Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GutBomb posted:

I think the post has a bit of hyperbole in it. With the context of the guys other posts he didn’t mean that at 10:58 PM on July 15th 2020 he realized that he had been wrong.

When she did it the floodgates of insanity hadn’t fully opened yet so it was perfectly reasonable to think “there’s no way that she did that on purpose... is there?”

Hindsight is what lets us see that it was clearly intentional.
There's no other loving way that a normal human would do the Hitler like that. It was so obviously intentional that the "oops hehe" moment of her correction was totally to provide cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm in a convenience store, masked up and distancing, and in front of me I see a white, ugly, overweight sunburned couple with no shoes on, no masks on, the guy has one of those camouflage baseball hats on wit h the bill creased extra hard and a fish hook on it, U.S. flag swim trunks and they're picking up two cases of Natural Light, 2 of those huge 48 oz fountain drinks, carrying 3 scratch off tickets while pushing up close to the back of the line with no attempt at keeping distance from anyone.

Where should I place my bet?

I grew up in Oklahoma, spent several years living in Texas and Louisiana and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this post or anything it implies

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

Hindsight is what lets us see that it was clearly intentional.

No, it was super obvious back then. The only way to not see it was to not want to see it. The only thing hindsight has done is take away the cover people were using to pretend things weren’t really that bad, so they could continue to coast comfortably and not have to think about it too much.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FilthyImp posted:

Jesus christ man how the gently caress does someone defend that?

I didn't defend her. Making a nazi salute on live tv during the RNC just seemed to over the stop and stupid even for them. I'm firmly convinced it was muscle memory now. I listen fine.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Add this to the pile of things that'll be disregard until it's blatant:

Trump won't leave office when he loses. He'll insist on investigations and sit as president until forcibly removed.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't defend her. Making a nazi salute on live tv during the RNC just seemed to over the stop and stupid even for them. I'm firmly convinced it was muscle memory now. I listen fine.

When I googled this this morning to find a video of it, the first hit I got was Slate "examining" it and concluding it was "an accident" or "trolling the libs."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyDnFKz20Lc

Also, lol

quote:

1. Ingraham is a Nazi and wants everyone to know it. Odds: Zero! The Fox News contributor has previously been quite clear that she thinks likening the GOP to the party of Hitler is “a really ridiculous comparison.” She was also quick today to dismiss the focus on her speech-ending hand gesture as the work of “desperate liberals.”

"No, she thinks comparing the Republicans to the Nazis is bad and also I take her at her word when she attacks her political opponents!"

Oh, and as for the muscle memory thing?

quote:

2. Ingraham is a Nazi and, while she doesn’t want people to know it, force of habit got the best of her in all the excitement. Odds: Also zero! Moving on.

Thanks Slate. Good job! :bravo:

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 16, 2020

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Add this to the pile of things that'll be disregard until it's blatant:

Trump won't leave office when he loses. He'll insist on investigations and sit as president until forcibly removed.
It's not really an option. Unlike in some systems of government, where the chief executive is chief executive until replaced, the President is only the president for a set period of time unless re-innaugurated. Even if he stamps his feet and contests the outcome of the election, to the point where the electoral college can't meet to certify the results, he still stops being the president on January 20th, 2021, at which point President Pelosi gets to tell the secret service to bundle him out of the office.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Leofish posted:

Oh, and as for the muscle memory thing?
[/i]

Thanks Slate. Good job! :bravo:

Holy poo poo, they don't even bother trying to think of an explanation.

Has Ingraham done anything after this that's just as/even more blatant so I can shove it in people's faces that told me that I was being paranoid? Not American so I miss poo poo like this constantly if I'm not paying attention.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Here's a taster

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

No, it was super obvious back then. The only way to not see it was to not want to see it. The only thing hindsight has done is take away the cover people were using to pretend things weren’t really that bad, so they could continue to coast comfortably and not have to think about it too much.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to accept that someone just threw a sig heil on stage at the loving RNC. Even knowing how terrible the right has descended it would represent a new and very scary depth. I did the same thing and my mind initially rejected it because it was too despicable to comprehend. Of course it also primed me to keep a very close eye on them as you only get so many "oopsy!"s and well.... we all know what happened over the past few years.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's not really an option. Unlike in some systems of government, where the chief executive is chief executive until replaced, the President is only the president for a set period of time unless re-innaugurated. Even if he stamps his feet and contests the outcome of the election, to the point where the electoral college can't meet to certify the results, he still stops being the president on January 20th, 2021, at which point President Pelosi gets to tell the secret service to bundle him out of the office.
I have seen this opinion expressed elsewhere quite a lot, and I just don't understand it. After everything that Trump has done, criminal, corrupt, "norm-breaking", etc., how can people still believe that some sort of non-self executing time stamp is going to restrain him? What happens when he says the election is fraudulent and specifically refuses to accept the results? What happens when Bill Barr says the constitution demands this or that and that the DoJ is investigating "wide spread irregularities"? What happens when the Chief Justice refuses to conduct the inauguration because "we owe it to our constitution to get this right"?

Why, in other words, do people still believe that our system is anything other than an absolute house of cards, just waiting for the slightest breeze to topple it completely?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

JohnClark posted:

I have seen this opinion expressed elsewhere quite a lot, and I just don't understand it. After everything that Trump has done, criminal, corrupt, "norm-breaking", etc., how can people still believe that some sort of non-self executing time stamp is going to restrain him? What happens when he says the election is fraudulent and specifically refuses to accept the results? What happens when Bill Barr says the constitution demands this or that and that the DoJ is investigating "wide spread irregularities"? What happens when the Chief Justice refuses to conduct the inauguration because "we owe it to our constitution to get this right"?

Why, in other words, do people still believe that our system is anything other than an absolute house of cards, just waiting for the slightest breeze to topple it completely?

Lmao. Noone's going to the mat for the orange blob. You massively underestimate the power of legitimacy and the inertia of nation-states.

Even Putin spent twenty years juggling titles and offices before officially becoming preznit for life.

Breaking norms is one thing, breaking the system is another.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 16, 2020

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Lmao. Noone's going to the mat for the orange blob. You massively underestimate the power of legitimacy and the inertia of nation-states.

Even Putin spent twenty years juggling titles and offices before officially becoming preznit for life.

Donald Trump of all people is not going to inspire his cronies to loyalty once he's out of power. They won't even stop leaking poo poo or writing tell all books about him when he's still president

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

JohnClark posted:

Literally everybody in Washington who is not Lindsey Graham has been signalling their willingness to throw Trump under the bus if he loses in November since the start of the pandemic.

Who is going to obey Trump's unlawful orders? The military? Remember when the SecDef and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs publicly disavowed Trump's stupid church walk stuff? They never throw even that kind of low level shade at normal presidents. The courts? Chief Roberts just rejected an attempt to establish presidential immunity to prosecution because he cares more about the court's legacy than Trump's politics, and even in the extremely unlikely event that he didn't innaugurate Biden after he won, that still wouldn't make Trump the President after Jan 20th.

Trump has the ruling instincts of a despot without the interest in actually building a power base.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I've got this very specific nightmare scenario that I can't get out of my head: Russia is going to massively tamper with the election and "accidentally" get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. If they rig it so trump wins, the spineless Democrats are going to make speeches about how they "hope the president does the right thing" and absolutely gently caress all else. If they rig it so Biden wins (or Biden just wins and the Russians say "whoopsie!"), trump will annul the election and declare that we can't hold another one until corona virus is under control.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trump is an enormous crybaby who folds like a cheap suit. He's gonna stamp his feet about how he totally won if you don't count the 20 million illegal votes and tweet from his golden apartment.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Jarvisi posted:

Donald Trump of all people is not going to inspire his cronies to loyalty once he's out of power. They won't even stop leaking poo poo or writing tell all books about him when he's still president

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Literally everybody in Washington who is not Lindsey Graham has been signalling their willingness to throw Trump under the bus if he loses in November since the start of the pandemic.

Who is going to obey Trump's unlawful orders? The military? Remember when the SecDef and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs publicly disavowed Trump's stupid church walk stuff? They never throw even that kind of low level shade at normal presidents. The courts? Chief Roberts just rejected an attempt to establish presidential immunity to prosecution because he cares more about the court's legacy than Trump's politics, and even in the extremely unlikely event that he didn't innaugurate Biden after he won, that still wouldn't make Trump the President after Jan 20th.

Trump has the ruling instincts of a despot without the interest in actually building a power base.

yup. this video goes into detail. trump has spent the past four years breaking every rule in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

Trump is an enormous crybaby who folds like a cheap suit. He's gonna stamp his feet about how he totally won if you don't count the 20 million illegal votes and tweet from his golden apartment.

More realistically, he will get his own show on OANN or start his own network like he originally wanted, because he and his followers would rather forever believe that the system is cockblocking them.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
And he definitely isn't going to be in his golden apartment. I don't think he'll ever set foot in New York again unless he's dragged there to talk to the Southern District about all his crimes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

je1 healthcare posted:

More realistically, he will get his own show on OANN or start his own network like he originally wanted, because he and his followers would rather forever believe that the system is cockblocking them.

Yeah people don't seem to grasp how miserable Trump is being president. The only reason he wants to be re-elected is he doesn't want to be seen as a loser.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Yeah, Trump is going to throw a prolonged tantrum if he loses, and expect a lot of "this was an invalid election, we should not accept it!" rhetoric from the RWM. But when the day comes, Trump is going to leave the White House and fall back into the cushy lifestyle of softball interviews and promoted tweet-storms until he croaks.

Rather than being worried about Trump leaving office, I'm much more concerned about violence coming from the people that have been radicalized over the years. I can't help but think that a Trump loss is going to cause a wave of "vigilante" violence, mostly from the Qanon crowd. They're really itching for it. Granted, it'll probably be "isolated incidents" rather than any organized mob, but there are a ton of people out there that have been conditioned to view anything other than a Republican landslide this November as being caused by George Soros and his sniveling lackeys.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I understand that Trump is, himself, and incompetent moron. But there are a lot of people who have entirely cast their lot with him, who are not that. Just look at this:
https://twitter.com/sparrowmedia/status/1283436911307218948
Someone gave the order to have this poo poo done, likely Bill Barr. Why are we so confident that Republican senators or whoever else is going to stop him, if he makes a move come election time?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

That's my thinking, he provides tons of cover for dirtbags at every level of power to go ham on their preferred punching bags, and he's got tons of dipshit believers who will follow him to the grave (inshallah). There are a bunch of people deeply invested in trump, I don't think it will be anywhere near as simple as everyone just walks away from him.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

greazeball posted:

That's my thinking, he provides tons of cover for dirtbags at every level of power to go ham on their preferred punching bags, and he's got tons of dipshit believers who will follow him to the grave (inshallah). There are a bunch of people deeply invested in trump, I don't think it will be anywhere near as simple as everyone just walks away from him.

You will be fuckin amazed how few microseconds it will take for Trump to be persona non grata the instant he loses the oval office.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

What I and others are talking about is how many people are invested in keeping him in that office. Just having him there gives a lot of people free rein to do whatever the gently caress they've always wanted and they're never going to have so little oversight and so much protection again. When he's gone he's gone (and most people will pretend they never heard of him), but I really don't think he's going to go easy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A lot of Republicans are smart enough to know that losing Trump could get them big gains in the 2022 midterms. Bush and the Republicans (with an earlier assist by the Clinton admin) destroyed the economy and in the first midterms after it happened voters swept the Republicans back into power. Granted Obama totally hosed up the response to the recession but even then that's insane.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1283815538502893568

Weird to use a Cspan video for this, but ok

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jarvisi posted:

Not his cronies but I honestly doubt his die hard followers are going to memory hole him the way they did W, Palin, Paul Ryan and some of the others. This presidency has escalated this RWM poo poo to whole new tier (paging Prester Jane to the thread). If nothing else, like someone else posted, he does something like buy OANN or do regular spots on Newsmax and poo poo while he continues to hawk "Don't Blame Me, I voted for Trump!" t-shirts and poo poo and tweet about Biden and the rigged election.

ALso,

BiggerBoat posted:

So Rush assured his viewers today that only HE knows the REAL reason that Mary Trump's book release got moved up but he's totally sworn to secrecy so we'll all just have to trust him when he says it has nothing to do with "unprecedented enthusiastic interest" in the thing. Sure, Rush.

You'd never lie to us.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/media/mary-trump-book-sales/index.html

Mary Trump's book breaks record with mammoth sales

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You will be fuckin amazed how few microseconds it will take for Trump to be persona non grata the instant he loses the oval office.

You should go back and re-read some of the election threads from 2016. Or even some posts in this thread from the same time period. We're in a whole new level of "what law?" and "what are you gonna do about it"..."this will NEVER HAPPEN" right now and I thnk you better come to grips with a new reality. "Alternative facts" and all that. Angry rednecks and mean cops DYING to use up all that dry powder. Ignorance, fear and stupidity run amok. Broke, sick, angry and desperate people with no FDR in sight to save us. Decades of underfunded education.

This makes poo poo like Watergate, Iran Contra, 2008 recession and the Iraq War seem like kid stuff.

I've been reading a lot of history books lately that talk about some of those things and the way they describe it is eerily prescient.

Trump is not Palin, Ben Carson, Christ Christie or even Rush Limbaugh. He's the ultimate RWM created Frankenstein monster that finally achieved life, burst from the castle and (somehow) is the very embodiment of what 40+ years of Christian Evangelicalism sees as the vessel for some weird theocratic (prosperity gospel) dictatorship, plus the corporations that really run this country are almost 100% on board. They're seeing what they can get away with, BLM not withstanding. A 40+ approval rating is downright terrifying to me and a strong stock market should tell EVERYONE all they need to know because that should be in the tank right now.

poo poo is hitting he fan and his followers are not going to memory hole him primarily because he MADE IT. And his creators achieved LIFE with their orange golem. Look how fast the "never trumpers" fell over themselves to suck his dick.

EDIT:

Sorry, I'm on a rant here but speaking of Trump fellaters and sorry for double posting but here's Ron Desantis saying the media never asked him about C19 in May with total proof to the contrary that half the country won't see or hear because they watch FOX NEws.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/07/16/florida-gov-ron-desantis-coronavirus-media-fact-check-nr-vpx.cnn

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 16, 2020

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

2016: "Trump isn't going to win."
2017: "There are checks and balances that will keep Trump in line."
2017-2020: :allbuttons:
2020: "Everyone will abandon Trump if he loses."

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Leofish posted:

They will the nanosecond he no longer has any power. The trick will be getting to that point.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Leofish posted:

Basically.

Although BiggerBoat is so, so very close to the correct conclusion that all of the previous scandals cited are actually just the natural progression of the twin snakes of continued accumulation of executive power and authority, and capital accumulation that continues to just blow the previous high-water mark for it away each year. Trump isn't some weird deviation, he's entirely consistent with the effective absence of these supposed limitations in the face of such social and economic forces.

There was a point four or five years ago where I was similarly shocked, but that passed pretty quickly when I actually put Trump in context of the historical progression of the United States, which started off not very great and has at this point more or less hit a free-fall.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Leofish posted:

Once he stops being useful he'll definitely be abandoned, because his very last use is to be blamed for everything so the republican party can act like this was totally just an aberration for real everyone. This pandemic is making that really easy on them too, they can blame all the fuckups on him and him alone and then when everything is still poo poo in two years because they won't even have unraveled a tenth of the ways he's hosed up the country by then they can use that to try and get them back the whole legislative branch for exciting new future ways to destroy all life.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 17, 2020

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

This can’t be the first and it won’t be the last.

https://twitter.com/qanonanonymous/status/1283901937541234688?s=21

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Feinne posted:

Once he stops being useful he'll definitely be abandoned, because his very last use is to be blamed for everything so the republican party can act like this was totally just an aberration for real everyone. This pandemic is making that really easy on them too, they can blame all the fuckups on him and him alone and then when everything is still poo poo in two years because they won't even have unraveled a tenth of the ways he's hosed up the country by then they can use that to try and get them back the whole legislative branch for exciting new future ways to destroy all life.

Nope, nope nope

IF he loses, they'll blame everything on Biden (see: Obama, Barrack H.) and the GOP will be continue to be overrun and stuck with DJT 2.0 as they all try to out conservative each other. If he somehow wins, as it stands right now, we'll know for sure that there IS an actual fix taking place while 40% of the country says "see? Told you the news/polls were fake". How can you be so obtuse to this constant doubling down and how gradually normalized this poo poo is becoming?

Trump's not going anywhere, win or lose, and his cult will follow him. Future candidates will be beholden for whatever passes as "news" on whatever TV show he winds up on while they cram all every gerrymandered district int eh country full of Tea Party Qanon true believers. WE're past the point of being able to laugh at these people or assume that the people running know better. They are IN the government now. And we'll get 4 years of calling for investigations into voter fraud as Biden does his best to weakly urinate on a country that's in complete flames.

We all made fun of the Tea Party folks too and now that seems almost quaint.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

They will the nanosecond he no longer has any power. The trick will be getting to that point.

Right. If he loses power. Backing him while he denies reality means he keeps power. You folks thinking he's going quietly into the night are killing me.

The Whitehouse is demanding hospitals report direct to them, circumventing the CDC. The mayor of Atlanta just made a mask mandate and the republican governor is suing.

These sycophants are all in. They are with Trump, no matter what.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Right. If he loses power. Backing him while he denies reality means he keeps power. You folks thinking he's going quietly into the night are killing me.

The Whitehouse is demanding hospitals report direct to them, circumventing the CDC. The mayor of Atlanta just made a mask mandate and the republican governor is suing.

These sycophants are all in. They are with Trump, no matter what.

He’s not going to go quietly. He’s going to whine and bitch and tweet and piss and moan, then he’s going to shuffle out the door like the sniveling coward he is.

Some of you have lost all perspective if you think the gap between “loud mouth surrounded by opportunistic parasites” and “overthrowing the United States government” is that narrow.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm beginning to think that the paradox of intolerance must extend to all those who seek to deny the rights of others and must be purged like they cancer to society they are.

They can go live in Greenland

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dont mess up a good piece of dirty.

just lock them all in FL or TX, or Donnie's poo poo tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Feinne posted:

:hmmyes: You make a sound argument, and I'm happy to be proven wrong. Some of the, "Oh, it'll never happen" talk just has me thinking of all the other things that were never supposed to happen.

Four months to go!