heavy hitters) and also references him having destroyed a bunch of Black Court vampires.

I think Peace Talks is the first time it's been openly speculated in the books that the Swords have angels living inside them the way the Denarian coins have Fallen inside. This makes it likely that the Swords are subject to a similar loophole, in that they allow for angelic interference in the mortal realm but only through the instrument of their mortal wielders.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Consistent with what happened to Murphy at chiten itza, too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

That reminds me, and it's probably just my poor memory, but where is Amoracchius these days?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

docbeard posted:

That reminds me, and it's probably just my poor memory, but where is Amoracchius these days?

Harry is storing it on the island, I believe. Michael gave it back to him at the end of Skin Game since he chose the correct person (Butters) for the sword of faith.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Still in Harry’s custody, so probably has it stashed away on demonreach.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

They’re just rubber band difficulty scaling items. They’ll do whatever the plot needs them to do in order to combat power creep.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

Yeah, if it were just from the game, that would be one thing, but it's been pretty clear in the books that, while the Denarians are the primary foe of the Knights, they can and do fight against all manner of supernatural evil and do so effectively. The book where Michael is introduced talks about him having fought a dragon (and established dragons as very heavy hitters) and also references him having destroyed a bunch of Black Court vampires.

I think Peace Talks is the first time it's been openly speculated in the books that the Swords have angels living inside them the way the Denarian coins have Fallen inside. This makes it likely that the Swords are subject to a similar loophole, in that they allow for angelic interference in the mortal realm but only through the instrument of their mortal wielders.

Also, the game has little note/dialogues in the margin where Harry, Billy, Bob and maybe a couple of others comment on highlighted text within the game. The whole concept of the game is that it's a homebrew system written by Billy the Werewolf to kind of pull a Dracula on the whole supernatural communities by using the game to educate the populace (at least the RPG fan populace) about the various supernatural threats/beings in the world.

What I'm saying is that Butcher was involved enough to actually write bits of the book and included a short story for it, so the stuff in the books can probably be considered to be canon unless specifically contradicted or altered by future books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I could totes see Butters being the way they wound Eithnu for her blood, so they can then imprison her. The big question I have is, is Butcher willing to kill Butters off. I doubt it, somehow. .

anyway, my predictions for deaths in Battle Ground

Murphy (temporarily, return as einherjar or valkyrie)

McCoy (his arc is almost complete now)

At least one of Butter's girlfriends

Ramirez

Maybe Fix?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 16, 2020

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Yeah, I thought Butters was going to die when he got attacked at the church however many books ago that was. Would have been effective if Butcher had let him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wizchine posted:

Yeah, I thought Butters was going to die when he got attacked at the church however many books ago that was. Would have been effective if Butcher had let him.

Butters should have died when he jumped on Quintus Cassius's back trying to help Dresden waaaaaaaaay back in the first book he appeared in.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Butters should have died when he jumped on Quintus Cassius's back trying to help Dresden waaaaaaaaay back in the first book he appeared in.

Okay I know you hate these books but there are limits

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

Okay I know you hate these books but there are limits

Dude summoned a bunch of snakes to fight Mouse and Dresden with a snap of his fingers, there's no reason he couldn't do something similar to Butters and there was fuckall Butters could do about it.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And Butter's first knight mission in a short story is some non-Denarian monster-of-the-week that I forget.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I do think it's sort of clever how this novel is handling Harry's dealing with the Winter Mantle. He constantly mentions how the mantle makes him want to fight or gently caress everything in sight. But by focusing on the more obvious emotional effects he largely ignores the degree to which it has made him close-minded and lacking in empathy to almost everyone he interacts with. When Eb points out that living "in the open" under the protection of an inscrutable 3rd party is a terrible idea for Maggie's safety, Harry focuses instead on the personal wrongs Ebenezer did to him by having him raised in foster care. Missing completely that there is a middle path of them both living in safer location such as the Carpenter house (which is probably what will happen eventually). Similarly his conflict with the Wardens could have easily been resolved by just swearing on his power that he hadn't been sleeping with Lara, and then taking their concerns of mind control to heart and later asking Molly to check his brain for signs of tampering as she has done before.

All assuming he and other characters aren't just being poorly written to artificially generate conflict. It's hard to judge clever vs bad character writing, especially when you only get half a book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
According to the Christmas Eve short story, they’re at least celebrating Christmas after Battle Ground at the Carpenter’s house so i think there’s some merit to that