Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I must be out of my loving mind, because I keep seeing hate for the Regulators when it's long been one of my favorite King books.

I still maintain the King/Bachman crediting for Desperation and Regulators is rear end backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

oldpainless posted:

2 barely makes it past ok

excuse you

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

oldpainless posted:

I’ve read Under The Dome and all I can remember from it is an interesting beginning, Big Jim being cartoonishly evil, children having the absolute worst dialogue, and thinking it could probably have been like 600 pages shorter

teenagers in that book sound like Pootie Tang if he was painfully white

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2i5LawiI3A

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’ve never read the original Dark Tower before the edits so I wonder how different it reads

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nate fisher posted:

Well it is my one glaring hole in my King reading. I did remember enjoying the first 3 books, but that was like 20 years ago or something. Wish me luck.

Same. I've never read any of the gunslinger/Dark Tower books and still have zero interest, especially having learned of the legendary terrible payoff. If I want a King story with a lovely ending, I'll just read...well...1/3 of his library like I have done instead of a 6 or 7 book long epic.

I must be out of my loving mind, because I keep seeing hate for the Regulators when it's long been one of my favorite King books.

Can confirm you are out of your mind, yes.

EDIT: I really liked the movies Gerald's Game, 1922 and Cujo even though the books weren't fantastic (I liked GG and Cujo more than most here though). What's the best example of one of King's worst books being turned into a good film I wonder? We have several examples of it working the other way.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 15, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

bobjr posted:

I’ve never read the original Dark Tower before the edits so I wonder how different it reads

My understanding is very very little is different, like they added a bit where someone says "19 is a very important number" in passing and then it comes up again in like book 6?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Are we talking about the original versus expanded The Gunslinger? Wikipedia has a decent summary of the differences.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

All those changes are terrible. King should've left it alone. Half of them are things that could be explained as inconsistencies induced by barriers between worlds getting thin as beams fail, or tied to Roland's eventual fate where we already know that small details can change in each iteration depending on his actions in the previous one .

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 16, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Man I did not like the Dr. Sleep movie. Like, I liked the book well enough and I liked the changes they made for the movie adaptation, I liked the actors and the flashbacks were really well done, but something about it just felt very... procedural? I dunno.

Plus, they overused the old woman in the tub. The last shot was bordering on farcical.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Everything young Roland is better than old Roland. The whole thing with Cort in 1 is the best part of that book. And Wizard and Glass is far better than the rest of the series.

I'd love to read a full on, chronological account of Roland from pre-challenge with Cort till the fall of Gilead, including Jericho Hill.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

joepinetree posted:

Everything young Roland is better than old Roland. The whole thing with Cort in 1 is the best part of that book. And Wizard and Glass is far better than the rest of the series.

I'd love to read a full on, chronological account of Roland from pre-challenge with Cort till the fall of Gilead, including Jericho Hill.

A finger on the monkey's paw curls...

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Isn't this what the comic books are? I've picked up a couple of them, I was not impressed.

Also the art style is a.... unconventional choice that I don't think really fits the subject matter.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I briefly had a subscription to the comics at my local shop and dropped it pretty goddamn quick, they were a huge disappointment.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Which book was the one that sidetracked into hundreds of pages of a Bonanza episode? That's as far as I got.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

moths posted:

Which book was the one that sidetracked into hundreds of pages of a Bonanza episode? That's as far as I got.

Book 4, Wizard and Glass. I was so pissed when I first read it because it was the last book that was out and it barely moved the plot forward. When I went back to it later it became my second favorite of the series (Waste Lands is the best). It’s really good IMO.

E:6 is definitely the worst but it still has some parts that are really good. The shootout in the 70’s kicked a ton of rear end. The cliffhanger also had me super hyped for book 7.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 16, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

poo poo, now I'm going to end up reading that all the way.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Even if you're not interested in the series read book one imo

java
May 7, 2005

I will defend both The Regulators and Desperation as being both highly enjoyable and weird as hell.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Book 4, Wizard and Glass. I was so pissed when I first read it because it was the last book that was out and it barely moved the plot forward. When I went back to it later it became my second favorite of the series (Waste Lands is the best). It’s really good IMO.

E:6 is definitely the worst but it still has some parts that are really good. The shootout in the 70’s kicked a ton of rear end. The cliffhanger also had me super hyped for book 7.

yup. im not terribly old but old enough that cable tv wasnt a thing my family could afford so we'd sit around in 1993 and read the dark tower books outloud to each other. we left off with blaine being a pain when i was in elementary school and rejoin later when i was in high school.wizard and glass owns, but hot drat was i pissed when i first learned I'd be off to neuevo mexico by way of mayberry

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So there's a podcast called The Kingcast that's worth checking out. It's about King books and adaptations that has had a great line up of guests talking about their favourites. So the director of DR SLEEP is on there talking about 1408, or MISERY with Elijah Wood.

There's a great ep with Glen Mazzara who was going to be running that Amazon DARK TOWER show. He gets into what they were going to do and it sounded cool. Anyway, the new one is Damian Echols talking about THE GUNSLINGER and the DT series as a whole, turns out he's a massive fan (and his love of King was one of the things used against him initially).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the damian echols episode of midnight gospel was wild. weird dude and for good reason

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
in The Stand, was it Flagg who caused the virus to be released or did Flagg show up because the virus was released? I seem to recall Flagg being somewhat confused at the start of The Stand, but it's been a while. I wonder if SK has considered re-editing The Stand again to better fit into his universe. Maybe ram in a few nineteen references and a 'sai' or two.

Probably the serious answer, it was God all along.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Canuckistan posted:

in The Stand, was it Flagg who caused the virus to be released or did Flagg show up because the virus was released? I seem to recall Flagg being somewhat confused at the start of The Stand, but it's been a while. I wonder if SK has considered re-editing The Stand again to better fit into his universe. Maybe ram in a few nineteen references and a 'sai' or two.

The virus getting out was 100 percent human fallibility and Campion panicking and fleeing with his family, Flagg just took advantage of the chaos.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I took it was the virus (well that fact it was going to cause the end of the world) that woke Flagg up? That he was in some form of hibernation before that.

Still release date for The Stand miniseries, but filming was completed back in March. What Marilyn Manson is playing Trashcan Man? Not sure how I feel about that.

Edit: Timeline question: I always assumed The Eyes of the Dragon took place after The Stand, and that the Dark Tower took place after The Eyes of the Dragon, is that correct? Or is it just another dimension where time doesn't matter? Like I said before I only read the first 3 books of the Dark Tower series (I don't know how it ends, but I've been spoiled enough to know it is very meta) , and also I only read The Eyes of the Dragon once back in the 80's.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 16, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nate fisher posted:

I took it was the virus (well that fact it was going to cause the end of the world) that woke Flagg up? That he was in some form of hibernation before that.

Still release date for The Stand miniseries, but filming was completed back in March. What Marilyn Manson is playing Trashcan Man? Not sure how I feel about that.

I’m more iffy about Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail. I’m sure she’ll be fine but it’s just the most obvious casting you could possibly do and feels like something they thought about for half a second before going “gently caress it, why not”

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

Human pride produced the virus, human fear and fallibility let it get out into the open. Flagg was able to manifest more strongly and permanently because of the impending widespread death, devastation, chaos, and conflict.

The epilogue suggests that until humanity gets up and running again it might be near impossible to get rid of him.

Another one of those things that King should've left alone. Having Flagg/Marten be the same guy is fine but collapsing them into Walter as well doesn't make sense at all.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's a shame because for all it's faults, the '94 Stand miniseries had some excellent casting. Gary Sinise, Ray Walston, Ruby Dee, Miguel Ferrer, Matt Frewer and Bill Fagerbakke all seemed like they came out of my head as I was reading the book. And holy poo poo, Bobby Terry was Sam Raimi? I always thought it was Ted.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It's a shame because for all it's faults, the '94 Stand miniseries had some excellent casting. Gary Sinise, Ray Walston, Ruby Dee, Miguel Ferrer, Matt Frewer and Bill Fagerbakke all seemed like they came out of my head as I was reading the book. And holy poo poo, Bobby Terry was Sam Raimi? I always thought it was Ted.

Yeah agreed. Ray Walston was great. I always thought Shawnee Smith did a good job as Julie Lawry too. I still watch the miniseries once every few years for nostalgia

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

nate fisher posted:

Edit: Timeline question: I always assumed The Eyes of the Dragon took place after The Stand, and that the Dark Tower took place after The Eyes of the Dragon, is that correct? Or is it just another dimension where time doesn't matter? Like I said before I only read the first 3 books of the Dark Tower series (I don't know how it ends, but I've been spoiled enough to know it is very meta) , and also I only read The Eyes of the Dragon once back in the 80's.

If "time" is in any way relevant, the last few DT books definitely take place after the majority of King's interconnected bibliography.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
In It, Beverly at one point scares it by yelling "The grackles know your real name!"

What the gently caress was that? Grackles don't come up in any other context, and birds are a Stan theme, not a Beverly theme. It's just some completely random thing that she yells. Would It have been scared off by her yelling "Purple monkey dishwasher!"

April
Jul 3, 2006

Phanatic posted:

In It, Beverly at one point scares it by yelling "The grackles know your real name!"

What the gently caress was that? Grackles don't come up in any other context, and birds are a Stan theme, not a Beverly theme. It's just some completely random thing that she yells. Would It have been scared off by her yelling "Purple monkey dishwasher!"

If I remember correctly, during That Scene, she had some kind of vision of the birds & was able to relax & be ok with it. It may be the turtle sending her some kind of message, or some way of summoning some force inside herself. No, I'm not going to go back & look.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
do you guys think they might re-write mother abigail a bit in this new series so it doesn't hit as many corny 'magical negro' points as it does in the book?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

They will for sure sand the more egregious edges off the character unless they want a huge controversy on their hands.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pull an anti-Shawshank and cast the character as white.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah agreed. Ray Walston was great. I always thought Shawnee Smith did a good job as Julie Lawry too. I still watch the miniseries once every few years for nostalgia

I really hope the new one re-creates that opening.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

nate fisher posted:

In the Dark Tower series, the portals can connect to other universes at multiple points in time, with the sole exception of the universe the real Stephen King lives in. This kind of makes the question meaningless. That said, Roland's home of Gilead is almost certainly not the world of The Stand, because they visit that world through a portal at one point.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BiggerBoat posted:

Same. I've never read any of the gunslinger/Dark Tower books and still have zero interest, especially having learned of the legendary terrible payoff. If I want a King story with a lovely ending, I'll just read...well...1/3 of his library like I have done instead of a 6 or 7 book long epic.

Can confirm you are out of your mind, yes.

EDIT: I really liked the movies Gerald's Game, 1922 and Cujo even though the books weren't fantastic (I liked GG and Cujo more than most here though). What's the best example of one of King's worst books being turned into a good film I wonder? We have several examples of it working the other way.

Regulators is the one with laxative ex machina right?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Regulators is the one where Tak possesses an autistic child, and is incapacitated via laxatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m more iffy about Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail. I’m sure she’ll be fine but it’s just the most obvious casting you could possibly do and feels like something they thought about for half a second before going “gently caress it, why not”

True, but sometimes it works out.

Jack Nicholson as Joker, Patrick Stewart as Professor Xavier and Ian McKellan as Gandalf immediately spring to mind.

Hell, sticking to King, Kathy Bates was perfect as Annie Wilkes.