Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Packit Gourmet is my go-to. The ramen one, the burger one, and the chicken hot wings wrap are my favorites. I'd eat them as normal meals if it wasn't a waste of money.

Real Turmat is excellent too but hard to get in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Mountain house or backpacker pantry, I haven't tried any of the newer ones which sound better. It mostly comes down to which ones are actually enjoyable. Beef stroganoff is usually pretty good. I rarely buy those things anymore though. Usually just stick with real food.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
N’thing packit gourmet, though their prices went up this year. Hoping it’s just due to the prepper qnd covid insanity , buy I guess I’d be surprised if they went back down. But the portions are good and the food is delicious, and they have a bunch of cold rehydrate meal options. My favorite thing is that their stuff requires a fraction of the water needed for other meals, which is a godsend in dry areas.

The mountain house pro pack is decent too, it’s vacuum sealed and the portions are like 1.5x instead of 2x, so it’s perfect for backpacking. I love the lasagna flavors, but drat if that cheese isn’t straight up concrete on your utensils.

Backpacker Pantry is also decent, and there’s a vegan one I can’t find anymore that REI used to carry that had the best drat bean burrito I’ve ever had.

This year I’ve been moving away from dehydrated meals into oatmeal cups, pepperoni & salami & cheese bagels I can ziplock bag, fresh fruits, and jalapeno cheddar brats and tortilla shells (for the first night). Delicious, cheap, and for longer trips I’ve also been doing pbj, and dehydrating stuff at home. Like we’ll make a chili or lasagna or something, and dehydrate an extra portion or two, vacuum seal it, and pop it in the freezer till the trip. It’s good for a few days after that, and cheap and easy and endlessly customizable. Anything where I don’t have to do dishes and can pack trash out is great.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Harmony house backpacking kits are my happy medium. One bag lasts about two meals, but I combine it with instant noodles/rice. The backpacker kits have 18 bags and cost $60 last I checked.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I picked up a bag of "AlpineAire" at Cabela's last weekend, to try a new brand. It was relatively cheap at $7 vs. $10 for House.

A friend of mine recently picked up a reusable stuff-sack full of freeze dried meals at Costco. I'll have to check with him on the brand name, but it was a lot of food for a pretty good price, and the stuff-sack was nice enough that we hung it as a bear sack that night.

Edit: He said it was this https://readywise.com/collections/outdoor-food/products/readywise-2-day-adventure-bag which is 4 entrees, 2 breakfasts, and 2 snacks plus a 5L stuff sack. The site shows it for $50 but it was about $35 at Costco.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 16, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

In Finland I eat Real Turmat but it's 9€/meal, I think it is nicest.

I bought some Firepot meals from England around 7,2€/meal to try them out.

Some finnish company called Leader sells food for 6€/meal but those are all garbage. I eat them anyways because they are cheap.

Blå band from varusteleka.com is OK too. I mean the price. The food is not that good.

I am too lazy to cook & dish so I just boil water these days and pour it to the food pouch and wait. Cooking is nice in theory but as a solo backpacker.. whatever.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 17, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

In Finland I eat Real Turmat but it's 9€/meal, I think it is nicest.

I bought some Firepot meals from England around 7,2€/meal to try them out.

Some finnish company called Leader sells food for 6€/meal but those are all garbage. I eat them anyways because they are cheap.

Blå band from varusteleka.com is OK too. I mean the price. The food is not that good.

I am too lazy to cook & dish so I just boil water these days and pour it to the food pouch and wait. Cooking is nice in theory but as a solo backpacker.. whatever.

Real Turmat is the poo poo! The Fuel Your Preparation (formerly European Mountain House) stuff is pretty decent too. I bought a sample pack from them and got a fair # of packages for a decent price. (PS: you can find Real pretty cheap on the hiking/wandering forums in the fall after people get back from their outings)

The pasta meals they have at Stadium Outlet (not sure if you have those in Finland) are OK, usually cost around 65 SEK.

Does Varusteleka still sell the leirikyrpä kits?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I tried the Peak Refuel brand recently and I loving _loved_ the chicken pesto pasta. Going to try the alfredo next but so far that pesto on is one of my top 5.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

I picked up a bag of "AlpineAire" at Cabela's last weekend, to try a new brand. It was relatively cheap at $7 vs. $10 for House.

A friend of mine recently picked up a reusable stuff-sack full of freeze dried meals at Costco. I'll have to check with him on the brand name, but it was a lot of food for a pretty good price, and the stuff-sack was nice enough that we hung it as a bear sack that night.

Edit: He said it was this https://readywise.com/collections/outdoor-food/products/readywise-2-day-adventure-bag which is 4 entrees, 2 breakfasts, and 2 snacks plus a 5L stuff sack. The site shows it for $50 but it was about $35 at Costco.

Packing granola in vacuum packs is such a crazy grift. This is not a specific knock on readywise - all brands seem to do it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pham Nuwen posted:

I got a big pack of AlpineAire when REI had their sale, they ended up being $5 each. They're not nearly as salty as Mountain House. I forget what flavors I had, but they were pretty good. I definitely wouldn't complain about em, but they also weren't mindblowing. I also bring a thing of hot sauce with me just in case something ends up tasting terrible and I need to mask it. Didn't need it, but I wanted some things spicy anyway.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Maple instant oatmeal packets make a great breakfast, and Starbucks Via packets make pretty passable coffee, but if you ever find yourself holding a packet of oatmeal and a packet of Via & looking at your only cup: do not mix the two. It is not a pleasant combination.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've always been too cheap to buy dehydrated meals, so my friend and I picked up a used dehydrator when we got more serious about our canoe camping trips. Doing the pasta and chilli cooknight a few days before the trip has become a very enjoyable pre-trip ritual for us, and it saves us a ton of money. I think we need to work on developing a few more recipes though.

This year I finally got myself my dream camping accessory. After spending like a grand renting canoes over the last couple of years, I picked up a Souris River Quetico 16'. I absolutely love it. It's been a dream for tandem paddling with the wife, tripping, fishing, and solo paddling it isn't half bad either. At 42lbs it's a breeze to load and portage as well.

Taken it for a few 4night trips in Ontario crown land, and it's incredible being able to just get up and go. No dealing with an outfitter, no permits required for crown land usage. You just go! Wish I did this years ago

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I tend to do instant grits for breakfast,
Instant mashed potatoes + gravy for dinner, or a thing of ramen noodles with a packet of French onion dip mix
Plus I’ve got like a summer sausage or some such, and I usually carry in an avocado on my first day of a hike

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The mountain house breakfast pro packs are amazing. Small, and they taste almost like real food. I don’t think there’s a single “go-to” outfit for freeze dried meals though.

Someone recommended the Freezer Bag Cooking site, so I may try some of their recipes on my next trip.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Unless you're only spending a couple days max out, dehydrated meals won't do poo poo for you. It's just not enough calories. You can start discarding macro content too, because it's all about calories per gram. High fat meals like quesadillas or poo poo like cheese ravioli, or those cheese noodle things I forget the name of, are gonna keep you fueled for the longest period of time and they're totally compact. Even in heat, 1 pound tubes of ground burger will keep for up to 4 days. On longer trips I always carry some lean protein, but I consider it in the same vein as carbs, a snack to mix things up.

If you're just weekend warrioring then it doesn't matter too much, you can always just overeat when you get back. A lot of people will eat less than they normally do when they're backpacking, which is what happens to me. Both are bad habits to get into because any time you do a longer distance trip your blood sugar can get low enough you'll start gettin lightheaded or pass out, which is also what's happened to me.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's a couple who do giant outings, like 1000s of miles. They found out the hard way about burning up all the fat reserves. Their food page is legit

http://www.aktrekking.com/food.html

Using up all your glycogen? You're a sprinter. Using up all your fat is the true long distance

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Epitope posted:

There's a couple who do giant outings, like 1000s of miles. They found out the hard way about burning up all the fat reserves. Their food page is legit

http://www.aktrekking.com/food.html

Using up all your glycogen? You're a sprinter. Using up all your fat is the true long distance

Those guys are awesome. It's even more hardcore that they did some of those hikes with a baby.

The recipes page is great. Any recipe that starts with a kilo and a half of nutella is pretty awesome.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yooper posted:

Those guys are awesome. It's even more hardcore that they did some of those hikes with a baby.

The recipes page is great. Any recipe that starts with a kilo and a half of nutella is pretty awesome.

Vegan pemmican

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

is it OK to eat uncooked flour in quantity like that? I always thought flour needed to be cooked.
I guess people eat cookie dough raw though so maybe not.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Leperflesh posted:

is it OK to eat uncooked flour in quantity like that? I always thought flour needed to be cooked.
I guess people eat cookie dough raw though so maybe not.

Raw flour can harbor e coli and salmonella, so eating it's inadvisable.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah you should cook the flour, but you could probably just throw it dry on a sheet tray and bake it in the oven a little bit

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

thatguy posted:

Even in heat, 1 pound tubes of ground burger will keep for up to 4 days.

Aside from being incredible unappetizing and goony, this seems unnecessarily risky for causing stomach problems, it's messy, and it's non-nutrient dense. And I'm getting ill thinking about eating more than a TBSP of Sklup™ in one sitting

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

that has to be a joke right? no one is carrying warm chubs of raw ground beef four days into the backcountry right???

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Math You posted:

I've always been too cheap to buy dehydrated meals, so my friend and I picked up a used dehydrator when we got more serious about our canoe camping trips. Doing the pasta and chilli cooknight a few days before the trip has become a very enjoyable pre-trip ritual for us, and it saves us a ton of money. I think we need to work on developing a few more recipes though.

For dehydrated meats I've had the best luck slow cooking and shredding things before dehydrating them. They re-hydrate quick and retain a pretty good texture. Shredded beef with some instant mashed potatoes and some ghee is great. Shredded chicken and some corn tortillas, dehydrated beans or refried beans and some hot sauce makes for decent trail tacos too.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Chard posted:

that has to be a joke right? no one is carrying warm chubs of raw ground beef four days into the backcountry right???

Not ideal, better when we get into september and the nights are cold. Helps that we're in low humidity so shade keeps things cool. I prefer cooked sausages but sometimes you get tired of the same protein over and over again. Like, our business doesn't operate like you guys. I wouldn't even contemplate mountain home or other garbage meals you guys uniformly seem to jockey over because we're packing 35 pounds of tools, and have to stay out for up to 12 days. But I mean good luck with all that

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thatguy posted:

Not ideal, better when we get into september and the nights are cold. Helps that we're in low humidity so shade keeps things cool. I prefer cooked sausages but sometimes you get tired of the same protein over and over again. Like, our business doesn't operate like you guys. I wouldn't even contemplate mountain home or other garbage meals you guys uniformly seem to jockey over because we're packing 35 pounds of tools, and have to stay out for up to 12 days. But I mean good luck with all that

but are you eating raw beef from the tube

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imagine the weight savings in not having to pack in a cast iron skillet to cook the ground beef!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thatguy posted:

I also don't use toilet paper and as of yet I haven't managed to poo poo all over my hands. Know your limitations

thatguy posted:

There's an entire industry centered around making people scared of their water supply, especially considering how strong a healthy human's immune and digestive systems are. Why are you guys shocked at horror stories trying to scare you into hundred dollar filtering systems?

thatguy posted:

I work backpacking 6 months a year, and most of you should be concerned less with jerking each other off about your latest goretex-covered 1.1 pound down bag you're buying for 700 dollars and more with getting absolutely everybody you ever see to go outside.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol this dude rocks

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

FCKGW posted:

so you guys don't carry stoves and pots?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I can’t really rag on beef packer because I’ll eat fish I catch on the trail.

I will eat them dead.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thatguy posted:

so you guys don't carry stoves and pots?

No, just your comment and answer made is seem like you were shoveling spoonfuls of raw meat while on the trail

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If slorping down raw ground beef from a bag like it’s a big protein-packed gogurt is wrong, I don’t want to be right

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's called trail tartare and it's high class you plebs :rolleyes:

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
I've been looking for some gloves for the wife and I for camping and hiking. Just something reasonably warm for cooler (above freezing) weather, and either waterproof or with a liner. We're in Canada, so REI is out and MEC doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for. We're both pretty new to this, but have had some great hikes so far, and I'm taking the thread's advice and getting the Cascade Mountain trekking poles. Costco doesn't have them in Canada, but Amazon had them and they're cheaper than any other full carbon fibre pole.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of the Cascade Mountain trekking poles, a packrat chewed the straps off both of mine a couple weeks ago. Anybody ever replace those straps? Having gone hiking without the straps since then... I kind of miss them.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sockser posted:

If slorping down raw ground beef from a bag like it’s a big protein-packed gogurt is wrong, I don’t want to be right

title.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I don't think he ever implied that.

thatguy I understand you're an experienced backpacker and we could probably all learn a thing or two from you. However you are always super cranky and offer some wild advice that I don't think you understand is way different for someone taking their week off to go to Yosemite vs 6 months of trail maintenance.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I don't think he ever implied that.

thatguy I understand you're an experienced backpacker and we could probably all learn a thing or two from you. However you are always super cranky and offer some wild advice that I don't think you understand is way different for someone taking their week off to go to Yosemite vs 6 months of trail maintenance.

Nah I do, all the wacky poo poo we get into is ludicrous half the time. Last year my partner hired an 18 year old who'd just done a summer for the SCA or something, and without my knowledge he somehow convinced her to do a 10 day run with no tent. He doesn't use tents at all if he's alone, he just sleeps under trees. We can get away with that in a lot of the inland west.

And the reality is drinking unpurified in a lot of areas is just unsafe, and the only reason I don't use TP is because it takes up too much room for long runs when we're already maxing out space on food, I thoroughly enjoy wiping my rear end with paper products and taking a poo poo on a toilet. Honestly don't mean to be cranky

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Chiming in from the crowd who thinks those dehydrated meals are hilariously low calorie, that’s why you make meals using packaged tuna/dehydrated beans/powdered eggs/whatever else for protein, not raw meat dude goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Honestly don't mean to be cranky

I think raging against the consumerism machine makes people think we're raging at them. Branding tells us our consumer choices define our identity, so ragging on mountain house feels bad to the mountain house eater. It's another bummer of the commodification of going outside